Melbourne Football

Melbourne City Fan Representative Group

Torn Asunder

10 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

The franchise has a different responsibility to us as customers compared to shareholders/owners

Which specific responsibility in the way that memberships work between the two competitions dictates how AFL clubs provide news about injuries, and how ALeague clubs provide news about injuries? 

As far as I'm concerned its just one competition having much much more interest in the other, and it having experts speculating on injuries a lot more which requires AFL clubs to be more upfront. 

13 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Which specific responsibility in the way that memberships work between the two competitions dictates how AFL clubs provide news about injuries, and how ALeague clubs provide news about injuries? 

As far as I'm concerned its just one competition having much much more interest in the other, and it having experts speculating on injuries a lot more which requires AFL clubs to be more upfront. 

Clubs are (supposed ) to be run by and for the benefit of members. members can usually nominate for a position on the club Board. Franchises are responsible to their owners/shareholders and to the franchisee, they have a customer relationship with us. We are fans but neither own the club or can ever have a direct say in the running of the franchise or the governance of the franchise. There is no stated or implied requirement to release information to us other than it being prudent to give us enough information to keep us interested and engaged.

52 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let everyone know that due to time / family commitments I have resigned from the FRG.

Over the years, there has been a lot of work involved with the group; setting it up and trying to make it useful to fans, and I leave happy in the knowledge that the FRG is a genuine platform for fans to engage with the club.  I have particularly enjoyed representing people on this forum and I know for a fact that things raised on these very pages have definitely influenced the club over the years.  Probably the highlight was being across the CFG purchase and meeting Simon Pearce.  I left that meeting knowing that the club was on the right path, and this continues to be the case.

Also, now Murphy is on the group, I can step off with confidence, knowing that he is absolutely capable of representing this forum (I wasn't going to leave until I knew the forum would continue to be represented).

Onward and upwards!

Thanks for your efforts Torn

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Clubs are (supposed ) to be run by and for the benefit of members. members can usually nominate for a position on the club Board. Franchises are responsible to their owners/shareholders and to the franchisee, they have a customer relationship with us. We are fans but neither own the club or can ever have a direct say in the running of the franchise or the governance of the franchise. There is no stated or implied requirement to release information to us other than it being prudent to give us enough information to keep us interested and engaged.

I hear what you're saying but I don't think thats the main reason why injury reports aren't so transparent. 

1 hour ago, Torn Asunder said:

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let everyone know that due to time / family commitments I have resigned from the FRG.

Over the years, there has been a lot of work involved with the group; setting it up and trying to make it useful to fans, and I leave happy in the knowledge that the FRG is a genuine platform for fans to engage with the club.  I have particularly enjoyed representing people on this forum and I know for a fact that things raised on these very pages have definitely influenced the club over the years.  Probably the highlight was being across the CFG purchase and meeting Simon Pearce.  I left that meeting knowing that the club was on the right path, and this continues to be the case.

Also, now Murphy is on the group, I can step off with confidence, knowing that he is absolutely capable of representing this forum (I wasn't going to leave until I knew the forum would continue to be represented).

Onward and upwards!

Thank you for your effort. Always looked forward to hearing from the FRG and that boils down to what you did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Also at home, especially when we've had a good win, go round the ground to acknowledge all the supporters and not just the southern end and those sitting near the tunnel.

Agree wholeheartedly. Sometimes the players are really good with this, but recently I've noticed it dropping off a little bit (I wasn't there on Sunday, admittedly). It gives supporters that are my age a bit of a buzz when the players let me know that they appreciate me being there, let alone kids that are a third of my age. If Tuna, or Kisnorbo, or Sorensen, or Mooy took a photo with a kid, shook his or her hand, or gave them a high five, that's one more kid that will be nagging their parents to take them to the next home game. It's simple stuff and it probably comes back to how important wins are.

It's why I really like the four mascots, as much as they look a bit silly. The kids love them and with four of them, they can spend four times as much time engaging with our young supporters.

3 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

Hey guys,

Onward and upwards!

Huge thanks for all the work you've put in to make the FRG a useful channel of communication between club and supporters. Great work in particular getting the minutes out to supporters, and fielding questions for the FRG.

I hope we can ably continue on the good work.

• Like 2

1. @Murfy1 could you ask the club about "coach the coach" - I thought it was a great initiative and I'm not ashamed to say I learnt more listen to JVS in 1 hour than I had on 4 different coaching courses. It seems to have sunk without a trace and I for one think that's a pity.

2. I would like to join the thanks to @Torn Asunder for his continued work on the FRG. At times I'm not sure how he did it, when the minutes that came out would be non-stop marketing buzzwords and other bullshit, but that commitment to hang in there and make sure we had even a small voice talking to the club was very much appreciated. I owe you a beer (or 2). 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

Wonder how many times we've had a disgraceful result straight after a FRG meeting, would make it so much better if it was the week before

There should be only one item on the agenda at the next meeting. Forget all the peripheral crap and simply keep saying how pissed off City supporters are with the same performances every season. Isn't it time to show some anger and frustration?

• Like 4

On 2/26/2016 at 9:47 PM, jw1739 said:

There should be only one item on the agenda at the next meeting. Forget all the peripheral crap and simply keep saying how pissed off City supporters are with the same performances every season. Isn't it time to show some anger and frustration?

YES YES and YES> the situation is bloody disgraceful.

18 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

To quote her summary:

"As I stated at the start, the fan engagement equation is by no means simple, but there are straight forward, easy steps that take very little effort and time that all sporting clubs should aim to get right one hundred percent of the time. Say thank you, be innovative, make fans feel special, give fans a voice, listen and acknowledge their ideas, implement their good ideas, respond to their complaints, surprise and delight fans, reward loyal fans and look after your first time fans."

How are we doing on these things?

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

To quote her summary:

"As I stated at the start, the fan engagement equation is by no means simple, but there are straight forward, easy steps that take very little effort and time that all sporting clubs should aim to get right one hundred percent of the time. Say thank you, be innovative, make fans feel special, give fans a voice, listen and acknowledge their ideas, implement their good ideas, respond to their complaints, surprise and delight fans, reward loyal fans and look after your first time fans."

How are we doing on these things?

How about 'communication'? That is often the big criticism fans have with the club. e.g. direction of club colours, player injuries, Villa, marque/guest players. They have been getting better at this but still a way to go.

She has no control over the on-field performance unfortunately. I think that City Voice is doing a reasonable job of giving fas a voice and acknowledging ideas, but communication around things like injuries is still poor. As an idiot foundation fan I must say that I don't feel special, we are all idiots in this together, but I've had no acknowledgement from the franchise. Free 'bring a friend' tickets are academic when I can't convince any pf my friends to come again. The one time we complained to the match day membership desk about the literally 'worst in house' derby tickets allocated to us by ticket we were efficiently looked after and given replacement active tickets. After 5 seasons we remain GA ticket holders because the ticket price is still premium compared to the lottery of match day performances we are dished up.

• Like 2

Broadly speaking I'd say Freedman has it right. Sausages and free wi-fi etc. are nice-to-haves that enhance the matchday experience, but the fundamental thing is what happens on the field. However, I'll probably surprise some by saying that she IMO overplays the importance of winning silverware - IMO every football fan knows that his/her team can't win the competition every season - but (and perhaps diplomatically) underplays the importance of how the club's attitude to winning comes across to fans. IMO they want to feel that the club hierarchy places a high priority on winning the next match (not just "making finals") and to anticipate when they go to a match that they're going to see their team put everything into it - i.e. play for the shirt - for 95 minutes, and even when they are behind on the scoreboard actually look like they're still capable of winning and motivated to do so. All too often with Heart and now City we can be leading with a few minutes to go but still look capable of losing. IMO this attitude issue also permeates our media releases and interviews - the required urgency to win just doesn't come though.

So for me this is the biggest challenge facing us and the biggest change that must happen with our club before we can grow.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 4

Jw1739 - really like your posts as they usually mirror my sentiments (usually). What you say is spot on. I want to go along expecting to be part of a club in its full sense where we are one together in enjoying the game, having a great match day experience but, above all, everyone, fans and players, put in. This is not happening at the moment. Despite the quote, "winning isn't everything...... " , there are also other things that make the match day good and the club a family.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Broadly speaking I'd say Freedman has it right. Sausages and free wi-fi etc. are nice-to-haves that enhance the matchday experience, but the fundamental thing is what happens on the field. However, I'll probably surprise some by saying that she IMO overplays the importance of winning silverware - IMO every football fan knows that his/her team can't win the competition every season - but (and perhaps diplomatically) underplays the importance of how the club's attitude to winning comes across to fans. IMO they want to feel that the club hierarchy places a high priority on winning the next match (not just "making finals") and to anticipate when they go to a match that they're going to see their team put everything into it - i.e. play for the shirt - for 95 minutes, and even when they are behind on the scoreboard actually look like they're still capable of winning and motivated to do so. All too often with Heart and now City we can be leading with a few minutes to go but still look capable of losing. IMO this attitude issue also permeates our media releases and interviews - the required urgency to win just doesn't come though.

So for me this is the biggest challenge facing us and the biggest change that must happen with our club before we can grow.

Generally agree, but I don't think the fear of losing thing that happens in the last ten minutes is necessarily an attitude thing. Psychological for sure, but not necessarily reflective of a poor attitude.

I tend to think that its more reflective of confidence.

Edited by bt50

pretty pissed off with the club's email today, title :Ticket Details, melbourne city v sydney fc
thinking we as members might actually get an upgraded seat for free like the one that happened once with heart only for it to remind you we play on sat and that we can buy tickets? Really? Wouldn't of thought we could buy extra tickets when there's only about 16,000 spare seats in the stadium.
Could at least offer a discount code (5% chinese new year offer is a joke) or a bring a friend for free game which constantly gets mentioned. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

pretty pissed off with the club's email today, title :Ticket Details, melbourne city v sydney fc
thinking we as members might actually get an upgraded seat for free like the one that happened once with heart only for it to remind you we play on sat and that we can buy tickets? Really? Wouldn't of thought we could buy extra tickets when there's only about 16,000 spare seats in the stadium.
Could at least offer a discount code (5% chinese new year offer is a joke) or a bring a friend for free game which constantly gets mentioned. 

Agree!
Thanks for the 'special invite'. We aren't idiots we are all aware we can buy extra tickets.

22 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

I couldn't see the point of the e-mail. Being naive or stupid, or both, I assumed they'd sent out the message prematurely and without including the special code or whatever was needed for an upgrade or discount. But seems not.

50 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

My trouble is having invited all my friends at least once, I can't persuade any of them to come again.

Same issue but I have a spare membership that the Mrs rarely uses and can't seem to convince anyone to come at times, mind you the thinking of non football people about football is ridiculous, won't even give the sport a chance and the turn the nose up at it. Had one guy say to me as I was walking past him in the pub that "it's football season mate not wogball" was a little shocked actually.

My daughter mislaid her season ticket and so asked for a replacement entry ticket from the membership desk. She was told that from next season this will cost $5.

Not only is this ridiculous when we really aren't in a position to be turning away fans but we are owned by the world's richest football group - $5 FFS!:wub:

• Like 4

• jw1739 pinned this topic
  • jw1739 unpinned this topic