Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

3 hours ago, HughJass said:

Why would he want to stay at city after Joyce didn't use him much at all or in wrong position 

Yea I dont think it was a case of 'Why didn't we buy him', but more so "Why would Riley want to go back to us"

5 hours ago, HughJass said:

Why would he want to stay at city after Joyce didn't use him much at all or in wrong position 

Joyce left almost a full month before McGree’s signing was announced at Adelaide. I’m sure we could’ve persuaded him to stay at the Club under our new coach, who was always going to be an attacking one. Verbeek and Mombaerts have similar types of philosophies, so I think McGree would do well here too.

Actually, he just walked past me at Adelaide airport, I should’ve asked him.

14 hours ago, Harrison said:

Joyce left almost a full month before McGree’s signing was announced at Adelaide. I’m sure we could’ve persuaded him to stay at the Club under our new coach, who was always going to be an attacking one. Verbeek and Mombaerts have similar types of philosophies, so I think McGree would do well here too.

Actually, he just walked past me at Adelaide airport, I should’ve asked him.

A couple of huge assumptions based entirely on hindsight. 

Firstly the bloke for his entire time was hammered by Joyce,  rightly or wrongly who knows. He was in and out of the team and from what I could see he had no clear understanding of what the team/coach wanted.

Secondly how would he know we were going to bring in an attacking minded coach,  obviously now it would seem crazy not to, but back then we were just as likely to bring in another defensive pragmatic type.

To me there was zero chance of even being in a discussion to sign Mcgree to an ongoing contract. 

Obviously this is based entirely on hindsight and ultimately only one person will know what he was likely to do.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

A couple of huge assumptions based entirely on hindsight. 

Firstly the bloke for his entire time was hammered by Joyce,  rightly or wrongly who knows. He was in and out of the team and from what I could see he had no clear understanding of what the team/coach wanted.

Secondly how would he know we were going to bring in an attacking minded coach,  obviously now it would seem crazy not to, but back then we were just as likely to bring in another defensive pragmatic type.

To me there was zero chance of even being in a discussion to sign Mcgree to an ongoing contract. 

Obviously this is based entirely on hindsight and ultimately only one person will know what he was likely to do.

They’re assumptions but pretty reasonable ones. Angry supporter base and losing fans almost every week, the Club had to listen and try to bring some fans back, so IMO it was a good bet that they’d go after a positive, attack-minded coach. And in negotiations those things could be mentioned. And yes he didn’t really know what Joyce wanted but neither did Joyce really, the guy was an ordinary tactician and played him all over the place.

Disagree on it being at zero chance. My feeling is we probably didn’t want him. I’m just curious as to why that might be. 

Edited by Harrison

He was also injured for a while last year and played under the discomfort of that injury too - so he was never at his best or realised his full potential with us. Interesting that he also re-injured himself this season.

I reckon he's a gun but maybe there is an underlying risk there?

5 minutes ago, rass said:

He was also injured for a while last year and played under the discomfort of that injury too - so he was never at his best or realised his full potential with us. Interesting that he also re-injured himself this season.

I reckon he's a gun but maybe there is an underlying risk there?

True, most recently it was a knee ligament injury. Could be an attitude thing, who really knows? 

Seven goals and two assists in eight matches this season though. He’s a gun and only just turned 21. Will be a Socceroo. 

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

We've got Metcalfe, Genreau, Najjarine, and 4 Scholarship midfielders. 

And up front Najjar and two Scholarship players.

Why do we need McGree?

Because McGree is probably the best of the lot, at this stage at least. I like our group too, so if we had McGree we’d probably lose one of them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

We've got Metcalfe, Genreau, Najjarine, and 4 Scholarship midfielders. 

And up front Najjar and two Scholarship players.

Why do we need McGree?

How many goals have any of these players kicked and how many has McGree?

Why is it that when McGree gets near the ball there is excitement whereas with Naijarine/Naijar everyone yawns? Metcalfe and Genreau are different types of players. Regarding Naijarine and Naijar I suspect that they are good for the NYL but not good enough for the A-League. Time will tell.

A kinda where are they now. Birighitti's cousin.

https://popculture.com/sports/2020/01/09/body-college-champion-soccer-player-attacked-by-sharks-drowning/

Eric Birighitti was discovered on Tuesday five days after being swept away by the water at Twilight Beach in Western Australia last week. And before authorities recovered the body, sharks were attacking him as they were lured by the body.

Edited by moops

24 minutes ago, moops said:

A kinda where are they now. Birighitti's brother.

https://popculture.com/sports/2020/01/09/body-college-champion-soccer-player-attacked-by-sharks-drowning/

Eric Birighitti was discovered on Tuesday five days after being swept away by the water at Twilight Beach in Western Australia last week. And before authorities recovered the body, sharks were attacking him as they were lured by the body.

Cousin, according the bottom of the article

Daniel Arzani returned to action with a late cameo off the bench for Celtic in a 2-1 win over Partick Thistle. He came on in the 85th minute for Rogic (who was MOM) in what was a reasonable strong Celtic side. 

Earlier in the week Bart scored his first Panathinaikos goal in a 3-1 cup win.

On 06/01/2020 at 5:46 PM, NewConvert said:

How many goals have any of these players kicked and how many has McGree?

Why is it that when McGree gets near the ball there is excitement whereas with Naijarine/Naijar everyone yawns? Metcalfe and Genreau are different types of players. Regarding Naijarine and Naijar I suspect that they are good for the NYL but not good enough for the A-League. Time will tell.

I must have been watching a different player last year. For me, McGree was an enormous disappointment and it's a bit rich (and convenient) to put it entirely down to the ex-coach.

1 hour ago, SF33 said:

I must have been watching a different player last year. For me, McGree was an enormous disappointment and it's a bit rich (and convenient) to put it entirely down to the ex-coach.

Hardly, when Joyce continually played him out of position, I think you can pretty much put it down entirely to the ex-'coach'.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, malloy said:

Hardly, when Joyce continually played him out of position, I think you can pretty much put it down entirely to the ex-'coach'.

Fair enough. Personally, I'm a bit tired of giving a free pass to these recruits who are supposed to be God's gift when they arrive, then when it comes time to actually produce, they do stuff all.

It might be convenient, but I don't think it's accurate to dump 100% of the blame for everything that went wrong since the start of 2018 on Warren Joyce. Others could have done a bit better too, with McGree being a glaring example. That's just how I see it.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Fair enough. Personally, I'm a bit tired of giving a free pass to these recruits who are supposed to be God's gift when they arrive, then when it comes time to actually produce, they do stuff all.

It might be convenient, but I don't think it's accurate to dump 100% of the blame for everything that went wrong since the start of 2018 on Warren Joyce. Others could have done a bit better too, with McGree being a glaring example. That's just how I see it.

The one glaring thing for me is how some players move to other A-League clubs and do so much better or maintain the standard: Redmayne, Zullo, Retre, Kilkenny, Fornaroli and so on. This does not only reflect poorly on Joyce but also on our club as a whole. And McGree is doing a lot more now than he did under Joyce.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

The one glaring thing for me is how some players move to other A-League clubs and do so much better or maintain the standard: Redmayne, Zullo, Retre, Kilkenny, Fornaroli and so on. This does not only reflect poorly on Joyce but also on our club as a whole. And McGree is doing a lot more now than he did under Joyce.

I can't argue with that. Perth and Sydney are the standout teams of the past 2-3 years and you could just about put together a starting 11 of current Perth/Sydney players who were mediocre with us and/or were told they weren't required and now they're key cogs in clubs that are the benchmark in this competition.

The club obviously is at fault for not getting the best out of these players, or putting them in the doghouse. But I feel like in a lot of cases, the players probably spat the dummy when things started getting a bit tough in terms of the losses piling up, or them riding the bench.

As an example, Redmayne was behind the likes of Kisnorbo, Behich and Wielaert for most of his time as our number one keeper and he didn't save a penalty or keep a clean sheet for his entire tenure here. He made Bouzanis-esque errors frequently. A similar underwhelming stint at Wanderers and then moving to Sydney and backing up Vuckovic.

Now he's a Socceroo and maybe the first keeper you'd pick if you had your choice starting a team. I defy anyone to say they saw that in Redmayne's future, especially after Velaphi took over from him and immediately had a few clean sheets. Maybe the club had a bit to do with Redmayne's woes here, but I think it was mainly him, he just didn't produce. And I think with most of the others, the fault is shared.

12 minutes ago, SF33 said:

I can't argue with that. Perth and Sydney are the standout teams of the past 2-3 years and you could just about put together a starting 11 of current Perth/Sydney players who were mediocre with us and/or were told they weren't required and now they're key cogs in clubs that are the benchmark in this competition.

The club obviously is at fault for not getting the best out of these players, or putting them in the doghouse. But I feel like in a lot of cases, the players probably spat the dummy when things started getting a bit tough in terms of the losses piling up, or them riding the bench.

As an example, Redmayne was behind the likes of Kisnorbo, Behich and Wielaert for most of his time as our number one keeper and he didn't save a penalty or keep a clean sheet for his entire tenure here. He made Bouzanis-esque errors frequently. A similar underwhelming stint at Wanderers and then moving to Sydney and backing up Vuckovic.

Now he's a Socceroo and maybe the first keeper you'd pick if you had your choice starting a team. I defy anyone to say they saw that in Redmayne's future, especially after Velaphi took over from him and immediately had a few clean sheets. Maybe the club had a bit to do with Redmayne's woes here, but I think it was mainly him, he just didn't produce. And I think with most of the others, the fault is shared.

John Crawley transformed Redmayne. He’s a terrific goalkeeping coach. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

Maybe, I don't know. I feel like the talent was always there with us and he was quite frequently one of our better players, but he was a roller coaster; he'd make you say "how did he do that?" regularly, both good and bad. He just never had the consistency and it always felt like a howler at the worst possible time was just around the corner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SF33 said:

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

Which reinforces what I said. The club has not had the kind of development coaching or first team manager required to bring out the best in players. It would be easy to be discouraged if the team is performing poorly so I still place the weight of disappointment on the club.

2 hours ago, SF33 said:

Maybe, I don't know. I feel like the talent was always there with us and he was quite frequently one of our better players, but he was a roller coaster; he'd make you say "how did he do that?" regularly, both good and bad. He just never had the consistency and it always felt like a howler at the worst possible time was just around the corner.

He was also a lot younger when he played for us and has since matured/become a more consistent professional goalkeeper. Also helps that Sydney has had the best defenders for the last 3 or 4 seasons...