Melbourne Football

David Williams

sharpy

I will put a good word in for Willo

He ran all night, he chased and harassed, put pressure on the opposition, did he make mistakes, yes, but he did the hard yards that were needed

And it wasn't unusual.  He does this pretty much every week.  Its an important contribution.

Another goal or two by this point in this season would be good though.

His effort can't be questioned.

Its his quality thats questionable.

And you know what- I don't think his effort is quite as good as people think it is. When we have the ball he never makes the right run- especially if that run is a lung-busting one, in behind the defence or to open up space for someone else. He just stands there- stagnant. Can't wait till we have Kennedy ( and he stands there in the middle, but can actually control it/hold it up/bring others into the game- and knows why he IS standing there). Williams is junk- (apart from 1 game in 15 when he is pretty darn good).

They say Berisha is very good off the ball.

ie. he cuts the defenders angles, or makes diverting runs.

On Saturday Berisha got a lesson from Williams.

Williams' work off the ball - and even his work as the first line of defence was fantastic.

i even saw Williams trek some defenders all the way to our defensive line.

A grade performance.

Had many chances to put players in behind or shoot and instead held the ball up and turned it over. Genuinely the worst player on the pitch with the ball at his feet.

But he pressured really hard and created turnovers.

Very mixed game tbh. I'd rather have a striker who looks like scoring. Josh Kennedy should hopefully do the trick.

• Like 1

Williams' work off the ball - and even his work as the first line of defence was fantastic.

A grade performance.

If only there wasn't a ball in football Williams would be OKAY, and your post would make any sense

• Like 1

Seemed to me we were always looking to cut the ball back to Melling or Mooy to have a crack from distance rather than play in Williams or Dugandzic.

Yep, and whilst being arguably our two best players this season both have a poor goalscoring record for the amount of shots they average. Mooy very stiff not to score sat night, cracking save by coma.

A grade performance.

If only there wasn't a ball in football Williams would be OKAY, and your post would make any sense

Exactly right. Fuck u10's can run around a put pressure on their opponents, what the actual fuck does he do with the ball?

I noticed a couple times (especially in the first half) he had the chance to play the ball through to a 1 on 1 but just didn't have the skill or awareness to do so.

Happen to catch the A-League highlights show?

Specifically there was a nice focus on the work off the ball from Williams.  A good 3 min of a 30 min show specifically showing three occasions where he would press the defenders to cause a turn over. 

And this was from Rudan, who is not slouch when it comes to footballing tactics.

If you don't like Williams then just say it - but nobody can discredit his role on Saturday.

Happen to catch the A-League highlights show?

Specifically there was a nice focus on the work off the ball from Williams.  A good 3 min of a 30 min show specifically showing three occasions where he would press the defenders to cause a turn over. 

And this was from Rudan, who is not slouch when it comes to footballing tactics.

If you don't like Williams then just say it - but nobody can discredit his role on Saturday.

I don't like David Williams as a player- he was also rubbish on Saturday. But oh gosh he can press with the best of them. Again, too bad when we press well-  we then get the ball back.

Edited by tommac

David William's goal-scoring record, looked at season by season:

6tirzt.jpg

Unfortunately, last season is starting to look more like an anomaly, rather than a sign of Williams' finishing improving.

In my opinion Williams is more of a winger than a striker. He doesn't have a great first touch, which strikers need to hold up play, he isn't good when surrounded by players, but Williams is good when he has open space he can run into, and he isn't good when he's got his back to goal (in no small part due to the first 2 points), but Williams is effective when he's facing goal and he can go on one of his powerful runs attacking goal.

And I think yesterday's assist proves my point. Williams was positioned out wide near the sideline, and received the ball with him facing goal, and then Williams impressively ran at goal and laid the ball off for a good assist for Mooy's goal.

If Koren is fit, I'd consider dropping Ramsay and playing Williams as a LW, and playing Koren as a false 9. Koren's playing history shows he's a goal threat, and given that we have no reliable strikers ATM and ample midfield talent, I believe the team should set up in a way that utilises a lot of midfielders, such as a 4-3-3 system with a false 9, so as to play up the team's strengths (midfielders) and to downplay the team's weaknesses (strikers).

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 3

David William's goal-scoring record, looked at season by season:

6tirzt.jpg

Unfortunately, last season is starting to look more like an anomaly, rather than a sign of Williams' finishing improving.

In my opinion Williams is more of a winger than a striker. He doesn't have a great first touch, which strikers need to hold up play, he isn't good when surrounded by players, but Williams is good when he has open space he can run into, and he isn't good when he's got his back to goal (in no small part due to the first 2 points), but Williams is effective when he's facing goal and he can go on one of his powerful runs attacking goal.

And I think yesterday's assist proves my point. Williams was positioned out wide near the sideline, and received the ball with him facing goal, and then Williams impressively ran at goal and laid the ball off for a good assist for Mooy's goal.

If Koren is fit, I'd consider dropping Ramsay and playing Williams as a LW, and playing Koren as a false 9. Koren's playing history shows he's a goal threat, and given that we have no reliable strikers ATM and ample midfield talent, I believe the team should set up in a way that utilises a lot of midfielders, such as a 4-3-3 system with a false 9, so as to play up the team's strengths (midfielders) and to downplay the team's weaknesses (strikers).

could not agree more