Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I think the situation is that we are likely to lose starting players. I'd love to see Cola back but I doubt that he's a starting player.

Apparently he has 1 more year to run on his contract in Perth. Unless they have a mutual agreement then he won't be coming back.

With a new coach inbound at Perth he has a much greater chance of becoming a starter...

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Have you heard of this platform called YouTube? There's heaps of videos and highlights from every game.

It's pretty neat, you should try it sometime...

4 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Have you heard of this platform called YouTube? There's heaps of videos and highlights from every game.

It's pretty neat, you should try it sometime...

of course, if you want the footage for the truly hardcore supporters you should try onlyfans ..... 😎

Edited by mattyh001
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Best midfielder in A League history and certainly was our best by far! Absolutely robbed of the Johnny Warren medal!

Couldn't agree more. Players are lucky to get more than 10 assists in a season. He got 20 assists to go with 10 goals. Absolutely robbed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

Aaron Mooy has retired effective immediately from football. Was an absolute delight watching him in City colours.

Agreed. The irony is that he never won anything with us, but, as a fan of the club, the Mooy seasons were just about the best in terms of being there at AAMI.

• Like 6

He lit the place up when he played at AAMI.  Good luck to him and his family.

Am I right in thinking he is the one player to leave City and really make a name for himself in Britain?  For a time a few years back he was an absolute Hero of Huddersfield, reducing elderly men in flat caps to tears  LOL.  ''Best player I have seen in 60 years watching the Terriers'' was a typical quote. Seriously.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/66063541

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CityWildcat said:

Am I right in thinking he is the one player to leave City and really make a name for himself in Britain?  For a time a few years back he was an absolute Hero of Huddersfield, reducing elderly men in flat caps to tears  LOL.  ''Best player I have seen in 60 years watching the Terriers'' was a typical quote. Seriously.

I think you are correct. Four seasons in the EPL say it all really. How privileged we are to have watched him play.

34 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Agreed. The irony is that he never won anything with us, but, as a fan of the club, the Mooy seasons were just about the best in terms of being there at AAMI.

Probably one of the most exciting teams assembled back then! Shame we couldn't really defend though, could have won it that season!

20 minutes ago, CityWildcat said:

He certainly has the best career post City of any of our players currently!! Bos or possibly O'Neil may have similar careers in Europe, will be interesting to see how they go! 

26 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Probably one of the most exciting teams assembled back then! Shame we couldn't really defend though, could have won it that season!

He certainly has the best career post City of any of our players currently!! Bos or possibly O'Neil may have similar careers in Europe, will be interesting to see how they go! 

It'll be hard to beat his record. He didn't just spend three (not four - my mistake) seasons with EPL clubs he played in 96 EPL matches.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It'll be hard to beat his record. He didn't just spend three (not four - my mistake) seasons with EPL clubs he played in 96 EPL matches.

Yeah he has certainly set the bar high for all to follow! Very decent career indeed from Aaron, and glad we got to watch him play for us!

Still probably one of my favourites season not only attacking football but really good 10K plus crowds and atmosphere which made them memorable unlike the last few seasons hugely successful on the field but atmospheres have lacked 

• Like 2

I'd make the argument that Mooy's successful career over in Europe (and particularly in the EPL) puts credence behind Aussie players establishing themselves in the aleague first and not rushing overseas.

IIRC Mooy spent four seasons here (2 with us, 2 with WSW) and was 25 before heading over. His stats were phenomenal with over 100 games between the 2 clubs.

For me, too many younger players rush overseas without establishing themselves as certain starters.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

I'd make the argument that Mooy's successful career over in Europe (and particularly in the EPL) puts credence behind Aussie players establishing themselves in the aleague first and not rushing overseas.

IIRC Mooy spent four seasons here (2 with us, 2 with WSW) and was 25 before heading over. His stats were phenomenal with over 100 games between the 2 clubs.

For me, too many younger players rush overseas without establishing themselves as certain starters.

Agreed. And IIRC he was adamant that Huddersfield was the best destination for him, and then proved himself correct. As Bos said recently - it's easy to get lost at a big club.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

Yeah you nailed it! Think Mooy has proven the best blueprint to overseas. Become outright starter and smash it out for a few seasons. Then go overseas...

33 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Yeah you nailed it! Think Mooy has proven the best blueprint to overseas. Become outright starter and smash it out for a few seasons. Then go overseas...

I can't remember - was he out-of-contract with us when he went, technically, to Manchester City before Huddersfield?

The problem facing clubs, especially City and Mariners (the two that seem to be the best(?) at bringing on the youth) is that they will get no fee if the player is no longer contracted. So, do we let let them go, possibly before they are really ready, but collect the fee and offset the cost of the academies, or do we wait until they are really ready and then we are empty-handed...no fee and no player. City has the backing of CFG, but clubs like the Mariners don't.

I don't think Arzani did the wrong thing - after all he had played at the World Cup - but he (and his advisers) made a bad choice to go to Scotland and then was cruelled by injury.

I think we'll know more about the "best template" when we see how Bos, O'Neill and Tilio go. Who else have we over there at the moment - Metcalfe, Atkinson? Curtis Good went and was injured for much of his time there. Jeremy Walker went and ended up at Concord Rangers. Who else?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The problem facing clubs, especially City and Mariners (the two that seem to be the best(?) at bringing on the youth) is that they will get no fee if the player is no longer contracted. So, do we let let them go, possibly before they are really ready, but collect the fee and offset the cost of the academies, or do we wait until they are really ready and then we are empty-handed...no fee and no player. City has the backing of CFG, but clubs like the Mariners don't.

You deal with that problem by giving players longer contracts

• Like 1

I think we'll know more about the "best template" when we see how Bos, O'Neill and Tilio go. Who else have we over there at the moment - Metcalfe, Atkinson? Curtis Good went and was injured for much of his time there. Jeremy Walker went and ended up at Concord Rangers. Who else?

It's pretty damn impressive to think we've got over 6+ recent Australian players playing in Europe. Don't think any other A-League clubs could boast that fact. 

Bouzanis

Atkinson 

Metcalfe

Glover

O'neil 

Bos

Tilio

Genreau 

And recently retired Mooy

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baka1 said:

Arzani signs with the Tards for 2 years. Fuck it’s good seeing them struggling for cash

What makes you think that Arzani being signed for 2 years indicates they are struggling for cash? Because they won't be bringing in any more "big name" players anytime soon?