Melbourne Football

Season 23/24 - Round 13 - Melbourne v Central Coast [Away] 21st Jan 6:00 pm

IssySG

Well, that game just encapsulates our season.

Positives:

We arrived at the ground at the 60th minute of the game and played reasonable football after that.

We are a different team with Nabbout and, to an extent, Antonis. We will be a different team if we ever get Nabbout, Leckie, Behich and Aslan on the pitch this season

Negatives:

we look like a team of 11 players who don't want to be there and are going through the motions.

Our midfield is porous, provides no protection for the back four and struggles to link in attacking transition

Our wide play without Nabbout is predictable and aimless, JMac is invisible

Speaking of JMac, he's a poor choice as captain, there's no on-field leadership, and he's invisible for most of most games.

Dressing rooms in poorly performing teams are always unhappy, but ours seems particularly unhappy.

I was startled to see the passion and anger in the closing minutes; where had that been all game? It's the role of the coaching team and the Captain and senior players to harness that into a positive on-field performance, whereas it appeared that most of the team had no passion and no desire to win during the first half. The passion at the end of the game was the first sign of life I've seen in this team all season.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

My late brother predicted at half-time the score and the sequence.

Lopane and Talbot must be project players. Caputo deserves more time than he is getting and Politides showed desperation that was missing from the whole team.Next game start Politides on the left and Galloway on the right. Talbot must be told that he is not doing enough to merit being in the starting line up.

Not sure on Nabbout's match fitness but if he is able to start then do so. Drop Natel to the bench and bring in Caputo instead. Hall acquitted himself so if Souprayen is not available then keep him there. Drop Lopane to the bench and start Antonis instead.

As for the melee, Farrel said something to Antonis which fired him right up.

And Kersey should never, ever officiate any sport in any universe.

Is it nearly time to just try something different. I know you can't just flip formations on their head midweek, but Hall was reasonable and I think Good and Soup both deserve to play, where neither Talbot or Galloway are really doing anything. Could we go with 3 at the back, we can't do any worse really

I know there is probably a perfectly logical reason why we can't, I'm just frustratedly  spitballing here 

5 minutes ago, neio said:

Is it nearly time to just try something different. I know you can't just flip formations on their head midweek, but Hall was reasonable and I think Good and Soup both deserve to play, where neither Talbot or Galloway are really doing anything. Could we go with 3 at the back, we can't do any worse really

I know there is probably a perfectly logical reason why we can't, I'm just frustratedly  spitballing here 

This is the first time Galloway has played on the left. He has been a very handy player on the right. Politidis replaced Galloway on the left and he was a step up. Play Galloway on the right and sub on Talbot.

I wouldn't swap formation but I would swap players. Natel does not want to be here, so send him back (if possible) and play Caputo instead.

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Removing the armband would be drastic.

Yes but he’s no captain material this is one our issues in a team which don’t click.

Anyway rumored refusing to extend your contract due to a coach means you think you are above the club.

In your 30s now, slowed down. The league has progressed, 8 out of 10 games your opponents have you covered. Struggling to make a difference when not served on a platter. If you want score and can’t contribute in open plan it’s very hard any team. Last two games were good example again. Sometimes we need admit that also a fan favourite can be part of our problem.

Next week he scores two easy ones and all the statisticians come out again. Rinse repeat. I’m sure he’s got a realistic view of himself, but where’s smoke there’s fire.

Edited by Mr MO

We looked like a football team after Nabbout came on.

Have to hand that last goal to young Jordan Hall though. He left 2 blokes for Good to deal with, he needed to be more central for mine. Inexperience and lack of matches perhaps.

Jamie does look a bit out of sorts. Maybe lacking a bit if belief to make the run. With his record though, I back him to come good.

• Like 1

Game management was poor - we were facked after equalising, so what do we do, push on and get smacked on the counter - we should have sat back a little after that one, in the context of the season, a draw would have been alright and kept us level with Cental Caravan Mariners (Fuck Matt Simon)...

I also think we should play 4-4-2 ... put Antonis or Caputo next to Jmac, and fack of Lopane

• Like 1

The biggest issue at the moment is our midfield. 

Barring aslan we have no type of presence there. Every time we try and move the ball forward,  our cb's are kicking the ball between them 400 000 times because they are simply not working hard enough to provide an option for them. Then, what ends up happening is that we have an overelience on our wingers so our forward play becomes so predictable. 

This also effects us defensively because they are constantly disorganised,  they fail to help the back 4 out and provide heaps of room for the opposition to operate.

Imo the only three players who have shown this season that they can play significant midfield minutes are: aslan, antonis and Sakai. Everyone else has been too up and down, so I would continue with these three and maybe even ugarkovic in certain situations? What do people here think our best midfield combination is?

If we can't get the midfield sorted out this will cost us our season.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Barring aslan we have no type of presence there. Every time we try and move the ball forward,  our cb's are kicking the ball between them 400 000 times because they are simply not working hard enough to provide an option for them. Then, what ends up happening is that we have an overelience on our wingers so our forward play becomes so predictable. 

This also effects us defensively because they are constantly disorganised,  they fail to help the back 4 out and provide heaps of room for the opposition to operate.

Imo the only three players who have shown this season that they can play significant midfield minutes are: aslan, antonis and Sakai. Everyone else has been too up and down, so I would continue with these three and maybe even ugarkovic in certain situations? What do people here think our best midfield combination is?

Definitely start Sakhi ahead of Lopane. If Leckie ever returns then Aslan and Leckie. Ugarkovic as an impact player.

17 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Either two ways imho, have Aslan and Sakhi as a double pivot with Aslan given the freedom to roam, with either Antonis or Caputo who can play the false 9 role.

Or get the fullbacks to cut in more and support the midfield (Sakhi) in build up and carrying the ball forward, Sakhi the single pivot, Aslan the 10 and Antonis or Caputo playing a similar role to how Van der Ven played last season. 

I think if Leckie comes back he'll go straight to the wing taking Natel's spot, but he could definitely do a job in the midfield as well.

58 minutes ago, moops said:

Either two ways imho, have Aslan and Sakhi as a double pivot with Aslan given the freedom to roam, with either Antonis or Caputo who can play the false 9 role.

Or get the fullbacks to cut in more and support the midfield (Sakhi) in build up and carrying the ball forward, Sakhi the single pivot, Aslan the 10 and Antonis or Caputo playing a similar role to how Van der Ven played last season. 

I think if Leckie comes back he'll go straight to the wing taking Natel's spot, but he could definitely do a job in the midfield as well.

And what happens when Jakolis back, probably same time as Leckie. Jakolis has arguably been our best winger this season. I feel we're sort of have too many wingers and deficient in young good defenders and in good midfielders. It's just the wingers have been the injured

Arslan & Sakhi are class, it's just Vidmar seems to think Sakhi is a traditional 6 where just isn't, more of a deep lying playmaker than anything.

Although he is not exactly what we expected Ugarkovic is still the best for that out and out defensive midfielder role.

20 hours ago, Zanty said:

The issue is, wasn't Ugarkovic meant to be this imposing 6 that we want?

Most people around the forum were quite happy when we signed him, but he has been average at best so far this season.

If we could even sign another mid during the transfer windows that would be sweet.

24 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Most people around the forum were quite happy when we signed him, but he has been average at best so far this season.

If we could even sign another mid during the transfer windows that would be sweet.

I was not one of the happy people. He looked good in other teams because they were average teams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

It's weird, after years of recruiting what seemed like nothing but midfielders, that suddenly our midfield options are the issue

IMO we've got issues all over the park. They've been evident right from the start of the season against Oakleigh.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO we've got issues all over the park. They've been evident right from the start of the season against Oakleigh.

I think some of the players just need good coaching. Not necessarily getting rid of them.   

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

agreed.

our wide attacking players are not what they were last few years (hard to plan for when the three we started the season with in Leckie, Nabbout and Jakolis have been injury prone), while our midfield three hasnt settled.

plus the loss of Lam and Van Der Venne when they did leave meant the club was scrambling to replace them.

5 hours ago, Le Hack said:

And what happens when Jakolis back, probably same time as Leckie. Jakolis has arguably been our best winger this season. I feel we're sort of have too many wingers and deficient in young good defenders and in good midfielders. It's just the wingers have been the injured

I expect Leckie and Jakolis to be the wingers, I was only talking about the midfielders.

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

And now Sakhi is gone. We are utterly buggered.

Well, it creates an opportunity; we are still within the transfer window.

I suspect that there are other issues in the dressing room though; that may be the bigger issue

12 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Sahki signed a contract last month. What did I miss?

He lasted 12 days from the announcement of the signing to the news that he's leaving.

It's officially announced on the club website. https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/20240124-sakhi-departs

Whatever the background, it's an amazing change of heart in such a short time. Of course difficult circumstances do happen with and in families, but I can't help but feel that there's more to these departures than meets the eye.

I guess we say "Thank you Hamza" and wish him all the best for the future.

Edited by jw1739