Melbourne Football

Round 27: Adelaide v. City, Sat 25th April K.O. 7.30 p.m. aest

jw1739

This game is a piece of shit I admit and there's no way I'm defending anyone involved, but the bottom line is that this game in terms of the 3 points is completely irrelevant. Forget about building team cohesion and morale, we all know that means shit all when it comes to this club anyway.

Next week is the one which counts so let's not get overly carried away about this terrible yet pointless game.

True. But f* me, show some pride! Not only that, don't yiu think this will destroy their confidence going into next week?

That's exactly my point though, this club will win 5-0 one week and then suddenly we're all up and about and thinking "fuck yeah, the team has confidence!" and then the following week we'll lose in the most underwhelming fashion possible.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, trying to predict this club's performances is like trying to pick the lottery and I don't think this week's performance has any bearing whatsoever on next week's game.Re brilliant second half performance and win vs Adelaide at home followed by 2 poor displays against bottom sides.

Terrible result. Awful defending.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. 

Two points from the first four matches of the season, two points from the last four matches of the season. We will never win anything that way.

Edited by jw1739

There needs to be a huge cultural shift within the playing group (both players and coaches). I seriously don't believe JVS has created an environment where the players buy into what he's doing.

I remember before last season at Adelaide the players showed support for Gombau and really bought into his philosophy. While there's probably mutual respect, I don't see the same connection between our players and JVS.

The team last night played exactly to the expectations of JVS. The game didn't have as much importance on a result (which he clearly stated he had told the players) and instead the priority was having a good performance.

This is the cultural shift we need. Games like last night should be just as important, simply because winning should be the main priority for the coach no matter what. So I can't see how JVS will create this cultural shift because it would mean going against who he is.

• Like 3

JVS was absolutely pants by Gombau, with the team badly exposed in the 1st half. Tactical changes were made at half time but it was too late by then.

We do have the ability (occasionally) to rebound after these types of performances and next week regardless of who we play we wil be rank underdogs, which will take some mental pressure off the team, and suit us.

Worst 1st half performance I have seen, Kew surely played his last game for us as I have said before no, pace ball watching , gives away a stupid penalty , and gets a red card. ( good game son ) , left Connor horribly exposed , Chapman had his worst game to date , Paddy good and bad , Germano did a lot of running about but no real input , Koren was Koren ???????, there seems to be a pattern developing with Aaron quiet 1st half great 2nd half I shudder to think of our team without him, Kennedy was rightly subbed Tell me (Is He Fit Or Is He Not ) his performances have been below standard, Hoffman had a torrid afternoon to be fair there winger is more than a handful, and considering he wouldnt be match fit ( I hope Clisbys fit for next week ) Eric was exposed , Velaphi for me good keeper but doesnt spread himself enough at one on ones, all in all a SHIT performance .

Last night was the worst we've played in a long while for mine. Absolutely lacking in intensity and this mentality translated directly to our shocking defending. Chapman had an absolute stinker- (though I still think he's great). Jaliens was horrible and very very lazy/disinterested- keep an eye on him in the replays of their goals. Hoffman showed us why he'll be a barista next year, Tando was average again tho

* though Paddy J played well. I've got real concerns over Paartalu now. He doesn't get out of a jog in defence and has really lost a lot of confidence on the ball, compared to Roar days when he was a very good distributor. I reckon there are a number if players who know they're not here next year and JVS can't motivate them any more. Having said that if they can get motivated for the finals (which they absolutely should!) I think we might spring an upset next week. We often put it 2/3 rubbish performances then a good one. Let's hope so or next week could be very embarrassing

• Like 1

* though Paddy J played well. I've got real concerns over Paartalu now. He doesn't get out of a jog in defence and has really lost a lot of confidence on the ball, compared to Roar days when he was a very good distributor. I reckon there are a number if players who know they're not here next year and JVS can't motivate them any more. Having said that if they can get motivated for the finals (which they absolutely should!) I think we might spring an upset next week. We often put it 2/3 rubbish performances then a good one. Let's hope so or next week could be very embarrassing

This scenario has probably existed for the last few months now.  No excuses for on-field attitude, you would hope the players would be putting in, if for anything to further their careers at another club.  Besides, JvS doesn't strike me as a good motivator at the best of times.  

He really doesn't does he? He's very bland and I think that even when he does give the players a serve, it would seem half hearted

I think as a coach you either have to be able to be a great motivator or you have to have the knack of instilling the fear/revering factor in your players, not through yelling but through your own presence. I heard earlier in one of Kisnorbos interviews he spoke of Ange when he was training under him at the beginning of his career and how even now he has some fear(in a good way) speaking to him. There's that immediate respect that when the coach speaks everyone just shuts up and listens and Ange has that, JVS unfortunately doesn't seem to have anything near that.

I actually didn't realise that the game was on yesterday, until I just checked the A-League website then. Looks like I was only marginally less invested than the players were.

Not worth wasting two flights on these clowns; they can bloody stay in Adelaide, as far as I'm concerned.

I actually didn't realise that the game was on yesterday, until I just checked the A-League website then. Looks like I was only marginally less invested than the players were.

Not worth wasting two flights on these clowns; they can bloody stay in Adelaide, as far as I'm concerned.

They play like they hardly care. On the eve of the finals. How is this meant to motivate supporters to follow them interstate, spend hundreds of dollars and waste a weekend to see another pathetic display of backyard soccer.

God damn shame on you ....... Bunch of spoiled pretenders.

I booked next weekend off to head out and see the game.

Now I'd rather do something more enjoyable so I'm booking a visit to my dentist instead.

• Like 2

I've questioned Paartalu's contribution after a number of games this season. His goals aside, I think his performances have been nothing short of woeful and I can't  believe how he has escaped the criticism some of the other duds have copped.

The amount of times he has been sucked out of position and can't get back leaving his back 4 so exposed.... and to think we gave him a 4 year contract....

• Like 1

They play like they hardly care. On the eve of the finals. How is this meant to motivate supporters to follow them interstate, spend hundreds of dollars and waste a weekend to see another pathetic display of backyard soccer.

Now I'd rather do something more enjoyable so I'm booking a visit to my dentist instead.

Hold the anesthetics whilst the root canal is being done.

I've questioned Paartalu's contribution after a number of games this season. His goals aside, I think his performances have been nothing short of woeful and I can't  believe how he has escaped the criticism some of the other duds have copped.

The amount of times he has been sucked out of position and can't get back leaving his back 4 so exposed.... and to think we gave him a 4 year contract....

Since he played for the Roar before I became committed to this club and the A-League I had no idea who he was  or what he was like so the comments thread created in his honour gave me great optimism. Needless to say the contributors to this forum led me to place my hopes on Paartalau being a decent player. Well who ever coaches him next season better get stuck into him and either make him earn his spot and have a game plan that suits him better.

I've never been so angry watching a game before, was hard watching with my young son. Still bloody angry about that performance even now. What a pathetic mindset they were in at the start. This club continuously shoots itself in it's foot. With a half decent display, I was considering heading to Adelaide for the game, but not after that shit. Happy it's in NZ now! I applaud anyone heading over, your passion and insanity is admirable - and that's from a Saints supporter! Fuck my life would be a lot easier if i supported Tards/Hawks!

• Like 1

Positives - I was back to betting against us after going full retard last week and betting on us. We get Wellngton in the finals, I couldn't go either way so at least now most of you cant either. JVS closer to getting sacked. Season nearly over.

Negatives - the whole season.

Edited by Tesla

I didn't get to see the game, but recorded it.

Needless to say I won't be watching it.

Hopefully it is the result that see's the end of JVS

We need to have a clear out in management and players.

And you started off so enthusiastic. :D #26gamestoapathy

Seriously everything feels like the last time we scraped into the finals JVS style... a final too far away for anyone to attend which we probably have lost thirty minutes into the match.

There will prob be dozens of PPL I have never seen before at The Gimp like the last JVS Final as well.

had the choice between going to Adelaide to watch the team or going to Melbourne to watch my brother in an amateur boxing bout for a state title.  thank fuck i did the family thing (bro managed to win too so bonus!!!!)

the only difference between the end of this season and previous seasons (in that we avoided 5 straight losses) is due to playing some pretty shite opponents / performances by opponents.

the club has always had a knack of being shite come round 23 and on.

i suspect i am like many on these forums in that i've learned to take this club's end of season rubbish with a grain of salt.

the only real positive i can take was in the last two weeks is that last week against Perth, we took it to a top 3 place team away.  on another day Perth wouldnt have scored first half, and Retre wouldnt have gotten sent off.

apply that here, and on another day Adelaide would have wasted a lot more than they did - some days it is against you.

by all means, i dont want to let the coach or the players or the club off.

overall, i just think Saturday night has been coming for a month and ultimately the last game and a half has been the only really shite result (from the second half against on).  

the fact we have at least ground some results out has been a bit of a positive.

• Like 1

I didn't get to see the game, but recorded it.

Needless to say I won't be watching it.

Hopefully it is the result that see's the end of JVS

We need to have a clear out in management and players.

And you started off so enthusiastic. :D

Lol I would have watched it had we given them a game and lost. However, reading the comments on here suggests it is wise to give this one a miss :)

Edited by silva10
  • Like 1

A bit tongue in cheek but nevertheless accurate tactical description of exactly why our performance was hopeless rather than hapless.

Rather more than "a bit" I'd say.

I'm actually quite pleased that the media is being openly critical of the way we've gone this season, and particularly those last two matches in the regular season. People in CFG may ignore what we pundits say on here, but they can't avoid seeing what is being presented in the media.

The club made a hash of the David Villa affair. No-one will forget that in a hurry and I'm not surprised that people have started to tell things as they really are.