Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Has he retired?

I think he's continuing as a player, but at 34 has finished at A-League level. Was he before your time when he was with Heart? We poached him from Adelaide and then he had a spell in China before returning to Adelaide.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I think he's continuing as a player, but at 34 has finished at A-League level. Was he before your time when he was with Heart? We poached him from Adelaide and then he had a spell in China before returning to Adelaide.

Foundation member - and yes I was at the very first Heart game.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, neio said:

Neil Kilkenny has signed at WU as an injury replacement player

I know he is getting on in age a little and he is a complete teat, but he is better than getting an injury replacement contract in the league 

When he left Perth we all thought he'd got a contract sorted elsewhere. He was one of Perth's better players last season. You're right, it's odd that a player of his ability is struggling to get a steady gig somewhere.

10 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

When he left Perth we all thought he'd got a contract sorted elsewhere. He was one of Perth's better players last season. You're right, it's odd that a player of his ability is struggling to get a steady gig somewhere.

Apparently he talks too much.

On 28/08/2021 at 10:01 AM, jw1739 said:

Apparently he talks too much.

Yeah I thought he had another club when Perth froze him out, bit of a pattern now - 2 clubs, 2x frozen out of the squad. Still a good player, peaked 3-4 years ago in the A League.

Edited by Mr MO

17 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

You can tell by his reactions on the pitch he's a bit of a twat

29 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Yeah I thought he had another club when Perth froze him out, bit of a pattern now - 2 clubs, 2x frozen out of the squad. Still a good player, peaked 3-4 years ago in the A League.

the guy was a starter in our team when we won the FFA Cup and was the player of the season that year IIRC so he will always be remembered fondly.

IMO he has always been a very good player in the a league, and has been "frozen out" by a clueless prick(Joyce) and a clueless wanker (Garcia). 

in many ways i think for Kilkenny it is good riddance - if only he was going to a club with a better manager.

unfortunately Kilkenny gets tainted by having the willingness to be vocal on the pitch.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

the guy was a starter in our team when we won the FFA Cup and was the player of the season that year IIRC so he will always be remembered fondly.

IMO he has always been a very good player in the a league, and has been "frozen out" by a clueless prick(Joyce) and a clueless wanker (Garcia). 

in many ways i think for Kilkenny it is good riddance - if only he was going to a club with a better manager.

unfortunately Kilkenny gets tainted by having the willingness to be vocal on the pitch.

I think that if you read his CV his relations with his various clubs have never been easy.

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think that if you read his CV his relations with his various clubs have never been easy.

the fact that Tony Popavic liked him so much that he signed him at Perth and that Kilkenny would become vice captain states to the very least Kilkenny's opinions were valued (internally at least).

anyway, i'm glad he gets to run around once more

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mattyh001 said:

I think he may be rather vocal off the pitch too, which is a recipe for disaster when you have less than competent managers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JvS was our manager when we won the FFA Cup. He may not be our most successful coach in terms of trophies, but he managed to get the squad of that time over the line in what was a memorable Cup campaign. And he did it with players who weren't always easy to deal with - Kilkenny, Fornaroli, Cahill proved that later. Of course all managers are different, but IMO JvS could "manage the men." We've tended to let the mists of time drift over that season, but the Cup semi-final and final were two of the best games we've seen at AAMI.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

JvS was our manager when we won the FFA Cup. He may not be our most successful coach in terms of trophies, but he managed to get the squad of that time over the line in what was a memorable Cup campaign. And he did it with players who weren't always easy to deal with - Kilkenny, Fornaroli, Cahill proved that later. Of course all managers are different, but IMO JvS could "manage the men." We've tended to let the mists of time drift over that season, but the Cup semi-final and final were two of the best games we've seen at AAMI.

Its a fair point, but id prob argue it was the reason he was never ultimately successful too. 

JVS was too nice and didnt step on anyones toes, and as a result we had a team full of stars with bad habits and a soft underbelly.

That said, you're spot on that we played some gorgeous football under him at times and the cup run was a moment in time for sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Its a fair point, but id prob argue it was the reason he was never ultimately successful too. 

JVS was too nice and didnt step on anyones toes, and as a result we had a team full of stars with bad habits and a soft underbelly.

That said, you're spot on that we played some gorgeous football under him at times and the cup run was a moment in time for sure.

I suspect JVS would be the best of our managers to have over for dinner...

• Like 5

15 hours ago, fensaddler said:

I suspect JVS would be the best of our managers to have over for dinner...

Yeah, I reckon so. We played a pre-season down at Frankston, and he and his Spanish assistant (can't remember the name) were there and he was happy to chat. Also IMO it says something that CFG were happy to have him continue when they took over the club in 2014. A well-rounded gentleman I think.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Yeah, I reckon so. We played a pre-season down at Frankston, and he and his Spanish assistant (can't remember the name) were there and he was happy to chat. Also IMO it says something that CFG were happy to have him continue when they took over the club in 2014. A well-rounded gentleman I think.

And nicely tanned!

11 hours ago, HeartFc said:

Erick would bring a bottle of 1981 Marc Brédif Vouvray Grande Année (Loire Valley) along with an artichoke and onion infused sourdough fondue. 

JVS would rock up stoned holding a bottle of reef coconut tanning oil.

@HeartFc You conjure up delightful images. I can imagine answering the ring on the doorbell - JvS already wearing Erick's homburg at a rakish angle and trying to disentangle himself from the wisteria, while Erick would be holding his wine in one hand and doing one-arm press-ups on the doorstep with his other.

Would be a great evening with them both I think.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

Babalj is the poster boy for not buying into the whole "he's the next Viduka" hyperbole. 

Wiki's got him as only scoring 1 goal since he returned to us back in 2013. For a forward, that's insanely bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nate said:

Babalj is the poster boy for not buying into the whole "he's the next Viduka" hyperbole. 

Wiki's got him as only scoring 1 goal since he returned to us back in 2013. For a forward, that's insanely bad.

I think that's part of the problem more broadly too (very particularly at the time). Young players have had a good season or two and left to go overseas to limited game time. 

I don't know if its bad advice, big fish small pond syndrome, too good an offer to refuse. They just rush off too soon. 

1 hour ago, Nate said:

He's barely played any football at all since he left us. Just a few minutes here and there.