Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

19 minutes ago, bt50 said:

When COVID hit and the cap was slashed clubs were left with two options; take the best available options on the table, or hold out in the hope the market would open up a bit again if Australia could get back on top of Corona.
We opted for the first option, which is in effect playing it safe, but we already had a GF competing squad so it was the sensible thing to do.

Some of the other clubs have got a bit lucky and theyre now able to attract these 32-35 yo spaniards etc, but people are forgetting what the clubs have lost and are being dazzled by a name. Our squad is far, far deeper than everyone elses except perhaps Macarthur and is proven. Even Sydney will drop back to the pack a bit unless they can find an adequate replacement for Le Fondre.

I'm not only confident we'll make finals, I think you can take it to the bank we'll finish top 3.

I hope im wrong. But I can see a lower finish than the top 3 due to this being PK's first season

Also arnt there extended cap and squad places for ACL? Or has than been scrapped?

Just now, Mr MO said:

Fair comment and I share your view how our squad came about.

I think the issue we are raising, have we risen the bar to say are we going to win this and play a part in the ACL!!! Is there room for a quality injection? The players list suggest only 19 players.

I don’t see ourselves as a definite GF participant again, too many flaws at the back and a little too lucky too often to my liking. Saying that with Delbridge gone and the Austrian fit this might change at the back.

Hmm i can definitely sympathise with the view for a marquee 10 to upgrade Florin or Luna, but we also saw they worked last season after the restart, and on the basis that the league will be weaker not stronger than the season just gone i can see why the club would rather opt for a safer option than to take a punt on a marquee.
I say punt because imo so much of football is the chemistry, and as good as a player like Del Piero was he ultimately didnt work in the system and they missed the finals, despite him dominating.
Certainly i dont think throwing in any mid-30s players is a guaranteed success anyway, no matter what their pedigree. i think anyone thats not that is going to be far too expensive for this league at the moment, especially in its current state of uncertainty. 

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@bt50 Hope your right there my friend. I'm with others that think we're a bit short up front. Time will tell!

So do i! I really, really dont think we're short up front, imo we've put together our best ever front three. I rate Nabbout quite a bit, although i'm aware you dont think much of him.

My major concern lies in the midfield ; it bats pretty deep but does it have the cream? I'm content with what we've got and think it will work, but i do think thats the area with the biggest question mark on it.

38 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Hmm i can definitely sympathise with the view for a marquee 10 to upgrade Florin or Luna, but we also saw they worked last season after the restart, and on the basis that the league will be weaker not stronger than the season just gone i can see why the club would rather opt for a safer option than to take a punt on a marquee.
I say punt because imo so much of football is the chemistry, and as good as a player like Del Piero was he ultimately didnt work in the system and they missed the finals, despite him dominating.
Certainly i dont think throwing in any mid-30s players is a guaranteed success anyway, no matter what their pedigree. i think anyone thats not that is going to be far too expensive for this league at the moment, especially in its current state of uncertainty. 

So do i! I really, really dont think we're short up front, imo we've put together our best ever front three. I rate Nabbout quite a bit, although i'm aware you dont think much of him.

My major concern lies in the midfield ; it bats pretty deep but does it have the cream? I'm content with what we've got and think it will work, but i do think thats the area with the biggest question mark on it.

Jury is out on Nabbout from his form from last year. You can all say victory played shit but he did as well especially remembering victory vs Adelaide in Adelaide where he was in tears after the game.  He is a confidence player more row z shots than on target last year.. 

agree we need another midfielder think Gomulka can be backup for O’Neill but we need another attacking midfielder cause we literally have nobody else if Luna or Florin go down.  Brisbane got a Japanese number 10. We were cautious in our recruitment time will tell if we did it correctly but honestly thought we would be bolder considering we are in the ACL which was be and end all for the club 

Other clubs have much tougher  midfielders with much more creativity. Completion I don’t think for Sydney except striker,  victory, Adelaide, western United, Perth have signed some good players. It’s not a certainty we will finish top 2 but if we don’t questions will be asked regarding recruitment cause we would have regressed 

Edited by CityBoyz

There are teams that have gotten worse, in the case of Wellington (Taylor, Hooper, McCowatt, Cacace), Sydney (LeFondre), Adelaide (McGree, Mileusnic, Gomulka) and Western Uniteds recruitment doesn't overly excite me either and everyones a year older. We had a nipple beat us in a Grand Final, I'm not quite ready for the panic stations yet.

The main area of the pitch that concerns me is the lack of depth at CB. Neither Windy or Good have shown that they are completely reliable with injury, and we only really have Griffiths who I don't think is a good option for CB for long periods. 

Does anyone actually know what is happening with Delbridge? Or at the very least we need another CB as cover from somewhere

Some of the names coming in are decent and on paper look to be good signings, but matches aren't played on paper. 

Visa players are hit and miss as we know all too well, so the odds a few will struggle. 

As far as we are concerned, I'm satisfied and content with our group, we have retained most of our players and all things being equal they should improve. 

My only concern is a first time senior coach.

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Jury is out on Nabbout from his form from last year. You can all say victory played shit but he did as well especially remembering victory vs Adelaide in Adelaide where he was in tears after the game.  He is a confidence player more row z shots than on target last year.. 

agree we need another midfielder think Gomulka can be backup for O’Neill but we need another attacking midfielder cause we literally have nobody else if Luna or Florin go down.  Brisbane got a Japanese number 10. We were cautious in our recruitment time will tell if we did it correctly but honestly thought we would be bolder considering we are in the ACL which was be and end all for the club 

Other clubs have much tougher  midfielders with much more creativity. Completion I don’t think for Sydney except striker,  victory, Adelaide, western United, Perth have signed some good players. It’s not a certainty we will finish top 2 but if we don’t questions will be asked regarding recruitment cause we would have regressed 

I think nabbout had a poor season by his own standards, yet he still bagged 8 goals and 3 assists in the league in 22 games. Novillo is the only player to beat that in our history from the wing.

I think Metcalfe, Griffiths and Gomulka are all adequate backups for the midfield roles personally, but my worry is do we have a real cream player. Obviously going back to my point before is that player often can be counter productive too, theres only been a few really good 10s in the leagues history that have worked in winning teams (Ninko, Castro)

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I think nabbout had a poor season by his own standards, yet he still bagged 8 goals and 3 assists in the league in 22 games. Novillo is the only player to beat that in our history from the wing.

I think Metcalfe, Griffiths and Gomulka are all adequate backups for the midfield roles personally, but my worry is do we have a real cream player. Obviously going back to my point before is that player often can be counter productive too, theres only been a few really good 10s in the leagues history that have worked in winning teams (Ninko, Castro)

Well, when @bt50 has a worry about the team we know that we have a real worry. Because he's just about the post positive bloke on here. IMO by now this scouting network and the other CFG clubs ought to have found us a good no. 10, not necessarily sensational or big name but someone who's got the skills and nous required. and has delivered the goods in a good league elsewhere.

I'd say that's a pretty general feeling around the ground.

We've produced them - Mooy and Arzani - but we haven't had the favour returned.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Well, when @bt50 has a worry about the team we know that we have a real worry. Because he's just about the post positive bloke on here. IMO by now this scouting network and the other CFG clubs ought to have found us a good no. 10, not necessarily sensational or big name but someone who's got the skills and nous required. and has delivered the goods in a good league elsewhere.

I'd say that's a pretty general feeling around the ground.

We've produced them - Mooy and Arzani - but we haven't had the favour returned.

Even margaret thatcher looked like a leftie when she sat down with the nazis... ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Our Predicted XI 

Glover 

Jamo Windbichler Good Atkinson 

Berenguer O’Neill Luna

Noone            Maclaren            Nabbout 

Subs: Sutton, Gomulka, Tilio, Garuccio, Galloway, Griffiths, Colakovski, Metcalfe, 

Our starting XI is basically last years squad with O’Neill, Nabbout coming into the XI. Would that squad win 2 ACL Qualifiers ? Thought CFG wanted to make a statement in that competition doesn’t seem like it. I’m trying to work out why we have or needed 4 full backs 

This is your starting eleven. Not 'our'. 

18 minutes ago, citymad said:

This is your starting eleven. Not 'our'. 

Show us yours? I can already say that for me Galloway will come in for the outdated Jamieson with Atkinson moving to the right.

For me with slightest sign of weakness again, no mercy for Berenguer either but I haven’t seen the new boys play.

Noone and Nabbout will also play on the opposite wings.

Edited by Mr MO

9 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Show us yours? I can already say that for me Galloway will come in for the outdated Jamieson with Atkinson moving to the right.

For me with slightest sign of weakness again, no mercy for Berenguer either but I haven’t seen the new boys play.

Noone and Nabbout will also play on the opposite wings.

I would have gone with Garuccio on the left but we all know Jamieson will get the first opportunity at LB. 

8 hours ago, Mr MO said:

But there might be role for Atkinson futher up the field!

I think its quite likely Garrucio spends as much time as a winger as he does a full back this season tbh. Natty may do the same although he is the incumbent and i expect him to play RB until his form no longer warrants it.

14 hours ago, Jovan said:

Some of the names coming in are decent and on paper look to be good signings, but matches aren't played on paper. 

Visa players are hit and miss as we know all too well, so the odds a few will struggle. 

As far as we are concerned, I'm satisfied and content with our group, we have retained most of our players and all things being equal they should improve. 

My only concern is a first time senior coach.

Hit the nail on the head. I’m very happy with the squad, but the coach’s lack of experience is the elephant in the room.

6 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Hit the nail on the head. I’m very happy with the squad, but the coach’s lack of experience is the elephant in the room.

Kisnorbo has had more experience than Corica did. When you look at the league coaches you can say Kisnorbo who has coached WLeague, YLeague, and assistant with Aleague has more experience than a lot of the new mangers this year 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Aren’t we all overplaying that part of a coach. Our whole discussion  is about the final pieces of the puzzle, the creative players or the cream as @bt50 calls it!

Such players are good enough to lift a team and shine regardless of the coach. We keep bringing up the Castro’s and the Ninkovic’s - that caliber of player will perform under any coach in this league. Berenguer, Luna, Noone and Jmac are not at that level. 

We are also overestimating ourselves looking at last year performances with many unconvincing victories, that luck won’t be always be there.

My opinion is still out that the league actually has gotten much weaker, just because some known names have gone to India.

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

We are also overestimating ourselves looking at last year performances with many unconvincing victories, that luck won’t be always be there.

Tbf Sydney has won a few titles over the last 5 years looking second best regularly. It's not luck when it pans out over the course of a season imo.

4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Tbf Sydney has won a few titles over the last 5 years looking second best regularly. It's not luck when it pans out over the course of a season imo.

Our only positive records last season were against Central Coast (two wins), Newcastle (two wins and a loss), Western United (four wins) and WSW (one win, one draw). With all the other clubs we were either all square or negative (Sydney, one win and two losses).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Our only positive records last season were against Central Coast (two wins), Newcastle (two wins and a loss), Western United (four wins) and WSW (one win, one draw). With all the other clubs we were either all square or negative (Sydney, one win and two losses).

No doubt we could have been more consistent, but i suppose at the end of the day we still finished clear 2nd and were only 6 points off of first too.
I'm probably specifically thinking of the Sydney side in 17/18. They were clear away on top and were clearly the best side looking at the table, but i also remember they were quite dull week in week out and you often finished watching their games thinking they didnt deserve to win that based on general play.
18/19 when they came second but won the toilet seat v Perth was not dissimilar. 

33 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Then we have a slight different opinion on the quality of Sydney list vs Ours over let’s say the last 4 seasons.

7 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Then we have a slight different opinion on the quality of Sydney list vs Ours over let’s say the last 4 seasons.

Im referring specifically to the appearance of how a team has played rather than the personnel in this case, but yes i would say we probably do have slightly differing views.

IMO there has been seasons where Sydney were clearly the best team in the competition on paper and on the table, but they have perhaps looked underwhelming in large stretches of games and got the result anyway. I spose the point im trying to make here is that if you repeatedly look the poorer side in general game play but continue to get the results over an extended period it doesnt mean you are lucky.

Likewise the opposite is also true. Just don't ask Aloisi.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, bt50 said:

No doubt we could have been more consistent, but i suppose at the end of the day we still finished clear 2nd and were only 6 points off of first too.
I'm probably specifically thinking of the Sydney side in 17/18. They were clear away on top and were clearly the best side looking at the table, but i also remember they were quite dull week in week out and you often finished watching their games thinking they didnt deserve to win that based on general play.
18/19 when they came second but won the toilet seat v Perth was not dissimilar. 

Yes agree they looked was flat at times, do we have legs to consistently be top 2 and play ACL? We are untried here. Our most creative player, Florin can’t even play 4 games in row per month, just saying.

Surely we can’t measure ourselves against them with  5 years of domination, because we ended second once.

I rarely make these kinds of predictions but I’ll go out on a limb and say we win the Premiership. The Championship I’m not sure but I’m confident we will be the best home and away (and home?) team and we probably make the GF again. Our XI is strong and we’ve got the depth to cover injuries. 

There’s a question mark over Kisnorbo. Ideally he’d have another season or two under Mombaerts to thoroughly learn the system but it is what it is. We will see how much he has learnt. 

14 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Im referring specifically to the appearance of how a team has played rather than the personnel in this case, but yes i would say we probably do have slightly differing views.

IMO there has been seasons where Sydney were clearly the best team in the competition on paper and on the table, but they have perhaps looked underwhelming in large stretches of games and got the result anyway. I spose the point im trying to make here is that if you repeatedly look the poorer side in general game play but continue to get the results over an extended period it doesnt mean you are lucky.

Likewise the opposite is also true. Just don't ask Aloisi.

See my post above, we do this 3 years in row than you have my vote! Top 2 with ACL that is than you have my vote!

Don’t get me wrong just think we lack that one or two real stand out players.

Edited by Mr MO

3 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

See my post above, we do this 3 years in row than you have my vote! Top 2 with ACL that is than you have vote!

Don’t get me wrong just think we lack that one or two real stand out players.

I think we are close to the same position here but perhaps you are misreading the point i'm trying to make slightly too.
I'm certainly not comparing us squad for squad over the last 5 years, and drawing any conclusions, just trying to point out per last post that teams can be great teams without 'looking good' and likewise teams can dominate possession and 'chances' and not be that good (definitely us in the JVS and Valkanis era imo - teams were happy to sit back on us til we got too many players sucked up the field then made us look stupid on the counter).

I think you can make the case that some of Sydney's great teams over the 5 years have been vastly different in makeup too. Their team in 16/17 with Mierzejewski was their best side in my opinion.

In terms of ACL im bullish we can compete well because i think we bat deeper than most A League squads and so rotation and fatigue is less of a burden on us than it is for some of the other AL clubs. Again, and it sort of comes full circle, the big question is will we have that creative player in the 10 position for games when we need a circuit breaker, and that is clearly our main point of concern against the quality opposition you'll find in the ACL or finals IMO.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Kisnorbo has had more experience than Corica did. When you look at the league coaches you can say Kisnorbo who has coached WLeague, YLeague, and assistant with Aleague has more experience than a lot of the new mangers this year 

I think you are underplaying the achievements of Corica.

58 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Most of the untried managers like Brebner, Veart, Garcia etc don’t even have their UEFA Pro license which Kisnorbo has 

Qualifications are nice, but they never take the place of experience.

Look don’t get me wrong Paddy is Mr Melbourne City and I really want him to succeed, I just think it’s a big step from what he’s done in the past.

Squad wise the question mark is O’Neill in my book. Brillante left massive shoes to fill. Is he up to it? We’ll find out soon enough.
Oh and another thing. If Nabboutt was Nabboutte with a French passport everyone would be gushing over him. Guy’s a gun.

• Like 2

Just now, Shahanga said:

I think you are underplaying the achievements of Corica.

Qualifications are nice, but they never take the place of experience.

Look don’t get me wrong Paddy is Mr Melbourne City and I really want him to succeed, I just think it’s a big step from what he’s done in the past.

Squad wise the question mark is O’Neill in my book. Brillante left massive shoes to fill. Is he up to it? We’ll find out soon enough.
Oh and another thing. If Nabboutt was Nabboutte with a French passport everyone would be gushing over him. Guy’s a gun.

100% agree with all of this.

• Thanks 1

I still think that we're all pretty much agreed. It would really boost us if we had that creative forward who is going to play every match, change the game with the one killer pass, bend in a free-kick or two, and lift the team and lift the crowd. We're a solid team, no doubt, but that's the player I think we lack.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CityBoyz said:

Western United just signed a Spanish midfielder Victor Sanchez with over 200 games for Espanyol and 300 games in LaLiga overall 

33 and barely played since January in the La Liga side that came last, but its still a pretty reasonable CV and hes coming direct from Espanyol. 
Probably fits a pretty similar profile to Benat to be fair, albeit Benat perhaps slightly better pedigree but more injury issues.

I think they'll both go well if they stay on the park, but ultimately theyre more defensive mids than CAM's or matchwinners and not where i'd personally allocate marquee funds.

Edited by bt50

13 minutes ago, bt50 said:

33 and barely played since January in the La Liga side that came last, but its still a pretty reasonable CV and hes coming direct from Espanyol. 
Probably fits a pretty similar profile to Benat to be fair, albeit Benat perhaps slightly better pedigree but more injury issues.

I think they'll both go well if they stay on the park, but ultimately theyre more defensive mids than CAM's or matchwinners and not where i'd personally allocate marquee funds.

I didn’t want him just outlining that other clubs are bringing in visa players still so no excuses. We need a attacking creative midfielder urgently. I would have made that my key signing at the start of the window and they were winger and attacking midfielder. We’ve got Nabbout which is great he will do well but we just need a bit of flair in the middle of the park. Lots of high caliber attacking midfield free agents available 

1 hour ago, CityBoyz said:

I didn’t want him just outlining that other clubs are bringing in visa players still so no excuses. We need a attacking creative midfielder urgently. I would have made that my key signing at the start of the window and they were winger and attacking midfielder. We’ve got Nabbout which is great he will do well but we just need a bit of flair in the middle of the park. Lots of high caliber attacking midfield free agents available 

Is somebody from TalkingCity close enough to the club to ask some easy questions:

- Any more signings to come?

- Who are our marquees?

- Are we looking at an Asian Player for the ACL?

Edited by Mr MO

9 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Is somebody from TalkingCity close enough to the club to ask some easy questions:

- Any more signings to come?

- Who are our marquees?

- Are we looking at an Asian Player for the ACL?

With only a few weeks to go I wouldn't think there will be any further signings. As for the other two questions, well, you know Maclaren is one marquee. Don't think you'll find out anything further - the club is always tight-lipped, whatever the subject.

9 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Aren’t we all overplaying that part of a coach. Our whole discussion  is about the final pieces of the puzzle, the creative players or the cream as @bt50 calls it!

Such players are good enough to lift a team and shine regardless of the coach. We keep bringing up the Castro’s and the Ninkovic’s - that caliber of player will perform under any coach in this league. Berenguer, Luna, Noone and Jmac are not at that level. 

My opinion is still out that the league actually has gotten much weaker, just because some known names have gone to India.

I beg to differ. One thing that I did notice when I started following football as opposed to AFL, was how much influence the coach has during the game - far more than the AFL counterpart.

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic