Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

He needs to go , but you can't hold him responsible for the god-awful skills of Brown, Retre even Dugandiz, Far too many poor touches, over hit or badly directed simple passes and terrible decision making are player issues, not coaching issues at this level.

And don't get me started on the glacial leg speed of Paartalu and Jaliens. 

Lol. This cunt is actually going to save his job here. Typical JVS.

I highly doubt the decision will be made based on another one of his infamous mini-runs. Or at least I hope that wont happen again

It won't be but have look at the squad : he has basically gutted it from last season, and then the injuries he has had to manage.  He will rightly argue that this was a season of change after inheriting the bottom of the table squad.  

Outside top 6 and he is gone

6 spot and he is 50-50.

Top 4 by way of winning games in finals, and he will stay.

Edited by Kiro Kompiro
  • Like 2

I highly doubt the decision will be made based on another one of his infamous mini-runs. Or at least I hope that wont happen again

It won't be but have look at the squad : he has basically gutted it from last season, and then the injuries he has had to manage. He will rightly argue that this was a season of change after inheriting the bottom of the table squad.

6 spot and he is 50-50.

Top 4 by way of winning games in finals, and he will stay. I'm not going to bother going into the same arguments we've all been over regarding squad, recruitment, etc etc. But I will say the exact same thing I said in pre season. If JVS is to stay on (in my opinion) he will need to show that he can get the team playing consistently well (fail) and anything below 4th on the table is unacceptable (looking like a fail there too but the seasons not over yet so we will wait and see). No exceptions. We are seeing the exact same patterns we've seen in every other stint he's been in charge and we're hearing the same excuses when things are not going our way too.

I honestly don't hive a shit who is in charge as long as they are able to deliver consistently.

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

It won't be but have look at the squad : he has basically gutted it from last season, and then the injuries he has had to manage. He will rightly argue that this was a season of change after inheriting the bottom of the table squad.

6 spot and he is 50-50.

Top 4 by way of winning games in finals, and he will stay. I'm not going to bother going into the same arguments we've all been over regarding squad, recruitment, etc etc. But I will say the exact same thing I said in pre season. If JVS is to stay on (in my opinion) he will need to show that he can get the team playing consistently well (fail) and anything below 4th on the table is unacceptable (looking like a fail there too but the seasons not over yet so we will wait and see). No exceptions. We are seeing the exact same patterns we've seen in every other stint he's been in charge and we're hearing the same excuses when things are not going our way too.

I honestly don't hive a shit who is in charge as long as they are able to deliver consistently.

yes WE are, but CFG are seeing a bottom of the`table`club moving up the ladder with numerous injuries and player additions during the season.  JVS could argue he has managed the situation well.

I want the guy gone for ultimately the same reason but right now he is 50-50.

We are seeing the exact same patterns we've seen in every other stint he's been in charge and we're hearing the same excuses when things are not going our way too.

yes WE are, but CFG are seeing a bottom of the`table`club moving up the ladder with numerous injuries and player additions during the season.  JVS could argue he has managed the situation well.

Hopefully CFG are not that gullible

He needs to go , but you can't hold him responsible for the god-awful skills of Brown, Retre even Dugandiz, Far too many poor touches, over hit or badly directed simple passes and terrible decision making are player issues, not coaching issues at this level.

And don't get me started on the glacial leg speed of Paartalu and Jaliens.

Yes he is responsible, who signed these players??

and he must of seen something in them to keep them even through the take over, which was the perfect chance to wipe the slate clean.

It won't be but have look at the squad : he has basically gutted it from last season, and then the injuries he has had to manage.  He will rightly argue that this was a season of change after inheriting the bottom of the table squad.  

6 spot and he is 50-50.

Top 4 by way of winning games in finals, and he will stay. Disagree! The decision to keep JVS or not will be made irrespective of where we finish. At the end of the day it will come down to 2 points.

1st the CFG need to have confidence that JVS is the man to take the club forward.. Given what Brian Marwood said recently I think JVS has failed there.

2nd it will come down to players opinion and what they think of the current manager. Koren, Paarteluu, and Duff don't seem to happy with JVS, his man management and general softness has lead to continued dip in form and inconsistency ..

IMO I think the decision has been made and JVS will be given his marching orders at seasons end... At least I hope so

• Like 2

@Attack11.  I seriously can't see them sacking the guy one year in to a 3 year(?) deal if he gets the club to go from last to 4th.

Any coach that comes in will have to effectively re-build.  It may happen quickly, it might be another season written off.

Right now, much to my disappointment, he is a line ball call.

you know he actually showed some emotion last night

like he actually gave a f*ck

I remember JA beating his chest after drawing with Adelaide at AAMI.

It hasn't changed much, he was still not capable of successfully managing an A-league team

• Like 1

The main issue is that I don't see us playing the "CFG way", with the standard slow transition from defence to attack still very apparent this season.

Our passing is terrible, with Mooy the only player saving us from embarrassment for most of this season.

Tactically JVS has been off his game this year, for whatever reason, which I must say I didn't see as his biggest issue the first time around at the club. He seemed quite aware of his tactics and how to prepare for opponents in the past, but this season for the most part he seems almost stuck on one formation.

Against Adelaide he tried to change it up and got it very wrong, but last night he did at least try to mix it upagain. Still didn't think we were overly effective last night, but hard from from Paddy really did save us. Happy to win a game like that though as we usually just throw it away.

Edited by Heart_fan

We'll always be a mid table club at best with JVS, it isn't a question of how far we go this year - this was always going to be a transitional year, its whether he's shown enough to convince that we can win the title with him. I didn't have a firm opinion at the start of the season because there were too many other variables, now I do have an opinion, I don't think that he is the right manager to take us to a Premiership

Its far too uncommon though.

He seems to only care at some moments, when a manager/coach needs to be on his game at ALL times.

It looked fake and a little put on though. Like he felt uncomfortable doing it.

FFS, we won because Kisnorbo and Jaliens played as the CBs. It's an obvious call, that even some random bloke like me kept calling for all week leading up to the game. But JVS didn't make that call, he was forced into it by unavailabilities. I'm 100% sure Chapman would have played and probably gotten destroyed by Janko if he was available.

Sack him already.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

FFS, we won because Kisnorbo and Jaliens played as the CBs. It's an obvious call, that even some random bloke like me kept calling for all week leading up to the game. But JVS didn't make that call, he was forced into it by unavailabilities. I'm 100% sure Chapman would have played and probably gotten destroyed by Janko if he was available.

Sack him already.

Come on cfg, the fans can't make it anymore clearer.

We love jvs <3

Sack him already.

Don't follow this. Kisnorbo marked Janko very effectively although Janko towered over him (actually towered over everybody). So whether Chapman was there or not it is most likely that Kisnorbo would have marked Janko anyway. Also, does this mean that you don't believe that Chapman should be selected or at the very least Chpman should not play CB alongside Kisnorbo? Finally, given that Chapman and Safuwan were not available, who else was there?

Don't follow this. Kisnorbo marked Janko very effectively although Janko towered over him (actually towered over everybody). So whether Chapman was there or not it is most likely that Kisnorbo would have marked Janko anyway. Also, does this mean that you don't believe that Chapman should be selected or at the very least Chpman should not play CB alongside Kisnorbo?

Sorry I didnt want to go over the same thing as I'm probably getting annoying reposting the same thing all week. But basically I dont trust inexperienced defenders being anywhere near Janko, draws penalties really well, and just his general play is very reliant on his experience and brains more so than technical or physical skills (not saying he doesnt have skills in those areas as well, but it's really the mental attributes were he stands out IMO). I'd say that's why he has done so well in the A-League, basically exploiting all the inexperienced defenders. Whereas Jaliens and Kisnorbo are two very experienced professionals who have spent many years in Europe and played against players like him many times before. I actually rate Chapman very highly and would start him any other game, but I think this was an obvious case of where we needed the two experienced CBs, and I believe the game showed that was the case and that's why we won.

Finally, given that Chapman and Safuwan were not available, who else was there?

No one, that's exactly my point, he got lucky in a way that Chapman and Safuwan were out, because he certainly would have played one of them at CB.

Don't follow this. Kisnorbo marked Janko very effectively although Janko towered over him (actually towered over everybody). So whether Chapman was there or not it is most likely that Kisnorbo would have marked Janko anyway. Also, does this mean that you don't believe that Chapman should be selected or at the very least Chpman should not play CB alongside Kisnorbo?

Sorry I didnt want to go over the same thing as I'm probably getting annoying reposting the same thing all week. But basically I dont trust inexperienced defenders being anywhere near Janko, draws penalties really well, and just his general play is very reliant on his experience and brains more so than technical or physical skills (not saying he doesnt have skills in those areas as well, but it's really the mental attributes were he stands out IMO). I'd say that's why he has done so well in the A-League, basically exploiting all the inexperienced defenders. Whereas Jaliens and Kisnorbo are two very experienced professionals who have spent many years in Europe and played against players like him many times before. I actually rate Chapman very highly and would start him any other game, but I think this was an obvious case of where we needed the two experienced CBs, and I believe the game showed that was the case and that's why we won.

Finally, given that Chapman and Safuwan were not available, who else was there?

No one, that's exactly my point, he got lucky in a way that Chapman and Safuwan were out, because he certainly would have played one of them at CB.

OK got it. There are some opposition players where you would not play Chapman or Safuwan because the latter two would be too inexperienced and more than likely give away a penalty. That makes sense now.

Don't entirely agree because Kisnorbo definitely fouled Janko and that should have been a penalty. Luck was on Kisnorbo's side that the ref did not pay it. Personally, I think that Janko, Brosque and Ibini are masters of diving regardless of the defender's experience. But your overall point that KVS (or any coach for that matter) should always bear in mind the likely opponent and if necessary play someone else to blunt the opponents skill set.

Its far too uncommon though.

He seems to only care at some moments, when a manager/coach needs to be on his game at ALL times.

It looked fake and a little put on though. Like he felt uncomfortable doing it.

hqvHqs.gif

• Like 6

^^ haha classic. I saw it too and thought wtf is he doing.

His decisions last night were strange, especially his 2nd substitution. To use all 3 by the 60th minute was a huge risk and one that nearly backfired badly when Clisby went down.

The more I considered the match last night in the light of day today, I just don't know what he is trying to achieve. He's moulded a team into a park the bus style, which goes against everything he had said he stands for. It may well get results, keep us happy for a few weeks but will tend to fall apart if it's not sustainable.

This for me says he is trying to save his job but really doesn't care less about developing a style that he and the club have promised the fans.

Winning is good, but if it is achieved just as a short term band aid solution that he is trying to pull off, it starts to make me worry about moving forward. If he can't deliver the style, which he is yet to show much evidence of, he just doesn't appear to be the right person for the role.

The 'smile' to me just shows how forced it all is for him, trying to somehow gloss over things.

Edited by Heart_fan

Agreed that JVS is copping some unwarranted flack. At the beginning of the season I expected the club to finish 6th and we are on track to do so.

However I am not sure how much credit to give to JVS in all of this because essentially the club has been on an upward trend since Wieleart, Garrucio and Duff got long term injuries. Their replacements in Jaliens, Clisby and Novillo as well as Safuwan joining the club have seen the club become more competitive and the leaky defence getting plugged. With the exceptions of Clisby and Jaliens, who JVS would have seen playing some game time for PG and the Jets respectively (although he may have been aware of Jaliens through Dutch football but his time at the Jets were not that impressive) the other players would have been brought to his attention via the scout network.

Tactically he has not innovated enough for my liking but right now he is not losing so that is a good start.

• Like 1

Poor guy can't win.

I know. Thats why we are 6th

Win ugly they say. Then when we win ugly. People complain.

There is a difference between winning ugly (ie, scrapping it out when you are playing a good team who is pressing you) and playing ugly (ie, playing in 2nd gear against a half baked Brisbane side who have been terrible and played a game 3 days prior).

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

His decisions last night were strange, especially his 2nd substitution. To use all 3 by the 60th minute was a huge risk and one that nearly backfired badly when Clisby went down.

The more I considered the match last night in the light of day today, I just don't know what he is trying to achieve. He's moulded a team into a park the bus style, which goes against everything he had said he stands for. It may well get results, keep us happy for a few weeks but will tend to fall apart if it's not sustainable.

This for me says he is trying to save his job but really doesn't care less about developing a style that he and the club have promised the fans.

Winning is good, but if it is achieved just as a short term band aid solution that he is trying to pull off, it starts to make me worry about moving forward. If he can't deliver the style, which he is yet to show much evidence of, he just doesn't appear to be the right person for the role.

The 'smile' to me just shows how forced it all is for him, trying to somehow gloss over things.

This season was always going to be a transitional season as the squad still has too many Sidwell/Aloisi era players to be either consistently competitive or versatile. Our depth is wafer thin, especially when we get injuries to key position players. Our forward line is still our weakness as evidenced by the poor total of goals scored by our front three. This is in part a reflection of the players and individual mistakes - Mate, Ramsay and Williams missing from 3m out for instance, but partly a tactical failure of poor ball speed and poor movement off the ball to open defences. Our defence has certainly improved with recruitment over the season, the competency of our midfield reflects player availability. Where we have improved is in injury reduction during training, a regular occurrence in previous seasons. Most pf our current injuries have occurred on match day.

JVS has to work with what he's got, we don't have the squad to win the league but we've come aeons from last season and the destructive mediocrity of Aloisi and his 'kick long to the offside oompa loompa' philosophy, last minute collapses and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. I don't think that he is the coach that will be able to win the competition and take us deep into the ACL and this is why he should be replaced, but without meaning to damn him with faint praise he's certainly taken us a considerable way from last season.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 2

This season was always going to be a transitional season as the squad still has too many Sidwell/Aloisi era players to be either consistently competitive or versatile. Our depth is wafer thin, especially when we get injuries to key position players. Our forward line is still our weakness as evidenced by the poor total of goals scored by our front three. This is in part a reflection of the players and individual mistakes - Mate, Ramsay and Williams missing from 3m out for instance, but partly a tactical failure of poor ball speed and poor movement off the ball to open defences. Our defence has certainly improved with recruitment over the season, the competency of our midfield reflects player availability. Where we have improved is in injury reduction during training, a regular occurrence in previous seasons. Most pf our current injuries have occurred on match day.

JVS has to work with what he's got, we don't have the squad to win the league but we've come aeons from last season and the destructive mediocrity of Aloisi and his 'kick long to the offside oompa loompa' philosophy, last minute collapses and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. I don't think that he is the coach that will be able to win the competition and take us deep into the ACL and this is why he should be replaced, but without meaning to damn him with faint praise he's certainly taken us a considerable way from last season.

I dont know why PPL buy into this argument as there are at least like at least six/seven examples of A-League Teams who did not need transitional years to go from Cellar Dwellers to competitive finals outfits.

More importantly following players were were not Heart Players:

Mooy, Koren, Eric, Meiling - Thats the best Engine Room that Heart/City has ever had by a country mile and consists of players all new to the team this year.

Chapman has basically as played as well at CB at Good did and Kisnorbo has been a lot more consistent this Season than last Season and if you look back at the Heart years they have probably been the most solid pairing we have had at CB since the few games Madaschi played on a Summer Holiday.

Vila, Duff, Kennedy, Safuwan, Jailens, Clisby, Novillo... of course have all come into the side at different stages of the Season but they are further proof that JVS has had better players to work with than the list cloggers that we use to see coming on as subs in Hoffman, Kalmar and Co.

Yes - We still have players like Duga, Hoff and Williams on our list but they are hardly playing major roles to the extent that some transitional period argument can be made made... in fact if we had a fully fit squad to choose from none of these Ex Heart Duds would barely even make the bench, 

Edited by cadete