Melbourne Football

David Williams

sharpy

Williams and Hoffman are contracted until the end of 2015-16. Another example of top decision-making by van 't Schip.

Depends how much they're on really. I don't mind either being in the squad (especially if they're cheap), but neither should be the automatic selections to the starting team that they've been for a long time now.

• Like 1

Williams and Hoffman are contracted until the end of 2015-16. Another example of top decision-making by van 't Schip.

Depends how much they're on really. I don't mind either being in the squad (especially if they're cheap), but neither should be the automatic selections to the starting team that they've been for a long time now.

This. Unfortunately I don't think Williams is on a particularly low wage.

Well last season Williams was a contender for the Golden Boot so what happened to that Williams? Hoffman, much as it pains me to say it, was the most consistent player for the season. So both had solid reasons to be awarded new contracts. This season both are showing that this was an error.

Well last season Williams was a contender for the Golden Boot so what happened to that Williams? Hoffman, much as it pains me to say it, was the most consistent player for the season. So both had solid reasons to be awarded new contracts. This season both are showing that this was an error.

mooy takes pens now so that's a large chunk of williams goals gone

If he is playing for a contract he'll score 20 and get re-signed for another 3 years.

Williams last goal scored from open play was on the 8th of November 2014, in the 3-1 away win against Brisbane early this season.

Before that, the last goal Williams scored in open play was on the 1st of March 2014, in the 4-0 derby win last season.

So since the 4-0 derby last season, Williams has only scored 1 goal from open play across 17 matches (the goal in the 3-1 away win again Brisbane).

If Williams can get to February the 16th without scoring again from open play, Williams will have scored more goals from open play on just 1 day, the 16th of February 2014 (the 5-0 win against Wellington, where Williams got his hat-trick), then over the following 365 days (only 2 goals: the 4-0 derby goal, and the 3-1 Brisbane away goal).

Startling stats, and for me Williams is easily the most inconsistent player in the team (and that's saying something). He's maddeningly inconsistent. And his inconsistency is nearing the unacceptable level IMO.

I'm starting to wonder if Melbourne City should look at bringing in another salary cap striker in the future, because as things stand it looks like an unreasonably large amount of responsibility will fall on Josh Kennedy's shoulders to score goals from February 1st (arguably pretty much all the expectation for goals will end up falling to him), as Williams and the club's other forwards just aren't offering enough up front. I'm not quite sure who could be brought in. Bruce Djiite is out of contract at the end of the season, so perhaps Melbourne City should make a play for him. Djite's goal scoring history over the past 3 and half seasons in the A-League is roughly the same as Williams', however I think Djite can score more different types of goals, and I reckon Djite is the kind of striker who would be pretty well suited to Melbourne City's style of football. Also, Djite can create goals for others, with Djite providing 8 assists over the past 3 and a half seasons at Adelaide, whereas Williams has only provided 2 assists over the past 3 and half seasons at Melbourne City/Heart.  

Maybe Williams will come good when Kennedy joins the team. Williams IMO seems to be a goal-threat when there are no real expectations on him (and often his team), like at North Queensland Fury and at Melbourne Heart last season when the team was rooted to the bottom of the table. So perhaps with Kennedy shouldering most of the expectations we'll see better from Williams.

Williams' flat form really isn't helping the team, so hopefully there's some sort of change soon.

I do think Williams is better suited sniffing around the feet of a true target man like Kennedy, rather than being the target man himself.

Not sure how that would work best however in the system we play.

I'm not sure what system we play...

Good point... not sure if any of the players do either tbh.

What about Marino? He has scored from open play once (matching Williams) and squandered some other opportunities (matching Williams). Just a shame that he is injured. Could come off as a sub and get some game time.

Marino has had four appearances, all off the bench, for a total of 72 minutes on the field. One goal. 19 years old.

Hardly fair to compare him with Williams and Dugandzic.

Williams is the player in our squad who offers the least bang for our buck. To think that he was our Oz Marquee until this year is startling. I only hope that we can find him a new home and spend whatever money we are wasting on him on somebody who can actually score goals, and/or at least has a footballing brain. Ramsay and Redders can go with him to A-League obscurity too.

• Like 2

What about Marino? He has scored from open play once (matching Williams) and squandered some other opportunities (matching Williams). Just a shame that he is injured. Could come off as a sub and get some game time.

Marino has had four appearances, all off the bench, for a total of 72 minutes on the field. One goal. 19 years old.

Hardly fair to compare him with Williams and Dugandzic.

I wasn't comparing them - I meant why not bring in Marino for more game time ahead of Mate or Williams. Bring him off the bench and build his career up. In other words I have just about given up on Williams and Mate for this season. And although most people are talking about the January transfer window I rather the club strengthen its defensive stock ahead of the strikers when we are getting Kennedy anyway. Marino is already at the club and so the club does not need to worry about the caps.

• Like 1

From SST:

David Williams has requested and been granted permission to look for other opportunities

https://twitter.com/SocStoppageTime/status/554572320149209088

Franic looking to come back with preference to go to Melbourne. Possibly @MelbourneCity

https://twitter.com/SocStoppageTime/status/554572611946938368

Would be very happy to see both of those moves eventuate.

Thanks Willo.

A superb role model for kids and ambassador for Indigenous youth.

This guy has done so much unsung work with Indigenous communities across the country - a true professional and clearly holds the view that life is indeed bigger than football.

Legend.

Agree with your sentiments generally and specifically here. Professional sports is tough and you can expect things like this to happen. Hope he finds a good fit in some other team.

But at the same time this is great news for us. Can free up a spot for a good acquisition - defensively I hope and if Franjic that would be fine.

But JVS giving Willo a 2 year deal in the first place just goes to show how shite our recruitment/retention has been.

It is interesting to read several pages back in this thread: 

The consensus was that signing Williams under the cap on a new deal was a good move. Indeed, it was almost universally judged a pretty good move, I mean "how couldn't we re-sign one of the joint leading scorers in the league!?!" went the conventional wisdom at the time.

But this season, we are halfway through the season and Williams has only scored 2 goals (and 1 was a pen). He really hasn't kicked on from his 12 goal tally last season, and few tipped William's form to regress so much from last season (myself included).

I wonder now if Williams' has the drive, and puts expectations on himself to do more with his football career. He's 27 next month, and he just doesn't look to me like a player who's really trying to progress, to star in the A-League then get a contract with a European club, and do well there and so on. He looks to me like a player who's happy to just occasionally have a stand out match in the A-League, and occasionally get singled out for praise here. Put another way, the contrast between the way Williams as opposed to Chapman and Melling go about their business is huge. The latter 2 bust a gut seemingly every game, whilst Williams seems to happily chat with the opponents after every game, whether the team wins, loses or draws, and doesn't seem hungry to demand real success with the team. This is the player who infamously said: "If we win, we win. If we lose, we lose".

So I'm a bit keen to see another player come in in place of Williams, and to let another club try to get the most out of the enigmatic Williams. And it wouldn't shock me if the attitude of the team even improved after Williams has gone.

Edited by Murfy1

A move away is probably best for us and him at this point. Any form he had at all last season seems to have completely disappeared and with Kennedy joining the team he's likely to be pushed out to the bench, or one of the wings if he's lucky. Not to mention that he's probably on some decent coin.

If the move eventuates I wish him the best of luck, whatever faults he has he puts in 100% on gameday and has always seemed to me to be a decent bloke. 

Edited by King Malta

I understand where you're all going with this, but unless we sign a back up striker, i dont see this being a good move.

Ok we have Jesus, but what happens if Jesus injures himself walking on water and we need someone to bring in. Marino is a fuftre talent but imo isnt good enough as a back up striker to rely on if the worst case happens.

Franjic from my understanding, would be on loan am i right? If we signed him for a couple of seasons, id be rapt.

• Like 1

Can we shift off ramsay too?

Two for the price of one? Is it possible for an A-League player to be sent on loan to another A-League club with the originating club paying the salary?

No,

No transfers between clubs. The total sapary of a player at their contracted club must count towards the cap for the loaning club. See Lampard, F