Melbourne Football

The Manager and Assistant Coaches Thread

Tesla

50 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Hangon. They've just appointed 3 not 1 assistants. If a new guy was coming in he would definitely bring in his own/new assistants.

AntiScum from now on you'll be known as Anticlimax.

What at absolute joke.

Thats your opinion and everyone is entitled to there opinion :)

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Hangon. They've just appointed 3 not 1 assistants. If a new guy was coming in he would definitely bring in his own/new assistants.

AntiScum from now on you'll be known as Anticlimax.

What at absolute joke.

The new guy is Voltronn the other 3 will combine to form him.

Melbourne City FC Head of Talent Management Michael Petrillo commented; "We went through a lengthy process to find the right candidates to help fulfil the Club's ambitions to challenge for the 2016/17 A-League title and to build a platform for future honours

Really?????? Lets be honest now.......you put in some cheap stop gaps until JVS is gone and gombau is appointed in which case is good that you got his old assistant to come over. 

30 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Hang on, Valkanis was assistant to both Gombau and Amor, I think he is a great choice for assistant and probably future head coach if he progresses well.

Good signing tbh.

Also Kosmina. If he becomes our senior coach then this club is a complete bunch of numpties. 

Just now, Jovan said:

Also Kosmina. If he becomes our senior coach then this club is a complete bunch of numpties. 

So getting an assistant that served under arguably the best 2 coaches in the A league is a negative right?

Well I don't know of a better local assistant they could have targeted. They did well, especially if he brings some of the Gombau and Amor knowledge, culture and tactics over to us.

Just disappointed. Firstly no change in the main position and secondly was hoping for a epl experienced assistant. 

This offseason has been the worst so far by a mile. Still heaps to endure but at this point in time I'm not feeling very optimistic. 

18 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Just disappointed. Firstly no change in the main position and secondly was hoping for a epl experienced assistant. 

What's so good about the EPL, both coaches that Valkanis served under have good Spanish (Barcelona) academy qualifications and development experience.

1 minute ago, playmaker said:

What's so good about the EPL, both coaches that Valkanis served under have good Spanish (Barcelona) academy qualifications and development experience.

But really how much influence can assistant have. It's the senior coach that ultimately determines how good an assistant will be.

11 minutes ago, Jovan said:

But really how much influence can assistant have. It's the senior coach that ultimately determines how good an assistant will be.

More often than not the assistant coach has a bigger influence during training sessions and the manager has more influence on game day. 

17 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Because, I think most of us were expecting the appointment of a senior assistant who would take over from van 't Schip at the end of 2016-17. If indeed van 't Schip is to leave after one more season, is Valkanis really the best they could find to take over? Also IMO there is not a great deal of excitement out there about our signings so far, so we were looking for the new coaching team to fill that hole as well.

9 minutes ago, Jovan said:

But that could be said for any assistant.

Anyway I recon it's a good signing.

Is he good enough to be the manager? Time will tell, but I like the idea that he served under those 2 coaches and their methodology, drills and tactics.

10 hours ago, playmaker said:

So getting an assistant that served under arguably the best 2 coaches in the A league is a negative right?

Well I don't know of a better local assistant they could have targeted. They did well, especially if he brings some of the Gombau and Amor knowledge, culture and tactics over to us.

Rado Vadosic is on the market. Pretty hard to go past I would have thought. (He actually has worked for the best 2 coaches in the A League and quite a few others as well).

Edited by Shahanga

31 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

That's your green line?

Joe is still the women's coach. (We don't give away green lions quite so easily at Shahanga HQ)

Yea interesting move that one keeping him on as women's as well. I got told that he had taken the men's role so would be resigning the women's. Clearly likes to have his cake and eat it too.

That being said my source was my hairdresser so that's gotta count for something 

Edited by thisphantomfortress

26 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Rado Vadosic is on the market. Pretty hard to go past I would have thought. (He actually has worked for the best 2 coaches in the A League and quite a few others as well).

Issnt it the case where ever he goes the team turns to shit? Bar the time spent in Brisbane

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

He would have been another option, not sure if he is a better one though. Anyway I recon we made the right choice, time will tell I suppose.

11 hours ago, Dylan said:

Issnt it the case where ever he goes the team turns to shit? Bar the time spent in Brisbane

3 titles at Brisbane, but really that's down to the senior coach. The mark of an assistant to me is do people want to hire him? Rado seems to be highly sought after, which to me is a very good sign. 

14 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Yea interesting move that one keeping him on as women's as well. I got told that he had taken the men's role so would be resigning the women's. Clearly likes to have his cake and eat it too.

That being said my source was my hairdresser so that's gotta count for something 

Is he Greek?

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

3 titles at Brisbane, but really that's down to the senior coach. The mark of an assistant to me is do people want to hire him? Rado seems to be highly sought after, which to me is a very good sign. 

I think you mean Rado 'the brains' Vidosic

8 minutes ago, Falastur said:

Since the whole "PL experience" thing didn't come off I reckon we can also discount the idea that an assistant has been brought in to become the future manager.

So as extension to that JVS has stated this will be his last season.  So that to me just points to a nothing sort of a year. The whole 'PL Experience' line sort of implied some sort of succession / long-term plan. Now with the appointment of 3 new assistants I can't see any sort of long-term thinking. It's just a messsy scenario that makes little sense. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

So as extension to that JVS has stated this will be his last season.  So that to me just points to a nothing sort of a year. The whole 'PL Experience' line sort of implied some sort of succession / long-term plan. Now with the appointment of 3 new assistants I can't see any sort of long-term thinking. It's just a messsy scenario that makes little sense. 

Agree, there doesn't even seem to be any pattern to our recruiting, 1 year signings, ad hoc recruitment of half the list every season gives no indication that the franchise is recruiting to a plan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Agree, there doesn't even seem to be any pattern to our recruiting, 1 year signings, ad hoc recruitment of half the list every season gives no indication that the franchise is recruiting to a plan

Not strictly accurate there Bela. Bouzanis has a one year, but the only other two are Caceres and Brattan (neither confirmed by the club yet) and they are loan deals. The other signings so far are all multi-year.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

City keep an such incredibly tight lid on things that all we have is speculation. I don't think there's any evidence that the "PL experience" thing came from inside the club is there? Trouble is that as supporters we're desperate for good news so we latch onto anything remotely sounding positive.
I'm now in favour of a new club song and think it should be "Heartaches." 

• Like 1