Melbourne Football

ROUND 5: Adelaide v City 5th November 8pm

n i k o

Adelaide have been terrible, so I will predict a 2-0 loss with goals to Dugandzic and Babalj.

Babalj is injured and won't be playing. I can't see us winning though even though Adelaide look shapeless and have no apparent game plan in their game against Roar. The danger for us will be Goodwin who will easily get past our full backs. I can't see us playing 90 minutes of football and so can't see us beating even this Adelaide team that are a shadow of their former selves. 

Agree with the 2-0 or maybe 2-1 win to AU. If JVS [ulls something special out of the bag as he seem to do when under the pump we may get a 2-2 draw.

Would like to see 2-0 up at half time and JVS actually making some changes so we can defend the lead, maybe sub some defenders in, that's what every one else does right?

Can someone tell him to study the Italian 'catenaccio' system. He can use it to defend a lead its not hard. The Italians do it all the time, its ugly but it works.

Just think about it JVS.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Would like to see Clisby in for Chapman and Paartalu for Melling. Melling to the bench to come on for Mauk when he's done. Be nice if Novillo could make the bench ahead of Dekker and Hughes to the bench (with Gameiro).

I reckon if Huges is fit youll see him come straight in for Kisnorbo

We can't keep chopping and changing the squad with players. How can we expect consistent results if there are so many changes happening. IMO we should continue with the same starting eleven we had on Friday provided they've recovered well.

And changing Clisby for Chapman is crazy. 

• Like 5

IMO we should have Trifiro on the bench pretty regularly. I thought that's why we signed him, as a utility player to plug holes. Quite apart from injuries it concerns me that our recruiting seems to focus on players who play in only one position? I reckon you need more versatility in the squad than that.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

Agree we can't keep chopping and changing the starting lineup. 1 change at most to the starting lineup IMO. We should have a different bench though, and I'm hoping we can have a fit Gameiro and Novillo coming off the bench, and Paartalu or Koren or Trifiro to replace Mauk or Melling (whoever's more tired and less effective late in the game).

Definitely have the cattle, and will have more players back by Thursday. As Gaurccio said post-match, the 1st half against Newcastle was exactly the gameplan they are pursuing--pro-active defence with pressing, possession and lots of shots at goal. Time to start producing the gameplan over more than 1 half of football.

• Like 1

Agree we can't keep chopping and changing the starting lineup. 1 change at most to the starting lineup IMO. We should have a different bench though, and I'm hoping we can have a fit Gameiro and Novillo coming off the bench, and Paartalu or Koren or Trifiro to replace Mauk or Melling (whoever's more tired and less effective late in the game).

Definitely have the cattle, and will have more players back by Thursday. As Gaurccio said post-match, the 1st half against Newcastle was exactly the gameplan they are pursuing--pro-active defence with pressing, possession and lots of shots at goal. Time to start producing the gameplan over more than 1 half of football.

I actually have to disagree with you Murfy, I believe there needs to be a few changes so that we can actually keep a clean sheet. For instance, why hasn't Richardson figured at all? I know nothing about the guy, but I do remember someone saying in a pre-season game he looked good. I would take a chance in bringing him, Clisby and Paartalu (even though I am not a fan) into the team. I like Melling and Mauk, but I would prefer if they started on the bench for this one. This would be my selection:

Sorenson

Richardson                     Chapman                 Kisnorbo                    Clisby

Retre                                Paartalu

Mooy

Williams                                          Fornaroli                              Garuccio

Subs: Velaphi (if fit); Melling;  Mauk;  Gameiro; Novillo (if fit)

I would tell Retre and Paartalu to support the back four and keep the shape. Back up Mooy when necessary. I think Williams and Garuccio would be better as wide players because of their pace, work rate and the ability to help defend better than the likes of Gameiro, Dekker, Zinni or Espindola.

We also need to free up Mooy to carry the attack and link up with Fornaroli. Also, with this team, we don't need defenders on the bench with players like Retre and Garuccio being adaptable if necessary.

I am sure many will disagree with my team, but we need to be more compact all over the field, which we weren't against Newcastle.

The thing is silva what do we do then? When this team fails again do we drop them again and bring in the others? For me Mauk and Melling have shown they have the hunger and commitment to compete for their positions so they should keep their positions. In that formation you have posted you have three players that haven't played the last two games and another three that are playing new positions. That impacts not only them but the players around them. There's just too much unfamiliarity. How will the team ever gel with so many changes? 

• Like 1

The thing is silva what do we do then? When this team fails again do we drop them again and bring in the others? For me Mauk and Melling have shown they have the hunger and commitment to compete for their positions so they should keep their positions. In that formation you have posted you have three players that haven't played the last two games and another three that are playing new positions. That impacts not only them but the players around them. There's just too much unfamiliarity. How will the team ever gel with so many changes? 

I agree with Niko here. Silva, I suspect you are looking at this from a short-term perspective. This is our sixth season of chopping and changing the team - it hasn't worked before, so why should it now? Also we must have a bench that can actually add something if the players come on. I look at the two benches in most matches and shudder when I see the quality on the opposition's bench and the crap on ours. (Such as Sydney last season with Janko on the field and Smeltz on the bench.)

I understand what you are saying Niko. However, for me Retre is more of a midfielder and Garuccio a wide player. The fact we have a defender like Richardson available and have not utilised him is once again down to poor decisions by JVS. For me Melling and Mauk were out on their feet in the second half against Newcastle. I would not play both of them together for this game. 

What I am trying to do is show we need a balanced team which can defend and attack as a team. If we bring Paartalu back into the team, then we need someone alongside him to help out in the defensive duties. At this moment I would prefer Retre over Melling for this game.

I agree with Niko here. Silva, I suspect you are looking at this from a short-term perspective. This is our sixth season of chopping and changing the team - it hasn't worked before, so why should it now? Also we must have a bench that can actually add something if the players come on. I look at the two benches in most matches and shudder when I see the quality on the opposition's bench and the crap on ours. (Such as Sydney last season with Janko on the field and Smeltz on the bench.)

You are correct JW. I am only thinking about the next game, and us maybe getting a win or draw. I do think the bench that I have selected is much stronger as well. Even if you put Melling in for Retre, I still think the team and bench is stronger.

My reason for selecting Richardson and Paartalu is to add height for us to defend set pieces and maybe score from set pieces. 

I understand what you are saying Niko. However, for me Retre is more of a midfielder and Garuccio a wide player. The fact we have a defender like Richardson available and have not utilised him is once again down to poor decisions by JVS. For me Melling and Mauk were out on their feet in the second half against Newcastle. I would not play both of them together for this game. 

What I am trying to do is show we need a balanced team which can defend and attack as a team. If we bring Paartalu back into the team, then we need someone alongside him to help out in the defensive duties. At this moment I would prefer Retre over Melling for this game.

Did you see last years game when Retre played in the midfield? It was diabolical, similar to Miller on Friday who was deported to right back after 10 minutes of being subbed on. Retre is playing because being in right back has revitalised his position in the team.

From a tactical point of view I just think our defensive woes on Friday began when our subs on the wing were not defending well enough. I think there has to be a better explanation for Mauk and Melling being fatigued, but I also know with each game they will improve in this area. 

I agree though with your questioning as to why Richardson hasn't been utilised yet. I was sure when we played Perth he would be brought in as centre back over Clisby. 

So we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Besides perhaps one change, as Murphy mentioned, I would try keep things as similar to our game on Friday. 

Did you see last years game when Retre played in the midfield? It was diabolical, similar to Miller on Friday who was deported to right back after 10 minutes of being subbed on. Retre is playing because being in right back has revitalised his position in the team.

From a tactical point of view I just think our defensive woes on Friday began when our subs on the wing were not defending well enough. I think there has to be a better explanation for Mauk and Melling being fatigued, but I also know with each game they will improve in this area. 

I agree though with your questioning as to why Richardson hasn't been utilised yet. I was sure when we played Perth he would be brought in as centre back over Clisby. 

So we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Besides perhaps one change, as Murphy mentioned, I would try keep things as similar to our game on Friday. 

I remember that game Retre played and he was very poor, a rabbit caught in the headlights. However, Niko you must agree he has improved threefold since that game, playing out of position at right back. In the game against Newcastle he was the player who showed most energy for most of the game. I know he can get beat for pace with a speedy winger, but overall I believe he has been one of the most improved players in the team.

It is all about opinions Niko, but whoever he picks we need to have a solid base to launch our attacks.

Definitely is about opinions. I believe defending one corner of the pitch with the play constantly in front of you is different to having to defend, attack and be perceptually aware of everyone around you when playing centrally. That's why Retre has improved, not necessarily because of himself but the role he plays is much simpler to execute effectively for his level.  

Remember Hoffman also was one of our most consistent and best performers when he converted from midfield to right back as well. 

• Like 2

i would leave the team unchanged. Backs who can't defend and midfield hell bent on expending all their energy in the first 30 minutes and cannot see out the game.

This will just highlight the imbecile who is in charge and hopefully precipitate a phone call from the Sheikh.

The worst thing is that it isn't the players faults. They are told a game plan and as far as we know comply to the letter. The problem is that our tactics are static and rigid and unfortunately flawed. All this is doing is to lose credibility for the players and piss off a lot of City fans who will just continue to vote with their feet every time we capitulate to a crap team.

• Like 2

i would leave the team unchanged. Backs who can't defend and midfield hell bent on expending all their energy in the first 30 minutes and cannot see out the game.

This will just highlight the imbecile who is in charge and hopefully precipitate a phone call from the Sheikh.

The worst thing is that it isn't the players faults. They are told a game plan and as far as we know comply to the letter. The problem is that our tactics are static and rigid and unfortunately flawed. All this is doing is to lose credibility for the players and piss off a lot of City fans who will just continue to vote with their feet every time we capitulate to a crap team.

I couldn't have put it better Ray. It is fine to press high if you have the team and fitness to do this for 90 minutes. Unfortunately we don't. Maybe in time we will, but until we do, different tactics need to be used. I believe the way to go is to have two holding midfielders to give us a solid base and protect the defence. 

Definitely is about opinions. I believe defending one corner of the pitch with the play constantly in front of you is different to having to defend, attack and be perceptually aware of everyone around you when playing centrally. That's why Retre has improved, not necessarily because of himself but the role he plays is much simpler to execute effectively for his level.  

Remember Hoffman also was one of our most consistent and best performers when he converted from midfield to right back as well. 

Of course it is easier to defend one side, but I still believe he has improved his overall play. For me he has the energy to be able to play that midfield role now. Whether it is on the bench or starting, this is the position I would like to see him play. Let's start playing defenders in the defensive positions when we have them available.