Melbourne Football

The Manager and Assistant Coaches Thread

Tesla

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

My thoughts have always been like this too until recently. And it is exactly the bolded line that is the problem. It is Munn or Marwood directly responsible for us having Joyce and it is their inability to choose the correct manager. This is now 2 managers selected that have ultimately failed. If you can't choose the correct manager with the resources we have then you have to stand accountable. With a 0% success rate can we be certain that our third manager will be any different to the ones we have been appointed so far? To be frank I'm tired of being optimistic and am confident that we will see yet another failed manager selection. Because the people in charge of that process are proven to be incapable of getting it right. 

Petrillo is a tough one because it all depends on the recruitment process. Maybe he gives Joyce 5 players for a position to choose from and Joyce has fucked that up. Maybe he has more of a say or has simply given Joyce average choice of players to choose from. Either way my only thought on our recruitment is it has been average this season. And his job should definitely be in question. 

With your last sentence, that's not how a hierarchical structure works. It starts from top management selecting people below them who then select players  to get the job done. If you fuck up the selection of the manager then your player recruitment is mirroring the vision of the average manager you've selected. 

I respectfully disagree with @Jovan too. As you say, it's all about line responsibility. I will concede that I don't know the precise management structure, but my understanding is that Petrillo is Head of Football Operations or whatever the current title is, and I think "Talent Management" comes into his title or it did at one time. He most certainly has a role in what and who we see on the pitch. Munn is CEO, and even if he is not directly concerned with football management, at least indirectly he is simply by being CEO, and he's certainly overseeing HR, memberships, PR etc. The PR coming out about "skin folds" was a disaster as far as I'm concerned, and there are more things than just the football involved in this present situation - I cannot agree with the statement that everything off-field is in "great shape." IIRC it was Munn and Petrillo who went to Manchester in the off-season to discuss recruitment , IMO further evidence that he certainly has some role in the actual football. Marwood is definitely involved, certainly with marquee players, and it required Marwood coming to Australia to finally sever the link with Cahill.

• Like 1

Honestly I'd take Kisnorbo as a caretaker coach. If Joyce leaves before the season ends (doubt it though), the last thing we would want is a rushed appoitment where some 'has-been' coach who has been out of a job gets signed to a mult-year contract.

IMO we try out Kisnorbo until the end of the season. If he's decent, give him a one year contract with perforance clauses for a 2nd year. If he is a dud, then we can use the off season to find a real coach.

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

Pretty simple reason why I no longer have a membership and didn't renew from last season.

They will keep this manager in place because they believe we need a cultural shift.

But if they really wanted that shift in culture they would've showed some balls and made Popa manager in the off season.

So I will no longer support the current set up under Munn, Petrillo and Joyce. 

One would think that with all the contacts the CFG have we could find a quality coach. Good idea would be to start to understand how football and life in general has changed. We no longer can live in the stone ages and appoint a coach with that mind set. One that shows respect first, hard but fair, understands the landscape and doesnt try and reinvent the wheel when it comes to players and their personalities. Tactical and technical qualities the relates to the modern game. FFS just give us someone that we can see some of these qualities at least. 

29 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Competency is the issue and not the mindset.

What Joyce is doing is stupid and incompetent, not old style hard nut coaching.

Remember Ranieri?

He's just trying to be like Sir Alex, but has forgotten the bit about playing good football and gaining the respect of his players...

6 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

No offence to Poms as people, but why the faq did we get some old Skool Pom to manage a team in the a league desperate for success? 

It's not about his nationality, it's about his coaching style, team playing style and tactics. I don't care which country he comes from or who he is. I'd support Mr Hankey if he was the right coach for us

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well Joyce certainly is not the right coach for us, he continually has an upset with one player or another why we don't know . Maybe his jokes don't appeal to some or maybe they might have been laughing when they should'nt but whatever it is Joyce is acting like the school bully. he needs to grow up and be a real man.

i am sorry for this but i am so f**king fed up to the back teeth with the whole shitload.

After this week i will be making a decision whether to cancel our membership or not we are so down at the moment.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

Well Joyce certainly is not the right coach for us, he continually has an upset with one player or another why we don't know . Maybe his jokes don't appeal to some or maybe they might have been laughing when they should'nt but whatever it is Joyce is acting like the school bully. he needs to grow up and be a real man.

i am sorry for this but i am so f**king fed up to the back teeth with the whole shitload.

After this week i will be making a decision whether to cancel our membership or not we are so down at the moment.

Remember my friend: if we win, we win, if we lose, we lose. Take that advise from a foundation member.

12 hours ago, johnno cpfc said:

Im not sure if i mentioned it on here Johnno but i actually got in touch with memberships and told them to cancel the auto renewel for next season, actually thinking that maybe ditching the memberships and just buying a ticket if i want to go. Would be a lot cheaper that buying a membership and not going to games because the manager is rubbish.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Im not sure if i mentioned it on here Johnno but i actually got in touch with memberships and told them to cancel the auto renewel for next season, actually thinking that maybe ditching the memberships and just buying a ticket if i want to go. Would be a lot cheaper that buying a membership and not going to games because the manager is rubbish.

I'm not going to "opt out" for us yet, but it's certainly something I will consider as the season progresses. Memberships are released so early, well before full details of the season ahead are known, so I've been thinking about it irrespective of the club's recent behaviour. 

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not going to "opt out" for us yet, but it's certainly something I will consider as the season progresses. Memberships are released so early, well before full details of the season ahead are known, so I've been thinking about it irrespective of the club's recent behaviour. 

I have also thought about either stopping the automatic roll over or cancelling completely.  On checking the conditions of membership it seems that, if you are on the monthly instalment option, you can cancel without penalty after paying 5 installments.  If, like me, you are on the automatic rollover you would already have paid 6 installments.  Seriously considering this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Rumour is the new Sydney team are after Milicic.

Groucho and the lads at Bundoora need to get their shit together and sign him so that WJ can go back to being a janitor somewhere 

No chance getting Ante as the director involved at the new sydney team is also president of sydney united 

18 minutes ago, citymad said:

http://www.football-oranje.com/pec-zwolle-sack-van-t-schip-after-cup-embarrasment/

Van schip Sacked from Zwolle. Do we now get Bouzanis back and genreau?

Depends on the next manager I suppose - and the details of the loan agreements - and the salary cap!

Wonder whether Valkanis has also gone along with JvS - he doesn't get a mention in any of the news translations I've read.

Edited by jw1739

• 2 weeks later...

You all know you want him back. Don't hide it  :)

Brisbane Roar have confirmed coach John Aloisi has quit his post as head coach of the Hyundai A-League club.

“For the past three and a half years, I have given every minute of my life to make the Brisbane Roar a success," Aloisi said in a statement released by the club on Friday.

“Upon reflection of the current situation, I have made the difficult decision to stand down effective immediately as I believe this is in the best interest of the playing group and football club.

“Everybody knows the challenges of the past few years and I’m proud to have made the finals each season, qualified for Asia and have gone within a point of winning the Premiers Plate amid all of that.

“I cannot thank the players and football department enough for their support during all of the obstacles we have collectively faced and wish everybody connected to the club – the owners, the players, the fans and the staff – the absolute best for the balance of the season and beyond.”

More to come