Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

Am I the only one who is struggling to understand the relevance and where exactly this conversation is going?

No. You're not. 

Gents, this is a "Where are they now?" thread on former Heart and City players. Please keep on topic. If you want a thread on the ethnic aspects of various clubs may I suggest "World Football" is the place to put it?

Your research is false.

Vardar Skopje were Champions of the old Yugo league, but as was the case in those times, if a Serb or Cro side didn't win it, the powers that be had a problem with it, and the club were stripped of their title, yet they still competed in the EUFA League. 

The Serb/Cro alliance extended to the NT where the European Golden Boot Winner Pancev sat on the bench at the World Cup 1990 opening, scored twice in the next game, and promptly put on the bench again for the third.

That 2002 Celtic squad had 43 players of which 11 were Scots. 

Yes but the real question is how many were Catholics?

• Like 1

What the actual fuck am I reading? I thought it was pretty clear I was exaggerating, but if cadete can only defend the SPL by comparing it to a corrupt league where players are lucky to even get paid then maybe I wasn't exaggerating after all.

What the actual fuck am I reading? I thought it was pretty clear I was exaggerating, but if cadete can only defend the SPL by comparing it to a corrupt league where players are lucky to even get paid then maybe I wasn't exaggerating after all.

Sorry mate I just assumed that "dem superior balkan sporting genetics" of yours would be able to overcome things like League Corruption.

Just like how your personal "superior intellectual balkan genetics" and Economics Degree would not only be far more capable of governing Australia than any of our current politicians and but of course prevented the current Greek Crisis.

Remember all of these are your words not mine.

Edited by cadete

Sorry mate I just assumed that "dem superior balkan sporting genetics" of yours would be able to overcome things like League Corruption.

Just like how your personal "superior intellectual balkan genetics" and Economics Degree would not only be far more capable of governing Australia than any of our current politicians and but of course prevented the current Greek Crisis.

Remember these are your words not mine.

The point of what I said is that I don't want to see any promising young Australian player moving to the SPL, it's not a good career move these days. Even if it's to Celtic, yeah there would be better facilities and coaches, but the teams they'd play against are no better than the A-League, and if it wasn't to Celtic but to some team like Dundee United then there really is no benefit at all apart from being in a better shop window for other European clubs, but i'm not even sure if that's true, I get the feeling that the success of certain Aussies in Europe possibly has lead to the A-League being overrated and and the target of many European scouts.

If Australian players really think they need to go to Europe there are much better options on the continent, but even then a lot are better off just staying in the A-League. It's pretty easy to get stuck in Europe playing at the same level forever, whereas if a player can really excel in the A-League the quality of European clubs interested in them would dramatically increase. A good example is Amini moving to Denmark rather than coming back to the A-League, if he was really any good he would come back for a season and do an Aaron Mooy and then he'd have interest from the big leagues in Europe, I really can't see a move to Denmark, in the vast majority of cases, leading to more than a career in other third tier European leagues or maybe a move to a second tier European league at best

I really don't see why you're getting so defensive about the SPL, even you know it's well below where it was not that long ago and things are only getting worse as other European leagues, and leagues outside of Europe, get stronger.

So Rambo trialling at the Jets. There's just enough about the guy for people to think "potential", so I wouldn't be shocked if they signed him, but I would be shocked if he delivered.

Before he came here, pretty much every A-League club would have been happy to have him. Do you completely write his career off for choosing to play under  JVS for a couple of seasons? Given I don't expect much from the Jets squad, he could end up their starting left winger.

Edited by Tesla

The point of what I said is that I don't want to see any promising young Australian player moving to the SPL, it's not a good career move these days. Even if it's to Celtic, yeah there would be better facilities and coaches, but the teams they'd play against are no better than the A-League, and if it wasn't to Celtic but to some team like Dundee United then there really is no benefit at all apart from being in a better shop window for other European clubs, but i'm not even sure if that's true, I get the feeling that the success of certain Aussies in Europe possibly has lead to the A-League being overrated and and the target of many European scouts.

If Australian players really think they need to go to Europe there are much better options on the continent, but even then a lot are better off just staying in the A-League. It's pretty easy to get stuck in Europe playing at the same level forever, whereas if a player can really excel in the A-League the quality of European clubs interested in them would dramatically increase. A good example is Amini moving to Denmark rather than coming back to the A-League, if he was really any good he would come back for a season and do an Aaron Mooy and then he'd have interest from the big leagues in Europe, I really can't see a move to Denmark, in the vast majority of cases, leading to more than a career in other third tier European leagues or maybe a move to a second tier European league at best

I really don't see why you're getting so defensive about the SPL, even you know it's well below where it was not that long ago and things are only getting worse as other European leagues, and leagues outside of Europe, get stronger.

Before he came here, pretty much every A-League club would have been happy to have him. Do you completely write his career off for choosing to play under  JVS for a couple of seasons? Given I don't expect much from the Jets squad, he could end up their starting left winger.

No what I got annoyed with was how you misrepresented the Celtic sides of that 2005 era when the league was declining but not as rapidly as it is now and when Celtic still had very competitive sides in Europe, and five years prior to that sides as good as basicly any side outside the top four in the EPL. (In fact of results you could argue basically as good on their day).

I find it annoying because you never saw these Celtic sides play so your comments had no basis compared to myself who as a Uni Student used to waste many a night to watch them on a fortnightly basis.

Edited by cadete

Why have you overlooked that it was Aloisi who brought him to the club to play LW and then converted him to a spastic on the field? He played under JVS for a bit over one season with the final games playing up forward where to my surprise (and some alarm) he actually scored. yes he could have scored more (probably another two goals at least) but none the less he showed quite amply that he is not a defender but a winger. So perhaps under a better coach and different environment he may yet deliver. But I will re-iterate that JA was the destroyer of careers and I do feel for the Roar next season - and I also expect to see them being managed by the FFA with JA going the way of Stubbins.

Why have you overlooked that it was Aloisi who brought him to the club to play LW and then converted him to a spastic on the field? He played under JVS for a bit over one season with the final games playing up forward where to my surprise (and some alarm) he actually scored. yes he could have scored more (probably another two goals at least) but none the less he showed quite amply that he is not a defender but a winger. So perhaps under a better coach and different environment he may yet deliver. But I will re-iterate that JA was the destroyer of careers and I do feel for the Roar next season - and I also expect to see them being managed by the FFA with JA going the way of Stubbins.

He gave a good account of himself in his recent national team debut, certainly wouldn't be easy to walk into such a foreign environment and produce some of your best work yet, especially following what he was dishing up for us. I wouldn't be mad if the Jets don't pick him up, he seems like the guy that could do with a season in Malaysia or Thailand to build up his confidence.

No what I got annoyed with was how you misrepresented the Celtic sides of that 2005 era when the league was declining but not as rapidly as it is now and when Celtic still had very competitive sides in Europe, and five years prior to that sides as good as basicly any side outside the top four in the EPL. (In fact of results you could argue basically as good on their day).

I find it annoying because you never saw these Celtic sides play so your comments had no basis compared to myself who as a Uni Student used to waste many a night to watch them on a fortnightly basis.

Should I have also said they were an irrelevant CL competitor as well as being a semi-relevant Uefa Cup competitor?

Okay, they were a relevant Uefa Cup competitor before Larsson left, does that make you happy?

fwiw, I definitely did see these Celtic sides (obviously not as much as you), as it was a decent league at the time and received disproportionately high levels of coverage in Australia (for obvious reasons).

You're right, JA was also a destroyer of careers.

Edited by Tesla

Damien Duff signs 18-month deal with Shamrock Rovers

Jul 14, 2015

Damien Duff has made good on his promise to himself to finish his career in Ireland after completing an 18-month deal to play for Shamrock Rovers.

The 36-year-old former Republic of Ireland winger will join up with Pat Fenlon’s side immediately after returning home following an injury-shortened spell at Melbourne City in Australia.

The Ballyboden man made 100 international appearances between 1998 and 2012, scoring eight goals, and made over 400 Premier League appearances for Blackburn,Chelsea, Newcastle and Fulham.

“I am very excited to have signed for the club. It’s great to have it all finalised and now I’m just really looking forward to getting back on the pitch,” said Duff.

“I am still out with a bit of an injury, but I should be ready to get back training fully before the end of the month. After that I will be very keen to get back playing regularly.

“I have always said that I wanted to come back and play in Ireland and I am very grateful to Pat and the club for giving me the chance to do that. Not only do I get the chance to come back and play, but I get to do it at the biggest club in the country.

“I am as excited about this move as I have been about any in my career, be that Newcastle, Chelsea or any other. I left Ireland 20 years ago to go and make a career as a footballer and so now it’s great to be back. And I am definitely not just here to see out my time as a player; I intend to make a positive contribution to Shamrock Rovers and to the league.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/national-league/damien-duff-signs-18-month-deal-with-shamrock-rovers-1.2284935

• Like 3

Damien Duff signs 18-month deal with Shamrock Rovers

Jul 14, 2015

Damien Duff has made good on his promise to himself to finish his career in Ireland after completing an 18-month deal to play for Shamrock Rovers.

The 36-year-old former Republic of Ireland winger will join up with Pat Fenlon’s side immediately after returning home following an injury-shortened spell at Melbourne City in Australia.

The Ballyboden man made 100 international appearances between 1998 and 2012, scoring eight goals, and made over 400 Premier League appearances for Blackburn,Chelsea, Newcastle and Fulham.

“I am very excited to have signed for the club. It’s great to have it all finalised and now I’m just really looking forward to getting back on the pitch,” said Duff.

“I am still out with a bit of an injury, but I should be ready to get back training fully before the end of the month. After that I will be very keen to get back playing regularly.

“I have always said that I wanted to come back and play in Ireland and I am very grateful to Pat and the club for giving me the chance to do that. Not only do I get the chance to come back and play, but I get to do it at the biggest club in the country.

“I am as excited about this move as I have been about any in my career, be that Newcastle, Chelsea or any other. I left Ireland 20 years ago to go and make a career as a footballer and so now it’s great to be back. And I am definitely not just here to see out my time as a player; I intend to make a positive contribution to Shamrock Rovers and to the league.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/national-league/damien-duff-signs-18-month-deal-with-shamrock-rovers-1.2284935

Genuinely one of the good guys.

All the best Duffy :up:

• Like 2

Should fit the football being played there perfectly. Just depends which Eli shows up, the Eli that is enjoying is football and will end up taking out the golden boot, or the Eli having a sook about being back in Australia rather than Europe and therefore ends up scoring only 1 or 2 goals for the season.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

Just a reminder of where we were 12 months ago. He was a starting 11 player.

I've said it before, as long as we still had Ramsay and Hoffman in our squad we'd never win anything. It just shows that even Newcastle Rejects FC don't want Ramsay and they probably picked up Hoffman because he's a local lad and a good bench player!

Now if we can sign a decent finisher (who won't do a Mauk) then we'll be able to actually push for some silverware.

Further to our tweet about @AdelaideUnited talking about talking to attacking player last week we can confirm they are talking to Eli Babalj

Seems to be gathering some momentum, this move being reported overseas as well. 

http://drimble.nl/voetbal/eredivisie/az-alkmaar/29486217/janssen-verdrijft-ongewenste-az-spits-naar-de-uitgang.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Translated:

"AZ - ELI Babalj is on the verge of returning to Australia . Adelaide United expects the 23 - year-old striker from AZ too quickly welcome ."

As much as I would like to blame everything wrong with this club on JVS, you simply can't blame him for that one.

Aloisi is to blame because he signed him with the purpose of using him as a Left Back...then again that was well publicised so Ramsay would have known that, which brings it all back to being Ramsay's fault, as he was shit in every position he was played in.

Iain Ramsay has signed for Tractor Sazi and will be playing Asian Champions League football next year. Good luck to him, hope he can do well for himself over there

Pretty strange as they're surely a pretty decent team and they're signing him as their Asian player (as per 3+1 ACL rule) and normally these clubs really splash the cash on foreigners.