Melbourne Football

David Williams

sharpy

He was the x factor.

Personally he deserves the 3 votes.  He was involved in every goal.

Maybe his best impact is from the bench.

Agree that he may be best coming off the bench as the impact player.

Too expensive for that.

Silly me.  Lets pick our starting 11 based on wages. 

What are Sydney doing with Smeltz???? Arnie has no idea!

I suspect that if we ever found out the player's salaries the forum would go into meltdown!

• Like 1

He was the x factor.

That has been the case for four years... every now and then it works and it worked last night.

He was the x factor.

Too expensive for that.

Willo is on circa $300 k.  For that money I would want a starter.

Smeltz is recovering from injury and is being kept out by their marquee. Arnold does play with two up front in a 442 so Smeltz will start.

And Willo is no Smeltz.

He was the x factor.

Too expensive for that.

Willo is on circa $300 k.  For that money I would want a starter.

Smeltz is recovering from injury and is being kept out by their marquee. Arnold does play with two up front in a 442 so Smeltz will start.

And Willo is no Smeltz.

Smeltz does not do much chasing so he does not press - Smeltz is no Willo in that regard. Different kind of player.

On the question of salary, we don't know whether the contract has clauses about the amount of minutes played, assists and goals scored. As an example, Cahill is said to be on $10M/season but that can only be reached if he hits all of his incentive payments.

• Like 1

Coach killer

He needs to be shown the door, contracted or not, imo.

Can't be relied upon. had a run of few good games last season that's it. 

His chance today????? Not to even test the keeper. Just not good enough. 

out.

I've lost patience with Wilo, He was one of my favourite players but over the years his performances have been shocking...

How can a player score 12 goals last season and this season I think he has 2 goals to his name.. I agree, I think he needs to go.. One good performance in 20 games is no where near good enough.. JVS might think otherwise...

I've lost patience with Wilo, He was one of my favourite players but over the years his performances have been shocking...

How can a player score 12 goals last season and this season I think he has 2 goals to his name.. I agree, I think he needs to go.. One good performance in 20 games is no where near good enough.. JVS might think otherwise...

This. All the good will has evaporated. 

GTFO.

The NYL Season ended last week... so fucken bring in JP as Caretaker for the rest of this Season and then aim big for our next Manager for next Season.

I don't know a 'big' manager is what we need. I think we need a manager with a clear strategic view who can pass those ideas onto players with clear and concise instructions. If that happens to be a big name great if not I'm fine with that too. I think we need a guy similar to Brendan Rogers or Koeman who aim to play the game the right way. I suspect like Adelaide we should be looking for someone from continental Europe.   

Wilo not celebrating after his goal last night shows his lost the passion for this club and perhaps the game.. Simply doesn't give a fuck if we finish 1st, last, 6th or 10th...

We need to get players like this out of our club.. For a player to score 12 goals last season and then go so many games without a goal I would have expected at least a fist pump in the air after he scored ...

Wilo not celebrating after his goal last night shows his lost the passion for this club and perhaps the game.. Simply doesn't give a fuck if we finish 1st, last, 6th or 10th...

We need to get players like this out of our club.. For a player to score 12 goals last season and then go so many games without a goal I would have expected at least a fist pump in the air after he scored ...

Harsh. He got a good pass (albeit with a hint of offside) and converted it to put the game out of Newcastle's reach. No need for a wild celebration.

Harsh. He got a good pass (albeit with a hint of offside) and converted it to put the game out of Newcastle's reach. No need for a wild celebration.

Agreed. If that had been Mooy, people would probably be pointing to it as a sign of his professionalism.

• Like 1

Agreed. If that had been Mooy, people would probably be pointing to it as a sign of his professionalism.

'cept Mooy has nothing to prove this season.

• Like 1

'cept Mooy has nothing to prove this season.

Williams getting on the end of one in a training drill against a bunch of witches hats doesn't exactly prove a lot either. His reaction pretty much mirrored mine.

Scores a goal against a pitiful opponent when the game is dead.

Here's a thought, score a goal when we actually need one.

Not all goals are created equal. His goal and Ramsay's mean very little. There was no pressure to perform in the context of the match.

Edited by Harrison

Not all goals are created equal. His goal and Ramsay's mean very little. There was no pressure to perform in the context of the match.

you're one of those people who rings up talk back stations and just whinges about everything arnt you?

you're one of those people who rings up talk back stations and just whinges about everything arnt you?

Well said Dylan. Bloody hell, people, we did win 4-0. So what it was against the bottom team. If it had been Mooy who'd scored the third goal, or the fourth, people would be wetting themselves with praise. Because it's Williams and Ramsay the goals were worth less because we were already in front. Sometimes I just don't get what it is that City "supporters" actually want.

• Like 5

So we always win when we are 2-0 up do we?

As to Newcastle being duds, well yeah, but that hasn't stopped us losing before has it?

Nice to see willo back on the scoresheet.

• Like 1

Well said Dylan. Bloody hell, people, we did win 4-0. So what it was against the bottom team. If it had been Mooy who'd scored the third goal, or the fourth, people would be wetting themselves with praise. Because it's Williams and Ramsay the goals were worth less because we were already in front. Sometimes I just don't get what it is that City "supporters" actually want.

I know that right now I probably want Williams coming off the bench for every game remaining in the season. The gap between his performances when he starts and his performances when he comes off the bench has become almost comical.

Edited by SF33

I must've missed the meeting where we agreed to forget about past performances. Unfortunately, he is disappointing most weeks, especially when he starts. That explains my negativity, which tends to carry over from week to week even when he scores a goal. 

I hope he improves to the point where he can score/create goals in crucial moments. His miss last week against CCM proved to be a big one. If he can regain confidence in his ability, I think he'll be able to make a bigger impact. Perhaps this goal will be indicative of his performances into the immediate future. 

Time is running out for him though as, IIRC, he is out of contract at season's end. I imagine he'll take a pay cut if he is offered a contract. I'm not sure what he is currently being paid but if it is anything like $300k, he is overpaid. 

I must've missed the meeting where we agreed to forget about past performances. Unfortunately, he is disappointing most weeks, especially when he starts. That explains my negativity, which tends to carry over from week to week even when he scores a goal.

I hope he improves to the point where he can score/create goals in crucial moments. His miss last week against CCM proved to be a big one. If he can regain confidence in his ability, I think he'll be able to make a bigger impact. Perhaps this goal will be indicative of his performances into the immediate future.

Time is running out for him though as, IIRC, he is out of contract at season's end. I imagine he'll take a pay cut if he is offered a contract. I'm not sure what he is currently being paid but if it is anything like $300k, he is overpaid.

I thought he had a year to go contract wise

• 1 month later...

That miss today in the first half when he was one on one with an out of position Danny Vukovic is inexcusable.

My take is that David Williams doesn't have the right temperament - the fear of missing led to him panicking/freezing up and losing his technique. Result - he skied the ball metres over the cross bar.

David Williams is over 27. It's unlikely he's going to improve much from here.

He's a coach killer and a team morale sapper and should be replaced.

Edited by Parrot
  • Like 1