Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Going back to page 21 about the pic on fb from oracle sports management:

"Melbourne City FC will be announcing a new signing very soon. New keeper on a short term deal. Happy to finally see him in Melbourne. More updates to come!"

Very Frustrating, I've had it with Redmayne. The guy is incompetent and if we performed as poorly as this bloke does in our workplace we would have been given our marching orders by now, surely contracts have performance clauses that allow clubs to dispose of players with their wages no longer counting towards the cap.

Not sure if you're taking the piss or not. So, you think we should be allowed to sign players to long-term deals, but then cut them on a whim, if they're not the best player in the A-League at their position? Somehow, I don't think a lot of players would go for that sort of set-up. If the player's form falls below what you had in mind as the worst case scenario for him when you put the contract under his nose, tough luck. A deal is a deal.

So your saying that performance clauses should be reserved for coach's only? All i'm saying is that a club being run in a A- League is a business and player contracts should be treated as such, if you don't perform to the business requirements then you should be able to be cut loose. Obviously there would be criteria to determine such performance levels, but we all know Redmayne is not performing to the standards that the club would have in mind.

"Melbourne City FC will be announcing a new signing very soon. New keeper on a short term deal. Happy to finally see him in Melbourne. More updates to come!"

Very Frustrating, I've had it with Redmayne. The guy is incompetent and if we performed as poorly as this bloke does in our workplace we would have been given our marching orders by now, surely contracts have performance clauses that allow clubs to dispose of players with their wages no longer counting towards the cap.

Not sure if you're taking the piss or not. So, you think we should be allowed to sign players to long-term deals, but then cut them on a whim, if they're not the best player in the A-League at their position? Somehow, I don't think a lot of players would go for that sort of set-up. If the player's form falls below what you had in mind as the worst case scenario for him when you put the contract under his nose, tough luck. A deal is a deal.

So your saying that performance clauses should be reserved for coach's only? All i'm saying is that a club being run in a A- League is a business and player contracts should be treated as such, if you don't perform to the business requirements then you should be able to be cut loose. Obviously there would be criteria to determine such performance levels, but we all know Redmayne is not performing to the standards that the club would have in mind. a) it would need to measurable ie stats, efficiency, goals. How you are performing out of 10 isn't measurable in a contract.

b ) decent players wouldn't accept a contract like that when they could go just about anywhere else and not have to worry about losing their income stream

Edited by bt50

The mistake with Redmayne was to extend his contract out to the end of next season - effectively giving him a three-year contract. Provided he does nothing wrong in terms of his contractual obligations there's very little we can do. We have made similar contract extension mistakes with several other players, and have shown a lack of good judgement in this aspect of our football operations.

• Like 2

The mistake with Redmayne was to extend his contract out to the end of next season - effectively giving him a three-year contract. Provided he does nothing wrong in terms of his contractual obligations there's very little we can do. We have made similar contract extension mistakes with several other players, and have shown a lack of good judgement in this aspect of our football operations.

It would be interesting to know exactly how much he is on. I would be very suprised if City don't cut their losses through the next off season and pay his contract out with Duff coming out of contract that opens some more cap space, this could be utilised for our next keeper.

Edited by drewmelbcity

"Melbourne City FC will be announcing a new signing very soon. New keeper on a short term deal. Happy to finally see him in Melbourne. More updates to come!"

So your saying that performance clauses should be reserved for coach's only? All i'm saying is that a club being run in a A- League is a business and player contracts should be treated as such, if you don't perform to the business requirements then you should be able to be cut loose. Obviously there would be criteria to determine such performance levels, but we all know Redmayne is not performing to the standards that the club would have in mind.

Performances are incentives; these players are not working on a commission. Well, I guess they can, but it's not that difficult to see that a player with an offer from us, that he earns only if he hits specific KPIs and the same offer - guaranteed - from another club, is likely to tell us 'thanks, but no thanks'. We'd end up getting players that no other A-League club wants, which should work out well.

Redmayne's contract presumably would include things like being on time, being available for media/public appearances, meeting certain fitness benchmarks and generally carrying himself like a professional (in the sense of 'not being photographed stumbling down Chapel Street at 6am on Monday morning', not in the sense of 'being perfect between the posts'). He might get bonuses for senior appearances, senior starts, clean sheets. But I seriously doubt he could be penalised for goals allowed, wrong decisions made, losses etc. He's seldom the only one culpable when a goal is scored against us. And even if he could, JVS has publicly said that the recent treatment of Redmayne by our supporters has been 'unfair' and 'unhelpful'. Bit hard for the club to then turn around and terminate his contract. 

• Like 1

It would be interesting to know exactly how much he is on. I would be very suprised if City don't cut their losses through the next off season and pay his contract out with Duff coming out of contract that opens some more cap space, this could be utilised for our next keeper.

id suggest not much, perhaps $80k.

look I don't know for sure and this is pure speculation, but this seems the most likely scenario of how it came about to me.

He was resigned at the end of season 3 because the club were able to get away with paying him peanuts for an extra season.

Remember at the time Redders had just completed his first half season as #1 keeper and had done reasonably well and was considered a future star. It was easy to assume he'd remain the #1 keeper for the next 3 years on the basis of experience making you a better player.

As a club, to sign your #1 keeper for $50-100k a year is pretty good business, and leaves more salary cap for others. The obvious negative is that if shit hits the fan and your player turns to shit, you are stuck with him. Unless another club wants to take him on at the same wages and the player is happy to go, we have no choice but to keep him on.

Still a reasonable risk to take imo for a player that appeared to have the world at his feet.

Obviously the latter is what happened and we've been lumped with Redders. At this stage you'd think Tando is the better player and given the choice, Redders would be sacked first.

However as Tando is coming out of contract and Redders still has another year to run, why would the club burn $80k out of their salary cap on a player that doesn't even play a game. Effectively, Tando on the minimum wage would still be costing us $135-155k. 

Coupled with the fact that Tando is far from a proven #1, and we are probably trying to sign another #1, you'd then be paying $135-155k for #2 keeper, who in all likelihood wont play much for the season anyway.

So in answer to your question drewmelbcity, we'd be better off to cut tando if we are unable to offload redders.

MMMM 

not a bad sauce ...

That's why I thought it worthy of sharing. As ppl know, I'm usually conservative in my approach to things...and I certainly would not set out to deliberately mislead you all.

I know nothing more than I've put above. My gut feel though, is that this was something more than an injury replacement for Velaphi, and that this was a "real signing." I'm wondering whether it was intended to be Franjic; even by his own account it appears as though he was going to come to us until his Russian club changed its mind at the last minute.

We can only wait and see.

Wasn't the Franjic deal already off at that stage?

Both fair arguments made bt50 SF33, just a frustrated supporter that is all considering he hasn't looked any good for a long time now. Bit rich of JVS to say fans treatment is unwarranted considering his bad performances effect his future position at the club. I just can't see how one person can be so incompetent at his position and we can't do anything about it, and it is not just about the goals conceding his disposable is horrible also he barely can clear a ball to the half way line at times. 

• Like 1

I know we dont have the visa spot and I assume marquee wages would be needed but Ivan Trickovski was released from his UAE club, would be a very good player at A-League level.

Winger/striker, could use a guy that can play both those positions. Can actually cross a ball, etc.

Edited by Tesla

For all the disbelievers out there, hasn't the recent comic opera at Newcastle shown that the club cannot unilaterally pay out a player's contract?

It is only possible to terminate a player's contract by mutual consent, under terms agreed between the parties, and according to the rules of the Collective Bargaining Agreement signed with Professional Footballers Australia. Any termination payments are included in the salary cap calculations for the season in which the termination takes place.

Unless Redmayne gets an offer elsewhere, or decides to quit for some other reason - unlikely I would say - we are stuck with him until the end of next season.

WTF is wrong with our whole goal-keeping set-up is the real question for me. Roganovic, Redmayne and Velaphi is hardly an impressive record in a mere four seasons.

• Like 1

http://www.football365.com/transfer-centre/9702482/Scottish-Premiership-Hamilton-have-re-signed-forward-Nigel-Hasselbaink

"Hasselbaink told STV: "I had four offers from Scotland, a couple from Romania, two in Cyprus and one in Australia"

I wonder who it was, and whether they got him confused with his uncle JFH?

Next season we can get rid of pathetic visa players like:

Germano

Weilhart

Safuwan

​Duff (Come on he isn't that great - He is after all on the other side of 30)

And get some future Man City players that can actually play.

Plus if we front load Koren's contract we can get a better marque next season.

Thats the least we deserve.

All I have is a name, no other details, make of it what you will.

EDIT - If I had to take a guess I would imagine he is either

A - coming to train for a few weeks or the rest of the season so we can scope him out for next season or

B - playing for the youth team if that is even possible?

Edited by MaliMate

I don't really mind whether it's A or B. Or indeed C, D, or E. I trust that it's true and that at long last we are going to get at least some Manchester City playing presence here in Melbourne. At the time of the takeover I saw that, and similar opportunities with coaches, as being the number one benefit out of being a member of CFG. I hope to goodness that at long last we going to see it happen.

All I have is a name, no other details, make of it what you will.

EDIT - If I had to take a guess I would imagine he is either

A - coming to train for a few weeks or the rest of the season so we can scope him out for next season or

B - playing for the youth team if that is even possible?

C - Erik's calf is more than "a week or two" injury and the Singaporean & Mass are rated that lowly as back ups at holding midfielder? Edited by billyheart

• jw1739 pinned this topic