Melbourne Football

Osama Malik

Cityscape

Can't say I've ever been much of a Malik fan - has always come across as a bit of a douche. 

That said Williams hasn't really came close to consistent game time off the bench (let alone actually starting regularly) so probably a very good move. IIRC Williams is / was on a decent quid too so hopefully it opens up some extra cap space. 

Edited by mattyh001

Good move for both clubs. Williams will get more game time and is a huge improvement on the shit truck that is Djite, but that's not saying much.

Guessing Malik is expendable now that Jordan Elsey has come in at centre back and shown himself to be quite good. A pairing of Chapman and Malik would allow us to keep the ball on the deck at the back a lot more.

From what little I've seen of him he looks pretty decent. Can't remember how strong aerially he his but from what I could tell is capable of playing it out reliably. 

I think if this signing is confirmed it says more about the players we already have rather than what we are getting in Malik. This looks like it basically confirms my fears of Hughes not being able to command a starting position which is ridiculous considering he is a visa player. Also probably confirms Miller and Richardson are miles away from getting near the match day squad. So that's 3 wasted spots. 

Long term Chapman /Malik may be a good pairing but for the rest of the season we have Kisnorbo Hughes(if he ever plays) and Clisby so adding Malik could work. 

If true is a good deal but not great.

46 minutes ago, Jovan said:

From what little I've seen of him he looks pretty decent. Can't remember how strong aerially he his but from what I could tell is capable of playing it out reliably. 

I think if this signing is confirmed it says more about the players we already have rather than what we are getting in Malik. This looks like it basically confirms my fears of Hughes not being able to command a starting position which is ridiculous considering he is a visa player. Also probably confirms Miller and Richardson are miles away from getting near the match day squad. So that's 3 wasted spots. 

Long term Chapman /Malik may be a good pairing but for the rest of the season we have Kisnorbo Hughes(if he ever plays) and Clisby so adding Malik could work. 

If true is a good deal but not great.

This will be a great deal. Malik was immense last season for Adelaide 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Nate said:

does anyone know when Malik's fit again? 

long-term though, this is an amazing deal given Malik's coming into his prime at 25 and Williams is pretty much surplus to requirements now.

On 442 they were saying two weeks away. You would think before they agreed to the deal we would have had our own doctors take a look at him first. 

Im going to bet that Williams first shot for Adelaide he will sky it right out of Coopers

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 2

Firstly I really hope Malik is fast on the road to recovery and will start playing for us immediately. But if this doesn't happen and we're waiting till seasons end for him to get match fit then whoever signed him should get the sack immediately. I don't understand why does our coaching staff constantly persist with injured players. Surely there isn't another aleague club that has bought so many injured players as we have. 

The other thing is while we all know David Williams history, he has been of value for us this season when he comes off the bench due to his experience and speed. Now the only way I see this whole thing as a huge positive is if we are planning on bringing in a guest or injury replacement right winger. If we don't then surely were not banking on the likes of Zinni and Mauk in bringing us silverwear. So hopefully we have some thing in the works to fill that position with some quality. 

All in all this move has the potential to work well for us. But if it doesn't and we're still managing injured players by seasons end and underperforming then I want to see someone (JVS) get the sack. 

13 minutes ago, raw10 said:

Only time will tell whether this is a good deal or not. Why we keep signing injured players is beyond me.

I suspect that we get them for lower wages than would otherwise be the case, and we have confidence that with our facilities we can get them right. For someone like Ivan Franjic it appears to have worked. Possibly it will with Zullo.

Where we seem to go wrong, however, is signing players 30+ (e.g. Kewell, Hughes, Koren), who have longer recovery periods, and IMO we really should stay away from those who have had serious injuries such as ACL ruptures.

But, overall, signing injured players is a dangerous strategy because it means that we are always operating with fewer available players than we would otherwise have, and with such a short season we have limited opportunities to make up for points lost.

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I suspect that we get them for lower wages than would otherwise be the case, and we have confidence that with our facilities we can get them right. For someone like Ivan Franjic it appears to have worked. Possibly it will with Zullo.

Where we seem to go wrong, however, is signing players 30+ (e.g. Kewell, Hughes, Koren), who have longer recovery periods, and IMO we really should stay away from those who have had serious injuries such as ACL ruptures.

But, overall, signing injured players is a dangerous strategy because it means that we are always operating with fewer available players than we would otherwise have, and with such a short season we have limited opportunities to make up for points lost.

On the up side it seems to keep certain people in their job based on the potential return of said players

Edited by n i k o

2 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

At least he's only 25, should recover fairly quickly and hopefully not become an injury prone player. Hughes probably doesn't have the gas in the tank/able body to play more than 45min/game. Malik has more upside than down in the short-long term.

In the short-long term? As in from the first week to a year down the track? 

He certainly has more potential to have downsides in the short term like not recovering fully, re-injuring himself or needing many games to return to full fitness. But for end of the season and next season he seems to have a lot of upsides. 

if he is signed, I hope we are looking at a 2+ year deal

Positives, 25 , good ball playing CB

Negatives, injured at the moment ( so who knows what ramifications that brings fro the future)

if he gives us 2 years from next season, I feel that he would show his class and be an asset for us

A few more things on Malik. Is big & strong and dangerous at set pieces.

in regards to his skill set, this Exchange on fox between Kosmina & Rudan after an Adelaide game - possibly early last season, is informative.

Kosmina: "Ange should look at bringing Malik in. The guy can ping a pass halfway across the field."

Rudan: scoffing. "You don't select defenders because they can ping passes, a defender needs to defend. He lost Kisnorbo twice on set pieces!"

Now not losing your man is probably as much experience as anything & although Kosmina has his critics, he knows a lot about football. Malik has a lot of potential.

People are saying how good Malik is. I have a question mark on that because the AU of last season was miles better than the Au of this season, almost all of it with the same personnel. So was Malik good? Under Gombau he was very good, made huge progress with his game and was definitely worth a look in for the Socceroos. Will he replicate his excellent form from last season under JVS? That is the real question.

• Like 1

Malik would be a terrific signing in my book.

6 hours ago, n i k o said:

Firstly I really hope Malik is fast on the road to recovery and will start playing for us immediately. But if this doesn't happen and we're waiting till seasons end for him to get match fit then whoever signed him should get the sack immediately. I don't understand why does our coaching staff constantly persist with injured players. Surely there isn't another aleague club that has bought so many injured players as we have. 

The other thing is while we all know David Williams history, he has been of value for us this season when he comes off the bench due to his experience and speed. Now the only way I see this whole thing as a huge positive is if we are planning on bringing in a guest or injury replacement right winger. If we don't then surely were not banking on the likes of Zinni and Mauk in bringing us silverwear. So hopefully we have some thing in the works to fill that position with some quality. 

All in all this move has the potential to work well for us. But if it doesn't and we're still managing injured players by seasons end and underperforming then I want to see someone (JVS) get the sack. 

2 very good points.

On the first point, I'd say the club keep signing injured players, who are a little out of the picture at their respective clubs, because the A-League has a strict salary cap and clubs have to do shrewd business to sign lots of quality players with the minimum 18 spots inside the salary cap. Examples this season include Ivan Franjic, who was injured and on the fringes at Russian club Torpedo Moscow, Michael Zullo, who was injured and on the fringes at his Dutch club, and even Harry Novillo who we re-signed when he was injured and that might have been a significant favour in allowing us to re-sign him inside the cap on a decent deal.

On the second point, the right winger position, it is pretty interesting. Especially when it's factored in that Kuzmanovski seems to be on the outer at the club and there's suggestion he might be leaving, and ditto James Brown too might be moved on, it would be strange for the club to jettison 3 possible right wingers mid-season--David Williams, Kuzmanovski, James Brown--after our 1st choice right winger has been sidelined for the rest of the season with an ACL injury. Unless JVS is putting a lot of faith in youth to play at RW, such as Stefan Mauk--which wouldn't make too much sense because he'll miss most of January due to Olyroos duty--Espindola and Zinni, reason would suggest that we'll strengthen our attack and the RW position if David Williams (and especially if Kuzi and Brown) gets moved on. 

Also, for what it's worth that "Secret Agent" column suggests the club are looking at playing Malik in midfield as a defensive midfielder:

Adelaide United want Melbourne City winger David Williams and are prepared to release defensive midfielder Osama Malik as an exchange.

Williams, who is on a salary exceeding $200,000, was told by Melbourne City he would not be retained past this season.

City have long been admirers of Malik and the deal could happen in this transfer window.

He is seen as a more mobile defensive midfielder than the incumbent Eric Paartalu.

http://www.sportingnews.com/list/4689737-exclusive-the-secret-agent---david-williams-and-osaka-malik-exchange-on-the-cardso/slide/423178

1 hour ago, johnno cpfc said:

I believe he is currently injured, anyone have any idea how long before he can make an appearance for us?

Going by Adelaide team last week, he was 2 weeks away. So assuming that's correct and the transfer goes through we would probably be looking at about Jan29 vs wsw or week after vs jets 

21 minutes ago, neio said:

Going by Adelaide team last week, he was 2 weeks away. So assuming that's correct and the transfer goes through we would probably be looking at about Jan29 vs wsw or week after vs jets 

As long as it isn't a Germano 2 weeks

Edited by belaguttman

27 minutes ago, Imperial Pints said:

This deal really does smell fishy. Either Adelaide think Malik's body is cooked or we've promised them a player at season's end (Garuccio perhaps?).

It's like trading in an e36 318i (heavy, underpowered, dodgy electrics) for a Skoda Octavia VRS (pretty quick, versatile, cult following)

it's like trading in Finn for a Boba Fett

• Murfy1 locked this topic
  • malloy unlocked this topic