Melbourne Football

Sack Vidmar

TheStig

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Rado had had the squad together since July. Our performances in the Australia Cup and the ACL were not good, and basically Rado went to Petrillo and said he could not get any more out of the squad. Vidmar came in at what sounds like one telephone call to him from Petrillo. All the timings can be checked if a timeline is required.

If Rado had any input to the make-up of the squad we don't know, but Vidmar came in absolutely cold. He commented several times that he had had very few actual training sessions with the squad as the fixtures came thick and fast.

He is on record that the boys had a session without him about the season and the way we were playing. We then seemed to make some progress until, by all accounts, we were as dismal as ever against WSW. One swallow doesn't make a summer, but my opinion at this stage is that we need to complete the whole season with him in charge and then review what it is that we are trying to do, because another significant rebuild is in the offing.

TBH I don't think that he has much to work with. IMO there are a couple of signings that don't make sense. Leckie and Nabbout have been out for months, as has Sulemani.  JMac is out of sorts. Where is Durakovic? Natel and Jakolis are hot and cold. The defence is slow and porous. Give him the season.

Petrillo has said that he had wanted to bring Vidmar into the clib in sone capacity for a number of months, based on that I suspect there had been contact before Rado stepped down.

Petrillo also made comments about getting done by huge scorelines in GF n aus cup (or was it the league).

Based on these two comments I wouod be highly surprised if Petrillo hadn't reached out to Vidmar after the GF disaster and kept an open line of communication up until bring appointed.

• 2 weeks later...

For his own sake I hope he resigns immediately. There is something fundamentally wrong at the club. It's deep-seated and until it's fixed no individual new coach/manager can fix it. Rado knew it and walked. If Vidmar has any sense he will too.

• Like 1

He has been here long enough and there has been absolutely no change to playing style, if anything it's become worse and slower.

I think it's honestly time to bring someone in for 8 weeks to take no bullshit and no prisoners, someone who deeply cares about the club and has had previous success here. If only there was someone like that available 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Zanty said:

no point sacking him, nothing changes.

Agree. When he joined he said his first priority was to restore some pride into the squad. It hasn't happened. There have been departures other than just players and the problems are way deeper than Vidmar. Natel, Jeggo, Fernandez - all panic signings IMO. There's a crock of shit in the club somewhere.

Agree. When he joined he said his first priority was to restore some pride into the squad. It hasn't happened. There have been departures other than just players and the problems are way deeper than Vidmar. Natel, Jeggo, Fernandez - all panic signings IMO. There's a crock of shit in the club somewhere.

Maybe we are just spoiled and have over performed looking at our budget restrictions and sustainability rules as set out by the CFG. Through covid times we managed to keep a decent squad together, a good mix between young and old, at a good age. Whilst other teams could not do this, it resulted in City becoming a the dominant benchmark. Now time and age as well as the league has caught up with us. I’m afraid real change will only come when players like Good, Maclaren, Leckie, Nabbout etc and this whole bunch of older players have departed. 

Edited by Mr MO

11 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Maybe we are just spoiled and have over performed looking at our budget restrictions and sustainability rules as set out by the CFG. Through covid times we managed to keep a decent squad together, a good mix between young and old, at a good age. Whilst other teams could not do this, it resulted in City becoming a the dominant benchmark. Now time and age as well as the league has caught up with us. I’m afraid real change will only come when players like Good, Maclaren, Leckie, Nabbout etc and this whole bunch of older players have departed. 

You do realise we lost an incredible amount of talent in one off season, and have been hampered by injuries to what's left of our talent. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

He's just a caretaker coach ... fuck him off and give someone else a crack. Jammo would do a better job

I don't think it would make any difference myself, but if anyone, then yes, Jamo. 

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

You do realise we lost an incredible amount of talent in one off season, and have been hampered by injuries to what's left of our talent. 

Everyone realises that, but what this season shows is that the replacements, whether from inside or outside, just aren't up to it.  And players and coaches are still leaving the club. IMO this indicates a deep-seated problem within the club. 

3 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Correct and the core players who do play are past their best but we still see wrong comments that our list is the best in the league so it must be our coach or some other factor with the team.

The only thing you can be really critical on is the recruitment, transfer strategy and youth development - perhaps one should be tougher to Petrillo.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

The coaching has been shit &  uninspiring.

I’d put money on a decent Aleague coach like Arnie would have us looking good. But we’ve inherited Rado, who looked average at the backend of last season and a season long caretaker in Vidmar. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, haz said:

Playing like Warren Joyce but with worse results. 

IMO Joyce is unfairly criticised. He brought some discipline into the club- something that seems to me to be sadly missing now - and he brought some good players to the club via his contacts - De Laet, McCormack, Hendry.

I hope that we can find a good overseas coach for next season onwards who can do the same. This season's squad is just so bland.

• Like 1

Would take a magician to get this squad to perform well. I’m not just talking ability they seem to be oil and water across the park. The season’s well past half way and they still play like strangers. Two different coaches, same result.

I must say I don't understand it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, D.B. Cooper said:

Would take a magician to get this squad to perform well. I’m not just talking ability they seem to be oil and water across the park. The season’s well past half way and they still play like strangers. Two different coaches, same result.

So what can we deduce? Either both coaches have the same problem, or the problem isn't the coach? If neither of these, then is the problem with the playing group as a whole, or individuals, or is it seated deeper in the club somewhere?

So what can we deduce? Either both coaches have the same problem, or the problem isn't the coach? If neither of these, then is the problem with the playing group as a whole, or individuals, or is it seated deeper in the club somewhere?

With some exceptions (Arlan/Leckie) the bulk of the players are simply not good enough for the current top of the A-league, some never were others are passed it.

Whilst this a team sport and with better cohesion we can certainly improve to get comfortably in the top 6. However overal this group isn’t top two material, you can see that on individual player levels purely by looking at strength, speed, technical ability and decision making.

Being stuck in the past and going on about how good our player list is not realistic but that’s the complacency which brought us here. 

Management and us fans are perhaps constantly under estimating the speed and physicality of the league. Signing Jeggo long term is another example, looked interesting on paper but the reality is very different.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, D.B. Cooper said:

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Well considering our backline is coming off contract and the forward line is coming off contract at the same time AND they are all on the wrong side of 30, then it is quite probably that they are all demotivated. Our youth are not getting reasonable time and a few will be looking at Rafa and Cola making a good fist of it at their new clubs, then what is the point of them being here? Try motivating past those issues.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

Well considering our backline is coming off contract and the forward line is coming off contract at the same time AND they are all on the wrong side of 30, then it is quite probably that they are all demotivated. Our youth are not getting reasonable time and a few will be looking at Rafa and Cola making a good fist of it at their new clubs, then what is the point of them being here? Try motivating past those issues.

So you are pointing the finger at the playing group?

So you are pointing the finger at the playing group?

yes & no. Yes it is the playing group, as professionals, to be self motivated and to deliver the goods that they are being paid for. No, because it is only human for people to drop off whilst they look for a new gig. I have seen it in the workplace when you hear that there will be retrenchments and people wonder whether its them and some just start looking for new jobs even if they are not on the chopping list. Their productivity is greatly reduced. So I can't blame the playing group for feeling the way they do.

I wonder whether CFG will look at the contracts and ask Petrillo why the club found itself in this position.

• Like 1

Yes, IMO Petrillo should never have allowed all these contracts to finish concurrently. But I don't resile from the view that it's deeper than that. Sakhi's abrupt departure, Behich's too. Then Van Houten and another assistant pulling the pin. These follow Lam and VDV walking away from their contracts at the end of last season. And Rado of course.