Melbourne Football

We signed Scotty j

kingofhearts

There's very few left backs out there that have the whole package. Of the 10 left backs in the league I'd say he's about 4th top on that list. So he's definitely solid and doesn't usually have trouble with his defensive duties. It's always been his attacking duties that he's been quite poor in. But I think we can build a championship winning team with him in the squad. Unless we can nail a top left back I'm more than happy with him staying and doing what he's doing. 

• Like 4

Zullo > Davidson  > Cacace seem to be the 3 best left backs. Then you've got the likes of Jamo, Galloway, Clisby, Vujica, O'Toole and co who are all on the same level, some attack better, some defend better. Then utter trash like Corey Brown. I'd imagine Jamo would be in the top 3 highest paid left backs in the league, so I expect more out of him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Zullo > Davidson  > Cacace seem to be the 3 best left backs. Then you've got the likes of Jamo, Galloway, Clisby, Vujica, O'Toole and co who are all on the same level, some attack better, some defend better. Then utter trash like Corey Brown. I'd imagine Jamo would be in the top 3 highest paid left backs in the league, so I expect more out of him.

Don’t disagree but a recall a number of posters on here bagging Zullo no end when he was on our books. 

As someone else said Jammo normally defends well but his attack is not consistent (at times good, at times atrocious) & of course everyone remembers his last game, which in my view was his worst for the year.

As to our side being more balanced because Malik has left, that depends on whether he’s replaced and by whom. No guarantees in January.

57 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Don’t disagree but a recall a number of posters on here bagging Zullo no end when he was on our books. 

As someone else said Jammo normally defends well but his attack is not consistent (at times good, at times atrocious) & of course everyone remembers his last game, which in my view was his worst for the year.

As to our side being more balanced because Malik has left, that depends on whether he’s replaced and by whom. No guarantees in January.

Surely you must be talking about another forum - we don't bag people here. Our moderators wouldn't allow it.

• Haha 1

Jamo wears his heart on his sleeve, can be frustrating at times, and makes the odd bad mistake, but he is also good for at least 1 goal creating moment per game. Plus he makes an alright captain. He also goes out of his way to give time to supporters.

At the Perth game, after the game he told my kids that their support was really important to the team and said if they come to the next game, he’d have a gift for them. 

After the WSW game, he sought them out and gave them a signed ball.

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 5

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 03/03/2018 at 10:28 PM, n i k o said:

This guy has slipped well under the radar and has been one of our shittest performers. He has been utterly useless this whole season. Was caught not concentrating last week against Perth where we copped a goal, he lost his man last night at the back post. He's shocking going forward and has stifled so much forward momentum during games. Even last night in the dying minute instead if whipping in a cross with his left from the wing he stops and crosses it with his right, allowing the tards defense to man up our attackers. Shocking performances on a consistent basis. If there's a young player that can play there he needs to be dropped. 

Bumping this topic right up again. Funny enough my post above came after a derby loss as well. Here's Bozzas thoughts...

He was particularly critical of City captain Scott Jamieson, who engaged in a heated confrontation with some Victory rivals – but largely failed to have an impact while the ball was in play.

Bosnich told Fox Sports “When things aren’t going well (you need) to show leadership. (City coach Mombaerts) obviously told them in the halftime to be more aggressive.

“But this type of business, that pushing around and all that – for me that’s just petulant and it really is pathetic.

“It doesn’t show the character of the side, nor the individual Scott Jamieson involved, and more importantly the club.”

“When I talk about aggression and what I said about brave, in football that can mean many things. Aggressive in the way that you want to receive the ball in difficult situations. You want to take on a player. You want to outrun your opponent.

“I don’t mean silly physicality things like that. You don’t need to be like that.”

But the biggest worry for Bozza over the City performance was their lack of leadership and intensity.

“Once again, in a big game (they’ve collapsed). It’s disappointing and this is now getting concerning.

“We’ve seen it before (in) the FFA Cup final (when they lost 4-0). That was really concerning for me as well.

“The bottom line is, when the heat is on, it’s a big derby – the other team are hustling and bustling – that’s when you need your leaders.

“I would say to Scott Jamieson ‘that’s when I need you to go “everyone calm down, give me the ball. I want the ball.”’

“From minute one, or when you concede that goal.

“Harrison Delbridge, all these players – Joshua Brillante, Connor Metcalfe. It took them all too long to start. They just were not at the races.”

City coach Erick Mombaerts said he was ‘very disappointed’ at the performance.

“It wasn’t a good performance. We started without mental intensity, we lost too many duels, it was impossible.

“I’m very disappointed about our performance we made some big mistakes,” Mombaerts said.

“A game, it’s a duel and Victory in this they won the challenge. We know that in our style, as we press high, as we want to be higher, we can fail on this and we failed on the duel.

“In our style, we need to win duels.

“In the second half it was better, our aggressiveness was higher.”

But, as Bosnich said, it came too late.

• Like 1

My biggest issue with Jamieson is he’s more interested in starting fights than helping us win matches. It’s always been his problem. If you’re that way inclined then you better be a good player to back it all up, but sadly he isn’t. He’s just an ordinary footballer. And it makes his little fake tough guy bullshit look comical. Sadly he won’t be dropped.

• Like 2

I just went back and read the first page and surprising how back then people were glad that we had someone with a bit of mongrel, that given the dearth of Australian left backs how h is as good as it gets, etc. This perplexes me. Either the rest of the tam has improved and he has not being able to keep up with the team; the A-League has improved and he is one of the reasons why the club has not been able to keep up with the team; the new structure dos not suit his skills and style of play and therefore the team is is let down.

26 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I just went back and read the first page and surprising how back then people were glad that we had someone with a bit of mongrel, that given the dearth of Australian left backs how h is as good as it gets, etc. This perplexes me. Either the rest of the tam has improved and he has not being able to keep up with the team; the A-League has improved and he is one of the reasons why the club has not been able to keep up with the team; the new structure dos not suit his skills and style of play and therefore the team is is let down.

He was also poor under the Joyce structure, delivered one cross against Victory and his lame effort cost us the final series against Adelaide. So to me it’s not the structure. I’ve not paid attention to him prior to joining city, but I’ve always considered him a poor baller player in passing and control (kind of important in this sport).

54 minutes ago, neio said:

Galloway to the left, Atkinson to play RB

Wouldn't mind that. But it means playing more and more youth. Not that I object to that, but then we have to start questioning our recruitment again because we have to pay a minimum % of the cap and that means some older players are being paid far more than they should be just to reach that minimum. All this is what Petrillo is supposed to be managing.

13 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Who is the youth team LB?

Karlic, whose just had a shocking run with injury up until this year, played a few games in the pre-season, has been in and out of the youth squad this year (again, I think because of injuries). 

Alec Mills and even Mitchell Graham have deputised out there from time to time, but in reality both aren't super natural at that spot.

11 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Karlic, whose just had a shocking run with injury up until this year, played a few games in the pre-season, has been in and out of the youth squad this year (again, I think because of injuries). 

Alec Mills and even Mitchell Graham have deputised out there from time to time, but in reality both aren't super natural at that spot.

...then we are in trouble in this position

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

...then we are in trouble in this position

This insistence on the "City way" is a big part of our problem IMO. It's a "square peg-round hole" situation. We'll never win anything unless we're prepared to adapt our style to the players we've actually got and the situations that we find ourselves in during matches.

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

This insistence on the "City way" is a big part of our problem IMO. It's a "square peg-round hole" situation. We'll never win anything unless we're prepared to adapt our style to the players we've actually got and the situations that we find ourselves in during matches.

We won’t be a powerhouse until we take visa and marquee players serious, and yes those cost money. It’s only 5 spots and the rest can still be complemented with talented youth players.