Melbourne Football

ROUND 5: Adelaide v City 5th November 8pm

n i k o

not really. We won convincing, never looked like we would lose the game, absorbed a decent amount of pressure and looked deadly on the counter. Things will get better, our kids are competing well and yes do get beaten a bit but we have a lot of experience to come back and if we get through this tough start of the season in decent shape then the second half of the season will be much improved. Wins away are vital in this league, something we have never been good at. 

In Season 1 and 2 we would ONLY win away, were shocking at home.

Granted our away form in the past few years has been pure shit.

• Like 2

not really. We won convincing, never looked like we would lose the game, absorbed a decent amount of pressure and looked deadly on the counter. Things will get better, our kids are competing well and yes do get beaten a bit but we have a lot of experience to come back and if we get through this tough start of the season in decent shape then the second half of the season will be much improved. Wins away are vital in this league, something we have never been good at. 

I guess it depends on your definition of convincingly. For me it's winning comfortably without looking shakey and conceding 2 goals in the second half.

Also I'd love to know over the last 6 years how often the phrase "things will get better" has been used only for things to stay the same. I agree there were positives in the game last night and each positive deserves attention but it's no garuntee things will get better. Until the team and coaches can show they can stand up and show they deserve to be fighting for the title I'll remain reserved with my excitement. 

• Like 1

During the game last night, I was thinking how shaky our fullbacks have been of late. 

I don't have much faith at the moment when a team is attacking down our left and even though Retre had a really solid start to the season, I think he is already tapering off.

Actually made me think of Jaliens and despite being over 60 yrs old now, how his experience would really have helped - especially as our Visa defender is actually a ghost.

Sorry need to disagree here.

The current problem is that we have lapses in shape in defence. We were very lucky they didn't score 3 easy goals in the last 30 minutes as our defence broke down and we were getting killed on the wings as we did last week and a better team would have put us away.

5 defender allow more coverage of the wing and a tighter centre and leave no space, especially with 2 defensive mids supporting. They wouldn't have had the opportunities they did with this tactic.

And with Novillo, Mooy and Bruno running the counter, the attack would be devastating if the opposition pushed too high.

We have to have better structure and tactics at the back if we are going to protect a lead against the better teams and a defensive 5 2 2 1 will do it.

This!!!!  Why are people concerned about maintaining "shape" or "structure" when they're clearly failing?  This is like saying I don't want to fix something that's broken and useless because I'm worried I'll make it worse, forgetting it's broken in the first place!  They were coming at us aggressively for the last 20-30 minutes and our defence was struggling. Clisby on and quickly obvious not providing the solution. The next thing to do is to then try something else to fix the problem. Another winger is not the answer. 

We we were lucky Adelaide were crap in finishing. It just concerns me this was a game that demanded to be locked down but we left the gate wide open. Poor management either not to tactically do it, or not to teach a team how to kill a game. 

• Like 2

This!!!!  Why are people concerned about maintaining "shape" or "structure" when they're clearly failing?  This is like saying I don't want to fix something that's broken and useless because I'm worried I'll make it worse, forgetting it's broken in the first place!  They were coming at us aggressively for the last 20-30 minutes and our defence was struggling. Clisby on and quickly obvious not providing the solution. The next thing to do is to then try something else to fix the problem. Another winger is not the answer. 

We we were lucky Adelaide were crap in finishing. It just concerns me this was a game that demanded to be locked down but we left the gate wide open. Poor management either not to tactically do it, or not to teach a team how to kill a game. 

I think bringing on Hughes instead of Zinni which is basically the crux of the issue would have created more problems. Especially as it would have allowed Goodwin to sit on the edge of our box. Yes we had a problem but for me an extra defender is not the solution. 

During the game last night, I was thinking how shaky our fullbacks have been of late. 

I don't have much faith at the moment when a team is attacking down our left and even though Retre had a really solid start to the season, I think he is already tapering off.

Actually made me think of Jaliens and despite being over 60 yrs old now, how his experience would really have helped - especially as our Visa defender is actually a ghost.

Ah, Jaliens. Most of us, including me I confess, got that signing wrong. A little short on pace but I doubt I've ever seen a player who could read the play any better than he could. Why we exchanged him for Hughes is beyond me.

Edited by jw1739

it would have allowed Goodwin to sit on the edge of our box. 

with a man marking him rather than the RB having to cover more centrally?

Anyway, parking the bus with a 5 defensive line is a tactic employed by clubs all around the world, can't see why we can't also adopt it when needed. JVS is a special breed I suppose.

My point is that when you occupy space then the attacker hasn't got it to fall into and your defence remains strong regardless of the quality of your defenders. What we have now in structure and function is no where near good enough to defend a lead against the better sides.

I think we have a side to win the whole thing this year, but we need the vision and leadership to apply the correct tactics. I recon we cant be out played this year as we have one of the best list in the A-league, but we can be out coached.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Space is a great thing when we have good pass completion, especially the first pass before play is stretched. This is also another area of deficiency that must be addressed

this is a trauma forum. If anything good happens we worry because we know we did not deserve it and the belting we are going to cop next time in order to even the score.

Q: What's the difference between an optimist and a pessimist?

A: A pessimist is an optimist that knows what is really going on.

• Like 2

I think bringing on Hughes instead of Zinni which is basically the crux of the issue would have created more problems. Especially as it would have allowed Goodwin to sit on the edge of our box. Yes we had a problem but for me an extra defender is not the solution. 

I knew you were a smart fella Jovan and agreeing with me just proves it.  (Outa likes).

Honestly this (going all out defensive) rarely works.  We had enough players to defend, but we just can't under this coach, I can't see how 1 more would of helped, would have just limited our options to giving them the ball back.  TBH under JVS the best thing to do anyway is to keep trying to score goals, as that's the easiest/only way to maintain the lead.

Now bringing on Hughes for Retre as bela suggested, that has merit, but I would have only done that as an alternative to Garuccio-Clisby.  I thought Mauk was struggling (at one point he actually stopped and watched Adelaide mount an attack) and needed to come off.

As to the game I think those who are disappointed in the criticism of some posters after "a good win" need to remember we just beat the bottom side, who were plain awful on the night.  Its 3 points and a step in the right direction, but we are well short of top 3 on that display (i thought anyway).

Thanks mate out of likes. Anyway the trend of last 2 games which I think will improve is the MMM are running out of gas. Ok Mauk was playing wider but not as pure winger and i think it worked ok and Paartalu did offer cover yet his passing was hit and miss. But this lack of midfield drive was the reason IMO why AU dominated us late. We need to bring on fresh legs through the middle. I still can't work out why Trifiro isn't in the squad. He was brought in for this precise reason. 

I watched the game when I got home last night and thought we never looked like losing it once we took the lead. I also thought we missed better chances than they missed. Of course they exerted pressure late on, but I never got the feeling we were defending in desperation as was the case against Newcastle.

We had very good performances from Mooy, Bruno and Harry as we have come and will come to expect. I will also give credit to  Paartalu who along with Melling gave us a stronger base in the middle. The biggest difference with Paartalu this game, was that he never got ahead of the ball and left that to Mooy. It was a much better defensive performance by him. It also helped that Melling was much more disciplined than against Newcastle.

Our biggest weakness was the full back positions. Although Garuccio and Retre have great energy and are very good going forward, they lack the defensive know how that comes natural to proper defenders. The fact is Garuccio is a wide midfielder and Retre a central midfielder filling in because of injuries. Although JVS can pick Richardson, who is a proper defender, but for some reason chooses not to.

I thought centrally in defence we were fine yesterday. KIsnorbo and Chapman were in the main solid. Also people are saying Sorenson was shit. I just don't agree with this. He had one fumble, but two great saves and other more solid saves. Quite simply Tando would not have done any better last night.

Oh! allegedly Williams was playing!

Of course it was against the bottom of the league, but I thought it was a good win and a more overall solid performance. 

• Like 6

agree about the bench but whilst bringing on another defender appeals, you can lose your shape and invite them on to you, by not having any options going forward.

im more worried about our defensive shape to be honest, our fullbacks are sitting too tight for one, I reckon that's why they get skinned every week.

I absolutely agree about the fullbacks. It must be the way they are coached because the fullbacks are always very very narrow and have been for a couple of years. Gives the opposition midfielders an easy pass to the wide guy who gets to build up a head of steam and run at the fullbacks. 

I watched the game when I got home last night and thought we never looked like losing it once we took the lead. I also thought we missed better chances than they missed. Of course they exerted pressure late on, but I never got the feeling we were defending in desperation as was the case against Newcastle.

We had very good performances from Mooy, Bruno and Harry as we have come and will come to expect. I will also give credit to  Paartalu who along with Melling gave us a stronger base in the middle. The biggest difference with Paartalu this game, was that he never got ahead of the ball and left that to Mooy. It was a much better defensive performance by him. It also helped that Melling was much more disciplined than against Newcastle.

Our biggest weakness was the full back positions. Although Garuccio and Retre have great energy and are very good going forward, they lack the defensive know how that comes natural to proper defenders. The fact is Garuccio is a wide midfielder and Retre a central midfielder filling in because of injuries. Although JVS can pick Richardson, who is a proper defender, but for some reason chooses not to.

I thought centrally in defence we were fine yesterday. KIsnorbo and Chapman were in the main solid. Also people are saying Sorenson was shit. I just don't agree with this. He had one fumble, but two great saves and other more solid saves. Quite simply Tando would not have done any better last night.

Oh! allegedly Williams was playing!

Of course it was against the bottom of the league, but I thought it was a good win and a more overall solid performance. 

Very well said. Agree with every point.

Perhaps this game showed that 2 defensive midfielders or "no 6s" is the way to go. With the attacking threats we've got up front, like Fornaroli, Novillo and Mooy, I don't think we need 2 attacking midfielders or "no 10s", like Mooy and Koren, or Mooy and Mauk, at the same time to make our attack effective. Better to have 2 screening midfielders to protect our defence that could use the help.

• Like 1

Clearly have not been watching this team for very long have you

Lol I have been watching long enough

I had the luck to know the result though, which helps. Watching the game back knowing the result, does take the emotion out of the game when you watch it as it happens though. This helps you be more pragmatic when analysing the game afterwards,

A mate of mine reckons I am the worst kind of bloke - neither a pessimist nor an optimist but a realist [emoji4]

Realist?

Optimistic:

Forward...... Brilliant.... Will win games

Optimistic:

Midfield...... Solid....... Dependable engine room

Pessimistic:

Defence...... Full of holes..... Has and will lose games

Pessimistic:

Manager..... Tactically weak... Easily out-coached....Has and will lose games.

Many of us actually predicted a win in this game, mainly because it was the logical result for the roller coaster that we are this season. It beats losing, that's for sure, but it's time for this team to start showing some consistency. It would be great to be able to move on from the Jets debacle, but it's pretty tough when you take a look at the ladder and note how much better we'd look right now, if we'd managed to win that game.

Like I said, it beats the hell out of losing, but I think looking at this team's performances on a month-by-month basis, rather than week-by-week, is the way to go. The only way a team is going to win this league is by consistently grinding out results and right now, with the way that our defence is leaking, a two goal lead feels like one. It would be nice to be able to relax with an early two goal lead and to be confident that we'll be able to keep the occasional clean sheet.

Edited by SF33

Lol I have been watching long enough

I had the luck to know the result though, which helps. Watching the game back knowing the result, does take the emotion out of the game when you watch it as it happens though. This helps you be more pragmatic when analysing the game afterwards,

It was a joke man, relax