kingawesomeness

The "Where are they now?" thread

1,385 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Did he mean to?

He always means to, for once his hands were accidentally in the right place. It helped that it was kicked right to him, mind you that didn't help when he was playing for us.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, belaguttman said:

He always means to, for once his hands were accidentally in the right place. It helped that it was kicked right to him, mind you that didn't help when he was playing for us.

Redmayne was actually a reasonable keeper when he came to us for season 2012-13. He'd played for the Australian U-20 and U-23 sides (25 and 6 matches respectively) and he pushed his way into the A-League team in January 2013 and held the No. 1 spot for the rest of the season on merit.

Seriously, he's just another player who was poorly coached whilst with us. Just in GKs alone we've had both Chris Maynard and Alistair Bray on our books in the past, both very competent  but who went nowhere with us. And we've previously discussed many other young players all over the park who came to us and went downhill thereafter.

Edited by jw1739
2 people like this

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Redmayne was actually a reasonable keeper when he came to us for season 2012-13. He'd played for the Australian U-20 and U-23 sides (25 and 6 matches respectively) and he pushed his way into the A-League team in January 2013 and held the No. 1 spot for the rest of the season on merit.

Seriously, he's just another player who was poorly coached whilst with us. Just in GKs alone we've had both Chris Maynard and Alistair Bray on our books in the past, both very competent  but who went nowhere with us. And we've previously discussed many other young players all over the park who came to us and went downhill thereafter.

One of the things that annoyed me about Redmayne's game that changed under our coacing was that when he first used to make a save he would actually hold the ball when making a save, but come the 2013-2014 season it seems the instructions from the coaches were to punch the ball away, which would usually lead to further and sustained pressure.

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, malloy said:

One of the things that annoyed me about Redmayne's game that changed under our coacing was that when he first used to make a save he would actually hold the ball when making a save, but come the 2013-2014 season it seems the instructions from the coaches were to punch the ball away, which would usually lead to further and sustained pressure.

Yeah I remember he was actually a really good catch, almost overhead marking style reaching it at it's highest point like AFL. it was a nice change from typical keepers who would either catch it with their chest or punch anything away that wasn't chest mark material

1 person likes this

Melling back on the pitch for WSW against Arsenal. Already getting into Granit Xhaka's face.... man I miss him.

4 people like this

7 hours ago, haz said:

Melling back on the pitch for WSW against Arsenal. Already getting into Granit Xhaka's face.... man I miss him.

After watching him again against Arsenal I think it was probably for the best he left. He is very 1 dimensional works hard and is very much in your face but with the ball lacks that extra technical ability and decision making.

Once fit he will become a decent A League squad player. 

8 hours ago, haz said:

I remember his junkyard dog attitude and the rockets from outside the box........I hope he and Gameiro do well this season

1 person likes this

Our ex Irish recruit, Liam Miller, has moved to a club in the Second Division in Malta called Fgura United. What a terrible move for a 36 year old.

1 hour ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Our ex Irish recruit, Liam Miller, has moved to a club in the Second Division in Malta called Fgura United. What a terrible move for a 36 year old.

It's warm and the people are friendly.

1 minute ago, fensaddler said:

It's warm and the people are friendly.

Football wise lol

3 hours ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Football wise lol

What would you rather him do?

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

What would you rather him do?

Surely he could have done better than Maltese second division?

Edited by Hellenic Hero

Cbf going back to see if I mentioned it or someone else did but Gerhardt playing for Nunawading. They're worse than us with Adelaide players. 

5 hours ago, Hellenic Hero said:

genuinely forgot he played for us lol

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Surely he could have done better than Maltese second division?

He wasn't that flash when he played here years ago, let alone now. He's probably just enjoying the warm weather at the end of a long career.

Edited by Jimmy

On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:59 PM, Hellenic Hero said:

I've always thought that if you were a mid range soccer player (pro but nothing special) it would be a great opportunity to travel the world. Spend 1-2 seasons at a club, and experience living in all these different countries and environments. Sorenson is an excellent example of a player who has made the most of his situation, he has clearly used his time with us to explore a new country.

I would imagine that it would be an easier job to do this with the expectation of moving clubs, the fact that your role remains similar throughout and that players seem to get their fair share of downtime.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, The Aardvark said:

I've always thought that if you were a mid range soccer player (pro but nothing special) it would be a great opportunity to travel the world. Spend 1-2 seasons at a club, and experience living in all these different countries and environments. Sorenson is an excellent example of a player who has made the most of his situation, he has clearly used his time with us to explore a new country.

I would imagine that it would be an easier job to do this with the expectation of moving clubs, the fact that your role remains similar throughout and that players seem to get their fair share of downtime.

CC: Erik Paartalu

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

CC: Erik Paartalu

I think Erik is more of the Contiki Tour model.

2 people like this

Chapman in the South Korea team of the week. I think it's his third time selected.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, haz said:

Chapman in the South Korea team of the week. I think it's his third time selected.

That's fantastic. He started so well here but then lost his way. Great to see the change work out for him.

Highlights of Gol Gol Mebrahtu scoring twice in a Europa clash against Shamrock Rovers.

Redders was also trash at WSW so it wasn't all Didulica's doing. Getting the best GK coach in the country working with him at Sydney FC may have helped a bit, but he's hardly the bloke you'd want between the sticks if you're planning on being a contender.

28 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Redders was also trash at WSW so it wasn't all Didulica's doing. Getting the best GK coach in the country working with him at Sydney FC may have helped a bit, but he's hardly the bloke you'd want between the sticks if you're planning on being a contender.

It takes a bit of time to recover from the combined tutelage of JD (Joey) JA and JVS

1 person likes this