Melbourne Football

Sack Valkanis

Tesla

Central back pair is the last thing you consider to change after a big-win and playing 2 converted CB against experienced forwards is the most stupid thing I have ever seen.

Bad coaching and bad recruitment, could we get all ex-Adelaide administration and coaching staff out of our club please.

• Like 2

Thank you Timmy for some header goals, I wish you could play football with your feet!!!

we would have crunched the cunts with more dynamic players upfront.

That is right I blame overpaid dicks like yourself for easy balls or simple moves upfront for putting us back to 10 men.

Edited by Mr MO

20 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Thank you Timmy for some header goals, I wish you could play football with your feet!!!

we would have crunched the cunts with more dynamic players upfront.

That is right I blame overpaid dicks like yourself for easy balls or simple moves upfront for putting us back to 10 men.

Blaming Cahill for the loss?

It was never going to end well hiring the assistant as coach in a team controlled by a football corporation, I'm not surprised that not much has changed.

What's his win percentage since he took over?

Edited by haz

I've been thinking about last night and without watching the replay I actually thought we set up well enough to win the game. 

The obvious flaw was Muscat's horrendous game. To give away a clumsy pen and then be sent off with a blatant brain fade at this level is unacceptable. 

But the actual set up until the card was working. Yes we conceded from (Malik I think heavy touch) that left Muscat exposed and trying to make ground and then like a true clutz got tangled in a clumsy mess. Before that Sydney hadn't threatened and we were looking dangerous. 

We had overloads on our right with Fitzy and Franjic terrorizing Zullo in many 2v1 situations and at times Bruno making 3v2. This was working. Kilkenny and Brattan were screening and playing well although Brattan did look slugish and at times slow. Caceras for me was a little central but that was more I reackon because Rose seemed reluctant to push, but put Colazo there and wowee.

And Cahill playing a genuine 9 with Bruno on his shoulder is probably the best way to play both successfully. 

Overall you replace Malik and Muscat with Ruon and Jakobsen and I reackon we win and win easily.

Major fault was after we went to 10 and had the break to work out a new plan we failed. Sacrificing Cahil was necessary but to continue to try and play from the back and retain possession is dumbfounding.  Just send it long and forget about possession and hold out for 45 for a point. 

So what I guess I'm getting at at this point I think Valkanis is on the right path and could surprise alot come finals.

(If we make them)

• Like 5

12 hours ago, fensaddler said:

And blame whoever is responsible for recruiting such a thin and frail defensive line.  Problems started in the close season.  We're overloaded in some areas and desperately weak elsewhere.

Agreed. It's interesting to read posts, you can tell pretty quickly who actually knows anything about football.

we had 6 guys who could play centre back at the start of the season (Jacobsen, Chapman, Malik, Muscat, Tongyik & Rose). Sounds wonderful doesn't it? So much depth.

Closer examination though reveals only one of them is actually any good at the position! Discussions about not letting Chapman leave, starting Tongyik etc, overlook that these guys are not great defenders and the coach was left with trying to make "the least worst" decision. In the end he clearly didn't do that, but to suggest we had alternative excellent options is plain wrong.

I think Valkanis is not a disaster and is making progress, but lacks the skill and knowledge to quickly fix the mess* he has inherited. As a result our season is over.

* in particular a side that can't defend.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Agreed. It's interesting to read posts, you can tell pretty quickly who actually knows anything about football.

we had 6 guys who could play centre back at the start of the season (Jacobsen, Chapman, Malik, Muscat, Tongyik & Rose). Sounds wonderful doesn't it? So much depth.

Closer examination though reveals only one of them is actually any good at the position! Discussions about not letting Chapman leave, starting Tongyik etc, overlook that these guys are not great defenders and the coach was left with trying to make "the least worst" decision. In the end he clearly didn't do that, but to suggest we had alternative excellent options is plain wrong.

I think Valkanis is not a disaster and is making progress, but lacks the skill and knowledge to quickly fix the mess* he has inherited. As a result our season is over.

Surely, what hurts irrespective of your knowledge of football is that it was widely acknowledged that our defence needed strengthening from last season and that little was done about it? Malik, Muscat and Rose were all second-hand recruits.

Perhaps what concerns me more is the prospects for next season. Of our nominated defensive players (Franjic, Muscat, Jakobsen, Tongyik, Malik and Rose) only one (Rose) comes out of contract at the end of this season.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Surely, what hurts irrespective of your knowledge of football is that it was widely acknowledged that our defence needed strengthening from last season and that little was done about it? Malik, Muscat and Rose were all second-hand recruits.

Perhaps what concerns me more is the prospects for next season. Of our nominated defensive players (Franjic, Muscat, Jakobsen, Tongyik, Malik and Rose) only one (Rose) comes out of contract at the end of this season.

Of those, I'm happy to keep Franjic, Jakobsen and Tongyik.  Franjic is good enough at this level, and we have excellent young cover with Pierias.  Jakobsen is very good but clearly injury prone.  We need another no nonsense central defender who can lead the line when he's not fit, and to play alongside him when he is.  Tongyik can then play alongside either when needed and continue his development.  Then at risk of sounding like a cracked record, because this was my line through most of the last close season, we need a decent left back (though for pity's sake we've got rid of a few who could surely have done a job for us).  Right now we should be playing Colazo there because that's where we need him.

Rose, Muscat and Malik are all for me just not good enough.  Malik ought to be but he has only the occasional good game and is too often a liability (vide his awful tackle on Krishna last week, which should have been a red).  Rose should just depart at the end of his contract and we need to try and move Muscat and Malik on.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Of those, I'm happy to keep Franjic, Jakobsen and Tongyik.  Franjic is good enough at this level, and we have excellent young cover with Pierias.  Jakobsen is very good but clearly injury prone.  We need another no nonsense central defender who can lead the line when he's not fit, and to play alongside him when he is.  Tongyik can then play alongside either when needed and continue his development.  Then at risk of sounding like a cracked record, because this was my line through most of the last close season, we need a decent left back (though for pity's sake we've got rid of a few who could surely have done a job for us).  Right now we should be playing Colazo there because that's where we need him.

Rose, Muscat and Malik are all for me just not good enough.  Malik ought to be but he has only the occasional good game and is too often a liability (vide his awful tackle on Krishna last week, which should have been a red).  Rose should just depart at the end of his contract and we need to try and move Muscat and Malik on.

Yes I agree. Colazo, Rose and Sorenson's contracts expire at season's end. Although Bouzanis has been a serviceable goalkeeper I still think we need someone better, do we go for  a Visa GK again? Could be risk but I have faith in the CFG scouts. In regards to the CB situation, Jakobsen is here for another season, I still think we should go after the Socceroos CB Matthew Spiranovic who will be playing in the Chinese 2nd Div.

My 2017/18 Defense:

------------------Visa GK----------------------

Franjic--Jakobsen--Spiranovic--Aussie LB?

We will need to use our marquee spot on a center midfield who can control the game like Mooy. 

Edited by haz

1 hour ago, haz said:

Yes I agree. Colazo, Rose and Sorenson's contracts expire at season's end. Although Bouzanis has been a serviceable goalkeeper I still think we need someone better, do we go for  a Visa GK again? Could be risk but I have faith in the CFG scouts. In regards to the CB situation, Jakobsen is here for another season, I still think we should go after the Socceroos CB Matthew Spiranovic who will be playing in the Chinese 2nd Div.

My 2017/18 Defense:

------------------Visa GK----------------------

Franjic--Jakobsen--Spiranovic--Aussie LB?

We will need to use our marquee spot on a center midfield who can control the game like Mooy. 

I think we're stuck with Bouzanis unless another club wants him. I did hear that there is interest from Asia in him, but nothing has surfaced publicly to that effect. ATM his contract runs until 31st May 2020 - three more seasons.

Players coming out of contract are:
Sorensen, Rose, Gameiro and Kuzi.

Players completing their one-season loan period are:
Caceres, Brattan and Colazo.

By my reckoning we have 21 out of the 23 allowed members of the A-League squad, so we have the possibility of 9 new players for next season, one being a marquee. Cahill will come inside the cap next season, and that might limit our options financially.

But, as so many of us have repeated ad nauseam turning over the players again won't do any good at all unless we have a hard-nosed coach at the helm.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jovan said:

I've been thinking about last night and without watching the replay I actually thought we set up well enough to win the game. 

The obvious flaw was Muscat's horrendous game. To give away a clumsy pen and then be sent off with a blatant brain fade at this level is unacceptable. 

But the actual set up until the card was working. Yes we conceded from (Malik I think heavy touch) that left Muscat exposed and trying to make ground and then like a true clutz got tangled in a clumsy mess. Before that Sydney hadn't threatened and we were looking dangerous. 

We had overloads on our right with Fitzy and Franjic terrorizing Zullo in many 2v1 situations and at times Bruno making 3v2. This was working. Kilkenny and Brattan were screening and playing well although Brattan did look slugish and at times slow. Caceras for me was a little central but that was more I reackon because Rose seemed reluctant to push, but put Colazo there and wowee.

And Cahill playing a genuine 9 with Bruno on his shoulder is probably the best way to play both successfully. 

Overall you replace Malik and Muscat with Ruon and Jakobsen and I reackon we win and win easily.

Major fault was after we went to 10 and had the break to work out a new plan we failed. Sacrificing Cahil was necessary but to continue to try and play from the back and retain possession is dumbfounding.  Just send it long and forget about possession and hold out for 45 for a point. 

So what I guess I'm getting at at this point I think Valkanis is on the right path and could surprise alot come finals.

(If we make them)

Agree, the only problem I would clearly lay at Valkanis' feet is the second half tactics, naive at best and played to the Smurf's strengths. I also agree that we have a weak defensive hand, it takes a very good coach to win each round with a poor hand of defensive players

7 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Chapman was a former youth national team captain and was one of the brightest prospects of his generation.  Until he came to us and JVS total ineptness at even remotely coaching defense sent his progress backwards.

Look at some of the mickey mouse defending that goes even to the days of Colosimo and Curtis Good.

Everything  infected by JVS goes including Valkanis

On 25/02/2017 at 7:45 PM, Kiro Kompiro said:

Everything  infected by JVS goes 

He is like a one man zombie plauge. Anyone that gets the virus is doomed. No matter how much you might like that person and don't want to to be true, you know there is no helping them. There's only one solution.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For me, he maybe turning the corner and demonstrated some good tactical smarts and balance.

Played a deeper defensive line that helped our frailty against the opposition counter, played a tighter centre attack, had Cahill as an out and out striker, and his tactic of using Fitzy as an impact sub on a tiring defence broke their defence to pieces and if Bruno had a better first touch, 6-0 was a realistic score.

Credit where credit is due, it was a very good tactical game from him, well done.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

If this puppet is head coach next season the club will have one less FOUNDATION member!

Same here. Been following this club since before they officially had a name. If we don't invest in a head coach next season i am out.

1 minute ago, jeffplz said:

Give me one reason we shouldn't after tonight

He hasn't been given 4 seasons yet

On 19 March 2017 at 1:43 PM, playmaker said:

For me, he maybe turning the corner and demonstrated some good tactical smarts and balance.

Played a deeper defensive line that helped our frailty against the opposition counter, played a tighter centre attack, had Cahill as an out and out striker, and his tactic of using Fitzy as an impact sub on a tiring defence broke their defence to pieces and if Bruno had a better first touch, 6-0 was a realistic score.

Credit where credit is due, it was a very good tactical game from him, well done.

So much for my optimism, wtf happened this week.

i'm not going to defend him, but it's our overlords and demanded style of play etc

our possession based football, bullshit when it's all in our own defending third, with static movement up from makes it impossible

when will CFG realise we aint Barcelona, we can't just buy players to play that system here in a salary capped A League, we don't have players with the technical ability to do it

I hate to say it but look at WSW last night, quick transition and ball movement rather that our ponderous build up

I'm fucking over it

• Like 1

Scoreboard flattered us last night.

When I think that if we get a win in the first week of the finals, it's the best season in the history of the team (and maybe it is anyway, with the Cup win), I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I don't know how many times I need to ask: but how in the hell does this club expect to get new members and big crowds, when we are consistently this much worse than our local rivals, who play in front of packed home stadiums every week?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

There is no more to say then just sack him

Yes then......Aloisi in for 2.0. The bring back JVS for 3.0. followed by Valkanis for 2.0. once again and we come back too a full circle.

Welcome too Melbourne City Football Club ladies and gentlemen where the Merry Go Round is always at play. *starts humming the merry go round tune in my head*

19 hours ago, Tony999 said:

If this puppet is head coach next season the club will have one less FOUNDATION member!

Me too and i have said this before but i am heartedlly sick of watching mediocre Sunday pub football after paying for a years membership. last night was abysmal, i cannot see us even retaining third spot let alone play in the finals so we won't need Jakobsen after all . Next week we face Sydney, stand by for a real creaming.

17 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

Me too and i have said this before but i am heartedlly sick of watching mediocre Sunday pub football after paying for a years membership. last night was abysmal, i cannot see us even retaining third spot let alone play in the finals so we won't need Jakobsen after all . Next week we face Sydney, stand by for a real creaming.

We have a chance of beating Adelaide at home, all the other remaining games are almost certain loses. I'm expecting a 5th place finish and then a quiet exit after the first week.

• Like 1