Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

1 hour ago, neio said:

Ex city youngsters James Delianov and Yaya Dukuky starting for Adelaide. Dylan Pierias and Lachie Wales starting for WU. 

Good to see some kids that didn't make it with us for whatever reason get a start early in the new season

Or may be we can't see the good product? I don't have much faith in Petrillo I'm afraid.

56 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Or may be we can't see the good product? I don't have much faith in Petrillo I'm afraid.

Delianov was going to be no more than a bench warmer, and wanted more. We promoted Glover, the right decision. Pierias is a good player, but in terms of squad space in a salary cap it was him or Atkinson. Again, I'd say we kept the better player. Wales wasn't good enough. Dukuly was being encouraged, but got home sick for Adelaide. I'd not blame City or Petrillo for making the wrong call on any of those. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Delianov was going to be no more than a bench warmer, and wanted more. We promoted Glover, the right decision. Pierias is a good player, but in terms of squad space in a salary cap it was him or Atkinson. Again, I'd say we kept the better player. Wales wasn't good enough. Dukuly was being encouraged, but got home sick for Adelaide. I'd not blame City or Petrillo for making the wrong call on any of those. 

Totally agree. All decisions mentioned above at this point in time look to be warranted. 

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Glover wasn't signed until after Delianov left the club.

13 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Glover wasn't signed until after Delianov left the club.

But would you swap Glover for Delianov? I guess that's the question to answer. For me, absolutely not, so the right decision. 

2 hours ago, Deluka said:

Dukuky looked good, far more penetrating than what we’ve seen from Wales, Cola and Najjarine imo. Definitely one to watch.

Yes, apparently we rated him, and were promoting him, but he missed family in Adelaide. Agreed, looked a decent player. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

Michael o'halloran subbed on for st johnstone against rangers last week in the 77th minute, sent off in the 83rd minute for 2 yellow cards 

I think he rates as our strangest signing ever. Mind you, Stephen Gray, Marcel Meeuwis and that other Irish player whose name I can't recall - selected for his country (NI?) but couldn't get on the park for us - were pretty strange too.

We've had some beauties over the seasons.

46 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think he rates as our strangest signing ever. Mind you, Stephen Gray, Marcel Meeuwis and that other Irish player whose name I can't recall - selected for his country (NI?) but couldn't get on the park for us - were pretty strange too.

We've had some beauties over the seasons.

Aaron Hughes? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Macarthur look stacked with talent. And Genreau and Moudi don't look out of place. I do think we missed a trick with Denis, but at least we still have Moudi's registration. 

I never understood the attitude towards Genreau.

To me he has looked like a future Socceroo since day 1 and I thought he should have been a regular starter last year.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I never understood the attitude towards Genreau.

To me he has looked like a future Socceroo since day 1 and I thought he should have been a regular starter last year.

That attitude towards Denis Genreau, and the reversion of our style to hoofball, are two of the reasons why I didn't worship the ground that Mombaerts walked on as some other people seemed to do.

Edited by jw1739

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

That attitude towards Denis Genreau, and the reversion of our style to hoofball, are two of the reasons why I didn't worship the ground that Mombaerts walked on as some other people seemed to do.

The Genreau situation is odd - seemed more like a personal conflict with club or coach rather than based on a footballing decision. I find him at least on par or perhaps slightly better than Metcalfe, his smaller stature makes him better suited as an attacking midfielder. Whilst Metcalf is box to box. Both could have been fitted in the future system.

As debated during our last match, the quick long ball forward with often nobody on the end of it is part of our system now. We are also trying to force turnovers deep in opposition territory with those long balls so it seems deliberate.

In my opinion this style of play can only be changed with different type of players in midfield, midfielders who are much stronger on the ball, players who can create and take on one or two opponents.

You can say that Mombearts made the team play according to the player quality at his disposal, hence it worked. 

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, neio said:

Jack Hendry... Remember him 

He is on loan in Belgium and has been absolutely killing it, now has interest from Aston Villa, Wolves, Brighton and Werder Bremen in Germany. 

Can we claim him as one of ours if a move eventuates? 

Wasn’t for his time at Melbourne, he’d be nuthin’

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nate said:

Different players tbh but I must concede, I'm surprised with just how well Najjarine is playing at the moment. 

He was quite brilliant against Macarthur today.

The question is; different player or finally he’s been given time to play and played his best position?

7 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I’m not surprised at all that Najjarine is playing well. He’s got an abundance of talent. He’s at an age where he just needs game time, and he’s finally getting it. I think under Mombaerts he just couldn’t quite fit the system, his work rate in defence was probably an issue. 

Agree. I dont think any of the systems we've had since JVS have suited a creative midfielder tbh, and cameo's out of position on the wing didnt particularly help his confidence either. Neither did 47 mids in the squad in the Joyce era either. Game time is the best thing for both Ramy and the club at this point in time.

3 hours ago, Missing_Moy said:

Delanov had a night to forget last night! 
too many ex city players playing in the Perth Adelaide match that’s for sure! 

Wait until central Coast play Adelaide. There legitimally could be Birighitti, Clisby, Tongyik, Bozanic, Delianov, Marrone, Jakobsen, Mauk, Dukuly all start and then have Gauci on the bench 

On 21/01/2021 at 11:48 AM, neio said:

Wait until central Coast play Adelaide. There legitimally could be Birighitti, Clisby, Tongyik, Bozanic, Delianov, Marrone, Jakobsen, Mauk, Dukuly all start and then have Gauci on the bench 

Still can’t believe we never played Birighitti. 

• Like 5

Ruon Tongyik immense for the Mariners tonight, he unleashed his inner Sol Campbell. So far this season he's looked like the player we all thought he could be if he got rid of the regular brain farts he used to suffer. Hopefully he continues to shine because he's got the power and physical presence that is great to watch in a defender.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Ruon Tongyik immense for the Mariners tonight, he unleashed his inner Sol Campbell. So far this season he's looked like the player we all thought he could be if he got rid of the regular brain farts he used to suffer. Hopefully he continues to shine because he's got the power and physical presence that is great to watch in a defender.

Glad he is finally fulfilling his promise. Good manager? 

• Like 1