Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

33 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

Brisbane? But haven't they got JA leading them?

You are saying that like JA has any ability to coach? He is fking hopeless. The last two seasons at Brisbane is basically their older players in Autopilot and now thats coming home to roost. What did JA do at Heart near the end? filled the team with old blokes who he didn't have to work with to control

Edited by Dylan

2 hours ago, mjake1234 said:

Brisbane? But haven't they got JA leading them?

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

You are saying that like JA has any ability to coach? He is fking hopeless. The last two seasons at Brisbane is basically their older players in Autopilot and now thats coming home to roost. What did JA do at Heart near the end? filled the team with old blokes who he didn't have to work with to control

Whooosh?

Edited by illeatyourheart
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dylan said:

Why is it difficult to recognise sarcasm in a post?

• Like 1

I honestly think JA is  better coach after his bad experiences at MHFC obviously due to the influence of his brother, I think the operation is Brisbane in terms of coaching the senior team is at least as good as the coaching we saw from JVS. 

Is he going to make a GF or something before he is sacked? Highly doubtful... just like how JVS never did.

However, comparisons of the lists JA had at his disposal compared to JVS in his City Seasons are pretty laughable, the bottom four picked in a lot of Heart sides where comprised of very limited players who are at best now List Fillers at other A-League Clubs if not playing in SE Asia or at NPL Level.

28 minutes ago, cadete said:

I honestly think JA is  better coach after his bad experiences at MHFC obviously due to the influence of his brother, I think the operation is Brisbane in terms of coaching the senior team is at least as good as the coaching we saw from JVS. 

Is he going to make a GF or something before he is sacked? Highly doubtful... just like how JVS never did.

However, comparisons of the lists JA had at his disposal compared to JVS in his City Seasons are pretty laughable, the bottom four picked in a lot of Heart sides where comprised of very limited players who are at best now List Fillers at other A-League Clubs if not playing in SE Asia or at NPL Level.

He's undoubtedly improved as a coach since his stint with us. Anyone disputing that has the ole rose coloured glasses on imo. I think we need to at least note his improvement rather than dismissing any results he gets as due to his brother or luck or list or whatever.
In saying that,  i certainly dont rate him as a gaffer whatsoever; i reckon he's behind most of the other guys in terms of blokes that can coach. IMO they'll go close to bottoming out this season. Them or Welly for the spoon imo. 

For the record, JA's overall A-League coaching record is 36.08% win (35 wins from 97 matches).  Almost identical to JvS at 36.11% (52 wins from 144 matches).

Also, so what if his record is good because of his choice of assistant(s)? Isn't that the idea - have assistant(s) who complement you?

Honestly sometimes I look back at MHFC and I was probably right about how stupid the whole #yoof was... because it had a major part in the last two terrible Seasons. Obv I know some will roll their heads at this because it is something I have been harping on about since Hearts first Season.

But I also think that since then the Template to the winning the A-League has become more defined through Ange at the Roar, Muscat with his best MVFC side and now Sydney that the way to win the league is by recruiting Foreigners and Aussies from Aboard who are still near their peaks rather than past Stars. 

JA as he said himself many a time that he went into his First Season thinking we could do well because of the #yoof we had and then the four players he identified as keys to the squad doing well were all sold overseas. This was always going to happen, its written into these players contracts that they can move on for such offers so that is not his or the club's fault and in hindsight that money probably kept us afloat for that last Season.

However it does not forgive him for thinking that he could form a Finals Bound A-League Squad due to having Behich, Good, Eli and Hamill... this was a strategy of having your Number 9 and two CB's all under 22 and history had shown it would not have worked anyway. (Behich is a good Wing-Back, but the other three are all rated very differently since their departures from Heart - With Injuries playing their part.)

The point is the club went on with the #yoof crap from the start and JA brought in to it, which was fucken dumb because a focus on #yoof has become as every year passes even more so not a plausible way to became a Title Challenger or to win games and captivate new fans.

Edited by cadete

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

For the record, JA's overall A-League coaching record is 36.08% win (35 wins from 97 matches).  Almost identical to JvS at 36.11% (52 wins from 144 matches).

Also, so what if his record is good because of his choice of assistant(s)? Isn't that the idea - have assistant(s) who complement you?

At what point (of competency of the assistant and incompetence of the coach) should you just replace the coach with the assisstant though?

I rate RA higher then JA.

2 hours ago, malloy said:

At what point (of competency of the assistant and incompetence of the coach) should you just replace the coach with the assisstant though?

I rate RA higher then JA.

I still haven't found it in my heart to forgive Aloisi for:

* 18 in a row (15 losses I recall)

* never changing his tactics 

* playing long ball to a midget

* never having a Plan B

* never changing his side despite the continued losses

* crapping on at press conferences

*accepting a job he clearly wasn't ready for

I don't doubt that after a period of reflection he is a better coach than he was. Still, that's not hard.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

JVS sitting pretty in 3rd with PEC Zwolle in the Eredivisie after 3 games. He really was the messiah, we were wrong all along. JVS IN

It's one of those four o'clock in the morning thoughts - what if the real problem wasn't JVS, and we haven't actually resolved the problem...

• 3 weeks later...

Gamiero on the mend. Hopefully stays injury free  

Roar forward Corey Gameiro returns to football after three knee reconstructions and 22 months on the sideline

Marco Monteverde, The Courier-Mail
September 17, 2017 10:01pm

COREY Gameiro kept having to remind himself it “wasn’t a World Cup”, but after almost 22 months without a game, a second-half cameo in a weekend trial felt like the most important 20 minutes of his career.

On the comeback trail after a third knee reconstruction, Gameiro finally made his Roar debut in Brisbane’s 2-0 pre-season win over Sydney FC on Saturday.

He hadn’t played since injuring his knee in his former club Melbourne City’s 5-1 win over Perth Glory on November 27, 2015.

That injury led to his second ACL tear and subsequent reconstruction in the space of 12 months.

Worse was to follow when he tore the ACL in his other knee at City’s Townsville training camp in September last year.

“I did everything properly, I don’t take shortcuts with things, so trying to understand why this had happened again to me was hard,” Gameiro said.

Corey Gameiro is back after 22 months away from football. Picture: George Salpigtidis
“People don’t really understand the depth of how hard it is mentally and emotionally.”

But Gameiro, still only 24, refused to give up. He had invested too much time in his career for it to come to a premature end.

All he needed was someone to believe in him and that man was Roar coach John Aloisi, who in July offered Gameiro a one-year deal.

“He was the one who put his hand out to me when I needed it. I really am so thankful and I won’t ever let him down because he didn’t let me down in my time of need,” the former Australian under-23 international striker said.

“There’ll probably never really be a way to be able to truly repay him.”

Gameiro was on an emotional rollercoaster after finding out last week that he would get some game time against Sydney.

“I had to keep telling myself to relax and that I was only playing 20 minutes in a friendly and that it wasn’t a World Cup,” he said.

“But I was extremely excited and really proud that I could be back out there.”

Watching proudly on the sidelines at Sydney’s Macquarie University training ground were Gameiro’s Wollongong-based parents Jenny and Tony.

“They were more scared and nervous than I was,” said Gameiro, who was grateful the ongoing support of his family, his partner Catey, fans, his teammates and the rest of the A-League fraternity.

“That includes players that I don’t even know ringing me. It’s a real testament to the A-League’s culture.”

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Inferno said:

Yep Greek transliteration from the HEBREW name...not Greek name. 

It's the Greek transliteration from the Hebrew name, and it's English spelling is Jesus- which is essentially the same name as Joshua, meaning it's all linked.

On 28/08/2017 at 11:02 AM, City Of Salem said:

You have Christ's name.

Yeshua (Hebrew) > Iesous (Greek/Latin) > Joshua (English) 

As seen above.

Edited by Hellenic Hero