Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

3 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

So we have 4 fullbacks now, all of which are definitley good enough to be starting matches in the ALeague + our captain. Could this mean Galloway might be on the move? Or perhaps we will start transitioning Jammo to more of a bench role?

Also, anyone know how many years Garrucio's deal is?

Maybe Jamo would like to spend some time with his young family (aka being released) before moving into some other role with the club.

Edit: releasing Jamo would make sense considering he is likely to be on a higher salary compared to the others (given the reduced salary cap) and the fact that we are better off playing players that actually have a future playing for the club.

Edited by malloy
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Jovan said:

Confirmed 27th January. 

Although I'm pleased we finally have a date, but during the day 2 of boxing day test isn't ideal. 

Now this is on the basic assumption we will be allowed out of our 5km prison. 

As if you actually allow yourself to be imprisoned within 5k...

Could we be looking to push one of Galloway, Garuccio or Atkinson up to a wing? They have all played there in the past with mixed results, but are all naturally attacking players, can cross, shoot and have pace. Obviously they would have to dislodge Noone or Nabbout but having two of them on the bench gives us heaps of options to change up the side. I even think both Atkinson and Galloway could be decent CM's kind of in the high energy style of Luna. 

18 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Actually yes,

I haven't been to extended family for months. 

Well said @Jovan

Since 28th March, apart from that short period in June, we haven't been outside the area defined by that 5km radius  - a good portion of which is in Port Phillip - even for the "ethnic food supplies" that we want. With no relatives in Australia we rely on our circle of friends for social activity. I'm not crying or complaining, because we have to stop the movement of the virus, and letting go too early is disastrous as every country that has tried it is in trouble, and so far all we've seen is the acute health effects and not the chronic ones. Everyone is threatened by this, and only be us all working together with a common purpose can we beat it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Well said @Jovan

Since 28th March, apart from that short period in June, we haven't been outside the area defined by that 5km radius  - a good portion of which is in Port Phillip - even for the "ethnic food supplies" that we want. With no relatives in Australia we rely on our circle of friends for social activity. I'm not crying or complaining, because we have to stop the movement of the virus, and letting go too early is disastrous as every country that has tried it is in trouble, and so far all we've seen is the acute health effects and not the chronic ones. Everyone is threatened by this, and only be us all working together with a common purpose can we beat it.

I’ve obeyed dickhead’s stupid rules too. Don’t take that to mean I agree with them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi Everyone,

First time poster, foundation member. I've always kept an eye on this forum but the reason this is my first post is that I haven't felt like I've ever had anything worthy of contributing (or perhaps fear of the dreaded red line).

I firstly wanted to thank the guys that have maintained this forum for so many years. There are a bunch of us more silent members that sit on the sides and this forum helps get through the off season. Thanks a lot!

My reason for posting (and sorry if this has been mentioned previously) is I was talking to the club about the Garrucio leak before the club announced. The announcement was actually supposed to wait until the following week but with Hearts dropping the news, it sped up the timeline. Anyway, I learned that our marque for next season is likely to be Luna as he has a backended contract much like Berenguer had this season.

I know that the club is trying to bring in someone else that we'd all be pretty excited about but the problem we have is that Victory and WU have a lot more money to throw around at the moment and have also put their hat in the ring for this player. The club is trying to be as creative as possible but can only do so much with the reduced cap if players want a more front loaded contact. That's not to say any of the Melbourne based clubs will get this guy as it's a reach for all. 

Anyway thought I'd put this out there for those that were dreaming of a Lampard now that we are in the ACL.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Missing_Moy said:

Don’t think we offered him enough $$

IIRC Macarthur get a cap concession for their first season?

Personally not worried about Susaeta. He's a player who IMO looks good when all those around him are, but isn't a stand-out without them. Looked a bit weak and timid to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tommykins said:

Graham Dorrans has just left Dundee for a move to Australia - I don't think he'd be come to us as he's another central midfielder, I'd say he's more likely to wind up at Victory, but who knows.

WSW signed him. We need a attacking midfielder that’s what we lacked last season 

Edited by CityBoyz

37 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Has club the communicated that we are done with the player roster? Do we even know how players we can have and what the cap is at now?

If it has then we've all missed it...

This article here gives a cap of $2.1m for next season. https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/pay-war-set-to-end-before-a-league-season-after-clubs-pfa-reach-agreement-20201002-p561eg.html

I've not seen anything on the number of players. According to my list we have 19 players signed to the seniors.

image.png

16 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Do we need another striker currently? Nabbout and Tilio are very tidy options if JMac isn't available. 

Totally agree. I'd be more inclined to look for a good CB or winger backup IF we have any space available to us. 

Providing Delbridge stays on, I think the most glaring gap in our squad is in central midfield. 

Brillante is such a huge loss and I'm not convinced O'Neill alone is adequate cover. An improved Metcalfe and hopefully a more consistent Berenguer will help, but if we want to knock over Sydney this season then I reckon we need one more midfielder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nate said:

Providing Delbridge stays on, I think the most glaring gap in our squad is in central midfield. 

Brillante is such a huge loss and I'm not convinced O'Neill alone is adequate cover. An improved Metcalfe and hopefully a more consistent Berenguer will help, but if we want to knock over Sydney this season then I reckon we need one more midfielder.

Delbridge isn’t training with the squad and not employed by City anymore I understood. I doubt he will return.

Personally I’m not putting my hopes on Metcalfe going forward in attack, he’s had a fair bit of game time there and I’m unsure if he will progress massively. He’s a big lanky lad, lacking the explosive creativity we crave so much. Players of his physique are better suited  as a holding or box to box midfielder - Frenkie DeJong, Rodri, Toure, Busquets.

Edited by Mr MO

9 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Delbridge isn’t training with the squad and not employed by City anymore I understood. I doubt he will return.

Personally I’m not putting my hopes on Metcalfe going forward in attack, he’s had a fair bit of game time there and I’m unsure if he will progress massively. He’s a big lanky lad, lacking the explosive creativity we crave so much. Players of his physique are better suited  as a holding or box to box midfielder - Frenkie DeJong, Rodri, Toure, Busquets.

It'll be interesting to see what they're interested in doing with the midfield because between Gomulka, O'Neill, Metcalfe, Berenguer, Griffiths and Luna we have a glut of them, but I'm not entirely sure how they fit together in a coherent team. As far as I understand it (and I could well be wrong, as I am more often than not) I'd think Gomulka is the most direct replacement for Brillante.

1 minute ago, Tommykins said:

It'll be interesting to see what they're interested in doing with the midfield because between Gomulka, O'Neill, Metcalfe, Berenguer, Griffiths and Luna we have a glut of them, but I'm not entirely sure how they fit together in a coherent team. As far as I understand it (and I could well be wrong, as I am more often than not) I'd think Gomulka is the most direct replacement for Brillante.

You might well be right, but tbh i'll be shocked if its not Luna, Berenguer and O'Neill that get first crack at it all things being equal.

45 minutes ago, bt50 said:

You might well be right, but tbh i'll be shocked if its not Luna, Berenguer and O'Neill that get first crack at it all things being equal.

Yes that’s logical looking at experience. I haven’t followed O’Neill enough, can he play further up the park?

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Yes that’s logical looking at experience. I haven’t followed O’Neill enough, can he play further up the park?

Personally i view him as bit more of an agile Metcalfe, perhaps with slightly less 'power'. Ideally suited to an 8 role perhaps but very capable in the 6 role too.
In saying that Brillante is a huge hole to fill in the 6 so he will need to step up again to make that his own.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Personally i view him as bit more of an agile Metcalfe, perhaps with slightly less 'power'. Ideally suited to an 8 role perhaps but very capable in the 6 role too.
In saying that Brillante is a huge hole to fill in the 6 so he will need to step up again to make that his own.

Yes, big shoes to fill. We have Griffiths as well who can play there.

I’m really curious to know if we are still in the market for more players, or even make the marquee status public. Club is tight lipped as per usual. 

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Yes, big shoes to fill. We have Griffiths as well who can play there.

I’m really curious to know if we are still in the market for more players, or even make the marquee status public. Club is tight lipped as per usual. 

Pessimistic as usual I still think that the whole league is in crisis.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Pessimistic as usual I still think that the whole league is in crisis.

I’m feeling okay about it, by December most will be forgotten. 

I’ve seen interesting players coming to Australia with other teams, escaping Covid riddled Europe. Looking at the recruitment of some teams, with Sydney keeping their squad together, we are top 4 but aren’t running away with it.

Edited by Mr MO

• jw1739 pinned this topic