Melbourne Football

Sack Valkanis

Tesla

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Must say I'm surprised at this. Seems so unnecessary to announce anything. Agree that it suggests a few things:
- they do have their man for the next season;
- but he won't be Valkanis;
- JvS won't be returning;
- Board still thinks we can achieve the objectives set for the season.

So what happens if we miraculously end up second on the ladder and then go on winning the toilet seat?

Surely you cant sack Valkanis if that happens.

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Must say I'm surprised at this. Seems so unnecessary to announce anything. Agree that it suggests a few things:
- Board still thinks we can achieve the objectives set for the season.

Exactly, I don't think they'd bother to announce anything if they had a manager that was ready to go, and conversely if they hadnt appointed one yet as both options leave their hands somewhat tied.

My suspicion is they have someone locked away who either can't or doesn't want to take over immediatly, and by backing Valkanis in to season's end it gives him the chance to make a case for himself with regards to future aspirations. Win-win for both, unless of course things go completely belly up, but that seems unlikely based on the past three games and lack of significant change in the playing stocks and style.

2 minutes ago, [LIBBA] said:

So what happens if we miraculously end up second on the ladder and then go on winning the toilet seat?

Surely you cant sack Valkanis if that happens.

Yeh if its a big name coach you could def move him back to assistant without too much backlash. It would also help MV in that he's pretty much the next bloke on the list when a coaching job becomes available anywhere in the league.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

- Board thinks we can't achieve the objectives set for the season.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Yeh if its a big name coach you could def move him back to assistant without too much backlash. It would also help MV in that he's pretty much the next bloke on the list when a coaching job becomes available anywhere in the league.

Didn't this happen to him already at Adelaide. Took over as a caretaker and then returned as an assistant after a new new senior coach was appointed. 

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Didn't this happen to him already at Adelaide. Took over as a caretaker and then returned as an assistant after a new new senior coach was appointed. 

Yes, but he had a shit record in the caretaker role. His opportunity now is, as I see it, to tweak the "CFG philosophy" or abandon it altogether so that we actually start winning on a regular basis and make a genuine assault on further silverware this season. That way he might not get the gig with us into the future, but it will show other clubs that he's got some balls and has some coaching acumen, and could get him a Manager role elsewhere. Just staying as "MvS" doesn't do him any good either way. That's as I see it anyway.

4 hours ago, playmaker said:

Hopefully he gets tactical freedom to prove his worth and actually shows if he can out-think the opposition manager rather than the sticking to JVS moronic belief system.

Lol.

i think he's been appointed largely because he successfully toed the company line. That's what I got out of the press release anyway.

• Like 2

I think you'll find, if you could really get the truth, that Trani and Jolic left because they were no longer prepared to work with JvS. MvS was appointed as Assistant simply because he's a yes-man, and will do exactly as he is told. It is highly unlikely that we will see him change anything, and it's pretty clear that he has no idea of how to coach a football team.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tesla said:

Aloisi > Valkanis

That's pretty accurate. Aloisi had a pretty good season last year at Brisbane, mind you he had a decent list to begin with.

Imagine what he could with our list.

Aloisi In!!!!

Edited by Jovan

Ive said it before and Ill say it again - Teflon Jon was a big problem but the problem went higher.

How he had survived so long shows a deep rooted problem in our club. Now we have a puppet in charge who hasn't got the ability to reach the dizzying heights of average-ness that JVS excelled at no matter what squad he had.

How can the whole world see that just dont move the ball forward, sometimes at all, but often just at snail pace yet NEVER change anything up? Teams just setup for the inevitable counter, and we just walk into trap after trap?

It is hit the point where it is embarrassing to watch and absolutely futile to try and bring any new fans along. 

So I watched the post match interview.

He said he knew they were going to sit back and not give us space....... so did everyone else.

He said we controlled the game..... no we didn't as all we did is have more possession and they set up their game to let us control possession, let us press and score against the on the counter attack. So their plan worked and ours didn't which means, 'THEY CONTROLLED THE GAME' you idiot.

So then he said that he knew they were set up with fast wingers and hit us on the counter with long balls from their defence but we should have stopped them from doing that with our mid field. WHAT! Firstly you can't expect us to have 100% possession, then you can't expect us not to turn over possession because there is another team on the pitch and it's not a training drill, then how do you expect our mid field to defend a well drilled long ball going over their heads to a winger standing just forward of our defensive line that has no system, offers way too much space in behind and hasn't got a goalkeeper that controls and guides them into position. HOW? 

Then you say our forwards don't have space when we are in the box because the opposition has 8 players in there; ummm yes and that has been happening for the last 8 games at least, so my question is why aren't you bringing your players back towards our defensive half to create more space, why aren't you luring the opposition out like giving them more possession, sitting your team deeper and letting the opposition play higher up the pitch. By doing this you even negate the vulnerability we have for an opposition counter attack. WHY?

I will tell you why, because you are deluded to think that your whole game plan is robust even though since the FFA Cup your plan is flawed, vulnerable and just doesn't work. It is inflexible, it is being exploited by teams with mediocre player lists with anti-possesion game plans. 

Games are won by not conceding, if you don't concede you can't lose a game therefore if you set up your team to not concede then you are more likely not to concede. This is opposite of what you are doing. Also if you want to score then you need to structure your game to be advantageous to your striker. We have a great striker with no space so you are stifling his potentional to score goals because of YOUR OWN GAME PLAN.

Absolute stupidity.

Lastly if you want to get a different outcome and stop the rot do this......

DO EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING NOW.

GIVE UP POSSESSION, SIT DEEP IN YOUR OWN HALF AND MAN MARK, AND CREATE SPACE FOR OUR FORWARDS.

I am done with this crap.

As Bruno said, 'FK OFF!!!!'

Edited by playmaker