Melbourne Football

The Manager and Assistant Coaches Thread

Tesla

49 minutes ago, n i k o said:

He'd be better than Vidmar. Always wondering how someone who underperforms so much can keep their job this long. 

:ph34r:

Okon is worse, he is lucky that the FFA have invested a lot of time and money into his education. I wonder how long he can continue to get away with bad results and worse football.

Anyway, JVS's player selection has been hamstrung by injuries and suspension so I am not too worried or critical about that. His tactics on the other hand...

I wish the club tried to get Pacheta while he was in Melbourne last month.

Edited by Jacques Le Cube

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think anyone on here suggests that we shouldn't attempt to develop young players. What many of us feel is that our current Head Coach does this at the expense of a hard-nosed approach to winning A-League and FFA Cup matches and hence winning silverware and participating in the Asian Champions League. There is sufficient evidence from this half-season alone to indicate that van 't Schip promotes youth players to the senior squad on a regular basis while overlooking more experienced players in the squad. I'm not suggesting that he does this to deliberately throw away points, but it could be argued that that might be the outcome of some of his decisions. 

I wasn't referring about JVS's performance per se, rather when searching for the next manager how much weight should the club put on his developing youth talent skills versus lets just win some silverware. Ideally the manager should be able to do both with ease but I don't know how many coaches are able to do that and whether a top flight EPL/La Liga coach is able to do that.

I want our NYL coach to develop youth ("what's in a name"?)  I want our senior coach to win something by properly utilising this developed youth and ensuring the NYL team is being run to his requirements. Experimentation with clearly underprepared players and not pulling out all stocks to win games is off the table. I would expect the best "youth coaches" described above have an excellent development assistant and are all over and micromanaging the NYL setup. 

• Like 2

With Guardiola almost certainly going to Manchester. I would wonder if that increases the likely hood of a new manager next season as has been rumoured and that if so, would we seem a desirable destination given that you could effectively be a phone call away

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

With Guardiola almost certainly going to Manchester. I would wonder if that increases the likely hood of a new manager next season as has been rumoured and that if so, would we seem a desirable destination given that you could effectively be a phone call away

I think it would make us a desirable destination, but there is a fair bit of interest in the A-League from overseas coaches already. We hear in the media when agents are flogging players to the A league for marquee spots and guest stints but agents are also indicating to Australian clubs the interest of foreign coaches. How often have we heard clubs say they are conducting a 'Worldwide Search' and there has been interest from all over the world in a vacancy, only to turn around and sign Stubbins, Lowe, Walmsley etc. I can understand clubs not keen on signing foreign coaches, for every Gombau there is a Coolen.

Gombau  is the high point? How many A League titles did he win?

10 dunny seats awarded so far, off the top of my head I count 1 to an imported coach and the rest to Aussies (or foreigners who learnt their trade here). 

Has  to be an Aussie and if Arnold or Ange aren't available, well we should "up the ante"

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

10 dunny seats awarded so far, off the top of my head I count 1 to an imported coach and the rest to Aussies (or foreigners who learnt their trade here). 

Has  to be an Aussie and if Arnold or Ange aren't available, well we should "up the ante"

I'm not sure that the nationality of our next Head Coach is of paramount importance. More important for me is his management skill set, and the degree to which he is focussed on our senior side actually winning. Factors such as understanding how salary and numbers caps work and A-League rules etc. should be well covered by the local people already on the ground here, and I don't see knowledge of them as a pre-requisite for the Head Coach. Similarly youth coaching and development etc.

45 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

No australians, we are the euro snob club. 

Edited by Dylan

1 minute ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

If only we did when we had the chance. Ange was on the BBL coverage the other night and said that ante would make a hell of a coach one day

If we were going for a local coach I would get Ante, we could be one of the few clubs that could get him too

9 minutes ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

If only we did when we had the chance. Ange was on the BBL coverage the other night and said that ante would make a hell of a coach one day

Yeah Sidwell stuffed that up. He also could have hired Ange (who was desperate for a job at the time). Talk about keystone cops.

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not sure that the nationality of our next Head Coach is of paramount importance. More important for me is his management skill set, and the degree to which he is focussed on our senior side actually winning. Factors such as understanding how salary and numbers caps work and A-League rules etc. should be well covered by the local people already on the ground here, and I don't see knowledge of them as a pre-requisite for the Head Coach. Similarly youth coaching and development etc.

I wasn't thinking about A League rules I was thinking about style of play, fitness, determination to win, tactics, skill level, all that stuff.

Now if CFG wish to bring in what I would term a "master"• then obviously I wouldn't object to a foreigner, but if it's just some journeyman that's a different matter.

* has won a major league or tournament (no chance this will happen).

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

that's what i'm hoping for

Question on this point - I have noticed that foreign coaches tend to have at least one local assistant or in the case of Popovic who is Australian but his assistants are Spanish + Spider K. Is there an FFA requirement that an assistant has to be a local coach or can they be from anywhere? I accept that if you bring a foreign coach he would need some local knowledge (up and coming youth players, NPL players, etc.) and perhaps that is why they have locals but I wonder if its an FFA requirement.