Melbourne Football

David Williams

sharpy

so now everyone is happy!! looolllll.....like i always say......you farken amazing fans!!! love your dreamers views!!! NOW WILLIAMS IS GREAT....ahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahha......sorry can't stop laughing

9RsysUD.png9RsysUD.png9RsysUD.png

• Like 2

Re-signing this bloke, was definitely a strange move when you have the money and resources that City have. I can't come understand the reasoning behind re-signing this bloke. To me his pathetic. You can't say just because a couple of game he's scored a good goal that he's a good player. He misses some of the easiest chances that people on this forum would score. 

Williams vs Berisha in the battle of the Victorian clubs strikers.

Please sign another striker, City group + JD

This makes the re-signing sound even worse. Your example is perfect, you cannot compare Williams and Berisha. Berisha apart from the temper and behaviour is 3 classes above Williams. In my opinion Williams should have been released as well as Behich, Dugandzic and Hoffman. With these blokes in the starting 11 we'll never be good.

Berisha has had the best midfield that has ever graced the A-League behind him, next year he'll have Leigh Broxham and James Jeggo pulling the strings, wouldn't be getting too far ahead of ourselves just yet.

Mark Milligan, Gui Finkler, Connor Pain... still some quality behind him IMO.

Berisha has had the best midfield that has ever graced the A-League behind him, next year he'll have Leigh Broxham and James Jeggo pulling the strings, wouldn't be getting too far ahead of ourselves just yet.

I take your point he's had a great midfield behind him, but Williams problem is not the service it's his finishing alright. Williams at Roar would be just as shit!

Mark Milligan, Gui Finkler, Connor Pain... still some quality behind him IMO.

As both Milligan and Finkler could easily move on, I'm not overly worried. I just don't understand why everyone thinks that Berisha is going to tear it apart outside of the Brisbane system, everyone else whose come out of there (Murdocca, Solorzano, Barbarouses et al.) have gone on to be solid, more then spectacular after moving away.

Anyways, Williams thread!

Williams shooting makes him a Sub Par Starting Striker for the A League...

However his pace makes him a decent option as a Bench Striker for the A League - I suspect under the new owners that this will be his role for the next two Seasons at Heart.

"Villa-Nuevo: Re-signing this bloke, was definitely a strange move when you have the money and resources that City have."

My comment:

Supporters of any EPL club would be pleased if their club resigned one of the League's leading goal scorers, so would supporters of any Serie A club etc. etc. So I don't know why the grumblings when we have resigned, and in the salary cap, one of this season's A League leading goal scorers. 

Maybe folks would care to explain how with a limit of 5 overseas players, 2 marquees and a $2.55 million salary cap where we can spend our new found wealth on new players? 

It's all very well folks giving a huge list of players that should be replaced, but with the restrictions above in place it doesn't matter how much money we are capable of spending on new players - we are NOT allowed to, so where will we get all the new players from?

• Like 3

Williams shooting makes him a Sub Par Starting Striker for the A League...

However his pace makes him a decent option as a Bench Striker for the A League - I suspect under the new owners that this will be his role for the next two Seasons at Heart.

luckily he isn't taking the aus marquee spot any more :D

I take your point he's had a great midfield behind him, but Williams problem is not the service it's his finishing alright. Williams at Roar would be just as shit!

Poor finishing has been a contagious disease at Heart for our entire existence. Yes, it's the A-League, but the number of chances blazed over the bar by our forwards from inside the 6-yard box is far too many.

As well as the actual finishing, part of it is the style of play. To me our forwards always look as though they're in panic mode - charging forward hoping to latch on to the through ball. The smooth build-up just isn't there most of the time.

Consider the two past home matches. We needed a "generous" penalty to save a point against Phoenix, and a wonder-goal to score against CCM. Contrast all four goals scored against us - yes, a little bit of pace was required, but all were taken with consummate ease - once our defence was beaten the outcome was foregone. You can guarantee that we would have butchered at least two of those chances had they come to us.

"Villa-Nuevo: Re-signing this bloke, was definitely a strange move when you have the money and resources that City have."

My comment:

Supporters of any EPL club would be pleased if their club resigned one of the League's leading goal scorers, so would supporters of any Serie A club etc. etc. So I don't know why the grumblings when we have resigned, and in the salary cap, one of this season's A League leading goal scorers.

Maybe folks would care to explain how with a limit of 5 overseas players, 2 marquees and a $2.55 million salary cap where we can spend our new found wealth on new players?

It's all very well folks giving a huge list of players that should be replaced, but with the restrictions above in place it doesn't matter how much money we are capable of spending on new players - we are NOT allowed to, so where will we get all the new players from?

True, but if he has signed to come off the bench, wouldn't you rather O'Dea or Shroen? They may be inconsistent and make some mistakes becuase they are youth, but it would be no difference to Williams, other than they will develop more and become much better.

Supporters of any EPL club would be pleased if their club resigned one of the League's leading goal scorers, so would supporters of any Serie A club etc. etc. So I don't know why the grumblings when we have resigned, and in the salary cap, one of this season's A League leading goal scorers. 

Just like how we remember a defenders mistake, but forget to 10 great stops they do in a game, Williams, for all the goals he has, should have 3 times as much if he was a good striker. One of the top scores in the league means jack shit, someone has to score the goals and most of the time he has been on the end of tap ins, rather than a good strike, or some individual brilliance from himself to set up a goal.

Maybe folks would care to explain how with a limit of 5 overseas players, 2 marquees and a $2.55 million salary cap where we can spend our new found wealth on new players? 

It's all very well folks giving a huge list of players that should be replaced, but with the restrictions above in place it doesn't matter how much money we are capable of spending on new players - we are NOT allowed to, so where will we get all the new players from?

Easy. We can either:

a) sign a visa striker from overseas and have williams come of the bench (which i think will happen)

OR

b ) Give a kid a go, fuck he couldn't be much worse than Williams is now.

At the end of the season i'm going to make a video showing all his misses because quite clearly people on here have selective memory and need to be shown how awful of a player he is

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

Willo should be strapped to an electric chair and made to watch footage of Henrique calmly putting the ball away in the net with 2 quick touches, unfazed, calmly and with precision while he had 6 defenders and the goalie in front of him.

If he understands the process and promises to deliver half as good as that, then send a quick jolt through the muppet before releasing him.......just for the giggles.

Edited by Jestr
  • Like 1

Let us not forget about his woeful first touch. Usually takes the ball 5m away from himself. He also struggles to pass back when he is in the back to goal role. It is usually a very shit pass which heaps pressure on the receiver leading us to miss opportunities and pass back to the defence or turn over the ball

really needs to improve his finishing, something I hope with a pre-season at man city will get better.

He seems to just kick and hope when it comes to shooting

first touch also needs to be improved as others have said. I think another thing is his positioning. Many times last night we were in attacking positions and there was no one centrally up front to target.

Let us not forget about his woeful first touch. Usually takes the ball 5m away from himself. He also struggles to pass back when he is in the back to goal role. It is usually a very shit pass which heaps pressure on the receiver leading us to miss opportunities and pass back to the defence or turn over the ball

Last night was a case in point.  Brilliant deep ball (Engelaar?) from the back to him, puts him in the clear for a one on one with the keeper, first touch takes him wide away from the goal, opportunity lost.

Here's a few quick interesting stats. Some are Williams related, and some are not (wasn't sure where else to put them):

90tyqs.png

Total Goals

1. Brisbane      42
2. Adelaide      42
3. Victory         36
4. Wellington   34
5. Sydney        34
6. Heart           32
7. Wanderers  30
8. Mariners      30
9. Newcastle    29
10.Perth          22

2cfqfqo.png

hweadw.png

2n67xie.png

160afrd.png

My 2 cents. The above stats are a little more evidence that the better and more successful teams and players simply do more with less. I was rather surprised to see how many shots Heart have had, but it's somewhat understandable, and it validates that feeling that Heart have been very profligate in front of goal. Meanwhile, whilst David Williams has been as good as some other top Australian scorers when it comes to converting shots on goal into goals (curiously, Berisha, despite being a top 5 goalscorer, doesn't even register on the top 5 for shots on goal), I'm pretty sure he hasn't got nearly enough shots on target given the total shots he's taken.

Good to see Dugandzic getting 7 assists so far this season. He's been pretty handy in that regard, and hopefully he continues to improve as a chance creator in the future (it maybe doesn't fully excuse his own misses in front of goal, but it does make them not too bad IMO).

Here's a few quick interesting stats. Some are Williams related, and some are not (wasn't sure where else to put them):

90tyqs.png

Total Goals

1. Brisbane      42
2. Adelaide      42
3. Victory         36
4. Wellington   34
5. Sydney        34
6. Heart           32
7. Wanderers  30
8. Mariners      30
9. Newcastle    29
10.Perth          22

2cfqfqo.png

hweadw.png

2n67xie.png

160afrd.png

My 2 cents. The above stats are a little more evidence that the better and more successful teams and players simply do more with less. I was rather surprised to see how many shots Heart have had, but it's somewhat understandable, and it validates that feeling that Heart have been very profligate in front of goal. Meanwhile, whilst David Williams has been as good as some other top Australian scorers when it comes to converting shots on goal into goals (curiously, Berisha, despite being a top 5 goalscorer, doesn't even register on the top 5 for shots on goal), I'm pretty sure he hasn't got nearly enough shots on target given the total shots he's taken.

Good to see Dugandzic getting 7 assists so far this season. He's been pretty handy in that regard, and hopefully he continues to improve as a chance creator in the future (it maybe doesn't fully excuse his own misses in front of goal, but it does make them not too bad IMO).

Thanks for the stats. This makes me wonder what can be done to improve the situation - Williams may squander too many shots but how does he improve? Can he improve or is he just too old?

I don't think Williams will ever be consistent. He imo is a total confidence player. When he hits a patch he is unstoppable. Sadly it will only be 5 to 8 games per season. He Should only be used sparingly off the the bench. Dilemma JVS faces how do you do this without affecting his confidence. Those that follow AFL he reminds me of Rioli from the Hawks.

As has already been noted consistency is the big problem with Williams. I know he has scored" 11 goals but 2 of them were penalties and the ones he has missed.... !!

When he is good he is very good but when he is bad he is bloody awful. This is not something that can be trained out of him, he is what he is. Maybe this is what a-league currently is but it's not what we want nor, I presume, do MCFC. However he has always been best off the bench and perhaps that's how they see him being used. I still remain expectant that there will be good signings over the off season and that will include a striker who can bury chances.

Can Willo improve?

Depends on what's wrong I guess.   The answer to "what's wrong" isn't as obvious as it seems.  The thing is, sometimes his touch is exquisite, other times its like the ball bounced off a brick wall.  

This is what makes the guy an enigma.  I don't know the answer, I wish I did.

If he didn't have that occasional exquisite touch I'd say no he can't improve.  When you study coaching you find they say it takes about 10 years to develop your touch and technique - that's why its critical you start young and get it right early on.  

In regards to whether he can be a starting striker next year, the odds are we will bring in a well credential marquee striker (either foreign or Oz) that the coaching staff thinks is good for >15 goals per season.   Willo would be back up/bench/winger support to a guy like that.    

I don't think Williams will ever be consistent. He imo is a total confidence player. When he hits a patch he is unstoppable. Sadly it will only be 5 to 8 games per season. He Should only be used sparingly off the the bench. Dilemma JVS faces how do you do this without affecting his confidence. Those that follow AFL he reminds me of Rioli from the Hawks.

I agree that Williams is very much a confidence player, who is agonisingly inconsistent (probably even inconsistent by A-League standards, which is saying something).

Williams has actually only scored in 6 games this season, not including pens, out of his 24 appearances (goals he's scored: 2 against CCM, 1 WSW, 1 SFC, 1 PG, 3 WP, 1 MV). He's only scored in 5 games, if one discounts that cross-turned-shot against WSW.

Also, he's hasn't scored a single header this season. In fact, apart from Kisnorbo (2) and Dugandzic (1), no player has scored a header this season (although Kalmar unintentionally scored with his face). From open play, Heart have had more crosses unintentionally result in goals (2) than Heart have actually scored goals from crosses not on the ground (1). More evidence that Heart has to improve on 'the basics', with such woeful heading. Especially for a team that likes to utilise wide players, Heart really needs to become more of a threat in the air.

My own personal favourite stat that shows how Williams is a confidence player that only scores at particular times is that Williams never really takes responsibility and scores Heart's opening goal. Apart from the tap in against CCM (after the keeper spilled Golgol's shot, and there was an open goal), and his cross that unintentionally went in against WSW, Williams has not this season comes up with the goods to score the opening goal. How different might the last game have been if Williams had scored his simple 1-on-1 with the keeper, rather than the team having to rely on the likes of Behich to score the first goal? Indeed, how many games might have been different if Williams took some of his good chances to score opening goals for Heart?

So Williams as he currently is is a real limited forward, who only scores at very specific times and in specific ways. Maybe Williams will significantly improve, who knows, but the club can't afford to bank on that happening. The widespread feeling that Heart need a new attacking presence up front is right, and that Williams is currently among the league's top goal scorers says more about the league than it does about Williams (just as how Brockie was 2nd highest goal scorer last season, with an impressive 16 goals, and he has been no where near the top scorers this season). Kudos to Williams for notching 11 goals this season, but Heart desperately need to bring in more firepower to help the team in the final third.

Murf, I think you will find if you go back thought the records (not suggesting you do though!) that Heart has a very poor record over four seasons as far as headers goes - we have rarely scored that way.

I'm sure that you would agree that many of the other things that you mention are not restricted to Williams. The words "profligate" and "wasteful" have been in many headlines. Nor are "the basics" restricted to heading - I might mention our repeated wastefulness with crosses, free-kicks and corners.

IMO it is time that these "basics" were fixed. One of the reasons other teams beat us is because even though their players might not have a great armoury of skills they do the basics well. With the re-appointment of JvS we have to hope that his visit to Manchester and the Academy is going to open his eyes to some new training methodology, and if at least some of the players go over at some point maybe they might get a few pointers.

• Like 2

If it takes 10 years for our players to develop touch and technique, then they're teaching the kids wrong or picking the wrong kids!

Choose kids who are light footed and agile.

Get a skills coach form the Balkans, because as nutso as they can be, when apart from Kresinger did you see a Croat, or Serb even the Maco's with poor touch and technique?

Its actually not that hard to improve: just as the incoming ball hits the foot, move that foot in the same directions as the ball is travelling ie towards you, about 30 cm.  This cushions the impact and draws the ball in close to the body.  I guarantee the ball will stick to you boot.

Much of the time I see players trapping a pass with the foot moving in the opposite direction ie towards the ball.  Simply physics tells you the ball will bounce off in front.  What I don't get is the keep doing it and expect a different outcome.