Melbourne Football

David Williams

sharpy

Interesting article by Iain Strachan that provides the stats on the 5 top goal scorers in the league last year (whilst talking about Berisha, better know as "the poverty marquee").

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2014/07/03/4930165/the-dossier-berisha-will-guarantee-victory-goals-and-red?ICID=SP

You can see that Willo stacks up pretty well on most criteria, which I guess would surprise a few people.  

Poor passer, can't cross, not clinical in front of goal. Not the ideal attributes for a striker. Although he makes very good runs his final product is usually below par.

If we're planning on him carrying the goalscoring burden once Villa leaves then we could be in a spot of bother.

I suspect that David Williams cops an unfair share of criticism in terms of his efficacy as a striker. I don't know how many times over the past four seasons we've watched Heart, collectively, come out of the blocks at a million miles an hour, squander chance after chance in the first 20 minutes, and then cough up the simplest of goals at the other end. How many times has the match report headline been along the lines "Profligate Heart rue missed chances"?

If we look at the statistics (but let's not bother because it's history) I'd say plenty of our attacking players would look worse than Willo.

It's something the whole squad has to improve on, just like our pretty awful performances in dead-ball situations, inability to cut out crosses into the 6-yard box, etc. etc.

I suspect that David Williams cops an unfair share of criticism in terms of his efficacy as a striker. I don't know how many times over the past four seasons we've watched Heart, collectively, come out of the blocks at a million miles an hour, squander chance after chance in the first 20 minutes, and then cough up the simplest of goals at the other end. How many times has the match report headline been along the lines "Profligate Heart rue missed chances"?

If we look at the statistics (but let's not bother because it's history) I'd say plenty of our attacking players would look worse than Willo.

It's something the whole squad has to improve on, just like our pretty awful performances in dead-ball situations, inability to cut out crosses into the 6-yard box, etc. etc.

Criticisms Williams receives is IMO warranted. He is just too inconsistent to rely upon. His best we all agree is match winning, his worst is woeful. He for whatever reason can't produce consistent performances for any long periods. Last season he had that patch of 4 or 5 games were he could no wrong but the rest was really ordinary. Question remains is he a central striker, winger or a false nine. I don't think he knows. Can he be of value coming off the bench? Just too many questions. After this many games he's played for us we should know. His position and ultimately his carreer could be determined this season, not sure he can handle the pressure and expectations. Time will tell.

Wouldn't mind Williams be striker and Villa be our left winger in our usual 4-3-3 system. Villa has been playing on the wing the last few years at club level and even for Spain. Destroyed Mcgowan in our group match against Spain and set up Torres for a few chances. Would rather him out wide and cutting in and playing Williams through then Williams on the wing and playing average balls to Villa.

Edited by Fredinho69

Wouldn't mind Williams be striker and Villa be our left winger in our usual 4-3-3 system. Villa has been playing on the wing the last few years at club level and even for Spain. Destroyed Mcgowan in our group match against Spain and set up Torres for a few chances. Would rather him out wide and cutting in and playing Williams through then Williams on the wing and playing average balls to Villa.

Why does williams have to start? Duff, Villa and Duga in a front 3 is what I would go with.

• Like 4

I'm very interested to see all of our players improve with the training standard and facilities lifted. In particular David Williams. I think he has always had all the tools to be a great a league player, just was a blank canvas in a lot of areas.

Is he too old to improve? I don't think so. If he can improve technically and his shot accuracy, he could be anything still.

I know I started this thread and it was named 'Sack David Williams Thread', however I think we're all being pretty damn fussy.

He scored 12 goals last year, I am sure that strikers from other clubs squandered chances too, probably more, hence why he scored more goals than most of them.

It's the A-League FFS, I reckon we have a reasonable striker in Willo, not a world beater but good for our league as an Australian player. He didn't even play half the season as our main stiker because Mifsud had that spot.

• Like 1

I know I started this thread and it was named 'Sack David Williams Thread', however I think we're all being pretty damn fussy.

He scored 12 goals last year, I am sure that strikers from other clubs squandered chances too, probably more, hence why he scored more goals than most of them.

It's the A-League FFS, I reckon we have a reasonable striker in Willo, not a world beater but good for our league as an Australian player. He didn't even play half the season as our main stiker because Mifsud had that spot.

Was he not our Aussie marquee for 3 seasons?

Why does williams have to start? Duff, Villa and Duga in a front 3 is what I would go with.

I'm hoping and am confident that Duga lifts his game from last year too. He squandered a lot of chances in front of goal just like Williams so he also needs to improve IMO. I'm sure he probably started last year behind the rest due to his rehab from the prior season's injury and then his confidence would have no doubt been down after a few poor games, but this year with a full preseason, I expect both Williams and Duga to excel. 

And I know this isn't the right thread but since we're talking about wingers, I'm so wrapped to have Duff mainly because it means we don't have to see Ramsey ever in the starting XI! 

Not sure why so many of you are confused by this.

He was our Marquee to free up cap space, not because he was on massive wages. 

Dunno? Was he?

I'm hoping and am confident that Duga lifts his game from last year too. He squandered a lot of chances in front of goal just like Williams so he also needs to improve IMO. I'm sure he probably started last year behind the rest due to his rehab from the prior season's injury and then his confidence would have no doubt been down after a few poor games, but this year with a full preseason, I expect both Williams and Duga to excel. 

And I know this isn't the right thread but since we're talking about wingers, I'm so wrapped to have Duff mainly because it means we don't have to see Ramsey ever in the starting XI! 

Mate was coming good at the end of the Season...

PPL need to remember that the kind of injury he had means that it takes well over a year for his body to start responding they way it did before he injured.

I think we will see a Season Two like Mate when things kick of this year.

• Like 2

Mate was coming good at the end of the Season...

PPL need to remember that the kind of injury he had means that it takes well over a year for his body to start responding they way it did before he injured.

I think we will see a Season Two like Mate when things kick of this year.

Yeah I agree

If Duff is fit for the start of the season, and Villa is here from round 1, you'd assume the front 3 will be: 

Duff - Villa - Dugandzic

Going by his interview, I think he's expecting himself to be used off the bench, where most of us would agree he's most effective.

Regardless, he was our highest paid player. Huge waste of money IMO.

All i want is for him to do what he did against sydney!

I dont care if his only on for 5 minutes. Thats all he has to do.

I'm a Youtube that shit right now.

I'm at work and i cant copy the video on this comment coz they block youtube but im sure you can all do it yourselfs.

#citybitchez

Fair enough. 

Not sure what other Australian player on our list was deserving of more $$$ though. Kisnorbo maybe, Dugandzic when in Season 2 form?

Fair enough. 

Not sure what other Australian player on our list was deserving of more $$$ though. Kisnorbo maybe, Dugandzic when in Season 2 form?

Yeah, agree. He was named our POTY, after all, so he may not have justified whatever his salary was (maybe he did), but others would have probably justified it less. He's not exactly at the level you'd want for your Australian marquee (which is probably part of the reason we finished bottom) and he's not perfect, but at the end of the day, you give that tag to your highest paid Australian. Kewell was on the minimum, so not sure who else was serious competition...Kisnorbo?

At the end of the day, it was a one-year (I assume) anomaly and he would be very long odds to ever be our Australian marquee again, for the rest of his career.

It just couldn't have been more perfect. Not only did Garcia turn the ball over in the middle, but Williams turned him again in the box. 

So glad I was at the game, that Basheer commentary is absolutely dreadful  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

It just couldn't have been more perfect. Not only did Garcia turn the ball over in the middle, but Williams turned him again in the box. 

So glad I was at the game, that Basheer commentary is absolutely dreadful  :rolleyes:

He is awful! so boring! 

So glad I was at the game, that Basheer commentary is absolutely dreadful :rolleyes:

He is awful! so boring!

Still evokes happiness from within, how's behich though slides studs first into team mates lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Willo's getting a bit of a stomach on him again. Seems to put on weight fairly easily if not training.

Noticed this as well.  I presume we have him in a "fat club" programme to get his weight down, but even so its a unprofessional to turn up at pre-season training in that state.

I'd hope he was fined.

I reckon he's just got a very very strong core that only gets stronger during the off season thus creating a more protruding look due to the extra core muscle mass.

I couldn't care less what shape he looks in, same thing happens every season and he still runs faster than anyone and longer than most I'd wager

• Like 1