Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Pretty solid transfer window. The club will go into the 2nd half of the season (14 more games) with:

- A new marquee striker in Josh Kennedy

- Jack Clisby, who can play either CB or LB

- Safuwan Baharudin, who can play either CB or RB

- a fully fit Robert Koren who can play 90 minutes

The club have pretty much addressed every position, except GK, that I thought needed strengthening: striker, LB, RB, CB.

And the club only had to release Kalmar to strengthen the team as much as it has.

The signing of Franjic on loan, if it happens, would be an absolute coup (it would almost certainly mean the release of 1 player as well, maybe Williams). Although I reckon if there wasn't a good chance that Franjic would sign up with Melbourne City after the half season had ended, then perhaps the loan signing of Franjic could be questioned, especially because it's not clear when Kennedy will be able to play 90 minutes and Williams could come in handy til then.

So all up a strong January transfer window, and there's still a few days to go. 

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 4

I don't totally agree with that point about Williams being the one to be released. I think the writing may be on the wall that Germano might be the one to be released seeing as he didn't play overseas and isn't being mentioned in the squad at all for Sunday. And it would make sense to remove Germano who has been filling the right back positon and replacing him with a right back in Franjic.

I don't totally agree with that point about Williams being the one to be released. I think the writing may be on the wall that Germano might be the one to be released seeing as he didn't play overseas and isn't being mentioned in the squad at all for Sunday. And it would make sense to remove Germano who has been filling the right back positon and replacing him with a right back in Franjic.

Germano has generally been a midfielder though when he was playing with us though. He only was playing RB due to the fact we had litualy no one else. If he wasn't so injury prone i would release williams before him but germano has had more then enough chances. FWIW anyway, i don't think we're going to sign Franjic, this new blokes can play both CB and RB plus the hoff, we now have more then anough choice for that position.

That's correct but Germano has basically zero chance of playing in the midfield. And considering he has been playing right back for the youth team means his position is cemented. So that's my reasoning behind him being the one they may be trying to move on, if there's any truth to the Franjic rumour.

The speculation on Williams comes from the SST tweet that he (Williams) had asked City for permission to seek other opportunities and that that permission had been granted. I don't think that there's been anything else of substance, unless I've missed it. Murf would know!!

Like others I'd rather release Germano in preference at this particular point in time, but am still of the view that ultimately both Williams and Dugandzic should go as well if an opportunity arises.

given that past reports have indicated we have had little to no wiggle room from a salary cap perspective, i think the transfer window deals have been ok.  two new defenders (one with some a league experience and both are reasonably young) into a defensive line severely under staffed.  

considering where the club has been performance wise the last 18 months, i think the club has had an uphill battle trying to move on some of the existing players in a salary capped league - something that has really really hamstrung us as we can't just release the player since any payout is included in our salary cap payments. we have to hope for a mutual termination.

as such (like it or loathe it), we had to find other clubs willing to sign players who were, to avoid being too subtle, part of a rather shite team performance last year (how else can you explain finishing last?).  and you can't do too much given that no one other than Kalmar ultimately wanted to move (or else they would have).  you just have to suck it up.

that said, i went in with a hope that the club would do more since they off loaded Nick Kalmar so early and somewhat expectantly.  hence, i thought that maybe the club could have helped find one or two of the more expensive 'backups' a new home.

so again, i think we have done ok - nothing spectacular.  

of course though, the proof is in the pudding.  i wont be getting to excited until i see both the new players start. til then there is no real way to gauge how well we have truly done.

Edited by mattyh001

The speculation on Williams comes from the SST tweet that he (Williams) had asked City for permission to seek other opportunities and that that permission had been granted. I don't think that there's been anything else of substance, unless I've missed it. Murf would know!!

Like others I'd rather release Germano in preference at this particular point in time, but am still of the view that ultimately both Williams and Dugandzic should go as well if an opportunity arises.

Yeah right now the speculation regarding Williams is solely a SST story.

It could be pointed out that Williams was dropped from the starting lineup in the Newcastle match, and in both of the UAE friendlies, and that might be a sign that Williams is on the outer at the club. But apart from SST there's no explicit claim or proof that Williams is set to leave the club.

It may not be Williams, but I've just got an inkling that Kalmar won't be the only player to be released from Melbourne City before the season is up.

wasn't he suposed to be going to the jets That's what I thought. With all the news outta Newcastle last few weeks not surprised tho

Edit: Mullen to Newcastle now confirmed

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/01/31/newcastle-jets-confirms-mullen-signing

Edited by mattyh001

Never really watched the kid play but Kwabena Appiah has been released by WSW.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/01/31/appiah-departs-wanderers-after-contract-termination

Kid has pace and was at the club for two and a half years. wondering if he'd be another golgol mebrahtu / would be a decent signing (if there is any interest of course), and why he left

There is one more signing to be announced. Announcement being held back to make more impact, but this week.

Don't know any further details on who and when.

Source: sponsors were told at yesterday's match v. Western Sydney.

sounds like its a bit of a coup then

There is one more signing to be announced. Announcement being held back to make more impact, but this week.

sounds like its a bit of a coup then

Some one at my local club was talking about city signing a guy from Lyon or had played for Lyon. I thought he had it wrong as he didn't really know too much about it.

Maybe he was right

We needed to sign a striker more urgently then another keeper IMO.

Tando is a solid keeper without being fantastic who could at least get us to the end of the season. But can we really rely on Kennedy to stay injury free for the rest of the season?

I read between the lines of van 't Schip's presser that Tando will not be playing for several weeks. But yes, we need that striker.

Hear what your saying regarding another striker. But if we had a quality keeper then yesterday was a 2:0 convincing win without Kennedy. If rumours play out and Germano is released and we sign a new Visa keeper then we will be a totally different side. Wait for Thursday 10am.

sounds like its a bit of a coup then Some one at my local club was talking about city signing a guy from Lyon or had played for Lyon. I thought he had it wrong as he didn't really know too much about it.

Maybe he was right no you miss heard him. "Played for the LionS" (Preston)

How come some A League clubs were able to get rid of players in January and also do good business, but not us.

We've could have done with another goal keeper and replacing some others who are performing well below current A League level.

I would suggest that the players other league clubs released had something to offer other clubs. Just as we think Jack Clisby has something to offer us (already proven I'd say).

The players we would like to unload are deadwood - either injury prone (Germano), at the end of their career (Wielaert), or simply below the standard required by other clubs (Hoffman, Ramsay, Redmayne, Velaphi). What A-League coach in their right mind would want any of these players?

That's why we're stuck with these players until the end of their contracts. And why various commentators criticise our recruiting and re-signing performance.

• jw1739 pinned this topic