Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

During the week it was reported that Joe Didiluca did not pass his goal keeping coaches badge ... So how is this guy part of the coaching staff.. It really is unbelievable when you think about it.. He is coaching our keepers and can pass a coaching exam..

What kind of Mickey Mouse operation are we running..

During the week it was reported that Joe Didiluca did not pass his goal keeping coaches badge ... So how is this guy part of the coaching staff.. It really is unbelievable when you think about it.. He is coaching our keepers and can pass a coaching exam..

It's been obvious for a while that our goalkeeper coaching is basically a 'jobs for the boys' operation.

• Like 1

It's been obvious for a while that our goalkeeper coaching is basically a 'jobs for the boys' operation. He should have lost his job a year ago over Redmayne. Redmayne was this bloke who was playing poorly but presumably had potential. So the coach either calls drop him or develops that potential. Neither happened.

Now I hear he couldn't even pass a coach's exam. Well no surprise there I guess but why is he still on our books ?

It's been obvious for a while that our goalkeeper coaching is basically a 'jobs for the boys' operation. He should have lost his job a year ago over Redmayne. Redmayne was this bloke who was playing poorly but presumably had potential. So the coach either calls drop him or develops that potential. Neither happened.

Now I hear he couldn't even pass a coach's exam. Well no surprise there I guess but why is he still on our books ?

Joke, if true this sort of stuff undermines anything CFG bring in. Mockery.

So does anyone still thinks it's the players?

And do people finally see that JVS ruins players, even Mooy has gone to crap now?

Mooys allowed to have a bad game or two. He has basically carried us in every games this season.

However Koren's form, his use of Kennedy, lack in change of formation in a game is all on him. Time is running out for him.

I am at the point where I'd like to CFG get rid of him at the end of the season regardless of if we make finals or not, as clearly he cannot get anything out of the squad that roughly resembles a string of consistent performances (two weeks in a row would be nice) and if we do have a fair player turnover in the off season I can't see him being able to do any better next season. As a matter of fact, I'd like CFG to get rid of anyone from the club who was there from the heart days - Seems to be a contagious almost acceptance of mediocrity within the club that extends outside the playing group.

We are the best resourced team in Australia, with a wider global network than any football club in the history of this country. Surely we can get a top class manager (and club administration) who will demand nothing but the best from the playing group and get some return for CFG on the millions they've already put in the club - which at the minute has us looking at end of season ladder position three spots higher than garbage bin ice baths did, and that's it.

I'm with CFG on this in terms of just seeing out the season. I am certain there will be a mass clean out of players and staff at the end of the season. I don't think CFG like their image and style being tarnished by some muppet who stuggles to get into the top 6.

I'm with CFG on this in terms of just seeing out the season. I am certain there will be a mass clean out of players and staff at the end of the season. I don't think CFG like their image and style being tarnished by some muppet who stuggles to get into the top 6.

Do you have insider knowledge on CFG ?

And do people finally see that JVS ruins players, even Mooy has gone to crap now?

I have no doubt under any coach some players go backwards (DiMaria and Falcao with Van Gaal for example). Mooy is going backwards due to decisions he makes as much as anything. To suggest the players are blameless is also short sighted. Do you think these players would be world beaters under another coach? I doubt it. They might improve as a team (which the coach is responsible for and JVS isn't doing a good job of) but this is not a top of the table squad with so many mediocre players receiving large pay checks. Guys like Murdocca, Williams, Wiehaert, Redmayne and Ramsey show that this organisation has plenty of money invested in rubbish players. Surely JD needs to take some of this blame. Some of the shit these guys have served up at different times is an embarrassment to professional football.

I don't think just having better players will solve the problems we have, JVS does deserve blame and should be gone at the end of the season if not before. But to suggest that is the only problem is so wrong. We need to get rid of muppets from various parts of the organisation before we will see the improvement we all desire. Starting with Munn, JD and his mates.

When I say "Big" I think we should just get one of those blokes who do the UK Merry-Go-Around getting clubs promoted and then sacked when they cant afford to stay in the EPL... those ten common names who always get hired by new clubs a few months after being sacked elsewhere because its known that they can manage despite having a recent shit patch.

They all have their bad patches and their haters but PPL like Strachan, McCarthy, McClaren, Redknapp, etc there are of a number of others (I know some I have mentioned have jobs already) but they all know how to manage football teams at least to a high level of Championship Football.

They have a lot of experience of dealing with player morale, and culturally will be able to relate to Australian Footballers... 

I know some will read this and say its sounds as boring as fuck and Un-Craig-Foster-Like and will point at particular failures some of the names I have mentioned have had (Please dont because this will be boring and tedious as fuck) but I honestly think if we got one of these coaches who constantly gets rehired in the Championship/EPL/and the old SPL (say seven years ago) then they should be able to deliver in the A-League.

Edit - Martin O'Neill would never come but he would win us the League in one Season FWIW.

Edited by cadete

When I say "Big" I think we should just get one of those blokes who do the UK Merry-Go-Around getting clubs promoted and then sacked when they cant afford to stay in the EPL... those ten common names who always get hired by new clubs a few months after being sacked elsewhere because its known that they can manage despite having a recent shit patch.

They all have their bad patches and their haters but PPL like Strachan, McCarthy, McClaren, Redknapp, etc there are of a number of others (I know some I have mentioned have jobs already) but they all know how to manage football teams at least to a high level of Championship Football.

They have a lot of experience of dealing with player morale, and culturally will be able to relate to Australian Footballers...

I know some will read this and say its sounds as boring as fuck and Un-Craig-Foster-Like and will point at particular failures some of the names I have mentioned have had (Please dont because this will be boring and tedious as fuck) but I honestly think if we got one of these coaches who constantly gets rehired in the Championship/EPL/and the old SPL (say seven years ago) then they should be able to deliver in the A-League.

Edit - Martin O'Neill would never come but he would win us the League in one Season FWIW.

Brian McDermott.

Does this mean that you believe that another coach will make good players out of Ramsay, Redmayne, Hoffman, etc.?

Who all didn't start yesterday

Honestly this club needsa Roy Keane.

Don't agree with tesla, the players are developing as footballers, the problem is we still have "if we win we win". Only Murdocca was trying yesterday. No decent coach accepts that.

And as much as Murdocca was trying he just wasn't good enough to lift the team on his own. I remember seeing one his forward/diagonal passes to Mooy had a paddock in front of him and he passed it behind Mooy as opposed to in front of him so Mooy could run on to it...just little shit like that why Murdocca can try all he likes, he's just not a player that fits well in an attacking/creative role.

No!! Sacking JVS won't solve all the problems, it's a combination of things that need to change..

-coaching staff

-players

-playing Style..

The problem with JVS is he has low standards of what is accepted by players performance and his inability to shake up the playing group when our 1st half performances are rubbish.. His presser after the CCM game was disgraceful, we're is the anger, the passion, I mean we just lost to a team who sacked there coach and a week ago we beat a top 4 team.. It's unbelievable really

No!! Sacking JVS won't solve all the problems, it's a combination of things that need to change..

-coaching staff

-players

-playing Style..

The problem with JVS is he has low standards of what is accepted by players performance and his inability to shake up the playing group when our 1st half performances are rubbish.. His presser after the CCM game was disgraceful, we're is the anger, the passion, I mean we just lost to a team who sacked there coach and a week ago we beat a top 4 team.. It's unbelievable really

Playing style is set by the coach so replacing JVS should fix that issue as well. Coaching staff are usually selected by the head coach so replacing JVS should also fix that issue. Although in this case given that the coaching staff are all new I am not sure whether they would be kept or not. Finally the players: it is one thing to purge the club but decent replacements need to be found within the salary cap.

What really annoys me is however the team play JVS just sits there, shows no emotion whether they are winning or losing. For christ's sake you only have watch Gombau when Adelaide play he has so much passion you could almost see him going onto the pitch to play. Watch most of the coaches in the EPL they get excited and show emotion, i just don't get JVS at all, i can only think that's why the players don't seem to care.

• Like 1

What really annoys me is however the team play JVS just sits there, shows no emotion whether they are winning or losing. For christ's sake you only have watch Gombau when Adelaide play he has so much passion you could almost see him going onto the pitch to play. Watch most of the coaches in the EPL they get excited and show emotion, i just don't get JVS at all, i can only think that's why the players don't seem to care.

When I was just a pup someone told me that the further north you go the colder they are. Nobody travels to the Netherlands for warmth

-coaching staff

-players

-playing Style..

Agree but disagree.

Agree there needs to be a real clean out of people who set and promote the pathetic attitude of this club

Don't agree that it's not JVS's fault. You make the best of what you have and JVS has no idea how to do that. Most people on here would do a better job.

CFG have got to move in and take some hard decisions. I do not agree with waiting until the end of the season. Show some balls and show the supporters that this is a team worth following.

Seriously with the squad we have we should be making finals automatically... I'm not saying winning a title but we have two good CB's, a capable DM, three more than decent CM's and now a good CF. That should be enough at least finish in the first half of the table in the A-League. (Plus Duff before he went down was obv a good Winger for this level).

You look at coach like Martin O'Neill and he got good results at Leicester, Celtic and Aston Villa for what each club could achieve using three different very formations and three different playing styles that suited his squads. Conversely all we have seen for now over three years is JVS using pretty much the same formation and playing style (Bar a few exceptions) week in week out.

He was arrogant as a player known as someone who did not like to take directions (Read into his time at Genoa) and his coaching is a reflection of this... he has his one vision and his incapable of seeing a different perspective despite this vision never having yielding any results.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

http://m.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/aleague-john-vant-schip-running-out-of-time-to-turn-melbourne-city-around-20150309-13yzdu.html

"1. City must shape up or van't Schip will be out

Enough with the pleasantries about Melbourne City will become - let's talk about what they are. Manchester City's feeder club might want to ditch the old Heart colours for away games, for they displayed the same tendencies as the ill-fated club on Sunday against Central Coast. The Abu Dhabi overlords must be shaking their heads at what is happening, having provided John van't Schip with a squad that should have walked into the top six. They'll invest again next season but their purchases may not be restricted to more top players. Elite coaching talent is required to match their ambition"

Seriously with the squad we have we should be making finals automatically... I'm not saying winning a title but we have two good CB's, a capable DM, three more than decent CM's and now a good CF. That should be enough at least finish in the first half of the table in the A-League. (Plus Duff before he went down was obv a good Winger for this level).

You look at coach like Martin O'Neill and he got good results at Leicester, Celtic and Aston Villa for what each club could achieve using three different very formations and three different playing styles that suited his squads. Conversely all we have seen for now over three years is JVS using pretty much the same formation and playing style (Bar a few exceptions) week in week out.

He was arrogant as a player known as someone who did not like to take directions (Read into his time at Genoa) and his coaching is a reflection of this... he has his one vision and his incapable of seeing a different perspective despite this vision never having yielding any results.

-coaching staff

-players

-playing Style..

Agree but disagree.

Agree there needs to be a real clean out of people who set and promote the pathetic attitude of this club

Don't agree that it's not JVS's fault. You make the best of what you have and JVS has no idea how to do that. Most people on here would do a better job.

CFG have got to move in and take some hard decisions. I do not agree with waiting until the end of the season. Show some balls and show the supporters that this is a team worth following.

i'm always apprehensive about major clean outs.  they always seem to be clean outs for the sake of clean outs, never really set things right long term

so what ever happens here, i hope that it is done with a fair amount of tack and planning.  hopefully the club has already begun the next phase of the change, and will have a coach well and truly lined up by the time JVS is "moved on" to greener pastures.

i say next phase on the basis that our Youth team has done very well of late and the club has managed to sign a range of quality younger players this season in the senior ranks.

when i look at the AFL, the main reason i think the likes of Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney have done so well over the last decade is that each club has laid solid foundations throughout the club.  in turn, this has allowed the club to adequately fill gaps quickly and internally.

other clubs always seem to be relying on a rebuild every few years, thinking a clean out is going to make it all ok (just look at Rcihmond).

when i then look at our situation, i question the value in constantly calling for clean outs (as there always seems to be when we lose). as cadete quite rightly points out, the difference a quality man & tactical manager makes is astounding.  given the resources available at CFG, i'd hope the next correction made by the club is to put in a quality foreign coach.  if they can then supplement that with a number of quality young local prospects as a means of developing the next best 2-3 local coaches then even better.

the foreign coach tho is the key.  results are results.  without implying that JVS should stay, look at how we went after he replaced JA.  we may have had Engelaar come back, but surely people realise the improvement in form was more than just the big Dutchman.  JVS got the lads working better.  sadly, JVS cant do it over the course of a season.

Edited by mattyh001

Under JVS, the team is up and down like a yo-yo.  World beaters one week, only to not turn up the next, and when they don't turn up, it is always on an occasion when the team really needs to perform.  When we've had our backs to the wall, I honestly do not recall a situation where the team has stood up and delivered.

To me, this inconsistency shows that JVS lacks mental strength and the belief in both himself and the team.  He doesn't seem to be able to make the tough, or even smart calls, at critical times.  His body language during games and his post match interviews are unconvincing.  He seems distant from the players.

Wesley Sneijder once said of Mourinho that he was prepared to 'kill and die for him'.  

For the most part, I don't get a sense that our guys would bleed for JVS.  There are a few guys, such as Melling, Chapman and Tando who may give that impression, but I think that is more just the way they are, not necessarily something demanded of by the manager.

I can't see us ever being consistently successful under JVS.