Melbourne Football

David Williams

sharpy

That miss today in the first half when he was one on one with an out of position Danny Vukovic is inexcusable.

My take is that David Williams doesn't have the right temperament - the fear of missing led to him panicking/freezing up and losing his technique. Result - he skied the ball metres over the cross bar.

David Williams is over 27. It's unlikely he's going to improve much from here.

He's a coach killer and a team morale sapper and should be replaced.

I also think he is one player who we could attract interest for, as someone will be attracted by his highlights reel.  Makes sense to move him on whilst we can.

Edited by Shahanga

Been saying that this guy is garbage for 33 pages.

He is only effective if you bring him off the bench for the last 10-20 minutes, where he can use his bit of speed to run around tired players. He just clearly is not a starter in this league.

Fully agree. He's an impact player at best.

That miss today in the first half when he was one on one with an out of position Danny Vukovic is inexcusable.

My take is that David Williams doesn't have the right temperament - the fear of missing led to him panicking/freezing up and losing his technique. Result - he skied the ball metres over the cross bar.

"the fear of missing led to him panicking/freezing up and losing his technique."

Maybe or maybe not. It may not be fear or panick but just an inadequate techqiue that cannot be improved. There are many players like this in the HAL and that's why they're not playing in higher leagues around the world. Or they tried, failed and came back home.

I almost think he might have the opposite problem to a fear of missing (which does seem to be an issue with a number of players. Jason Hoffman pretty much said it's why he struggled as a striker in the A-League).

I'm starting to wonder if Williams is just too casual and nonchalant in front of goal. He never seems truly annoyed or angry when he misses or stuffs up a big chance.

In other words, "If I score I score, if I miss I miss" might be the kind of thinking Williams has, and why he is such a wasteful player in front of goal.

Edited by Murfy1

Williams is missing that cunningness in front of goal. Those that have played up front would understand when you shoot you get a sense of where the keeper is where he expects you to shoot and your able to formulate all this in an instant to make a correct decision on how you will execute this to score the goal. I watch Williams and I don't see in any instant his brain process the situation whatsover. He scores when no thought process is necessary. Force him to think and he's fucked.

I agree with Parrot as I believe he definitely panicked in this instance.

He brought the ball down and his touch put it a bit further behind him that he wanted. He then panicked and snatched at the shot as Vukovic came at him, sending it way high. It was just friggin awful.

It's definitely not a striker's temperament. He did exceptionally well with his goal tally last year, but he is not a real striker. Apart from Kennedy, we don't really have one.

Which is why need to move heaven and earth to get someone who knows what they're doing in front of goal. See McLaren's finishes....composure! 

He brought the ball down and his touch put it a bit further behind him that he wanted. He then panicked and snatched at the shot as Vukovic came at him, sending it way high. It was just friggin awful.

It's definitely not a striker's temperament. He did exceptionally well with his goal tally last year, but he is not a real striker. Apart from Kennedy, we don't really have one.

Which is why need to move heaven and earth to get someone who knows what they're doing in front of goal. See McLaren's finishes....composure! 

Thanks Rass.

When I used to play at a reasonable level in competition table tennis I got myself into winning positions points up against good players or in important games and then my technique went to pieces.

Why? Because of the fear of failure. The fear of messing up this great position I was in. Result - I tensed up, gripped the bat much tighter, the fluid shots disappeared plus because the bat was gripped much tighter made the opponent's spin on the ball so much harder to control.

The number of times Williams misses absolute sitters from a few metres out that he'd easily put away in practice is I'm sure imo because he's fearful of messing up an absolute sitter and everything else bad flows from that.

• Like 1

Thanks Rass.

When I used to play at a reasonable level in competition table tennis I got myself into winning positions points up against good players or in important games and then my technique went to pieces.

Why? Because of the fear of failure. The fear of messing up this great position I was in. Result - I tensed up, gripped the bat much tighter, the fluid shots disappeared plus because the bat was gripped much tighter made the opponent's spin on the ball so much harder to control.

The number of times Williams misses absolute sitters from a few metres out that he'd easily put away in practice is I'm sure imo because he's fearful of messing up an absolute sitter and everything else bad flows from that.

It has finally clicked.

Table tennis.

• Like 1

it is because he played with Mifdud for a season, taught him how to miss those one on ones

I don't really care why Williams is so hopeless in front of goal - we're not supposed to be running a psychology clinic out there, it's a football club.

He has never been reliable in front of goal, and should never have been signed for more than one more season after his reasonable showing last season.

van 't Schip just doesn't seem to understand the common-sense approach. I don't care how bloody tactically brilliant he's supposed to be, because if it's not allied with common sense it won't get us anywhere. And the results prove that it hasn't.

• Like 1

Needs to come on at around the 60th minute mark this Friday as he pretty much always makes an impact as a sub. We can't really afford to have a guy who can't take his chances in the starting XI as I can see us only getting a few.

Needs to come on at around the 60th minute mark this Friday as he pretty much always makes an impact as a sub. We can't really afford to have a guy who can't take his chances in the starting XI as I can see us only getting a few.

So who are you starting ahead of him again?

Surely we can save the vitriol till after the 17th.

No doubt that Willo has had a poor season, even by his own standards. One bad habit he seems to have developed is his first touch takes the ball away from goal instead of towards it - he did that again when put through by Koren in the early stages against Wellington.

But I'm afraid that he will be with us again next season. The only way out for him that I can see is a possible offer from one of the sides rebuilding after this season - say Central Coast or Newcastle. But I think that is rather unlikely.

Did anyone see the Fox Sports word association video Melbourne City posted? Willo Paartalu and Chapman all took part and their answers were pretty funny.

WORD: Finals.

PAARTALU: City winning it all.

CHAPMAN: City winning it all.

WILLIAMS: Series.

The best one though was

WORD: Striker.

PAARTALU: Goals.

WILLIAMS: Shots.

Says all you need to know about him haha

• Like 1

tbh i dont even mind him. Sure he has his moments but i genuinely think he's a decent bloke who loves the club.

Unfortunately that doesnt make you a good player.. and agree has been a shadow of himself this season. But he is a big game player and I do believe he can prove himself worthy of his spot if he lifts his game come finals.

I like him. Always have. But he has a lot to play for this derby and next season

Did anyone see the Fox Sports word association video Melbourne City posted? Willo Paartalu and Chapman all took part and their answers were pretty funny.

WORD: Finals.

PAARTALU: City winning it all.

CHAPMAN: City winning it all.

WILLIAMS: Series.

The best one though was

WORD: Striker.

PAARTALU: Goals.

WILLIAMS: Shots.

Says all you need to know about him haha

I laughed a lot at this too ahaha

So who are you starting ahead of him again?

Surely we can save the vitriol till after the 17th.

There's no vitriol, I'm just contributing to the discussion and to be fair, I've been one of his staunchest defenders on here in the past.

I just think he's terribly out of form and even he acknowledges it (see recent A-League chants video on FB), and we all know how good he is coming off the bench. As for who would start ahead of him, well that's half the problem... 

Hi Nate. The comment about "vitriol" wasn't really directed at you, just the trend of the thread. I think JVS knows what we all know - Willo hasn't had the best season but for better or worse he's the best option he has right now.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 1

Hi Nate. The comment about "vitriol" wasn't really directed at you, just the trend of the thread. I think JVS knows what we all know - Willo hasn't had the best season but for better or worse he's the best option he has right now.

Fair enough indeed!