Melbourne Football

Season 23/24 - Round 3 -Melbourne vs Sydney Friday 3rd Nov - 7:45pm

IssySG

Im wondering which set of supporters should be most worried about the game and tbh I think its them. Besides the Australia Cup theyve shown nothing to make them a threat. However we are champions playing at home coming off a huge loss with a new coach to impress and we're desperate to win. Yeh I'd rather be us. 

4 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I will be surprised if we turn this around.

Traditionally we have struggled with containing their technical players like Burges, Caceras and Lolley - then recently Wood also seems run away with ease from our CBs. Sydney just haven’t always put them away.

I have no idea what will happen. I have seen every home match this season so far (ACL, League and Cup) and right from the 37-second mark against Oakleigh when Good conceded a goal with lazy play it is clear to me that the 6-0 thrashing last week was not an isolated incident.

IMO Vidmar has a real challenge on his hands to change a collective mindset. Even if we win tonight it might just be a dead-cat bounce. Conventional wisdom says "one match at a time" and never has it been truer than now for City.

Vidmar has a big task ahead of him. Dreadful match. So much low-percentage football from City and Sydney no better - in fact two goals worse is the measure of the difference between two low-quality squads. I'm now not surprised that Rado went to Petrillo and said that he was struggling with the squad. He may not be the best coach in the world but he didn't have much to work with really. The attendance reflects what the fans think of what they have to sit through.

The three points are welcome but IMO it's going to be very much one match at a time. The high press and high % possession may be features of the "City way" but telegraphed passes, players consistently turning backwards, and lack of movement and pace are not. Good's miss was awful.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Vidmar has a big task ahead of him. Dreadful match. So much low-percentage football from City and Sydney no better - in fact two goals worse is the measure of the difference between two low-quality squads. I'm now not surprised that Rado went to Petrillo and said that he was struggling with the squad. He may not be the best coach in the world but he didn't have much to work with really. The attendance reflects what the fans think of what they have to sit through.

The three points are welcome but IMO it's going to be very much one match at a time. The high press and high % possession may be features of the "City way" but telegraphed passes, players consistently turning backwards, and lack of movement and pace are not. Good's miss was awful.

I honestly don't know why you bother posting the rubbish you do now JW.

Sadly the once insightful and fair commentary you were so well regarded for has long departed this forum, replaced with this continual whinging to the point i have to question if you actually watch any of the games anymore.

It's suffocating reading your posts and I'd bet a huge reason why there's only about 10 people left on this forum.

Sorry, had to say it, but calling that match dreadful is just pure crap.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, rass said:

Sadly the once insightful and fair commentary you were so well regarded for has long departed this forum, replaced with this continual whinging to the point i have to question if you actually watch any of the games anymore.

It's suffocating reading your posts and I'd bet a huge reason why there's only about 10 people left on this forum.

I’m all for criticism and debating other people’s opinion.

Please tell us from a football perspective why this match doesn’t deserve any criticism?

I’ll go first.

I’m glad we got the win and we needed it. Sydney’s press was poor and they didn’t follow through with it on key positions which was welcome. Sahki much improved as Caceras couldn’t muscle him of the ball. We look to play more direct going forward, the 2-0 was good example. Reis was switched on despite missing target on some long balls. Lolley off target practice helps us. Would have won 3 or 4 if Talbot and JMAC can bring better field play and can cause less turn overs with ball on feet. Jakolis less wasteful with some good moves. Arslan with a broken toe still deserved a start. Young’s footwork doesn’t suit us. Lopane showed he’s a midfield player not a winger. Natel on right is better than on the left, he’s got football smarts.

Edited by Mr MO

I actually enjoyed that game. Was not able to sit through the previous two matches but there were flashes of premier's football in there. Yes, Good should have put that shot away but there is a reason why he is a defender. IIRC all of Good's goals have come from corners and are usually headers - not from open play. It was Behich who should have nailed it as he scores from open play. Talbot really needs to spend some time on the bench - at least 30 minutes per match.

Sydney? well they have two problem players Lolley and Mack. Both good enough to earn a pay packet but not good enough to win a game. They were more desperate and hungrier and dangerous when they brought in their younger squad. I am quite sure that two or three of their youngsters would be much better players if they were at AU or CCM.

After that embarrassment in Adelaide all we had to do was not lose. Now that is easier said than done, particularly playing an equally desperate side chasing the same result in Sydney. The fact we won 2-0 given we have shipped 10 goals in the past 3 games against A-League opponents is a good start. 

4 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I’m all for criticism and debating other people’s opinion.

Please tell us from a football perspective why this match doesn’t deserve any criticism?

I’ll go first.

I’m glad we got the win and we needed it. Sydney’s press was poor and they didn’t follow through with it on key positions which was welcome. Sahki much improved as Caceras couldn’t muscle him of the ball. We look to play more direct going forward, the 2-0 was good example. Reis was switched on despite missing target on some long balls. Lolley off target practice helps us. Would have won 3 or 4 if Talbot and JMAC can bring better field play and can cause less turn overs with ball on feet. Jakolis less wasteful with some good moves. Arslan with a broken toe still deserved a start. Young’s footwork doesn’t suit us. Lopane showed he’s a midfield player not a winger. Natel on right is better than on the left, he’s got football smarts.

Hang on, where did i say the game doesn't deserve criticism? 

If you're looking for me to debate you, I won't as i agree with most of your assessment.

My rant came from a deep disappointment from seeing the same negative commentary time and time again from the one poster. I'm not asking for every single comment to be all rosy, but f me all i get when i jump on here is the same, clouded, depressing commentary.

Seriously if i want to feel down, I'd just watch the news instead.

8 hours ago, rass said:

@rass I was actually there and if you read previous posts you'll find that I have been at every home match so far, including those at Oakleigh. I have rarely missed a match since foundation.

A Forum is for expressing opinions. Other posters commented "shocking match" and "one of the worst I've seen." Clearly opinion is divided.

If you would like to call a vote on the matter I shall be quite happy to step down from the Forum if that is the outcome of the vote.

1 hour ago, rass said:

Hang on, where did i say the game doesn't deserve criticism? 

If you're looking for me to debate you, I won't as i agree with most of your assessment.

My rant came from a deep disappointment from seeing the same negative commentary time and time again from the one poster. I'm not asking for every single comment to be all rosy, but f me all i get when i jump on here is the same, clouded, depressing commentary.

Seriously if i want to feel down, I'd just watch the news instead.

You are doing it again.

I just meant I’m looking forward to reading peoples comments how they perceived the game. If you don’t agree with somebody that’s fine but at least give your own view.

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

After that embarrassment in Adelaide all we had to do was not lose. Now that is easier said than done, particularly playing an equally desperate side chasing the same result in Sydney. The fact we won 2-0 given we have shipped 10 goals in the past 3 games against A-League opponents is a good start. 

Exactly, this was very needed and I don’t really care how. 

Looking forward to next couple of games to see if he’ll make any noticeable adjustments.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

You are doing it again.

I just meant I’m looking forward to reading peoples comments how they perceived the game. If you don’t agree with somebody that’s fine but at least give your own view.

So why didn't you say that instead of putting your words in my mouth?