Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

O'Neill has lost his starting spot at Standard for the last 4 games. Only had 9 mins last game. Also coinciding with some wins for Standard to drag them back into mid table. Doesn't bode well. Meanwhile Westerlo has only 1 win for the season and are in relegation zone

5 hours ago, Le Hack said:

O'Neill has lost his starting spot at Standard for the last 4 games. Only had 9 mins last game. Also coinciding with some wins for Standard to drag them back into mid table. Doesn't bode well. Meanwhile Westerlo has only 1 win for the season and are in relegation zone

And Bos also has lost his starting position.

47 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

And playing some woeful football too! Bos looked restricted when I was watching. No maraudering runs down the wings...

Overall the guys who exited this year does not make great reading at the moment

Lam looks like the only one holding 90 min games at PEC Zwolle and they're getting done each week. VDV has been out of the side at St Gallen was unused sub last game. Berisha hasn't found a club since being shown the door by Reims. O'Neill and Bos on the outer in Belgium. Glover can't crack into Middlesbrough team which is going terrible in the Championship. Tilio can't crack Celtic's first team.

It is still early days for the younger guys so they may make it but those two VDV and Berisha must be rueing returning back to Europe

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Le Hack said:

Overall the guys who exited this year does not make great reading at the moment

Lam looks like the only one holding 90 min games at PEC Zwolle and they're getting done each week. VDV has been out of the side at St Gallen was unused sub last game. Berisha hasn't found a club since being shown the door by Reims. O'Neill and Bos on the outer in Belgium. Glover can't crack into Middlesbrough team which is going terrible in the Championship. Tilio can't crack Celtic's first team.

It is still early days for the younger guys so they may make it but those two VDV and Berisha must be rueing returning back to Europe

Wasn't Berisha out on loan? VDV returned because of family reasons.

I wasn't expecting Tilio to break into the Celtic side as I think that Scottish football is not suited to City players - Atkinson has struggled for form at Hearts as well. As for Bos, the pre-season matches were his typical style of game. Then came the appendicitis and since then not the same. Also, the whole team is struggling.

Ā 

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/10/2023 at 5:38 PM, NewConvert said:

He may be able to get Kisnorbo as an assistant :)

As much as IĀ rag on PK, such a move vould actually work out for both. JVS was sometimes a bit too nice, so PK could provide some "cunt" to the coaching team whilst PK can continue to learn off another experienced coach.

Ā 

...byĀ learning about subs and tactics :).

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, IssySG said:

More interested in watching the footage of him getting injured against Hakoah

I feel that was a pivotal point in his City career. Trouble allĀ started upon return from this injure with Bruno not being the same the player but in his head he still was.

Things could have panned out very differently.

• Like 2

Just think - Heart started out withĀ JvS and Jesper Olsen as his assistant...those were the days!! We had our colours, we had Yarraside, we had banners and flags, a fanzine. We might have had makeshift facilities but so bloody what - we were a real club then.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Just think - Heart started out withĀ JvS and Jesper Olsen as his assistant...those were the days!! We had our colours, we had Yarraside, we had banners and flags, a fanzine. We might have had makeshift facilities but so bloody what - we were a real club then.

Is there anything the club can do to change your mind or do you think being part of CFG it's worthless?Ā 

Ā 

Because I semi agree with you but I think the club could do try new things moreĀ 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

We might have had makeshift facilities but so bloody what - we were a real club then.

We weren't a real club then; we were a franchise owned by a consortium of rich guys who chose to minimally invest. It was a good business decision as they made a profit selling the franchise to another even richer guy.

3 minutes ago, citypool said:

Is there anything the club can do to change your mind or do you think being part of CFG it's worthless?Ā 

Ā 

Because I semi agree with you but I think the club could do try new things moreĀ 

IMO it started well. You will recall the squad went to England and played three pre-season matches there. The changeroom at Bundoora was modelled on the one in Manchester. The scouting seemed to be a lot better and players came to us via a medical assessment in Manchester. We had City Voice, points we could redeem forĀ attendances at matches, and so on. We seemed to be building. But it seems to me to have fallen away badly - ironically that's when the Premierships and Championship have been won!! But personally I feel somehow "disinfected,"Ā that I'm a "customer" fed a "product" now, rather than a football fan going to watch my club, my team.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO it started well. You will recall the squad went to England and played three pre-season matches there. The changeroom at Bundoora was modelled on the one in Manchester. The scouting seemed to be a lot better and players came to us via a medical assessment in Manchester. We had City Voice, points we could redeem forĀ attendances at matches, and so on. We seemed to be building. But it seems to me to have fallen away badly - ironically that's when the Premierships and Championship have been won!! But personally I feel somehow "disinfected,"Ā that I'm a "customer" fed a "product" now, rather than a football fan going to watch my club, my team.

Fair enough. I think since we gave them azarni and mooy something has changed. I find the match day experience really dull where are the people at the front or the autograph session after or the magazines?Ā 

It's just really minimal like I had a great time at the double header I think a league has improved on the pitch but from what I can see clubs haven't done anything off the pitch since they the APL got controlĀ 

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

We weren't a real club then; we were a franchise owned by a consortium of rich guys who chose to minimally invest. It was a good business decision as they made a profit selling the franchise to another even richer guy.

@belaguttmanĀ I think you're just taking the opposite view to mine rather for the sake of it and not looking at the practical differences "then and now."

I could, and did, go to a family day at Latrobe and talk to Peter Sidwell, the Heart Chairman, both of us munching on frankfurters.Ā He gave a speech to the assembled fans. The players were introduced one by one and presented with their jerseys. Was there even a family day this season? When was the last time our Chairman watched a game? Is he accessible? We had a number of pre-season matches against local clubs and representative XIs where I talked to guys like JvS and Rutger Worm and there were triallists on show and Heart merchandise on sale - does this happen now? After home matches you could go up to the Westpac room at AAMI and mingle with the guys - does this happen now? DoĀ the players even acknowledge the fans at the Southern End anymore? Ever since football began clubs have been "owned" by somebody, and there have been changes in that ownership. My home town club was just that - owned by a group of local business people - the Chairman ran a plumbing business in the town. But the Directors were in the Directors Box at every match - are they there now at AAMI? Look at the corporate boxes at AAMI now - they are virtually empty because there is zilch local ownership.

That's what I'm talking about. Local identity. Fan engagement. Fan involvement. Being accessible.

We have none of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

@belaguttmanĀ I think you're just taking the opposite view to mine rather for the sake of it and not looking at the practical differences "then and now."

I could, and did, go to a family day at Latrobe and talk to Peter Sidwell, the Heart Chairman, both of us munching on frankfurters.Ā He gave a speech to the assembled fans. The players were introduced one by one and presented with their jerseys. Was there even a family day this season? When was the last time our Chairman watched a game? Is he accessible? We had a number of pre-season matches against local clubs and representative XIs where I talked to guys like JvS and Rutger Worm and there were triallists on show and Heart merchandise on sale - does this happen now? After home matches you could go up to the Westpac room at AAMI and mingle with the guys - does this happen now? DoĀ the players even acknowledge the fans at the Southern End anymore? Ever since football began clubs have been "owned" by somebody, and there have been changes in that ownership. My home town club was just that - owned by a group of local business people - the Chairman ran a plumbing business in the town. But the Directors were in the Directors Box at every match - are they there now at AAMI? Look at the corporate boxes at AAMI now - they are virtually empty because there is zilch local ownership.

That's what I'm talking about. Local identity. Fan engagement. Fan involvement. Being accessible.

We have none of it.

I agree, it isn't black and white, though, there was much better consumer engagement in the Heart days, but neither Heart nor City are community, member-owned clubs, or clubs where members are stakeholders in any meaningful way beyond being 'consumers of the product provided'.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The scouting was better???? Allow me to disagree.

Since CFG took over we have had better visa players arriving and we have done well in poaching youth from other clubs. Only CCM and AU are better at this. This season, I am hoping will be an outlier where the visa players were not the quality of the last couples of years and we are no longer developing the youth squad but I also feel that is a problem with Rado rather than the club.

I agree with fan engagement. And TBH I don't care whether the chairmen comes and watches games or not. As long as the local team CEO or FD do so, that is all I would need.

21 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

The scouting was better???? Allow me to disagree.

Since CFG took over we have had better visa players arriving and we have done well in poaching youth from other clubs. Only CCM and AU are better at this. This season, I am hoping will be an outlier where the visa players were not the quality of the last couples of years and we are no longer developing the youth squad but I also feel that is a problem with Rado rather than the club.

I agree with fan engagement. And TBH I don't care whether the chairmen comes and watches games or not. As long as the local team CEO or FD do so, that is all I would need.

I think JW is saying is that: the scouting (among other things) was better when CFG first took over and that it looked like they actually cared about the club, but now it seems like were are towards the bottom of a long list of clubs they have an ownership interest in.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, malloy said:

I think JW is saying is that: the scouting (among other things) was better when CFG first took over and that it looked like they actually cared about the club, but now it seems like were are towards the bottom of a long list of clubs they have an ownership interest in.

Yes. That is what I was saying.

8 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I think maybe we'll get a better picture now of how good our squad really is. Clearly there has been unhappiness behind the scenes for some time, and hopefully that has now been dealt with.

@fensaddlerĀ Absolutely. CFG don't terminateĀ managers based on a couple of on-field results - otherwise PK would have been gone from Troyes long ago.Ā 

46 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IIRC that was the "pissant town" comment?

Here is some of the transcriptĀ 

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/vidmar-outburst-after-4-0-loss/news-story/d074cd79e7b8ce1431a5d411d0699ab3

"It's a disgrace," Vidmar said the 4-0 thrashing.

"We owe the world an apology, a performance like that was a disgrace.

"Politics, that's what I put it down to.

"There's too many people in this club with hidden agendas.

"That's the problem.

"That 4-0 result tonight was politics, nothing else.

"Whether you're involved directly or indirectly you have an effect.

"It has an effect on everyone.

"Because of a piss-ant town this club will never win anything, until you get rid of that crap."

But Vidmar refused to name the suspects accused in what he described as bringing the club to its knees last night.

Vidmar sad the demise of the club started three weeks ago.

"You should know, you can name them," Vidmar told the Sunday Mail.

"You name them, you should know.

"Everyone's involved mate, everyone, it's a disgrace.

"And you know, because you're (Sunday Mail) involved as well."

Vidmar said Adelaide was a happy environment until a few weeks ago.

He said that Monday was D-Day for the player's group.

"Things change very quickly," Vidmar said.

"Someone's not happy with something they'll do anything they can to fracture it.

"Jealously whatever it is, whether it's ego, it smacks of all that at our club at this time.

"It's the underlying things around the club.

"I'm not going to name, names."

Vidmar then alluded to not caring about his future.

"I could not give a damn," he said.

"I want to be the coach yes, to work in a happy environment.

"You can't tell me that they've forgotten to play football overnight.

"There's a lot of shit in your mind.

"You can't play football you can't do anything."

Vidmar said he can't stop the "politics" in the club.

"It's going to be a massive heart to heart (with the players) on Monday morning," he said.

Ā 

Edited by haz