Melbourne Football

Round 16 vs CCM Thursday 19th January

kingofhearts

2 minutes ago, playmaker said:

The stats are exactly what any decent team should be against a shit side with 10 men for 70 minutes.

And we couldn't score for a whole half and could have given up the win in one counter attack.

There are 6 other teams in the comp that would have buried CCM before the 60th minute.

If they had 11 men we would have lost the same way we did against Adelaide because our passing accuracy would have dropped and they would have got us on the counter with Pain, Buhagiar and O'Donovan ripping us to pieces.

I'm out of likes....

this is true

major problem, we just can't put a team to the sword.

5 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

The red card incident happened right in front of me and I understand why it was given.  It was a clear whack to the face and looked bad in real time ... was just plain dumb by O'Donovan.  A ridiculous way to get sent off.

Same here went home and saw the replay clear red card 

40 minutes ago, haz said:

The stats show that we were very dominant during the game. If we had scored another 2 goals then we would have complete different thoughts on how we played.

CityvsMariners3.JPG

Given my thoughts on how we played are mostly concern about where our goals will come from, I agree. But look at the stats. Only two goals and 34% shooting accuracy? Woeful, and we won't be playing a 10 man CCM next week.

13 minutes ago, japiedog said:

I'm out of likes....

this is true

major problem, we just can't put a team to the sword.OO

On a slightly different aspect of the match...I was impressed by a couple of those Central Coast young players. Especially the winger who provided the cross for O'Donovan's goal. Don't know their names, but they looked superior to, say, Kamau.

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

On a slightly different aspect of the match...I was impressed by a couple of those Central Coast young players. Especially the winger who provided the cross for O'Donovan's goal. Don't know their names, but they looked superior to, say, Kamau.

You mean Connor Pain?

Sloppy tracking of Donovan for that goal, but they did get lucky with the deflection off of Franjic. Malik had covered that line coming back in.

IMO CCM were absolute garbage last night and were lucky that Izzo played one of his best ever games and we missed several sitters.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kinnibari said:

Given my thoughts on how we played are mostly concern about where our goals will come from, I agree. But look at the stats. Only two goals and 34% shooting accuracy? Woeful, and we won't be playing a 10 man CCM next week.

Exactly what I mean, if we had actually converted our chances (looking at you Fernando) we would be saying much different things.

Is it just me or does it seem like Bruno plays for the foul too much? Just seems like he would rather play for the foul than get on with just playing for the ball etc. The last few games and espeically when i'm at the games, it seems like he has gotten a little lazier and with teams figuring out how we get the ball to him (the usually pop a player infront of him to cut that pass off in towards him), it's like he has resorted to play for the foul more than anything

• Like 2

Is there any chance we can turn the music down before the game, fuck it was loud last night

And,  can we get a replay on the screen when something slightly controversial happens,  3 games in a row no one knew what going on with a red card.  You get punished for being at game 

4 minutes ago, neio said:

Is there any chance we can turn the music down before the game, fuck it was loud last night

And,  can we get a replay on the screen when something slightly controversial happens,  3 games in a row no one knew what going on with a red card.  You get punished for being at game 

I've sent messages to the Club about the music level and the "warm up guy"

I'm an old muso, so I'm used to playing and listening to music at earbleed levels, but this is over the top

It's so loud that you can't have a conversation with someone sitting next to you, let alone a few seats along

As for replays, it's long been the case that they don't show replays ( on the stadium screens) of "contentious issues"

Just now, japiedog said:

As for replays, it's long been the case that they don't show replays ( on the stadium screens) of "contentious issues"

I thought this as well but last week they showed berisha red card on the screen at game, so I think it's a club decision 

8 minutes ago, neio said:

1 minute ago, japiedog said:

I've sent messages to the Club about the music level and the "warm up guy"

I'm an old muso, so I'm used to playing and listening to music at earbleed levels, but this is over the top

It's so loud that you can't have a conversation with someone sitting next to you, let alone a few seats along

Plenty of people have contacted the club about the PA volume and generally about Nathan Strempel (the "announcer"), but like many things nothing changes. At one stage I contacted AAMI Park about it, but again "no-one wanted to know." Other than to write to the club (as opposed to e-mail) or to raise the issue through the Fan Representative Group I don't know what to suggest.

Noise-Induced Hearing Loss is a serious OHS issue in the workplace, musos like japiedog are well aware of the problem, and of course as people get older they start to lose their hearing acuity naturally,and IMO the club/venue is being very irresponsible in this respect. Once your hearing acuity is diminished it can never be recovered. You may think that you've recovered when you wake up the following morning, but the damage to your hearing caused by the night before is permanent.

I urge everyone to contact the club again on this matter.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, japiedog said:

I just pop open the foxtel app on my phone to watch replays like the red card last night. Only takes 30 seconds to see it then back to the game.

Having finally watched the replay in its entirety, I'm getting sick of our Jekyll and Hyde performances.

The fact we were 2ND after round 10 means that when we're on song, we are the benchmark team of the comp. Add to that we played Brisbane, Sydney and then Victory (the other top 4 teams) in the direct aftermath of the mid week Cup final (whereby our best 11 was going to be overloaded game time wise to cover with 3 games in seven days in the lead up to Brisbane game - the first of the three successive tough league games) and any number of questionable decisions against us (ie Bobos lack of red & pen for Sydney, Berishia scoring a winner from offside during the last derby).

IMO we have had a few too many things go against us and have had a much tougher draw at different stages than people might realise (particularly when you throw Sydney in the cup final into the mixer, that was 4 games against best three remaining sides in 17 days) regardless of how inconsistent we've been.

That leaves me inclined to think we are set for a massive run at finals since we are still third despite the setbacks.

As I said tho, we are way too Jekyll and Hyde. CCM should have been put away last night, as should have Adelaide last week and both CCM and Perth a couple of weeks back.

Something has to be done to bring back the confidence from when we smashed victory at the start of the season.

1 hour ago, nickromas said:

Is it just me or does it seem like Bruno plays for the foul too much? Just seems like he would rather play for the foul than get on with just playing for the ball etc. The last few games and espeically when i'm at the games, it seems like he has gotten a little lazier and with teams figuring out how we get the ball to him (the usually pop a player infront of him to cut that pass off in towards him), it's like he has resorted to play for the foul more than anything

I think it's more to do with Fornaroli constantly being fouled a shite load, and he's simply trying to bring it to the refs attention.

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nickromas said:

I doubt that there was a single time that he was anywhere near the ball that he wasn't being held by the arm. IMO on at least two occasions he was the last man in on goal from long clearances by Bouzanis, which could well have merited red cards against the defenders.

However, that said, if the opposition has two men on Bruno it must mean that we have a player elsewhere who is unmarked. If we accelerated our ball movement we could take advantage of that. Either way we should be able to win.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rayv36 said:

I thought Caceres' cameo was very good, if only he could produce this consistently every week.

Very good is an understatement. In only 10 minutes he set Bruno up twice with great skills, vision and quality passing and was himself close to scoring if it wasn't for Bruno tackling him. Brilliant is more adequate.

Are the likes of Cahill, Brattan, Colazo, Bruno, Kamau consistent every week? No, they aren't. In fact they've been more consistently bad than good but for some reason they must always start.

In order to be consistant, a player needs to be given the opportunity of playing consistently every week ( more than 10 mins / game ) and in their position.

If Cahill or any of the untouchables, do what young Caceres did yesterday, we wouldn't hear the end of it.  

I agree Caceras' cameo was fantastic. We looked like a quality team with him playing through the midfield. He needs to bring it more but the midfield worked with him there.  

Thinking more about last night and the role of Cahill debated on here, I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of his playing history at Milwall/Everton and how he was used? I'm totally ignorant if he's played with a striker similar to Bruno, but given the turnover in the English leagues at some point he must have played with someone like this, given the length of his career.  I've followed him closely as a Socceroo but club football history a bit of mystery to me. Has anyone any idea how we could use him better given his past form? Cue the Lions and Toffees fans.

At the end of the day football is advanced problem solving  I suspect the answer to our problems has been addressed before - even as he's slowed down. 

7 hours ago, playmaker said:

Red.

Lack of duty of care, arm fully extended at the player's head, eyes for the player and arm in an unnatural position relative to the body motion.

Red card.

If that was my teammate that got belted I would be pretty pissed off as well and discussing with the ref why a red should be issued.

As for the refs, they are all substandard and the FFA should replace them all with Marquee refs if they really want the game to grow.

Linesman should be suspended for a month without pay for making critical mistakes in a match.

Red for me, this being the reason.  Deliberate and intentional.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, haz said:

Exactly what I mean, if we had actually converted our chances (looking at you Fernando) we would be saying much different things.

Of course but that's because you win games by converting chances not by creating them. Its the difference between hitting the golf ball into the hole versus hitting it somewhere onto the green

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Caceras has done nothing all season and suddenly after 10 good minutes we're happy to hand him a starting roll? Cmon guys, cmon.

Exactly!!!

Leading against the bottom of the ladder team with only 10 men with 10 mins to go - cmon that's Caceres' big stage. Absolutely laughable to think he warrants a startup. 

He's like a racehorse who comes flying from last to run an eye catching 4th and then continually does nothing afterwards when all of your coin is on him - until you send him back to the country to run another eye catching 4th...

Will only change my mind when i see him take charge in a big game. 

18 hours ago, Dylan said:

lol @ those who are saying CCM played well last night. Even before the red they were struggling. In fact, if it stayed 11v11 we probably would have won by more

Before the red, we didn't really create any chances and a lot of long balls over the top to Kamau or straight to Bruno were our go to attacks, I don't think we looked convincing.

But credit to the team for dominating afterwards, sometimes when the opposition cop a red teams can struggle, but we came out on top.

On 20/01/2017 at 0:05 PM, haz said:

Hold on though, isn't that the point? That we routinely dominate the stats in every area other than the score. This goes back to even the Heart days under Aloisi, when, as much as we hate to admit it, he actually had a point: that there wasn't a whole lot he could do about players like Mifsud and Williams constantly butchering regulation chances.

We routinely lose and draw games that we should have won easily. Dominate the first 30 minutes, fart arse around and let  the opposition stay in the game and build confidence for the next 50 minutes and then give up a counter attack goal to draw or lose in the last 10 minutes. That's the City formula. That's why it's pretty tough to take solace in the fact that we dominated the possession, shots and shots on target stats. We pretty much always do that and we still regularly draw and lose those games.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SF33 said:

Hold on though, isn't that the point? That we routinely dominate the stats in every area other than the score. This goes back to even the Heart days under Aloisi, when, as much as we hate to admit it, he actually had a point: that there wasn't a whole lot he could do about players like Mifsud and Williams constantly butchering regulation chances.

We routinely lose and draw games that we should have won easily. Dominate the first 30 minutes, fart arse around and let  the opposition stay in the game and build confidence for the next 50 minutes and then give up a counter attack goal to draw or lose in the last 10 minutes. That's the City formula. That's why it's pretty tough to take solace in the fact that we dominated the possession, shots and shots on target stats. We pretty much always do that and we still regularly draw and lose those games.

Then common sense says we should make some "tactical" changes but do we oh no that would be to to easy because as we all know commonsense died  a few years ago. 

Edited by johnno cpfc

On 21/01/2017 at 4:16 PM, SF33 said:

...and that's why it's hard to build our attendances any faster than a few thousand a season extra

• Like 1

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

...and that's why it's hard to build our attendances any faster than a few thousand a season extra

I have little doubt that if we bossed the season the way that Sydney has (so far), we could have been looking at an average home attendance of 15,000 next season.

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The season average for non-derbies grows by only a few hundred per season.

If I'd been making the decision to move to a full membership on the basis of this season, rather than last, I'm not sure I'd have made the commitment.  We're not going to grow much at all on the basis of this season's performances.

Watched O'Donovan v Jakobson as it happened through my binoculars and so have a clear view. It seemed a pretty clear straight red card to me so I'd be surprised if the result was anything different. Not only had he looked in advance to size up Jakobson for the punch but he had a closed fist

Edited by belaguttman

On 1/20/2017 at 5:01 PM, kingofhearts said:

Caceras has done nothing all season and suddenly after 10 good minutes we're happy to hand him a starting roll? Cmon guys, cmon.

I get your point but at the same time he really couldn't of done much more to warrant a crack in the first 11 or at least get more game time. IMO he's a terrific footballer just lacking in confidence. If we can show him a bit of faith and give him a consistent run I think he adds another dimension to our side. 

IMO it seems clear that the guys we have invested decent coin in e.g. Kamau, Cahill, Cozalo get an unlimited amount of opportunities to show their worth while our 'squadies' like Caceres, Fitzgerald and Retre yo-yo in and out of the squad irrespective of their performances. I think all 3 of them would currently improve our side in the short term. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LB said:

I get your point but at the same time he really couldn't of done much more to warrant a crack in the first 11 or at least get more game time. IMO he's a terrific footballer just lacking in confidence. If we can show him a bit of faith and give him a consistent run I think he adds another dimension to our side. 

IMO it seems clear that the guys we have invested decent coin in e.g. Kamau, Cahill, Cozalo get an unlimited amount of opportunities to show their worth while our 'squadies' like Caceres, Fitzgerald and Retre yo-yo in and out of the squad irrespective of their performances. I think all 3 of them would currently improve our side in the short term. 

Retre? Have no idea what people see in him.

Next.