Melbourne Football

ROUND 5: Adelaide v City 5th November 8pm

n i k o

If he's a sub to play a central role then it's ok. If he's going to be subbed for the wing then JVS seems to have even less clue than I thought. Unless he's just there as back up in case something happens to Fornaroli. 

We shouldn't be playing attacking wingers, we should play down the centre to support Bruno close in because that where he is strong. Meh JVS knows better I suppose as he is a tactical genius. [emoji45]

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Finally, pretty much back to full strength. No excuses not to win.

lol Koren

In fairness though I agree with some others in thinking Fornaroli's best link up man pre season was Koren. I think he'll come in handy towards the back half of the year, still not marquee standard, but someone who I think will really add something if we've got some quality up forward. 

Novillo and Hughes back for City as Van 't Schip demands boldness

November 4, 2014

Michael Lynch

Melbourne City will look to the return to action of two key players – French winger Harry Novillo and Northern Ireland defender Aaron Hughes – to help it bounce back from the horror fade out against the Newcastle Jets when it travels to South Australia to face Adelaide United on Thursday night.

City were two up and cruising in the game against the Jets last Friday only to implode and concede three second-half goals to lose a match they should have put to bed before the interval.

Coach John Van 't Schip has lamented his side's inability to stick to a game plan – that of high pressing all over the field and rotating possession of the ball – and hopes that the return of the previously injured pair will not just boost competition for places but galvanise the squad.

He has also demanded that they look at themselves in the mirror and accept responsibility for not sticking to the game plan and letting an almost certain three points slip away.

Novillo and Hughes have not played at all this season so it would be asking a lot for them to play full games against the Reds. But both, especially Novillo, can be expected to play some part in the match against an Adelaide side which is in even more trouble than City.

The latter has at least won once this season – when it saw off Central Coast Mariners in an exuberant display at AAMI Park in round three.

The Reds have yet to taste victory and are coming off a last time out loss, to Brisbane Roar.

Van 't Schip is delighted to have both in contention.

"Harry is going to be available for selection. He got through tests last week, just before the Newcastle game. Harry has been really good, really professional. He has worked really hard.

"It was 12 weeks that they said before he could come back. He had difficult moments but because it was a tricky one with him we had to be careful, and he had to be careful. He has done a lot of training to a certain level because he couldn't really make explosive runs yet.

All his tests were good last week, so he stepped things up. He is ready now to start with the team.

"Aaron is another one that is going to be available.

"He came through a game they (the squad players not involved against Newcastle) played on Saturday. He played an hour, he should be close to coming in, although it is always a difficult one, especially with centre backs (Hughes position).You can't really change them around.

"We will just have to manage that in a good way. He is available. He has to get back to game fitness, but you only get that by playing high level games. He is not really a 90-minute player yet."

City has been plagued by a series of soft tissue injuries, and Van 't Schip admitted that it was a cause for concern.

"We are looking at everything, the training, the pitch, maybe the hardness could be an issue, so of course the medical staff has a role in that to address us and say what we can do.

"We are trying to manage that in a good way, without taking the risk that we lose players again. You want to build them up, but there are still restrictions on some players, how many minutes they can play. And because we have a few of them it is not easy managing the subs and the players who start and those on the bench.

"In a month's time, hopefully, we have players who are all at a good level. We still have Michael Zullo, Ivan Franjic and Robbie Koren [to come back]. We now have Corey [Gameiro] back, David [Williams] back, Harry back and Aaron hughes back, so that's four compared with a few weeks ago."

He is not prepared to use the lack of depth and injuries as an excuse for last weekend's disappointing collapse.

"It's too easy to talk of lack of depth. I think we should really look in the mirror and say hey, we let something slip away there. All together we have to be more brave and courageous in keeping on doing what we were doing instead of going back. But it's also a fact that the depth....we are playing with very young players, and you know with young players it's up and down. That's what you could also see in this game."

Van 't Schip has personally come in for a barrage of criticism on social media with fans questioning whether he is the right person to bring the club to the next level. He has been there for several years in two stints now and supporters are getting restless.

The reaction is not something that surprises him.

"I understand fans, everybody wants to win. You are supporting a team and no-one likes to lose. That's very understandable. But I can't take too much notice of that. I have seen what's happening within the team and the group. We know we have to get through this storm of injuries and less depth in the squad and look further (forward) as well.

"In the meantime the boys who are playing are showing good things. It's now extending those periods of good play to a longer period. It's also opportunities that they are getting.

"Hopefully it will help us towards the end of the season that now the young players that are playing are really getting to be full squad members, so that when everyone is there there is big competition going on. We will need every player in the season, so every negative thing has a big advantage also, and thats the way I look at it at this moment."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/soccer-novillo-and-hughes-back-for-city-as-van-t-schip-demands-boldness-20151104-gkqfk4.html

It really is a massive disgrace and huge disappointment that we get nothing from the one spot on the roster that has no limitations and should be a major source of excitement for the fans. The player who should be a star, a match winner, a pivotal part of the team. The player for the rest of the team to aspire to ... ESPECIALLY with CFG's coin ... but no, we just get the continued disappointment and horror show that is Koren.

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 3

Unfortunately it looks like the sceptics have been proven right with Koren. Can't even get on the pitch, and it's uncertain whether he'll play before December. He's proving to be a real bust, and it's a big handicap when other teams get a player like Berisha, Broich or Carrusca on their books, and we have to hope our salary cap players like Novillo and Fornaroli can star in the league like players on much bigger salaries can.

It's a big opportunity lost, but I'm not too worried about Koren being sidelined because we've got players who can fill his boots. Mauk is playing well, and with Fornaroli, Gameiro and Novillo a believe we have a triumvirate that will produce the goals that Koren was in part expected to score (Koren did score bags of goals at every previous club he played for, and I have little doubt he was expected to be a goal-scoring midfielder to replace Engelaar).

My tip for the starting line-up:

Sorensen

Retre - Chapman - Kisnorbo - Garuccio

Melling

Mauk       Mooy

Gameiro          Fornaroli        Williams

Bench

Velaphi

Hughes

Clisby (IMO he might replace Garuccio at LB and have Garuccio go to LW, hence the wingers that were dropped from last week's squad)

Paartalu

Novillo

So pretty much exactly the same starting lineup as the past two games, but with new wingers. Over those two games, against CCM then against Newcastle, there's been goals and some good football, and hopefully with the new players in Melbourne City can produce good team football over 90 minutes, with no stupid lapses. And I'm pretty positive about what our recently returned attackers can do.

Unfortunately it looks like the sceptics have been proven right with Koren. Can't even get on the pitch, and it's uncertain whether he'll play before December. He's proving to be a real bust, and it's a big handicap when other teams get a player like Berisha, Broich or Carrusca on their books, and we have to hope our salary cap players like Novillo and Fornaroli can star in the league like players on much bigger salaries can.

It's a big opportunity lost, but I'm not too worried about Koren being sidelined because we've got players who can fill his boots. Mauk is playing well, and with Fornaroli, Gameiro and Novillo a believe we have a triumvirate that will produce the goals that Koren was in part expected to score (Koren did score bags of goals at every previous club he played for, and I have little doubt he was expected to be a goal-scoring midfielder to replace Engelaar).

Sorensen

Melling

Mauk       Mooy

Bench

Velaphi

Hughes

Clisby (IMO he might replace Garuccio at LB and have Garuccio go to LW, hence the wingers that were dropped from last week's squad)

Paartalu

Novillo

So pretty much exactly the same starting lineup as the past two games, but with new wingers. Over those two games, against CCM then against Newcastle, there's been goals and some good football, and hopefully with the new players in Melbourne City can produce good team football over 90 minutes, with no stupid lapses. And I'm pretty positive about what our recently returned attackers can do.

Not sure about having guys come on after soft tissue injuries. Maybe give Novillo 45mins on the park and bring Williams on at half time, he seems better off the bench when the other team after fucked anyways.

Sorensen

Melling

Mauk       Mooy

Bench

Velaphi

Hughes

Paartalu

Novillo

Garuccio go to LW

Sorry Murph, can not agree there

Ben looks a shadow of his former self, he has been in countless positions this season where he has he opportunity to take on his man( I'm talking about the final third of the pitch) ann he doesn't, he lays it off, or passes back, as a former winger he should be having a crack, last Friday was a perfect example, he had four or five chances to do so in the second half

• Like 1

Why not forget about Koren? He missed the first 10 matches of last season, and he's going to miss at least 6 this season - probably more. Talking about him is just self-inflicted pain. He'll leave at the end of this season. And he's not the only one who demonstrates that our recruiting has not been up to the mark.

Hopefully once and for all we will learn the lesson of what type and age of player to sign, especially visa and marquee players.

Unlucky for Kuzi

What will be annoying is if Dekker ends up playing on the wing at some point during this game. Fair enough if you're bringing Dekker as a backup CF, but he is really bad as a winger (may be really bad as a CF as well TBH, but has the benefit of the doubt currently due to a few good performances)

• Like 2

Honestly I'm pretty sceptical about how good Adelaide are this season. If anything, they have a better squad this season, but look trash. Looks like Gombau was working some magic last season and they arent very good without him.

I also think our style of play will be suited against Adelaide.

Either a draw or we win.

Edited by Tesla

I hope we win 5-0 

fuck you guys hoping we lose just so JVS gets sacked, CFG are deadset retarded if they're making decisions based on game-by-game performances rather than long-term trends.

I buy a membership to watch us win, not to play like shit so our terrible manager gets sacked. 

short term pain for long term gain. I too like to watch us win, but wins don't give me the same satisfaction when I know we're just as likely to lose horribly next week, and that the situation won't change until big changes are made. Is your leg gangrenous? Don't keep taking painkillers saying see it's not hurting right now, it must be fine, and putting bandaids on it saying we'll see if it heals itself. Just cut the bastard off.

• Like 2

i got a bad feeling about this one guys

schmurda

I hope we win 5-0 

fuck you guys hoping we lose just so JVS gets sacked, CFG are deadset retarded if they're making decisions based on game-by-game performances rather than long-term trends.

I buy a membership to watch us win, not to play like shit so our terrible manager gets sacked. 

wow ok mr nate tell me what u really think 

Honestly I'm pretty sceptical about how good Adelaide are this season. If anything, they have a better squad this season, but look trash. Looks like Gombau was working some magic last season and they arent very good without him.

I also think our style of play will be suited against Adelaide.

Either a draw or we win.

I think that AU is in a similar coaching position to us, a coach who was an (even more) successful player but who is also naturally quiet and introverted. He's followed up an extroverted coach and the transition is difficult for the team. Introverted coaches can work very well but need a united cohesive team.

what kind of paper?

a 35 year old who's high point was playing in the English 2nd division. That's the CV of an under the cap player at best. If he was 25, then yeah, maybe.

I don't know if it's you that keeps making this point, so apologies if I'm picking on the wrong guy, but he played in the Premier League for two different clubs, West Brom and Hull, captaining Hull for a period too.

He's also played 60-odd games for his national team and captained them too. You're damn right that on paper he should've been better than Engelaar.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 4