Melbourne Football

David Williams

sharpy

Been our best so far this year.  Probably the only player who has flourished under this gaffer and now looks like he is improving on the player we signed from NQF (instead of being a shadow).  Am predicting he will go past Babalj as our No. 1 goal scorer by end of the season.

Just don't cut that hair Willo!

He plays better centrally I think, even though he's usually played on a wing but he aint no number 10. I've thought that we should play him as a 9. A false 9 would be too sophisticated for JA to implement

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

He plays better centrally I think, even though he's usually played on a wing but he aint no number 10. I've thought that we should play him as a 9. A false 9 would be too sophisticated for JA to implement

Yep.  Easily our best choice at No. 9.  Struggling to understand why he hasn't been given the gig, even if only for the last 20 of a game. 

If I remember correctly he was rather poor in pre-season when he was played as a no 9 a few times. But despite that, I think we should have played him a bit this season as our 9, especially because Misfud has missed some games, Dmac has been injured all season and Golgol hasn't stepped up to the role.

I think Williams could do pretty well as our no 9 because IMO he's a confidence player, and IMO he's as confident now as he's ever been at Heart.

Unfortunately I expect JA to keep playing him where he shouldn't be played, in midfield, for the time being.

This is a player who has had three years to make an impression. Is it coincidence that only now, in the final year of a 3-yr contract he's actually showing something? I'm a bit cynical about him TBH. By all means he should be played at no. 9 - if we go back to when he was signed that's what he wanted.

But longer-term we need someone who is more consistent.

Where are our young strikers being developed in the youth team?

Been our best so far this year.  Probably the only player who has flourished under this gaffer and now looks like he is improving on the player we signed from NQF (instead of being a shadow).  Am predicting he will go past Babalj as our No. 1 goal scorer by end of the season.

Just don't cut that hair Willo!

LOL... sadly very true

David Williams has been impressive this season, but perhaps that only because in past seasons he's been so underwhelming:

2lu72bd.jpg

And according to Fox Sports Match Centre, Williams has taken 20 shots this season to score his 4 goals. And whilst I'm glad he's notched 4 goals this season, it should be noted that the last goal was a cross, the goal before that was a penalty and the first 2 were tap ins.

I think he's got potential, but this is the season where Heart players have to prove their potential or go. We've all waited for too long for Heart players to realise their potential. I hope Williams can keep up his current goal scoring record (even if not all goals strictly come through individual quality), as that might see him have a good future at this club.

David Williams has been impressive this season, but perhaps that only because in past seasons he's been so underwhelming:

2lu72bd.jpg

And according to Fox Sports Match Centre, Williams has taken 20 shots this season to score his 4 goals. And whilst I'm glad he's notched 4 goals this season, it should be noted that the last goal was a cross, the goal before that was a penalty and the first 2 were tap ins.

I think he's got potential, but this is the season where Heart players have to prove their potential or go. We've all waited for too long for Heart players to realise their potential. I hope Williams can keep up his current goal scoring record (even if not all goals strictly come through individual quality), as that might see him have a good future at this club.

In other words his good for a run on a Winter Card in the City or in a County Cup but his never going to be racing on Derby Day.

2lu72bd.jpg

And when you consider that our other three goals were from Migliorini, one of which was a deflected free-kick, and the other two of which could have ended up anywhere between Row Z and the corner flag...

...it's not surprising that we're propping up the table.

It's clear that what JA and his coaching team do not do is look at the underlying statistics behind our performances. Well, just one of the things that they do not do.

Agree it's no surprise at all we're propping up the table. We've played a third of our season, and NONE of our forwards have score a single goal (Williams has scored, but that was from the no 10 position)! It's remarkable really.

It's been one of those football ironies that one of Australia's best strikers can't coach any of our forwards to score a single goal in 9 matches.

Williams is pretty much a gaurenteed lock in our starting 11, but reality is that he wouldnt be a first 11 player at any other A-League club. This shows how poor our front line really is, and how our squad isnt as strong as some make it out to be on this forum. Don't know why people keep pointing to his NQF form, they were rubbish, he was one of a few who had any sort of ability is that team, and plus the A-League as a whole has improved greatly since those days. If we want to improve our squad and ability, players like Williams should be squad players and not one of our first names on the team sheet. He is one of many that we have.

• Like 2

Williams is pretty much a gaurenteed lock in our starting 11, but reality is that he wouldnt be a first 11 player at any other A-League club. This shows how poor our front line really is, and how our squad isnt as strong as some make it out to be on this forum. Don't know why people keep pointing to his NQF form, they were rubbish, he was one of a few who had any sort of ability is that team, and plus the A-League as a whole has improved greatly since those days. If we want to improve our squad and ability, players like Williams should be squad players and not one of our first names on the team sheet. He is one of many that we have.

If Bridge and Kresinger can start in a title winning team, Dave certainly can start in any team in the league.

• Like 1

Bridge is a proven a league performer at 2 clubs, a much better player than Williams.

Kresinger was there to play a role and he did that to an extent. Wsw knew they could do better than him, they didn't have to keep him around for 3 seasons to know that he is a dud.

You are kidding yourself if you think Williams can be a best 11 starter at another A-league club. Would be no more than a squad player if he went anywhere else, that is as a no.9, 10, or wide player.

• Like 1

There is something I like about Williams. As Murphy 1 has said in another thread, our system makes most of our players look bad. One thing JA has done is give Dave back his confidence which he rightly lost under JVS. In a system that worked and with a manager who believes in him, Williams would do well. We have 50% of the equation right.

Bridge is a proven a league performer at 2 clubs, a much better player than Williams.

Kresinger was there to play a role and he did that to an extent. Wsw knew they could do better than him, they didn't have to keep him around for 3 seasons to know that he is a dud.

You are kidding yourself if you think Williams can be a best 11 starter at another A-league club. Would be no more than a squad player if he went anywhere else, that is as a no.9, 10, or wide player.

Bridge: spud

Kresinger: spud

WSW: Wins title, starting several spuds. System > individuals.

Williams could start at most clubs and be successful.

On that graph, am I the only person who saw that an extra thousand minutes on the park only generated 4 more goals?

That's fucking woeful and enough of a reason why he shouldn't play as a striker.

0 assists as a winger who generally plays on the left and cuts inside to get a final ball in also doesn't cut the mustard...

Yes understandably he's had a good start this season but just like any player who primarily uses pace to get at defenders, he will be figured out..

A penalty

An cross that wasn't at all defended

And a couple tap ins from 4 yards doesn't qualify him enough to be our lone striker...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This cunt has got to be one of the most over-rated footballers in A-League history. He is fucking USELESS and ive been saying that since the day we signed him. Release this peice of garbage at the end of the season. Has shown nothing for 2 and a half years under the Red and White and tonight just summed up his stay here in Melbourne. Fucking SHIT

• Like 2

This is the player Aloisi has supported the most, and look how he's playing. He's started every game, hasn't he (I'm pretty sure he's at least played in every game)?

He couldn't pass to save his own life. He often takes too many touches (and took even more than usual tonight), and he's very profligate with his finishing (look at the table above).

You shouldn't build a team around Williams, and JA has tried to do that for most of this season, and look whats happened.

I think he can play better, but not much better than how he's gone this season. I agree, he's overrated, and it's criminal how little Garuccio has featured in our squads, and how often Williams and Ramsay have played.

Edited by Murfy1

As I thought, Aloisi has played Williams in every single game for a total of (at least) 1024 minutes. And he's only been subbed off twice before the Wellington game (once at 64 minutes, and once at the end of the match, at 88 minutes).

If I recall correctly, he gave Williams a handshake as he subbed him off last night, whereas he didn't shake hands or acknowledge Behich and Kalmar.

Williams can be a better player, but he is certainly not a player who deserves such almost unconditional support.

It just seems so unfair on every other winger at the club, and especially Garuccio. Aloisi simply has no idea how to get the most out of his players.

Edited by Murfy1