Melbourne Football

Season 23/24 - Round 4 -Melbourne vs Macarthur Sunday 12th Nov - 3:00pm

IssySG

9 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Who’s still convinced that this has nothing to do with the quality of the playing group?

Who say's that?

Behich and Arslan the lion have been good, the others in hindsight have been well below par, I'd rather play the kids.

Just now, Mr MO said:

6 goals in one half is entertainment.

Exciting finish, I was starting to believe..

11 minutes ago, moops said:

Who say's that?

Behich and Arslan the lion have been good, the others in hindsight have been well below par, I'd rather play the kids.

There’s been a fair few here, claiming that our list is fine and it was all down to Rado.

3 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

It's encouraging to see, however we shouldn't have to be down 2 goals to see that hunger to score goals...

It’s been the same most of the game. The balls just didn’t fall for us until 90min.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, heart1011 said:

The way we played that last 10 minutes.. where was that all game?

And what's the bet Galloway gets dropped next game?

Perhaps it is just me but I didn't see anything different in those last 10 minutes.

Soups header went wide and fell on JMACs hip and finally a Macurther player stuck out out a leg.

Seen the same patern most the game except for the first 10 minutes for the second half. Dominant, created heaps until that final ball, second ball never fell for us.

4 minutes ago, Bannon said:

There 2nd goal was very telling bloke ran from halfway without a tackle at all which resulted in a goal

How many times from a goalkick did we allow a Macarthur player to run straight down the middle of the pitch into their front half with no one near them? Recall at least 5 times, in a straight line. It was like we parted the red sea for them to come straight through.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Who’s still convinced that this has nothing to do with the quality of the playing group? We are mid table but could still make finals.

We're missing our two best players.

Take the two best players out of any team and they would struggle to be competitive. 

When we have a healthy leckie and aslan the league better watch out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

We're missing our two best players.

Take the two best players out of any team and they would struggle to be competitive. 

When we have a healthy leckie and aslan the league better watch out.

Ad to that a competent Galloway, Aziz from today, solid Good, hopefully a bit more from Ugarkovic and either Sakhi to start showing something or replace with Antonis and we could do some damage...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Ad to that a competent Galloway, Aziz from today, solid Good, hopefully a bit more from Ugarkovic and either Sakhi to start showing something or replace with Antonis and we could do some damage...

Feel like our biggest issue this season is our CB's. As has been pointed out they are both over 30 and can't run down an opponent even if they tried.. It's so frustrating to watch. Nuno certainly ain't the Nuno from a couple of seasons back.. Galloway at the back makes a massive difference though!! Surely going forward you have to play Behich - Reis - Good - Galloway. Have Talbot and Souprayan on the bench. I would even give Antonis a start over Jakolis. Never thought I'd say these words but Antonis actually looks half decent so far both in the league and when he has played in the ACL. Jakolis is absolutely terrible IMO. Be curious to see if he drops out the squad when Leckie comes back. I for one hope he does!!

• Like 2

I find the Jakolis comments unwarranted. I didn't rate him at all the first couple of games I saw him either.  But since then, of all our attacking players he has been one of the most effective. Natel, Lopane and even Jamie for most of the games have been average majority of the time. He's been the one outlet that actually runs at defenders and has assisted many goals so far this season. Maybe it's some of his theatrics earlier on which make people not rate him. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I think that Jakolis timing is slightly off. Hence the offside calls and the kicking of the ball into opposition players. Otherwise he does a lot of positive things. Assuming that Leckie or Nabbout make a come back this season I am not sure where you would fit him.

Nabbout is out for the season and I suspect he has played his last game for us. Last I read on Leckie is that he has suffered a "setback." I wouldn't count on him being fully fit for a while.
I still feel that our main problem is lack of forward movement and lack of ball speed rather than ability of players. However, agree that both Natel and Jakolis have been frustrating so far. Personally I can't stand Jakolis' simulations and that doesn't help.  There's a reason why these players' clubs let them come to us and we're seeing those reasons.
Galloway was a revelation and I can't think why he hasn't been a starter for so long.
I'd also like to see Antonis start. He had the balls to take that penalty, and overall he's played pretty well while he's been on the pitch.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I think that Jakolis timing is slightly off. Hence the offside calls and the kicking of the ball into opposition players. Otherwise he does a lot of positive things. Assuming that Leckie or Nabbout make a come back this season I am not sure where you would fit him.

Timing goes two ways. The timing of the run and the speed of the assisting player to deliver the ball on time. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Timing goes two ways. The timing of the run and the speed of the assisting player to deliver the ball on time. 

Absolutely. And it's not working very well so far. Doesn't help, either, when JMac is relatively short so anything in the air has to be right on the button for him to score. Natel is also a problem because he's not exactly an industrious player - nothing like Tilio last season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Absolutely. And it's not working very well so far. Doesn't help, either, when JMac is relatively short so anything in the air has to be right on the button for him to score. Natel is also a problem because he's not exactly an industrious player - nothing like Tilio last season. 

Yeh agree. Natel had a good 10 min period then was taken off but decide that has been average at best. He has the Brazilian style but without the end product. Without that you have to at least put in the work to make up for it. I'm not sure if he has it in him to do that. 

• Like 2

I think one of our main problems is that we have too many players who are ok but nothing more. Young, Reis, Souprayen, Talbot, Sakhi, Ugarkovic, Natel, Lopane, Antonis, Jakolis are all at a capable aleague level but they lack the killer punch or star quality that you need from your best players in this league.

To get anything out of this season we are going to rely so heavily on Arslan and Leckie to create and Maclaren to score, while it will work in some games it's not sustainable without getting regular better contributions from everyone else.

• Like 4