Melbourne Football

Rd 22: #MCYvSYD AAMI Park, Sat 5 Mar 2016, 7.30 pm

NuggetsMcGreggor

3 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

Aaron Hughes may start as John van’t Schip has near full squad to pick from

David Davutovic

March 2, 2016

VETERAN defender Aaron Hughes could be rushed back into the first XI for Saturday’s home clash with Sydney FC with coach John van’t Schip having his strongest squad to choose from all season.

Bar long-term knee victim Corey Gameiro, every player is available with Hughes and fellow stopper Connor Chapman training yesterday along with keeper Thomas Sorensen, who came off at half-time last week.

Returning attacker Harry Novillo also trained with the main group ahead of his return from a club-imposed two game ban.

Both Chapman, 21, and Hughes have trained fully for almost a fortnight but having injured his medial ligament in the December 13 win at Newcastle Jets, City will exercise caution with Chapman, who’s just an outside chance to start on the bench.

Hughes, 36, has a better base fitness having started four consecutive games before he re-injured his calf in the January 25 win over Wellington.

The Northern Irishman’s return could see City revert back to the 3-5-2 formation, which they’ve appeared more comfortable playing recently.

Captain Patrick Kisnorbo was confident City could improve its defensive record, having conceded a league record 38 goals in 21 games.

“If it’s a back three or four, the coach decides and as professionals we have to adapt and do the job and hopefully it pays off because we have an important game,’’ Kisnorbo said.

“I don’t know (which we’ll play), but we’re in a position where we know how to do both.

“With the (back) three you have wing-backs and they can push so you need a bit more cover. With a four you know your area.

“Formations are formations, you have to go out there and get three points.  :up::up::up:

“The stats show that our defensive structure hasn’t been the best this year, but it’s something we can rectify.’’

With nine goals in 15 games, Novillo was a key player for City before his two-game suspension and maximum club-imposed fine for breaching FFA’s code of conduct.

Kisnorbo said Novillo’s return was welcomed as competition for places intensified.

“Harry’s back, he’s great, he’s come back and been fantastic, so the coach picks the team but it’s great to have him back among the players,’’ he said.

“The depth’s improved. We’ve had a clear out and brought players in, there’s positions for the taking and everyone’s playing for their future.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-v-sydney-fc-aaron-hughes-may-start-as-john-vant-schip-has-near-full-squad-to-pick-from/news-story/78589fca3f0d4514d45592b8cb0e350e

Paddy, using the KISS approach, has just put the whole damn game plan into perspective. Hey Arnie, beat that you miserable shite   :tooth:

Sorensen

Franjic Kisnorbo Wilkinson Hughes Zullo

Malik Caceras

Mooy

Novillo Fornaroli

Subs Bouzanis Chapman Fitzgerald Melling Garrucio

Or 

Sorensrn

Franjic Kisnorbo Wilkinson Zullo

Malik Caceras

Mooy

Fitzgerald Fornaroli Novillo

Subs Bouzanis Hughes Melling Garrucio Retre

Sydney won last night against arguably the best team in Asia, they have belief they can win a game now.

This is a huge danger match for us because if we don't get our defensive structure right we will cop an absolute hiding and if we do we won't recover.

Also a note that if we go 3 5 2 then that would be the most insane management choice we have made as the 2 key players in this formation are the WBs and Zullo and Franjic have probably been our worse players in the last 4 weeks. I think Sydney's ability to defend and counter well would be too strong for a 3 back with open wings to deal with given the fact the they are open on the press.

I would much prefer Franjic and Clisby as WBs with instructions not press high and have pressing L and R mids like Zullo and Fitzgerald for the counter with Mooy and Caseres providing service and pressing centrally to support Bruno.

The key for us is to have space, so our defence needs to play in the defensive 3rd so not to crowd the front half which also prevents the counter getting behind our defence. 

In summary a solid defensive structure with space for our runners on fast counters rather than high pressing and high possession.

We have the players to beat sydney with this style of play.

31 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Sydney won last night against arguably the best team in Asia, they have belief they can win a game now.

This is a huge danger match for us because if we don't get our defensive structure right we will cop an absolute hiding and if we do we won't recover.

Also a note that if we go 3 5 2 then that would be the most insane management choice we have made as the 2 key players in this formation are the WBs and Zullo and Franjic have probably been our worse players in the last 4 weeks. I think Sydney's ability to defend and counter well would be too strong for a 3 back with open wings to deal with given the fact the they are open on the press.

I would much prefer Franjic and Clisby as WBs with instructions not press high and have pressing L and R mids like Zullo and Fitzgerald for the counter with Mooy and Caseres providing service and pressing centrally to support Bruno.

The key for us is to have space, so our defence needs to play in the defensive 3rd so not to crowd the front half which also prevents the counter getting behind our defence. 

In summary a solid defensive structure with space for our runners on fast counters rather than high pressing and high possession.

We have the players to beat sydney with this style of play.

Remember, it was against Sydney where the change to 3-5-2 actually worked for us. 

4 minutes ago, rass said:

Remember, it was against Sydney where the change to 3-5-2 actually worked for us. 

Yep I know but now everyone knows how to exploit the weakness. It started with exploiting the WB weakness and then containing our supply to the forwards. Defensively I think sydney are too solid.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rass said:

Changing to this formation did help our attacking but people keep forgetting this, it didn't actually work. We conceded 2 goals in the second half. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Yep I know but now everyone knows how to exploit the weakness. It started with exploiting the WB weakness and then containing our supply to the forwards. Defensively I think sydney are too solid.

They won't have any players to exploit our weakness. Hence, this should be another 5-1 win, a la versus Perth and CCM.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Red or Dead said:

They won't have any players to exploit our weakness. Hence, this should be another 5-1 win, a la versus Perth and CCM.

You maybe right but I am not that optimistic, I would rather win a game with solid and repeatable systems and tactics rather than something that has has proven not to be.

We will see on Saturday I suppose.

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Changing to this formation did help our attacking but people keep forgetting this, it didn't actually work. We conceded 2 goals in the second half. 

Yep we did, but they had way many more clear cut chances in the first half hour where they missed a bunch of sitters. ..

Anyway, atm i don't care what formation they play.  I just want to win.

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

So Sydney have out 

Ryal grant carney faty  and I think there was one or two more?

also first time we have had a full squad to select from.

Still a better side than Wellington.

Plus, I really don't want to be doing burnouts on High St Thomo this Saturday night when I lose the plot on the way home, last week was bad enough ^_^

Edited by playmaker

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

So Sydney have out 

Ryal grant carney faty  and I think there was one or two more?

also first time we have had a full squad to select from.

More players available means the more JVS can experiment now which usually turns out to be f*****

Melbourne City squad: 1. Thomas SORENSEN (GK), 2. Alex WILKINSON, 4. Connor CHAPMAN, 5. Ivan FRANJIC, 8. Aaron MOOY, 9. Harry NOVILLO, 11. Michael ZULLO, 14. James BROWN, 18. Paulo RETRE, 19. Ben GARUCCIO, 20. Dean BOUZANIS (GK), 23. Bruno FORNAROLI, 24. Patrick KISNORBO, 25. Jacob MELLING, 26. Marc MARINO, 27. Nick FITZGERALD, 29. Anthony CACERES, 33. Osama MALIK

Ins: 4. Connor CHAPMAN (returns from injury), 9. Harry NOVILLO (promoted)

We can't play long balls, they are to organised for us to do it and it fucked us last time,

433 is necessary, our wing backs even more so. If we can play through the middle with our midfielders, either a through ball, or seeing a man wide to put in a cross, we will win.

The worst thing we can do is the long ball, they defend very well against it.

Just a thought.

Do you think they will really park the bus given the pressure on them to play more attacking. It is a real criticism that is becoming an issue for the coaching staff seeing that the pointy end of the season is here, and they really haven't performed as expected. I recall the excuse being given at the start of the season of building a solid defence and progressing from there, however there hasn't been a lot of progression really, especially from a results stand point.

Maybe all out attack is what we will see and the excuse for a loss is that they had too many players out.

Mmmmmmn I wonder.....

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

What a huge game, potentially 3 points from top position. Potentially could drop to within a point from 7th position.

Even if we win, we play another must-win away game the following week which we'll lose.

Edited by hakz7

Last week Bruno was mugged by the close checking of Durante/Muscat and our midfield was harassed and couldn't control the ball which then led to some poor long passing from the back line under atrocious weather conditions.  Add some poor defending and we deserved to lose. Expect Arnie to employ similar tactics to close us down and try to pinch something. Hopefully Harry adds that spark that can break up their defence and we get to score some goals. Having said that, I'm starting to have a panic attack just thinking about tonight :(   Every game from here is a season defining game but I know we can fcuk it up :droy:

The lowdown: Melbourne City v Sydney FC

Melbourne City v Sydney FC

Saturday, 7.30pm, AAMI Park, Melbourne

Attacking force: Shane Smeltz (centre) will have to be at his best against City.

Attacking force: Shane Smeltz (centre) will have to be at his best against City. Photo: Wolter Peeter

Five to watch

1. Bruno Fornaroli (City)

The Uruguayan's performances during the past fortnight have not resulted in the goals he has deserved, but that could all change with so many Sydney defenders out suspended. The league's sharpest shooter will be a huge threat and will require the best from Matt Jurman to keep him quiet.

2. Matt Jurman (Sydney FC)

It does not get much easier for Jurman this week as he faces Fornaroli after Guangzhou Evergrande's Jackson Martinez. Jurman was equal to that task on Wednesday night, but overcoming fatigue in a short turnaround to stop City's star striker is another test altogether.

3. Aaron Mooy (City)

The assist king is in a rich vein of form, whether it be in open play or from set pieces. His tussle with Mickael Tavares looms as one of the most decisive in the match.

4. Shane Smeltz (Sydney FC)

In the absence of so many of his supporting cast, much of Sydney's attacking threat falls on the shoulders of their veteran striker. He looked more dangerous against Evergrande mid-week in an organised attack and will have to be at his best against City.

5. Harry Novillo (City)

The French winger should have a field day against Sydney's inexperienced fullbacks on Saturday night. Able to match pace and flair with the end product, don't be surprised to see his name on the scoresheet.

The key match up: Bruno Fornaroli v Matt Jurman

The clash that will likely dictate the outcome will take place metres from Sydney's goal. A classic battle between a fleet-footed striker and an old-school stopper will be an enticing tangle of two of this season's best performers.

In the dugout

John Van 't Schip (City)

Last week's loss resulted in City losing ground in the premiership race, but a home match against the struggling Sky Blues presents a great opportunity for the Dutch coach to propel his team back into contention. Novillo has been recalled to add more firepower to his already attacking side.

Graham Arnold (Sydney FC)

In passing their greatest test of the season mid-week with flying colours, Sydney may just be about to clear the doldrums. Arnold knows a win in Melbourne is vital and if they can finally beat an interstate team a week after toppling the Asian champions, they may finally find momentum this season.

10 hours ago, n i k o said:

True. There has been no signs that have shown we have the mental capability to win the title. Cant see it happening.

No, we are still unable to cope with the anxiety of expectation. It's never changed except under Bambi when there were no expectations

Great point in the above article about Novillo having a field against Sydney's stand-in fullbacks.

With Sydney having no real fullbacks available, Melbourne City should be able to find lots of joy down the flanks. With Novillo and Fitzgerald on the wings, and Zullo and Franjic overlapping, I'm tipping the wide areas to be hugely important in this game.

I'm tipping the same team as last week with Novillo:

Novillo           Fornaroli             Fitzgerald

Mooy

Caceres       Malik

Zullo     Wilkinson      Kisnorbo    Franjic

Sorensen

Bench: Bouzanis, Chapman, Melling, Retre, Garuccio

Omitted: Brown, Marino

A fully fit and settled team. Absolutely no excuses for not delivering a good performance.