Melbourne Football

David Williams

sharpy

I think hoff has a good attitude, he's won the club man award or whatever it is and seems to be passionate about the heart/city. He's probably just not a first team player and I hope we do release him.

There's a 'good' or nice attitude, and there's a good or winning or professional attitude. IMO Hoffman is definitely the former; he seems a nice guy and a top bloke, doubt I seriously doubt that Hoffman helps the team have a winning or professional attitude.

I even think the club signing so many nice guys might have made it more difficult for the team to get that winning/professional

attitude. Nice guys like Hoffman and Williams seem to try to keep themselves and everybody smiling, even if the team is losing, or even when the team hasn't won an away match in over a year, and so on.

I'm sure there are some players who are both nice guys with winning/professional attitudes, but IMO the club has signed lots of nice guys who are media friendly--Hoffman, Williams Macallister--from the beginning, and I really don't think it's helped create a winning culture at the club (no need to quote Williams' infamous quote for further proof).

The moment the club gets ruthless with these not very talented players, who are nice but not winners (like Hoffman, Redmayne, Williams), then this club will be making real progress. 

I think hoff has a good attitude, he's won the club man award or whatever it is and seems to be passionate about the heart/city. He's probably just not a first team player and I hope we do release him.

There's a 'good' or nice attitude, and there's a good or winning or professional attitude. IMO Hoffman is definitely the former; he seems a nice guy and a top bloke, doubt I seriously doubt that Hoffman helps the team have a winning or professional attitude.

I even think the club signing so many nice guys might have made it more difficult for the team to get that winning/professional

attitude. Nice guys like Hoffman and Williams seem to try to keep themselves and everybody smiling, even if the team is losing, or even when the team hasn't won an away match in over a year, and so on.

I'm sure there are some players who are both nice guys with winning/professional attitudes, but IMO the club has signed lots of nice guys who are media friendly--Hoffman, Williams Macallister--from the beginning, and I really don't think it's helped create a winning culture at the club (no need to quote Williams' infamous quote for further proof).

The moment the club gets ruthless with these not very talented players, who are nice but not winners (like Hoffman, Redmayne, Williams), then this club will be making real progress. 

In the past I haven't said too much in criticism or perhaps even stood up for players when people suspected their attitude was suspect.  After all if you don't know someone, interpreting their body language or media quotes (that are probably out of context) is really only likely to be accurate when you know the person well.

Its pretty clear though there is an attitude problem at the club.  If you look at the players who might be part of that, certainly David Williams seems more of the "happy go lucky" type, fun to hang round with, but not always the best in a scrape.  The odds are he is part of the problem, I'll give you that.

In regards to Jason Hoffman though perhaps you are a bit harsh - I reckon he's always given 100% as far as I could tell.  He has worked hard to learn and perform in a new position too.  The key problem with the Hoff is his 100% is not that great and the question with him basically has always been "is he just good enough to keep because he's cheap" or not.  i think we've now realised we need to move on.

Andrew Redmayne I'm not sure.  I saw no evidence of him improving over 2 seasons, but perhaps that's because he already was at 100%, anyway in his case it is beyond me how he has a professional contract in the first place, so his attitude isn't really a factor either way.

I would have Mate D on the "questionable attitude" list too.  How a guy with his modest talent could think he could get away with being a poor trainer is beyond me.  Its too late here now Mate, get a real job and play kick around in SL2 with your mates from your teens, you'll only need to train when its a full moon, so you should be happy.

In regards to personalities I think you can be a "winner" without being a total arsehole, Damien Duff being a case in point.

In the past I haven't said too much in criticism or perhaps even stood up for players when people suspected their attitude was suspect. After all if you don't know someone, interpreting their body language or media quotes (that are probably out of context) is really only likely to be accurate when you know the person well.

Its pretty clear though there is an attitude problem at the club. If you look at the players who might be part of that, certainly David Williams seems more of the "happy go lucky" type, fun to hang round with, but not always the best in a scrape. The odds are he is part of the problem, I'll give you that.

In regards to Jason Hoffman though perhaps you are a bit harsh - I reckon he's always given 100% as far as I could tell. He has worked hard to learn and perform in a new position too. The key problem with the Hoff is his 100% is not that great and the question with him basically has always been "is he just good enough to keep because he's cheap" or not. i think we've now realised we need to move on.

Andrew Redmayne I'm not sure. I saw no evidence of him improving over 2 seasons, but perhaps that's because he already was at 100%, anyway in his case it is beyond me how he has a professional contract in the first place, so his attitude isn't really a factor either way.

I would have Mate D on the "questionable attitude" list too. How a guy with his modest talent could think he could get away with being a poor trainer is beyond me. Its too late here now Mate, get a real job and play kick around in SL2 with your mates from your teens, you'll only need to train when its a full moon, so you should be happy.

In regards to personalities I think you can be a "winner" without being a total arsehole, Damien Duff being a case in point.

I think paartalu has been a breath of fresh air in that regard. Not afraid to come out and say what the issues are

I think that people are confusing being a nice bloke and being an arsehole on the job. I have found that people who are arseholes get away with it only because others let them - there is nothing like a hammer on your hand and a willingness to use it to see arseholes back down (my old man taught me that trick). But being an agreeable bloke does not mean you have to accept mediocrity - indeed when a "nice" bloke is riled you know you screwed up.

Personally I am not sure that there is an attitude problem with the team but certainly some players do have one (Williams infamous interview is enough to see that) but there is the problem that some players are not talented enough to be in the A-League. Hoffman is a case in point.

And BTW I did see Willo kick IaRocca in the face last season when he was physically brutalising players. Even better was that he was not even carded but did give away a foul. So Willo does have a nasty streak in him.

I think that people are confusing being a nice bloke and being an arsehole on the job. I have found that people who are arseholes get away with it only because others let them - there is nothing like a hammer on your hand and a willingness to use it to see arseholes back down (my old man taught me that trick). But being an agreeable bloke does not mean you have to accept mediocrity - indeed when a "nice" bloke is riled you know you screwed up.

Personally I am not sure that there is an attitude problem with the team but certainly some players do have one (Williams infamous interview is enough to see that) but there is the problem that some players are not talented enough to be in the A-League. Hoffman is a case in point.

And BTW I did see Willo kick IaRocca in the face last season when he was physically brutalising players. Even better was that he was not even carded but did give away a foul. So Willo does have a nasty streak in him.

Agree with all this.

I probably overstated the point about Melbourne Heart/City systemically recruiting nice guys who aren't winners.

Anyway you can put the attitude issue to one side with effectively all of the suggested players, because on playing performance alone most of them are more lucky than deserving to have contracts with Melbourne City.

So it will be interesting to see if the club is 'ruthless' over the off-season, like the insider in Lynch's article said the club will be.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone one else notice Zinni wearing #15? Could Williams finally be gone or am I reading too much into things?

Has to be a good probability. The only problem might be we are paying him too much and he would have to take a significant pay cut to join someone else.

• Like 1

Doubt it. He's been mentioned as injured by JVS in all the pressers.

Will play an important role off the bench this season for sure IMO 

Still using a crutch a week or so ago. I can't see anyone else taking on the risk with him - we were foolish to sign him for three years seeing he'd been released by Sydney after they signed him for their ACL campaign. Will stay this season and then be dumped. Along with quite a few others whose contracts expire in May 2016.

Still using a crutch a week or so ago. I can't see anyone else taking on the risk with him - we were foolish to sign him for three years seeing he'd been released by Sydney after they signed him for their ACL campaign. Will stay this season and then be dumped. Along with quite a few others whose contracts expire in May 2016.

people complain about 1 year deals and then complain about 3 year deals, is 2 years the magic number or is it all just hindsight bias?

• 4 months later...
9 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

So based on the press reports Dave is on the way out.

91 games for us, top scorer with about 26 but you'd have to say he has largely been a disappointment .

Had a few good moments of course, a 12 goal season and "that goal" against Sydney.

I make it 21 goals all told.