Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Is the forum just becoming more sensitive to departures of City players, or are we seeing a massive exodus?

Both. 

As clubs get bigger and stronger they turn over players quicker. In the heart days players would linger for a season or 2 and hardly play.

Good clubs keep turning over players until they have found ones that fit what they are looking for. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

National Premier League youngsters see new season as pathway to A-League chance

February 16, 2016

Michael Lynch

If former Melbourne City defender Ross Archibald needs any reminder of how the National Premier League can reboot a player's career he need only ask his housemate Jai Ingham.

Ingham landed himself a contract with A-League champions Melbourne Victory, having impressed during the last NPL season with Hume City, who threw Ingham a lifeline after he had been let go by Brisbane Roar as a youngster.

Archibald played four senior games for Melbourne City before heading to Fortuna Dusseldorf in Germany, where he played with the club's under -23 side. The youngster then fractured a patella, which kept him out for most of 2015.

When NPL champion Bentleigh Greens gave him the chance to return, get fit and put himself in the A-League shop window, he jumped at the opportunity. If things go as well as he hopes, he too might be able to follow in Ingham's footsteps and get a second crack at the A-League.

"I was over there doing rehab for five or six months. It was a tough time but I learned a lot. I just want to get playing again and see what happens, get fit again, have a good  season. There are a lot of good players in this league and you never know who is watching. I am still only 21 and young enough," he said.

"Jai is my housemate, I am living with him. He was playing well at Hume City and got his opportunity, now he's played a few games for Victory and is loving it in the professional environment. I would love to be back there."

That refrain – "you never know who is watching" – is a common one when younger NPL players are asked about their prospects.

The new season kicks off on Thursday night and runs through the winter, and all involved know that if they have a good campaign anything can happen.

New Zealand junior international Michael Eager is the captain of former NSL powerhouse South Melbourne, who topped the table last year but lost the grand final to Bentleigh.

He says there are many NPL players who could make the grade if given the opportunity.

"There have been a few players from within our club, Andy Brennan got picked up and went to Newcastle, there's a couple of others who have been on trial," he said.

"Plenty of other clubs, Bentleigh and Melbourne Knights, have had players who have done well enough to be picked up. That reinforces the message that there are players good enough to make the step.

"Central Coast Mariners a few weeks ago had Tomislav Uskok from the Knights, Alastair Bray, who was at Bentleigh, and and Franco Stella, who was at Avondale last year. It/' about getting the opportunity and backing NPL players for a while."

The NPL will receive a PR boost this season because Victory will be playing in it, having won promotion from the second tier last season.

Young striker Joey Katabian says that taking on experienced, battle-hardened players is a great learning curve for Victory's youngsters.

"NPL is much more physical and there are some great technical players as well. We can develop more to play in the A-League. We want to play finals and we are striving to win it."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/national-premier-league-youngsters-see-new-season-as-pathway-to-aleague-chance-20160216-gmvnmz.html

Espindola off to a good start at Hume:

Hume City signing Hernan Espindola shines on debut in 3-0 NPL victory over Richmond

February 21, 2016

Tim Mitchell

A CLINICAL second-half was enough for National Premier League title aspirant Hume City to bank three points from its opening fixture of the 2016 campaign on Saturday night. 

Goals from Shaun Timmins, Theo Markelis and Hernan Espindola after the break sealed a 3-0 triumph for the hosts over Richmond, which featured in its first top-flight fixture since 2013.

Espindola, who joined Hume City from Melbourne City during the off-season, was electric throughout his maiden NPL appearance for the Broadmeadows club.

Everything the Argentina-born attacker touched turned to gold after Timmins broke the deadlock in the 51st minute.

Timmins was the first to meet Christian Rossi’s parried save after Hume captain Nick Hegarty’s free kick created havoc in the penalty box, heading home past the helpless keeper.

Eight minutes later Markelis — introduced after about 20 minutes due to a shoulder injury to Daniel Visevic — double the hosts’ advantage.

Espindola provided a perfectly-timed ball which split the Richmond defence, allowing Markelis to rifle the ball past Rossi into the bottom-left corner of the goal.

The 21-year-old put the icing on a man-of-the-match performance in the 74th minute, cutting into the box from the left flank before curling a shot beyond the outstretched hand of Rossi.

“I thought Hernan Espindola was sensational in the second half. He got into some great positions, got himself on the scoresheet and made the assist for Theo as well,” Hume coach Lou Acevski said.

Hume City had its chances to extend the lead in the final 15 minutes, but had to settle for a three-goal margin which carried it to the top of the table on Saturday night.

Richmond’s best opportunity of the match was delivered by Dutch signing Geert Arend Roorda, who tested Hume keeper Chris Oldfield with a dipping first-half freekick.

But the home defence otherwise looked untroubled, experienced central pairing Shane Rexhepi and Ramazan Tavsancioglu ensuring Oldfield had few concerns throughout the contest.

Acevski said Visevic, who was playing his first NPL match for Hume after crossing from Bentleigh Greens, would be monitored throughout the week after popping his shoulder out.

Hume City tackles Avondale FC away from home in Round 2, while Richmond will travel to Bentleigh Greens in search of its first points of the season.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/north-west/sport/hume-city-signing-hernan-espindola-shines-on-debut-in-30-npl-victory-over-richmond/news-story/45cfe491ba261f553f0e61975cf0e49d

• Like 1

On 2/21/2016 at 0:01 PM, Murfy1 said:

Espindola off to a good start at Hume:

Hume City signing Hernan Espindola shines on debut in 3-0 NPL victory over Richmond

February 21, 2016

Tim Mitchell

A CLINICAL second-half was enough for National Premier League title aspirant Hume City to bank three points from its opening fixture of the 2016 campaign on Saturday night. 

Goals from Shaun Timmins, Theo Markelis and Hernan Espindola after the break sealed a 3-0 triumph for the hosts over Richmond, which featured in its first top-flight fixture since 2013.

Espindola, who joined Hume City from Melbourne City during the off-season, was electric throughout his maiden NPL appearance for the Broadmeadows club.

Everything the Argentina-born attacker touched turned to gold after Timmins broke the deadlock in the 51st minute.

Timmins was the first to meet Christian Rossi’s parried save after Hume captain Nick Hegarty’s free kick created havoc in the penalty box, heading home past the helpless keeper.

Eight minutes later Markelis — introduced after about 20 minutes due to a shoulder injury to Daniel Visevic — double the hosts’ advantage.

Espindola provided a perfectly-timed ball which split the Richmond defence, allowing Markelis to rifle the ball past Rossi into the bottom-left corner of the goal.

The 21-year-old put the icing on a man-of-the-match performance in the 74th minute, cutting into the box from the left flank before curling a shot beyond the outstretched hand of Rossi.

“I thought Hernan Espindola was sensational in the second half. He got into some great positions, got himself on the scoresheet and made the assist for Theo as well,” Hume coach Lou Acevski said.

Hume City had its chances to extend the lead in the final 15 minutes, but had to settle for a three-goal margin which carried it to the top of the table on Saturday night.

Richmond’s best opportunity of the match was delivered by Dutch signing Geert Arend Roorda, who tested Hume keeper Chris Oldfield with a dipping first-half freekick.

But the home defence otherwise looked untroubled, experienced central pairing Shane Rexhepi and Ramazan Tavsancioglu ensuring Oldfield had few concerns throughout the contest.

Acevski said Visevic, who was playing his first NPL match for Hume after crossing from Bentleigh Greens, would be monitored throughout the week after popping his shoulder out.

Hume City tackles Avondale FC away from home in Round 2, while Richmond will travel to Bentleigh Greens in search of its first points of the season.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/north-west/sport/hume-city-signing-hernan-espindola-shines-on-debut-in-30-npl-victory-over-richmond/news-story/45cfe491ba261f553f0e61975cf0e49d

I was at the match. Espindola was the definitely the highlight of the match. We didn't see much of him at Melbourne but he killed it at Hume.

1 hour ago, cadete said:

Or on that Celebrity show in the jungle with Fev and Warnie.

Just now, thisphantomfortress said:

Don't act like you don't have "I'm a celebrity get me out of here" on series link ;)

If I still lived alone I would have given it a watch... but I don't so I sadly have to live off other's reports.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to Behich. Works hard and deserves his overseas success.

It's been a highlight of supporting this club seeing him perform admirably for us, playing for the Socceroos and going on to overseas success.

On current club matters, it's interesting to note that the club announced the signing of Manny Muscat around the same time that Behich re-signed for his club in Turkey. Perhaps the club held out a hope of signing Behich for next season, but after he re-signed in Turkey the club turned its attention to Manny Muscat. The timeline fits.

Hopefully Zullo can string together more performances like his starring performance in our 3-1 win against Wellington, and then deservedly get re-signed for next season.

Velaphi relishing Japanese challenge

John Davidson

7 March 2016

Tando Velaphi is enjoying his time in Japan and is determined to win a starting spot with his J1 League club Shonan Bellmare.

Velaphi left Melbourne City in January to join the Japanese side.

The 28-year old goalkeeper has yet to make a first-team appearance in the league for his new club.

Velaphi, whose mother is Japanese, said he has settled in well.

“Its awesome,” he told FourFourTwo.  

“I’ve been here a few times on holiday so in terms of that stuff and the way people do things I’ve been exposed before. I’m really enjoying my time here. I haven’t got time to see my family yet.

“But that side of things is really good and the football is even better. I’m really enjoying the club here, they’ve made me feel very welcome and I’m starting to fit in with the team slowly but surely.

“I speak a little bit of Japanese. I’m more better at understanding it. It takes a bit of time with the speaking but I’ve been here six or seven weeks now and I’m slowly getting back into it.

“My mum keeps hounding me about working on my Japanese but it’s getting there.”

Shonan Bellmare are a relatively young club – they were founded in 1968 – and are based in Hiratsuka.

In recent years they have bounced between the J1 and J2 Leagues, securing promotion back to the top flight in 2013 before being relegating the following season.

Shonan Bellmare were promoted after winning the J2 League in 2014 and they finished eighth in the premier division last year.

“They’re a relatively small club with regards to the J-League but they’re a team that really punches above its weight,” Velaphi explains.

“Last year they got promoted from the J2 and they finished eighth which is really good. We’ve got a lot of young players and our style of football, they call it the Shonan style, which is they’ve got a bit of a trademark and brand about the way they play football and go about things.

“Very much they’ve got an identity here in the city and everyone gets a buzz at the games. It’s only a small stadium – about 17,000 – but it was sold out for the first game.

“It’s a great place to be, it’s on the coast and not too far from Tokyo. It’s a great club, the facilities are great and I think most teams in the J-League have top-class facilities.”

So far this season Shonan Bellmare has had one win and one draw from the first two matches, placing it in 14th place in the 18-team competition. Velaphi is competing with Yuji Kajikawa and Tomohiko Murayama for the number one jumper.

“With myself obviously I want to play but sometimes you have to bide your time a little bit,” he said.

“The coaches have been great with their communication to say look you’re new to this whole football over here, the language and goalkeepers are a pretty important part of that sort of stuff.

“I feel like I’ve been training well, I played a lot in the pre-season it’s just a matter of adapting to exactly how they want things done. I’m very eager to play and it’s obviously disappointing not to start, you always want to play.

“But I’m in a good place and I’m learning each day. I’m looking forward to setting foot on the park soon.”

Velaphi said it his club’s goal not just to stay up this season.

“Every season is different in terms of the league and all the teams are so strong,” he said.

“You see some times they can win the championship two years before and then get relegated into the J2. There’s probably about five or six teams in the J2 worthy of playing in the J1.

“It’s very competitive and every year you can’t predict it. We want to aim for the title, that’s everyone’s ambition. If we can just keep steadily progressing our style of football, there’s no reason why we can’t achieve great things and beat the top teams.”

Originally from Perth, Velaphi has made more than 100 A-League appearances for Perth Glory, Brisbane Roar, Melbourne Victory and Melbourne City.

The keeper said his move to Japan was a combination of the right place at the right time.

“I really enjoyed my time at Melbourne City and I’m very thankful for letting me take up this opportunity,” he said.

“It was the right place at the right time. It’s not very often that foreign goalkeepers go over to Japan. I came off a pretty strong season the past year and people saw that I wasn’t playing and thought maybe he wants to try something new.

“With my mum being Japanese and having a bit of interest in the J-League on a personal level, it all came together. Sometimes things like click and it felt like the right move. I didn’t really think twice about it when it came up.

“It all kind happened within a few days, it was pretty sudden. I was really keen to make the move.”

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/velaphi-relishing-japanese-challenge#:hvqoFF1SSTA9EA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, haz said:

http://cnnphilippines.com/sports/2016/03/29/Azkals-beat-North-Korea.html

Ian Ramsey scores the winner for Philippines against North Korea in the last minute.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PYkyfgNgIr8

LOL - Remember when he wouldn't celebrate a win with the fans in the Home End because someone punched him in the face.

4 hours ago, haz said:

http://cnnphilippines.com/sports/2016/03/29/Azkals-beat-North-Korea.html

Ian Ramsey scores the winner for Philippines against North Korea in the last minute.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PYkyfgNgIr8

Gotta say I'm pretty happy for the guy. Considering how much his time with us would have absolutely destroyed his confidence its nice to see him doing well even at a lower level.

• Like 3