Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

1 hour ago, japiedog said:

if I'm not mistaken that

if I'm not mistaken, Mareeba is where Srhoj lived his childhood years, there is a road on the outskirts of town that is named Srhoj,

I think you'll find a significant number of the residents of the town have the surname Srhoj.

On 17 June 2016 at 5:49 AM, haz said:

Aaron Hughes played the full 90minutes for Northern Ireland in their 2-0 win over Ukraine at the Euros

I think he was here just for the world class facilities of the Germano Treatment Centre.

I gather he has an awesome collection of selfies at Australian landmarks. 

• Like 2

What a waste of a visa spot with just 393 minutes of football in six appearances and spending significant time away with the NI squad. I still can't understand what on earth the club and CFG thought they were doing with this signing, which IMO was just as bad as Steven Gray was for Heart. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

What a waste of a visa spot with just 393 minutes of football in six appearances and spending significant time away with the NI squad. I still can't understand what on earth the club and CFG thought they were doing with this signing, which IMO was just as bad as Steven Gray was for Heart. 

Was it his fault he wasn't selected.  As in he wasn't good enough or fit enough to replace Kisnorbo Chapman Clisby etc. I'm leaning on the notion he fell out of favour. How can a 100 cap International visa  player not comand a starting position. Something not right, especially if he plays full games at a European championship. Very strange. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

If that's the case then it's a concern that 3 of our visa signings were out of favour, and this isn't the first time under JVS. Either we are recruiting poorly or it's a man management issue

That's precisely my thinking. What's going to happen with Cahil and another Marquee. My head just hurts.

My take on Hughes last season is somewhat similar to Koren; took too long to get his body right by which time the club had ample cover / competition in their position. Koren was certainly a bigger disappointment given his marquee status, while Hughes was more frustrating than than anything else due solely to visa status.

As for comparisons with Steven Gray, at least Hughes looked competent when he played - just couldn't get on enough.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jovan said:

Was it his fault he wasn't selected.  As in he wasn't good enough or fit enough to replace Kisnorbo Chapman Clisby etc. I'm leaning on the notion he fell out of favour. How can a 100 cap International visa  player not comand a starting position. Something not right, especially if he plays full games at a European championship. Very strange. 

Well he was injured for the first half of the season and then when Chappy went down MCFC (wisely in my view) went out and signed Wilkinson. So once he actually was  available he was behind two established centre backs who were playing well.

It also worth pointing out the "cultural cringe" here. The guy Is only playing for Northern Ireland, it's not like he's starting at the back for Italy.

2 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Well he was injured for the first half of the season and then when Chappy went down MCFC (wisely in my view) went out and signed Wilkinson. So once he actually was  available he was behind two established centre backs who were playing well.

It also worth pointing out the "cultural cringe" here. The guy Is only playing for Northern Ireland, it's not like he's starting at the back for Italy.

I'm not apportioning any blame to Hughes whatsoever - he was offered a contract and he accepted it. I'm saying the signing was a big mistake by City. IMO visa places are valuable and visa players should be good enough when fit to be in the starting XI.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not apportioning any blame to Hughes whatsoever - he was offered a contract and he accepted it. I'm saying the signing was a big mistake by City. IMO visa places are valuable and visa players should be good enough when fit to be in the starting XI.

And I agree 100%. Also visa players should be considered "all things being equal" to be likely to be available for every game. Clearly an aging player who'd spent his last season on the bench should have a question mark over him.

what I don't think Is that his absence from the team was some sort of conspiracy. It was sensible selections. The mistake was in the signing.

• Like 2

Exiled Paartalu vows to fight on at Jeonbuk despite being shown the door

Paartalu has been on the outer since making a flurry of appearances on his arrival – six in all competitions – and, according to a source to close to player, is mystified by the treatment being meted out to him but he will continue to "remain professional".

However, with Jeonbuk a point clear at the summit after 15 rounds, Kang-hee appears in no mood to relent and Paartalu’s future at the club, the third he has played for in Asia, appears to be clouded at best in what has turned into a stand-off between player and coach.

"Erik is waiting on the club for their stance with his situation," the source said.

"He is happy to stay but at the moment he is training in isolation, which is demoralising.

"Nevertheless, he is keen to fight for his spot if given a genuine opportunity. 

"At the moment he is unsure why this situation has occurred as has acted professionally since day one.

"He is training twice a day alone and feels the club are trying to force him out."

Kang-hee gave a string hint as to why Paartalu is out of favour back in May when, speaking ahead of Jeonbuk’s AFC Champions League clash with Melbourne Victory, he said Paartalu needed to adjust to the speed of the K-League.

"He didn’t do anything wrong," Kang-hee said at the time.

"The A-League and K-League have different styles. The K-League has a faster tempo."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/06/24/exiled-paartalu-vows-fight-jeonbuk-despite-being-shown-door

14 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

Exiled Paartalu vows to fight on at Jeonbuk despite being shown the door

Paartalu has been on the outer since making a flurry of appearances on his arrival – six in all competitions – and, according to a source to close to player, is mystified by the treatment being meted out to him but he will continue to "remain professional".

However, with Jeonbuk a point clear at the summit after 15 rounds, Kang-hee appears in no mood to relent and Paartalu’s future at the club, the third he has played for in Asia, appears to be clouded at best in what has turned into a stand-off between player and coach.

"Erik is waiting on the club for their stance with his situation," the source said.

"He is happy to stay but at the moment he is training in isolation, which is demoralising.

"Nevertheless, he is keen to fight for his spot if given a genuine opportunity. 

"At the moment he is unsure why this situation has occurred as has acted professionally since day one.

"He is training twice a day alone and feels the club are trying to force him out."

Kang-hee gave a string hint as to why Paartalu is out of favour back in May when, speaking ahead of Jeonbuk’s AFC Champions League clash with Melbourne Victory, he said Paartalu needed to adjust to the speed of the K-League.

"He didn’t do anything wrong," Kang-hee said at the time.

"The A-League and K-League have different styles. The K-League has a faster tempo."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/06/24/exiled-paartalu-vows-fight-jeonbuk-despite-being-shown-door

That's a really weird situation. Gets signed and pretty much out of favour from the start. If his pace wasn't up to it surely they would have known?

24 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

What a 'surprise', the Hoff didn't pick JVS as the best coach he's played under

I first thought that. Partly because it fits in with my dislike of him, but in saying that there no way he would mention any other coach other than the one he's currently training under. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

So many good players have been in the ranks of our club - yet no silverware.

True, but this is also indicative of the Heart years where we had one outstanding player at a time... Sibon left and then Fred came in and then he left we got Orlando.

The club seemed to think a good Number Nine was most important, then they saw how we needed a decent Number 10 and then finally JA was convinced that a lack of real Number 6 was the source of our problems.

NOTE: Fred's impact on games obviously dropped off significantly towards the end.

Edited by cadete