Melbourne Football

Rd 22: #MCYvSYD AAMI Park, Sat 5 Mar 2016, 7.30 pm

NuggetsMcGreggor

Too many variables to know what will happen here:

Will Harry return and what state will his head be in?

What has happened between JVS and Sorensen? Will he play or Bouzanis?

Usual topsy turvy City form, bizarre team and bench selections and tactics from JVS

The result will be anything between a 5-0 win and a 0-5 loss and nothing will surprise me

• Like 2

Do NOT start Sorenson. Can you imagine the confidence of the defence? Bloke has had 1 clean sheet all season. Pathetic. 

Velaphi had a significantly WORSE defence in front of him and managed damn near the most clean sheets in a season after only starting halfway through.

Only Bouzanis can save City and JVS. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, strider said:

Do NOT start Sorenson. Can you imagine the confidence of the defence? Bloke has had 1 clean sheet all season. Pathetic. 

Velaphi had a significantly WORSE defence in front of him and managed damn near the most clean sheets in a season after only starting halfway through.

Only Bouzanis can save City and JVS. 

I don't know if your kidding but I'll assume your not. Velaphi kept clean sheets because of a completely different tactical game plan. When we were keeping those clean sheets we were playing a much more defensive gamesytle. 

1 hour ago, Deeming said:

Was annoyed I am missing this game but after last night...meh

Ditto. Even before this week I had lost all my enthusiasm and excitement for the games. I am now in the camp of "if they win,  they win etc". I only joined the club in their second year so I now have absolute admiration for those who have stayed since the first year and keep putting up with these inconsistent performances. When do we start the topic "end of season 2015/16. Start planning for next year" ? 

2 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Knowing us we'll give Sydney their first win in 8 games...

Hahahah and Carney missing next week too! If we cant beat Sydney f.m.d

That's it, I predict a 1-2 loss to Sydney. JVS will leave the team woefully prepared, expecting to just turn up and walk the ball into the net. We'll play with even less intensity than we did against Nix, we'll concede 2 early goals to Sydney, 1 to us when we finally start playing however Sydney will park the bus and continue their usual turgid style of uninspiring defensive football.

9 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

That's it, I predict a 1-2 loss to Sydney. JVS will leave the team woefully prepared, expecting to just turn up and walk the ball into the net. We'll play with even less intensity than we did against Nix, we'll concede 2 early goals to Sydney, 1 to us when we finally start playing however Sydney will park the bus and continue their usual turgid style of uninspiring defensive football.

It's the perfect recipe for us to fuck it real good...

HAHAHAAH and Grant missing next week too!!

On 28/02/2016 at 0:21 PM, KSK_47 said:

People criticizing a team performance? Check. Your average fan calling for JVS to be sacked? Check. No chance of us going top? Check. A team that will be so weak they can barely field a team? Check

I smell a big win with lots of "where are the JVS haters now" comments coming up

Yep, spot on.

I'd also like to predict that Wellington will probably eke out a draw against Adelaide and Brisbane and Wanderers will either draw, or Brisbane will win. That will put us within 3-4 points of top spot and will trigger some "City is in red hot form" and "Here comes Melbourne City" articles in a week's time. And then JVS will again be talking about how we didn't come to play when we lose against Adelaide in two weeks.

Melbourne City’s Harry Novillo rushed back into side for clash with Sydney FC

David Davutovic and Matt Windley

1 March 2016

WITH his club-imposed ban over, Melbourne City will rush star attacker Harry Novillo into the first XI for Saturday’s clash with a depleted Sydney FC at AAMI Park.

Novillo only resumed training with the team yesterday after 10 days of solo sessions after City issued him with a two-game ban following a domestic dispute that saw him detained but released without charge.

City chief executive Scott Munn cut short his stay in Abu Dhabi, where the W-League side was playing a friendly against sister-club Manchester City, to return to Melbourne to investigate the matter.

Novillo, who was also fined half a week’s wages — the maximum allowed — copped a grilling from club officials with such incidents not viewed kindly by the City Football Group’s image-conscious hierarchy.

“While the incident has not resulted in criminal charges, the club’s investigations have confirmed that there has been a serious breach of the requirements set out in the FFA National Code of Conduct,” City said in a statement upon announcing Novillo’s suspension.

City expects keeper Thomas Sorensen to be fit despite coming off at half time in Wellington due to a sore achilles.

Scans on Monday cleared the Dane of any significant damage and he is likely to train today.

Novillo’s return will be a welcome one for a City side that is in the tightest of tussles for finals positioning.

Currently on 32 points, first-placed Western Sydney is only six points ahead with six games to play, but in-form Perth Glory is just four points in arrears in seventh and is looming ominously.

Despite scoring four goals against Central Coast in Round 20, City clearly missed Novillo — who’s scored nine goals this season — in its 2-1 loss to Wellington last Friday.

Novillo, Bruno Fornaroli and Aaron Mooy have combined brilliantly this season.

The club’s record when all three players have played is a healthy seven wins, three draws and three losses.

But City has only won two of the eight games it has played with at least one of the trio out, both of which have been at home to bottom side Central Coast.

Sydney’s playing stocks have been decimated ahead of a second visit to Melbourne in a week.

Defenders Jacques Faty, Sebastian Ryall and Rhyan Grant are all suspended, leaving Matthew Jurman as its only first-choice member of the back four available.

Winger David Carney, who scored the equaliser against Melbourne Victory on Saturday, is also suspended, while strikers Alex Brosque (hamstring) and Matt Simon (spleen) are highly unlikely to play.

The Sky Blues also have to contend with an Asian Champions League game against defending champion Guangzhou Evergande in Sydney on Wednesday night.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/aleague-melbourne-citys-harry-novillo-rushed-back-into-side-for-clash-with-sydney-fc/news-story/543a3c77f50cb529d8565b68805bc74d