Melbourne Football

The Sky Blue Derby: Melbourne vs Sydney 2 Jan

strider

2 minutes ago, silva10 said:

One of the great mysteries of the world JW is the signing of Richardson. If JVS is saying he is not as good as Millar, then I am afraid I have to ask the question is why did you sign him?

I agree with your assessment of our passing in midfield. It is just too sloppy at times. As for Harry, I thought overall he had a decent game, especially when he came more central. I am hoping by signing this Malik kid we are able to play him and Mooy in midfield and maybe try 4-4-3, because I really believe if Harry plays up alongside Bruno we will score more than enough goals to win games. Also Harry's corners where dare I say an upgrade on Mooy's. He put it in with great pace and Sydney were very nervous at those corners.

I think with that formation we will be unbeatable...as long as the ref doesn't notice the extra man.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, silva10 said:

One of the great mysteries of the world JW is the signing of Richardson. If JVS is saying he is not as good as Millar, then I am afraid I have to ask the question is why did you sign him?

I agree with your assessment of our passing in midfield. It is just too sloppy at times. As for Harry, I thought overall he had a decent game, especially when he came more central. I am hoping by signing this Malik kid we are able to play him and Mooy in midfield and maybe try 4-4-3, because I really believe if Harry plays up alongside Bruno we will score more than enough goals to win games. Also Harry's corners where dare I say an upgrade on Mooy's. He put it in with great pace and Sydney were very nervous at those corners.

Pretty sure Richardson was on a short term deal whatever that means. I don't even know if he's at the club anymore.  

13 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

As my brother pointed out, that was a good game by City and a crap game by Sydney FC. With 5 starting eleven players missing, a thrown together midfield and backline and Sydney at no stage took the lead. They completely dominated the midfield yet could not take their chances. Two very young players and they still could not finish. Yet when City did get a look in they scored. It is also interesting to read these comments and compare them to years gone by if a similar situation had occurred - the forum would have been all about the excuses and how we need better players. Yes I think that JVS could have done better but Arnold who was missing only one player didn't do better. The expectations have been raised.

Sydney had a Heart of a game, dominated possession, outplayed us for large parts of the game, myriad of scoring opportunities but couldn't hit the side of a barn. Arguably we have the players now, all we need is the coach

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, silva10 said:

JVS probably doesn't either lol

You would have thought the club would have announced it if he has left.

Not the first time we would have released a fairly unknown player without announcing it. Unless they're known or are playing regularly you won't hear much about it. 

Edited by n i k o
For all I know he may still be there

I agree with most of the comments

to get a point out of that match, with the shit served up in the first 25 to 30 minutes was an escape Houdini would be proud of

Sydney cut the right side of our defence to pieces in that period, It wasn't just Millar getting a bath, Hughes was at fault too

Sorenson again saved our hides in the first half

Feel for the young kid Eygan ?? getting dragged, but we did play better after Zullo came on , we played a 5 -3- 2 , with the full backs overlapping

Mauk came back and played as a holding midfileder ( I don't think he has ever done that before)

Harry played more centrally, and looked so much better, plus when he went on the right, he used his pace to get past players, portent for the future JVS?

Bruno was Bruno

I concur with almost every one here, the opportunity for Koren to "show his worth" totally wasted, his first touch was atrocious, he had a chance to stamp his authority on the game and went missing, like most here, I won't be sad to see him go 

Mention of Zullo slipping over, not just him, I saw Bruno go over a couple of times, so a bad choice of studs from some players

• Like 1

Had three family friends come to the game one of who was over from England but two that are afl people through and through. Said they thoroughly enjoyed the game and found it extremely entertaining. 

Personally I feel we are finally at the point where we can bring guests to games and win, lose or draw we will put on an exciting show. It's quite refreshing actually. 

• Like 5

Remember at the start of the season I said that making the southern end all reserve seating was a shit system because it made it difficult to sit with non members?

Well last night I bought my son and planned on getting him a general admin ticket and me just sitting with him in the Northern end. When we got the the ticket booth I was told general had sold out (despite there being loads of empty seats) and my seat could not be transferred, so the only way we could sit together was if I bought 2 category C tickets. So in effect I had to pay for an extra seat

• Like 2

I tried to upgrade a few tickets to category A and was told it was sold out. While it was mostly full it was as expected that there were numerous free seats available. Can't explain it other than I'm sure the club holds on to a number of seats for potential new members that sign up. 

I've been getting a family membership for 5 season's now. This year I didn't register my youngest as she only been to 1 game previously and really wasn't keen on going. Last night she wanted to come. So I went to the membership tent and basically asked for a free ticket for category c. 

TBH I wasn't expecting it but the chick that helped me gave us a ticket and told us to come after the game to meet and greet some of the players. 

Well done. 

1 hour ago, KSK_47 said:

Remember at the start of the season I said that making the southern end all reserve seating was a shit system because it made it difficult to sit with non members?

Well last night I bought my son and planned on getting him a general admin ticket and me just sitting with him in the Northern end. When we got the the ticket booth I was told general had sold out (despite there being loads of empty seats) and my seat could not be transferred, so the only way we could sit together was if I bought 2 category C tickets. So in effect I had to pay for an extra seat

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

I tried to upgrade a few tickets to category A and was told it was sold out. While it was mostly full it was as expected that there were numerous free seats available. Can't explain it other than I'm sure the club holds on to a number of seats for potential new members that sign up. 

The only way I can see that "sold out" could be true is as follows. Suppose there are 3,000 GA members. There are approximately 5,000 GA seats at the northern end, so the maximum number of GA tickets that can be sold at the gate is 2,000, and therefore once that number have been sold the GA end is technically "sold out." And there are no other GA seats in the stadium.

Likewise premium A, only different numbers.

With Tier 3 closed the capacity of the stadium is 20,000 (round figures). This problem begins to occur, as we now see, with a membership of 8,500 and an overall attendance of 10,000. As and when our memberships and attendances rise the problem will get worse. That's why there's a tipping point of membership (at around 75% capacity) where you can no longer expect to just rock up and get a ticket at the gate at all, and this is why MV's memberships are at an all-time high. All because members don't turn up and there's not yet any way of re-selling those seats if they're not going to be occupied by members.

There are solutions to this problem. It's a matter of whether City want to work on a solution or not. I would, in the first instance, post to "City Voice" and see what the response is. Another conduit to use would be the FRG.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

I've been getting a family membership for 5 season's now. This year I didn't register my youngest as she only been to 1 game previously and really wasn't keen on going. Last night she wanted to come. So I went to the membership tent and basically asked for a free ticket for category c. 

TBH I wasn't expecting it but the chick that helped me gave us a ticket and told us to come after the game to meet and greet some of the players. 

Well done. 

Good to hear Jovan. I'd be sending an email to the club praising the girl that helped you. Gestures like hers go a long way to making you feel valued as a member.

PS The hotdog guy will be almost as happy as you were, that's an extra 8 bucks in his pocket haha

• Like 2

First game I've made it to this year due to a combo of work/lack of interest/scepticism, although I have followed the whole season through my IQ box.

Really impressed with Novillo. I've thought he was a little off the last few weeks but really stepped up last night to make up for the loss of Mooy and Franjic to our attack. He is such a powerful build and the move centrally was great. He had started to become too predictable with his typical get ball, take on 5 defenders, cut inside and try and shoot from outside the box move. Having him more central meant he could really pick the gaps in the defence and like a cannonball force his way through.

Fornaroli is the best player we've ever had and is such a constant threat. His ability to retain the ball was exemplary and such a contrast to someone like Koren who showed a complete inability to either retain possession under pressure or create time and space to use the ball. Bruno is so lethal in the box as well.

With those two we have possibly the two most passionate players we have ever fielded, somewhat ironically giving our team more "Heart" than it has ever had before (with Melling to give it a further boost). Love their interactions with the crowd as well.

JVS did get something right, the change of formation when Zullo came on completely turned the game and put Sydney straight on the back foot. He does deserve credit for that, although the handling of Eyigun to facilitate it was poor, as was the bewildering decision not to use our third sub when half the side was clearly exhausted by the 70 minute mark and could have used the energy of someone like Garruccio.  

It was nice though to go to a "showcase" match and not be completely let down. Reading there was to be no Mooy or Franjic was disappointing, so for the side to still deliver a tight and attacking match that was an enjoyable spectacle if not a slight let down was great. I'm used to having the friends I bring walk away laughing at how boring the match was and underwhelming our players were, so for them to come around smiling and talking about how powerful Novillo was or how strong Fornaroli was was great. At least now people will come back.

• Like 2

Btw on the Millar performance, I was sitting on the Eastern wing so had an excellent view of his defensive "exploits" for the second half. He was horribly out of his depth, but was not helped by our complete lack of a right midfielder of any sort meaning Gersbach was always open and Millar was often left to cover both Gerbsach and Hoole. I thought Trifiro or Mauk should have drifted to the right when not in possession so as to help cover the defence a little.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The only way I can see that "sold out" could be true is as follows. Suppose there are 3,000 GA members. There are approximately 5,000 GA seats at the northern end, so the maximum number of GA tickets that can be sold at the gate is 2,000, and therefore once that number have been sold the GA end is technically "sold out." And there are no other GA seats in the stadium.

Likewise premium A, only different numbers.

I was under the impression that GA seats are not held for GA members, and if the game sells out then too bad.

6 hours ago, playmaker said:

Koren needs some more games with Mooy.

Koren could have some games with messi and he'd still be shit, sorry mate, he's just not up to it.

But onto the game, i won't rehash a lot of what has already been said but however it was made quite clear again clisby is a CB and not a LB. I'm not saying he had the worst game at LB back he just offers very little to nothing when going forward. Luckily zullo came on and was on the wing to cover clisby's lack of forward penetration, but i'd have clisby on the bench and sub him on for one of out CB pairings rather then as a starting LB.

Wouldn't be against the 3-5-2/5-3-2 to allow Novillo and Bruno to work together up front, also allows us that extra cover for the wing backs bombing forward and would give Mooy more freedom with the extra cover in the middle.

Sorensen

Hughes - Kisnorbo - Clisby

Franjic                                  Zullo

Paartalu - Mooy - Retre

Novillo - Fornaroli

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Jovan said:

Well done. 

Well done indeed, put this chick in charge of memberships/ticketing and all round communication between club and fans, obviously puts fans first.

17 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Wouldn't be against the 3-5-2/5-3-2 to allow Novillo and Bruno to work together up front, also allows us that extra cover for the wing backs bombing forward and would give Mooy more freedom with the extra cover in the middle.

Sorensen

Paartalu - Mooy - Retre

Novillo - Fornaroli

Just posted exactly the same in the wanderers thread. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Sorensen

Paartalu - Mooy - Retre

Novillo - Fornaroli

I love this

21 minutes ago, Nate said:

I love this

Would prefer this tbh:

Sorensen

Hughes      -      Kisnorbo
Franjic      -                                           -      Zullo
Paartalu
Mooy               -               Mauk
Koren

Fornaroli         -         Novillo

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Red or Dead said:

Would prefer this tbh:

Sorensen

Hughes      -      Kisnorbo
Franjic      -                                           -      Zullo
Paartalu
Mooy               -               Mauk
Koren

Fornaroli         -         Novillo

If you put Koren in there we are basically playing 10 V 11

• Like 5

On 3 January 2016 at 6:17 PM, Pete Heartspur said:

I was under the impression that GA seats are not held for GA members, and if the game sells out then too bad.

If you have a membership the club is obliged to grant you entry to games whenever you turn up (aside from derbies as specified when you buy your membership.)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kinnibari said:

If you have a membership the club is obliged to grant you entry to games whenever you turn up (aside from derbies as specified when you buy your membership.)

No they aren't. Unless you have a reserved seat all memberships are 'subject to capacity'

Lets face it tho, besides a derby it never happens...

6 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Pleased to hear a noticeable amount of booing when the flare was set off .... I sense it will become standard practice from the crowd which is great becuase I reckon it kills off the fleeting moment of glory sought by the idiot who sets it off

But.... But... No pyro no party and what about all the hooligan points cadete has offered me??

53 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Pleased to hear a noticeable amount of booing when the flare was set off .... I sense it will become standard practice from the crowd which is great becuase I reckon it kills off the fleeting moment of glory sought by the idiot who sets it off

Also noticed some volunteers bringing the drum and some banners out, as soon as the flare was lit some big bloke in a suit stopped them from giving the stuff to the active supporters and sent the drum and banners back inside. Some active supporters where a bit hacked off as you can understand as not all of them lit the flare but I thought that was a good way to get across NO MORE FLARES, in saying this the actives did a great job without the drum and loved the Bruno chant.