Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

PK followed the footsteps of JvS - steered Troyes to their second win of the season, 2-1 at home to Caen. Troyes out of the bottom four at the moment.

PK was sick, didn't coach this morning, though was in contact via phone with rest of coaching staff...

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This Fornaroli guy looks possessed this season. 

Triggered an online debate earlier this week when Rudan claimed that Fornaroli and Berisha are/have been the 2 most complete strikers ever to play A-league to date. Naturally some people couldn’t resist mentioning JMAC.

44 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

This Fornaroli guy looks possessed this season. 

Triggered an online debate earlier this week when Rudan claimed that Fornaroli and Berisha are/have been the 2 most complete strikers ever to play A-league to date. Naturally some people couldn’t resist mentioning JMAC.

Depends what they are comparing doesn't it? Is it purely goals scored, or goals per game, or does it refer to the skill set that a player has? IIRC Bruno didn't do that well in Perth, and TBH I didn't see Berisha play except in derbies. 

Also of course, the rest of the team have to play to the striker's style of play for him to be outstanding.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Depends what they are comparing doesn't it? Is it purely goals scored, or goals per game, or does it refer to the skill set that a player has? IIRC Bruno didn't do that well in Perth, and TBH I didn't see Berisha play except in derbies. 

Also of course, the rest of the team have to play to the striker's style of play for him to be outstanding.

That’s the difference. Both are better on the ball, have a better conversation ratio and don’t disappear in big games as often - hence the debate who is the  most complete striker.

JMAC has the record.

Berisha and Fornaroli aren’t too far away at goals per games ratio either perhaps.

Edited by Mr MO

• 2 weeks later...

Tommy Glover looks like he will get a bit of a run as starting keeper for Middlesbrough, their current number 1 has a thigh injury and then is likely to go to AFCON with Senegal. As long as Glover doesn't get picked for Asian Cup squad and Senegal go as well as expected, he could be starting up to 6 or 7 league matches as well as any cup games in that time.

• Like 3

On 21/12/2023 at 8:51 AM, neio said:

Tommy Glover looks like he will get a bit of a run as starting keeper for Middlesbrough, their current number 1 has a thigh injury and then is likely to go to AFCON with Senegal. As long as Glover doesn't get picked for Asian Cup squad and Senegal go as well as expected, he could be starting up to 6 or 7 league matches as well as any cup games in that time.

He's played 3 games now (one of which was a cup game against Port Vale) and kept 2 clean sheets and in the game they lost they only conceded 1. I hope he rips it up over there I really do!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattyh001 said:

Stefan Colakovski just scored a peach of an individual goal for Perth against the Mariners.

Such a shame he got frozen out / limited opportunity with us. I'm sure he'd be in for a good shout this season if we'd kept him

Perth lost 4-2 and had two players sent off and a host of yellows. Who owns them now that Sage has walked away?

Edited by jw1739

19 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Perth lost 4-2 and had two players sent off and a host of yellows. Who owns them now that Sage has walked away?

my understanding is that the APL does.  the Glory had been set to be sold mid November but the purchasing party failed to meet presale conditions.  could be wrong though

Glover played for Middlesbrough last night vs. Villa in the FA Cup. Couple of decent saves. No chance with the goal - deflected by a defender.

Gauci played for the Socceroos...

Edited by jw1739

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Glover played for Middlesbrough last night vs. Villa in the FA Cup. Couple of decent saves. No chance with the goal - deflected by a defender.

Gauci played for the Socceroos...

Glover was awarded MOTM by the BBC coverage and on social media Middlesbrough fans are starting to say that their original number 1 isn't guaranteed to gain his spot back when he returns from AFCON. So Tommy must be going pretty well over there 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cremorne said:

Raphael playing well (right now) against Adelaide, showing good strength to hold off his marker 

Much improved once he swapped wings with Drew who also improved. Still his end product needs to continue to improve by a better final cross or shots on target (when he hit the upright that was so close).

2 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Ffaarrkkkk and they beat Chelsea with Glover rated MOM on fotmob!!!

Instead of no coaches, he's probably working with three instead lol, but good on him, I hope he keeps the place.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, malloy said:

A few mates who watched the game said he was shit and lucky not to have conceded from some of his direct errors.

Yes, he still makes some howlers (two by my count) but otherwise he was solid. Was he lucky? Yes but also he did pressure their forwards, his distribution has improved and a stoic defence meant that they got inside the Chelsea player's heads. Chelsea would have been better off by selecting D. Williams and L. Wales who would have been a lot cheaper for the same results.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

What is League 1 level like? If the top 6 A-League clubs were to be transported into L1 right now, would they be top half or bottom half?

Bearing in mind that the promoted clubs from League 1 are going into the Championship, which has some pretty seriously senior clubs in it, I would guess bottom half.

You can look at https://www.skysports.com/league-1-table for the current standings and https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-one/attendances for average home attendances. The latter can possibly be taken as indicative of the level of the "size" of the club and therefore its likely resources and therefore the players that they might be able to attract, but that's just a feeling I have. For example, the five least-attended clubs are pretty small clubs on a national scale. But I wouldn't in any way suggest that attendances are a good absolute measure.

Anyone else brought up on English football care to comment?

59 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

What is League 1 level like? If the top 6 A-League clubs were to be transported into L1 right now, would they be top half or bottom half?

The best A League sides, such as ours last season, would be competitive in League 1. The lesser clubs would be mid to lower table. But nearly all would be better than League 2, which on the basis of the match I attended back September, is pretty poor. A League is better than a lot of people here think.

• Like 2