Melbourne Football

David Williams

sharpy

This season: 6 goals from 17 games.  A goal every 194 minutes (compares favourably with our club record holder, one J. Aloisi who scored a goal every 181 minutes.) 

Now equal highest goal scorer with 12, being equal with Eli Babalj.

I think Willo's return this year has been excellent, especially considering he has only rarely played as a striker, having spent the majority of his time at #10 or on the wing. 

• Like 1

I don't really want Babalj back, was never a massive fan of the bloke... 

He has an exceptional touch and a freakish ability on the ball but he frustrates the crap out of me with his inability to pass the ball to team mates in open space.

Probably in the minority though

• Like 1

He's either staying next year on minimum wages like Harry and used as a super sub like that dick Haliti, or ManC gonna snap him up to use him as a boot polisher and mobile training cone. There'll be no place for him when we get Dimitar Berbatov and bring back Eli Babalj :)

Fuck we've already stopped playing one spastic striker, lets not bring back another one. 

Willo was pretty shit today tbh. He touched the ball all of about four times for his whole stint, turned the ball over twice and applied very little defensive pressure. Even his goal was the result of his own shit finish. Hit the ball straight at the keeper and was then immensely lucky that it fell on his head and Vuckovic was too much of a spastic to punch the ball.

Mediocre player who fools people into thinking he's better than he is by pulling something out of his ass every now and then.

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 2

Cannot believe some of the bullshit im reading, are you people completely oblivious to the fact that he cant pass to save himself, decision making is shite 9times out of 10, inconsistant as fuck and cannot finish to save himself (which was eviden with the goal today, it was all LUCK that he scored). Glad this will be his last season with us because we cannot afford to have players who pull shit of their arses every 6-7 games and do fuck all a majority of the time.

• Like 2

I don't really want Babalj back, was never a massive fan of the bloke... 

He has an exceptional touch and a freakish ability on the ball but he frustrates the crap out of me with his inability to pass the ball to team mates in open space.

Probably in the minority though

A lot of talent, fuck he was/is a whiny shit though. Learn to smile!

However, happy blokes like Mifsud probably shit me more.

• Like 1

Cannot believe some of the bullshit im reading, are you people completely oblivious to the fact that he cant pass to save himself, decision making is shite 9times out of 10, inconsistant as fuck and cannot finish to save himself (which was eviden with the goal today, it was all LUCK that he scored). Glad this will be his last season with us because we cannot afford to have players who pull shit of their arses every 6-7 games and do fuck all a majority of the time.

Too right.  I can do that every day, you could set your watch by it in fact.

Dave achieved a few things today:

• Equalled Babalj's record of 9 goals in a season
  • Passed Babalj as Heart's highest scorer
  • Scored our first hat trick
  • Vindicated my support for the guy

Dave has always had the talent - its the random application of it that have frustrated fans.  

Did you think Mifsud's hat trick had any influence?  He'd know there is competition for places now.

So is he still a mediocre player guys?  ;)

I actually reckon he's a smokey for a call-up against Ecuador, Ange always reminds us that he picks his teams based on players in form and no Australian player in the A-League is in better form than Willo at the moment.

3 good games does not a fantastic player make. Talk to Chris Sutton.

In saying that, its so good to see some of this potential of his come out on a regular basis.

exactly right mate. the first half in particular for me anyway, outside of the goal he scored he was really average. Butchered a great chance, and constantly had poor touch after poor touch, preventing us from pushing forward a couple of times.

he had a great second half but still think he is most useful off the bench.

Willo was, like last week, not particularly great, passes weren't the best at times, lost control of the ball a few times as well. But if that's the trade off for him to score every game like this, I'll fuckin take it!

Stand by my comments. Rather 90% of the time he's woeful but scores brilliant goals every game than he's brilliant but doesn't put away goals.

Is easily the player that gets into the most goal scoring positions. It's what he does once in those goal scoring positions that can be frustrating. He could be well into the teens in terms of goals scored by now with some of the chances he has butchered this year. Now he is finishing his chances more regularly he has rocketed up the scoring charts. Hopefully he can keep it up.

2010-2011: John Aloisi       -  8 goals, 20 games, 1446 min (goal 0.40 game, goal per 181 minutes)

2011-2012: Eli Babalj       -    9 goals, 22 games, 1591 min ( goal 0.41 game, goal per 177 minutes)

2012-2013: Josip Tadic       - 6 goals, 22 games, 1569 min (goal 0.27 game, goal per 262 minutes)

2013-2014: David Williams -9 goals, 18 games, 1254 min (goal 0.50 game, goal per 139 minutes) 

• Like 3

After today's impressive performance, it's a bit hard to remember why people doubted Williams at all. And his numbers are starting to look good for this season (hopefully his can keep up this form over the remaining games).

But if you look at the statistics across Williams' 3 seasons, you see why he's been questioned (stats for Aloisi and Babalj there for comparison):

John Aloisi

2010-11  

Games played  20            

Games started 17            

Minutes            1446        

Goals               8              

Total goals per game ratio   0.4  

Total goal per minutes ratio 181 

Eli Babalj

2010-11  2011-12 

Games played 13            22      

Games started 1             18      

Minutes            414         1591    

Goals               2             9       

Total goals per game ratio  0.31  

Total goal per minutes ratio 182 

David Williams

2011-12  2012-13 2013-14

Games played 17          24           18

Games started 7            20           14

Minutes            800       1832        1254

Goals               1            5             9

Total goals per game ratio   0.25

Total goal per minutes ratio 259

His finishing has been impressive this season, and I hope he keeps it up for the remaining games, but he's almost played twice as many minutes as Babalj, and he only has 4 more goals to show for it.

I also question Williams' ball skills, passing ability and decision making. I think there's a reason why JVS was (and still is) reluctant to play Williams, and I believe it's because he shares similar concerns. Williams doesn't seem to me to be a well rounded player, which is ideal to play possession football/'good football'.

If Williams was a young player, you could overlook the fact that it's taken him 3 seasons to get going, and you could judge Williams to be an exciting prospect. But he'll be 26 in less than 2 weeks.

Rumours about him being unhappy at Heart (despite Davutovic reporting him to be on bloated Australian marquee wages) don't help his cause, either.

Despite my doubts about Williams, if he can keep up his good form then he might well be worth re-signing (not as an Aussie marquee on big wages, though). Given that this is just the A-League, it might be worth holding onto Williams, even if he has some weaknesses. If he can somehow keep on scoring regularly, then he's probably good enough for the A-League.
  • Like 1

Murf,

You've overlooked Babalj last year in your stats.  Didn't get a great return then.  I have him on 208 min/goal now for us.

Something was seriously wrong with Williams in his first season.  We'll probably never know what it was,

Other than that you should remember Willo has hardly played at striker where as thats pretty much the only place that Babalj and Aloisi played.

Guys, guys, guys!

Let's not forget the incredible Michael Mifsud here...

14 Games, 1039 Minutes, 1 Goal, 1039 Minutes Per Goal, 0.086 goals a game.

Something was seriously wrong with Williams in his first season.  We'll probably never know what it was,

Fat.

​Plus he lost his powers when he cut his hair...

David%2BWilliams%2B2011%2B12%2BLeague%2BMelbourne+Heart+Headshots+VibxIAs6P73l.j

Edited by LR9

Pretty much the barometer of our club. Looks amazing everytime we win, looks atrocious when we lose. Still believe we get the best out of him when he has something to prove, being on the fringe of our XI if you will. Hasn't shown much when given a consistent run of full 90's week in, week out ala Mebrahtu.

Murf,

You've overlooked Babalj last year in your stats.  Didn't get a great return then.  I have him on 208 min/goal now for us.

Other than that you should remember Willo has hardly played at striker where as thats pretty much the only place that Babalj and Aloisi played.

Fair comment about Williams position. Although I don't think that fully explains his stats.

You're right I forgot about about Babalj under Aloisi, and you're right that brings his stats goals per mins ratio from 182 to 208. Which is probably further evidence that Aloisi dramatically lowers everyones performances and stats. That's pretty much the main message I takeaway whenever I look at Melbourne Heart statistics! Without JA, it'll be interesting to see just how much players improve.

Edited by Murfy1