Melbourne Football

The Tolgay Arslan thread

jw1739

Certainly has a very good pedigree/cv. Coming straight from the Seria A and playing decent minutes in every game, at least looks very solid on paper.

From the highlights he looks like he is a good ball carrier with great dribbling skills and solid passing range. Not afraid to shoot from range which should see him as a bit of a threat outside the box.

Of course the greatest test will be seeing him playing in the best 11.

• Like 1

I’m trying to remember who we have signed in the past straight from a “top league.” I suspect that Gerald Sibon (Heerenveen, Eredivisie), Bruno Fornaroli, (Danubio, Uruguay) Craig Noone (Bolton, EFL Championship) and Adrian Luna (Liga MX, Mexico) might be the only candidates? Have I missed anyone?

I would say that Arslan has a pedigree that might even be better than any of those four?

27 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I’m trying to remember who we have signed in the past straight from a “top league.” I suspect that Gerald Sibon (Heerenveen, Eredivisie), Bruno Fornaroli, (Danubio, Uruguay) Craig Noone (Bolton, EFL Championship) and Adrian Luna (Liga MX, Mexico) might be the only candidates? Have I missed anyone?

I would say that Arslan has a pedigree that might even be better than any of those four?

Manuel Susaeta had a very good CV

Just now, Zanty said:

Van Der Venne?

There you go - forgotten already! Yes, I should have included Richard - came from the RKC Waalwijk, Eredivisie. And no doubt he was good for us and personally I regret that he's jumped ship. But I'd say Tolgay trumps him in terms of CV. On the pitch - well, we wait and see.

53 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

There you go - forgotten already! Yes, I should have included Richard - came from the RKC Waalwijk, Eredivisie. And no doubt he was good for us and personally I regret that he's jumped ship. But I'd say Tolgay trumps him in terms of CV. On the pitch - well, we wait and see.

Will be interesting to see who we bring in as a Berisha replacement, need that more creative midfielder for that role

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zanty said:

Will be interesting to see who we bring in as a Berisha replacement, need that more creative midfielder for that role

If you include loan players I guess you'd have to include the likes of De Laet and McCormack on the list. Not sure about Berisha or Jenkinson - on the books of clubs but were they actually playing? Berisha seems to be returning to Reims after a change in the coach.

58 minutes ago, HughJass said:

Sorenson 

...and also Michael O'Halloran (loan from St. Johnstone, Scottish Premiership).

More players in the list than I could remember. How easily we forget them unless they make a memorable impact.

22 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Rutger Wurm - Eredivisie

David Villa 😁 - La Liga

Skoko - Croatian First League

Garcia - Championship

Grella* - Premier League

Meeuwis - Eredivisie

Weilart - Eredivisie

Engelaart - Eredivisie

Duff - Premier League (Arguably championship as filham were relegated in his last season iirc).

Koren - Premier League

Kilkenny - Championship

Schenkeveld - Eredivisie

Hendry* - Scottish Premier League

Hughes - Championship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

@malloy Probably also Josip Tadic (Lechia Gdansk) and Marcin Budzinski (Cracovia).

Was the overall standard of the League better in those days, or should we have won more trophies?

I ummed and ahhedd over those two, but probably could bring them in. It is a bit subjective as to what a top league is. I think I excluded one or two who came from either Norway or Denmark which both have higher association coefficients than Croatia, with Croatia not much higher than Poland.

Then we can start getting into nuiances, would Eli Babalj count on (second stint for us), coming back from Red Star Belgrade after 6 months, having played a time adjusted equivalent number of games to Tadic for their previous team, but in a higher ranked league.

Some other names I think might have slipped through cracks, Colazo, Josh Kennedy, potentially Cahill (is China a top league?), Carbrera and a very obvious one (apologies if mentioned earlier), Leckie.

@malloy Probably to make it easier we could limit it to the "Top 5" leagues, so the debate moves to which they are.

Livescore ranks them as (1-5): England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France;

https://www.globalfootballrankings.com/ ranks them: England, Germany, Italy, Spain, France;

UEFA (restricted to Europe of course) https://www.uefa.com/nationalassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2023 has: England, Spain, Germany, Italy France.

There will be many more listings based on various criteria. But the above narrows the field a bit!

Leckie of course, came direct from Hertha BSC in the Bundesliga!

52 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@malloy Probably to make it easier we could limit it to the "Top 5" leagues, so the debate moves to which they are.

I think the ultimate comparison would be players we've signed directly from the top 5 European leagues. If they actually were playing regularly before joining us. Thirdly how they actually performed/contributed to our season. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Our German/Turkish Aaron Mooy.  What an absolute pleasure it is watching this guy. His vision is second to none in this league. He knows exactly where his team mates are around him before we even do. Deserved goal last night and player of the match. Hope he stays injury free and can continue to build on his performances. 

Seems like a genuinely decent human being too. Loved that he is mentoring Mazzeo. 

• Like 1

Seriously what is this bloke doing in the A League? 
on the run from something in his personal life? 
pissed off some powerful football people so now can’t get a contract in an entire continent? 
Got family down here and hates paying airlines?

Whatever the reason, he’s a hell of a signing. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, D.B. Cooper said:

pissed off some powerful football people so now can’t get a contract in an entire continent? 

wouldnt be surprised if he simply wanted to try a new challenge. same here; one's one hell of a signing.

my understanding is that he's on a two year deal.  hope that we sign him him longer soon.

2 hours ago, D.B. Cooper said:

He was offered a contract renewal in the Serie A but wanted to move to a nice country to raise his kids. (Watch from 0:49). 

If we play our cards right, don't see why we couldn't extend him for a few more years! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, haz said:

He was offered a contract renewal in the Serie A but wanted to move to a nice country to raise his kids. (Watch from 0:49). 

If we play our cards right, don't see why we couldn't extend him for a few more years! 

Indeed. As I've said before don't underestimate the attraction of Australia. For many in Europe a chance to live and work here is still seen as the golden ticket.

• 1 month later...
Feb 05, 2024   |  7:08PM AET

ARSLAN REFERRED TO DISCIPLINARY AND ETHICS COMMITTEE

Arslan referred to Disciplinary and Ethics Committee

Melbourne City FC can confirm that midfielder, Tolgay Arslan, has been referred directly to Football Australia’s Disciplinary and Ethics Committee by Football Australia’s independent Match Review Panel after receiving a red card in the moments following Friday’s fixture in Perth.

Football Australia will confirm the date and time of the Disciplinary and Ethics Committee hearing shortly.

The Club respects the processes of the Disciplinary and Ethics Committee, and therefore will not be making any further comment until the hearing is concluded.

Arslan will not be available for selection for this Saturday’s match against Brisbane Roar.

±++++++++++±

I feel for him. The ref was a knob and did nothing about the abuse he copped during the game ... its a shame that the best players in the league cop the Matt Simon treatment ... he really should have just stuck to having a crack in German ... hopefully it's just a few weeks

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

±++++++++++±

I feel for him. The ref was a knob and did nothing about the abuse he copped during the game ... its a shame that the best players in the league cop the Matt Simon treatment ... he really should have just stuck to having a crack in German ... hopefully it's just a few weeks

I agree. He's too good for this pathetically run league. Once upon a time we used to look after our great creative players.

Arslan gets no protection at all from the refs. No doubt he'd be thinking why the fk do i bother? He should just pack up and go somewhere where he can get the respect he deserves. 

• Like 2

Ok, I have found a transcript of the conversation:

TA: "Ref, Shane, you, dumme Gans!  I want a word"

Ref: "Not now, I'm exhausted after that, it was only my 3rd game you know, I did OK, yeah?"

TA: "Did you not see that little Ronald McDonald looking respektloser Schläger attacking me all night?  Look at my nase, its like a paviane Arsch thanks to his elbow.  All night he attacked, and you did nothing"

Ref: "Hey, even though its my 3rd game, I've dished out over 10 yellow cards already, so I do ref pretty good ... and by the way, I don't like your tone, and also don't speak German at me! I don't know what you're saying!"

TA: "You know, its hard in this team.  Our coach is never happy, even though we are trying. And despite the injuries and players leaving, it's just the little things, I think we are close.  And this place is terrible, seriously what league makes you fly a third of the way across the globe just to play in front of a bunch of uncultured morons who are content with Hoof ball, and really only want to see any proper football players get gehackt.  And its wie eine Sauna here as well"

Ref: "Look I said no more German, even though the game is over, I can still punish you"

TA: "This league is punishment enough ... arschgeige ..."

Ref: "That's it, RED CARD!"

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2