Melbourne Football

ROUND 5: Adelaide v City 5th November 8pm

n i k o

I don't know if it's you that keeps making this point, so apologies if I'm picking on the wrong guy, but he played in the Premier League for two different clubs, West Brom and Hull, captaining Hull for a period too.

He's also played 60-odd games for his national team and captained them too. You're damn right that on paper he should've been better than Engelaar.

Top 4 Dutch teams are better than English teams that hover around between the bottom of the Premier League and the top of the Championship. Someone who was in the last few years struggling to get a game with these teams and was that old was never likely to be a great marquee player

• Like 2

Top 4 Dutch teams are better than English teams that hover around between the bottom of the Premier League and the top of the Championship. Someone who was in the last few years struggling to get a game with these teams and was that old was never likely to be a great marquee player

I think you'll find that a simple comparison of the 3-4 seasons before each of them moved here it was Engelaar who struggled considerably more for game time than Koren at their respective clubs, but let's not let that get in the way of the "letting Engelaar go for Koren could never be justified" narrative.

The fact of the matter is, whilst Koren has woefully failed to deliver for this club, based on his credentials he should have easily been one of the best the players in the league.

Why he hasn't performed can be blamed on many factors; from the coach, to the suitability of his style of play (luxury, trequarista style #10) or a lack of work-ethic on his part, but writing the signing off as some dud English second tier player we should have never gone near is stupid and places the blame at CFG's door rather than the coach and the player's, where it should be.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 3

TBH I shall be pleased to come away from tonight with a draw. To try and restore at least some faith with the supporters. The problem is we need (the equivalent of) 13 wins from here to occupy 3rd or 4th on the final ladder, and with 24 matches remaining (including tonight) the equation just gets harder with every match we don't win.

Based on history we have virtually no chance of winning this game.

Based on home form we should win

Based on away form we have no chance of winning this game

Based on coaching selections and tactical ability we have almost no chance of winning this game.

Based on Adelaide's form we should win easily.

Who knows?

• Like 4

I think you'll find that a simple comparison of the 3-4 seasons before each of them moved here it was Engelaar who struggled considerably more for game time than Koren at their respective clubs, but let's not let that get in the way of the "letting Engelaar go for Koren could never be justified" narrative.

The fact of the matter is, whilst Koren has woefully failed to deliver for this club, based on his credentials he should have easily been one of the best the players in the league.

Why he hasn't performed can be blamed on many factors; from the coach, to the suitability of his style of play (luxury, trequarista style #10) or a lack of work-ethic on his part, but writing the signing off as some dud English second tier player we should have never gone near is stupid and places the blame at CFG's door rather than the coach and the player's, where it should be.

OK just to ensure you both are on the same page - Engelaar was known to be having family issues regarding living in Australia. He had a one year contract but unfortunately in the pre-season he broke his leg meaning that he was missing for most of the season and when he finally made it to the pitch he delivered. The general feeling I got from people on this forum and another contact was that Engelaar left because of family reasons, not because he wasn't wanted or required.

Koren came along with great expectations. However what has never been clear is whether JVS & Co selected Koren or whether CFG selected Koren. Early on the threads there is plenty of explanation why Koren was imposed on the club. CFG has admitted of imposing Villa for four matches with no pre-season with the club. So whether we can blame JVS for his selection remains doubtful. I also recall someone going to the Hull website and asking for peoples opinion of Koren and the general consensus there was that he was a bit of a luxury player. We have seen evidence of that. What ever the case he has not fitted into the team and has been shown up by Mooy and now Mauk.

Koren didn't have a good enough resume to displace Engelaar, if you look at the first page of the Robert Koren thread I've been saying it since before he even signed. 

Big name players almost always flop in the A-League. You should never cut a proven player who was close to the best player in the league for some bloke who might have a better resume. It's retarded. Victory wouldn't drop Berisha if some bloke who played a lot of Championship and a little bit of premier league became available. Internationals who have actually got the runs on the board in this league are worth their weight in gold.

• Like 1

OK just to ensure you both are on the same page - Engelaar was known to be having family issues regarding living in Australia. He had a one year contract but unfortunately in the pre-season he broke his leg meaning that he was missing for most of the season and when he finally made it to the pitch he delivered. The general feeling I got from people on this forum and another contact was that Engelaar left because of family reasons, not because he wasn't wanted or required.

Koren came along with great expectations. However what has never been clear is whether JVS & Co selected Koren or whether CFG selected Koren. Early on the threads there is plenty of explanation why Koren was imposed on the club. CFG has admitted of imposing Villa for four matches with no pre-season with the club. So whether we can blame JVS for his selection remains doubtful. I also recall someone going to the Hull website and asking for peoples opinion of Koren and the general consensus there was that he was a bit of a luxury player. We have seen evidence of that. What ever the case he has not fitted into the team and has been shown up by Mooy and now Mauk.

I have no problem with Engelaar being replaced he should have been. My point is CFG should have aimed higher than someone who was going to struggle to get a game in the Championship.