Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

A Fail from Richard Parkin

Fail – Melbourne City

If ever there’s been an advertisement for a reduced finals series it is Warren Joyce’s Melbourne City. With the facilities, youth investment and squad experience at his disposal, what has been served up on a regular basis leaves the club vulnerable to accusations that winning football games simply isn’t a priority.

Established Australian pros look like they’re simply cashing paychecks, visa signings such as Michael O’Halloran and Florin Berenguer have been huge disappointments, and young talents like Lachlan Wales or even Riley McGree have failed to progress in this environment.

As Jonathan Howcroft’s excellent column surmises: “The club began with a Heart – in name at least – but has always struggled to locate its soul.”

Strengths: Despite the handwringing, City still possess genuine match winners – Ritchie De Laet, Jamie Maclaren, Luke Brattan, even McGree if Joyce could find a role for him to excel in. Despite the gloom a finals run isn’t out of the question if the big players stand tall.

Weaknesses: Motivation. Four clubs have had horror seasons – and City have lost to all four of them. Fans don’t want to be there, players don’t want to be there. Why are we doing this?

4 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Saw this article and appreciated the kicking the club got. We live in hope that the bad press will eventually hit home. 

Well, we fans don't count, we know that. No-one's listening to us.

Adverse media comment could change things, if it could be sustained, but media coverage of the A-League is weak and ephemeral at best. In about 6-7 weeks time the league will disappear off the media radar for about six months.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

According to HS city are considering giving Joyce an extension 🤦‍♂️

To me that line in the article looks pretty flimsy. Like it could be true or the person quoted said we are considering all options which would make the whole ‘considering an extension’ line technically correct 

• Like 1

Why do I think that the story published about Joyce having the shits this week (literally) was just a pay-back for him being rude after his last post-game interview...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/ill-and-under-fire-melbourne-city-coach-warren-joyce-has-attempted-to-explain-his-midinterview-walk-out/news-story/6cf68c17a6bafa7f54e46726e7be72b8?nk=dbee49f2b4642057bfcdc598ec96b448-1554401890

Edited by haz

UOTIH : Joyce was fully entitled to tell Garb to go fuck himself for asking him that question pitch side.
Not that i'd expect him to answer it anyway, but if they want to ask in a mid week presser, fair enough. On game day, and ESPECIALLY on the side of the bloody pitch, imo its absolutely acceptable to tell the journo fuck off with scurrilous, non-game related questions.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

UOTIH : Joyce was fully entitled to tell Garb to go fuck himself for asking him that question pitch side.
Not that i'd expect him to answer it anyway, but if they want to ask in a mid week presser, fair enough. On game day, and ESPECIALLY on the side of the bloody pitch, imo its absolutely acceptable to tell the journo fuck off with scurrilous, non-game related questions.

Joyce is the public face of the club. Pressure on him has been building for weeks, and this sort of question was almost certain to come up, especially after Wanderers had given us a good whopping. If he was ill - which I have no reason to disbelieve because we've never seen that sort of thing from Joyce before - then the club knew that and instructed PK or Vidmar to do the talking after the match.

Whatever the reason the incident should not have occurred.

47 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Joyce is the public face of the club. Pressure on him has been building for weeks, and this sort of question was almost certain to come up, especially after Wanderers had given us a good whopping. If he was ill - which I have no reason to disbelieve because we've never seen that sort of thing from Joyce before - then the club knew that and instructed PK or Vidmar to do the talking after the match.

Whatever the reason the incident should not have occurred.

I've got no problem with the question in general, but there's a time and a place and pitchside is definitely not it.I think Garb was out of line to ask it at that point in time.
I don't buy their excuses either fwiw, the club is just trying to make a valid excuse for something that doesnt need one in order to satisfy the outrage mob imo. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Can we please stop defending this knobhead?

There is such a thing as “no comment” .....::walking away is just childish regardless of how ridiculous the reporters are. It’s not like it was a strange unrelated question. Fuck Joyce, more of this please, he’s been given way too much credit.

If any of the players pull of this sort of behaviour he will bannish then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Can we please stop defending this knobhead?

There is such a thing as “no comment” .....::walking away is just childish regardless of how ridiculous the reporters are. It’s not like it was a strange unrelated question. Fuck Joyce, more of this please, he’s been given way too much credit.

If any of the players pull of this sort of behaviour he will bannish then.

You need to get out of your head that defending him from one charge means you're defending him on all of them. Joyce has plenty of flaws, and should be boned accordingly. Doesn't mean everything he does is bad though.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bt50 said:

You need to get out of your head that defending him from one charge means you're defending him on all of them. Joyce has plenty of flaws, and should be boned accordingly. Doesn't mean everything he does is bad though.

We had just lost. And lost badly and the first question asked is based on some rumour and past connection. 

Garb should off gone with a simple question of what went wrong.

Why did you play x and what was x doing. 

But no he asked a tabloid style question only asked to get a reaction. 

And Joyce fell for it. 

Poor question and idiotic response. 

20 minutes ago, Jovan said:

We had just lost. And lost badly and the first question asked is based on some rumour and past connection. 

And Joyce fell for it. 

Yeh not unfair perhaps. Maybe wasnt the best reaction.
I suppose the point being, in isolation, Joyce is copping the heat and Garb is getting none of it, where he probably should be comparatively.

Anyways #joyceout 

36 minutes ago, Jovan said:

And Joyce fell for it. 

Any normal person would of just answered, ' I am not going to answer that can we talk about the game?'

But he is a nice bloke though........

:droy:

.......... when it suits him.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Well this was very bad, who does he think he is - Van Gaal or Mourinho or something? Handling the press is part of your job but I guess because he lost he so can act like a 12 year old.

I just think that you are being way too kind. “Next question or no comment” is the right response.

The organisation is in freefall now. Palatsidis has quit

It’s understood the 53-year-old, who masterminded National Youth League titles in 2015 and 2017, was disillusioned with the direction the club was taking from the top down.

He will be replaced by Rado Vidosic, the veteran former Brisbane Roar caretaker and assistant, who was also on the coaching staff of Sydney FC, Melbourne Victory and Wellington Phoenix before last year taking charge of City’s W-League team.

The former South Melbourne stalwart, who also played in the Greek Superleague, held a number of coaching roles in Greece before joining City in 2012.

But 22 months after the arrival of Joyce he has become the latest coach who finds himself unable to work under the umbrella of the Englishman, who is himself out of contract at season’s end.

Despite being under fire for sixth-placed City’s lack of success - and the acrimonious departure of Bruno Fornaroli - Joyce may yet win a reprieve from the club’s owners, the City Football Group.

Both caretaker Michael Valkanis and assistant Joe Montemurro departed five months after Joyce’s appointment in June, 2017.

Valkanis followed Joyce’s predecessor John van’t Schip to PEC Zwolle in the Netherlands while Montemurro took charge of Arsenal women’s team.

Palatsides, who was also a first team assistant before Joyce’s arrival, has overseen a production line of promising youngsters, not least Socceroos star-in-the-making Daniel Arzani.

He’s also nurtured the likes of Moudi Najjar, Ramy Najjarine, James Delianov, Josh Cavallo, Connor Metcalfe and Dylan Pierias.

And he has helped Luke Duzel, Jordan Bos, Josh Varga, Thomas Lambiris and Ahmad Taleb push into the Joeys squad that qualified for the FIFA Under-17 World Cup to be staged in Brazil in November.

• Like 1

On 05/04/2019 at 6:51 PM, playmaker said:

And the CFG trolls are starting threads that it's the FFA's fault we are in this position.

:hkpalm::droy:

If having an opinion that differs to yours makes me a troll? Then find me a nice little bridge to live under! Do you own a tin foil hat too?

23 hours ago, Dylan said:

Jesus it’s really hard to not want us to miss the finals. Might need something catastrophic to happen to finally result in a clean out 

Foundation member here and never wanted us to lose to make a point even in the dark years of Aloisi. But I'm at the point where I want us to have a catastrophic season just so there are major changes 

58 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Foundation member here and never wanted us to lose to make a point even in the dark years of Aloisi. But I'm at the point where I want us to have a catastrophic season just so there are major changes 

IMO we all just need to let this season play out. A new CEO will take over later this month, so we will, I think, soon see whether it's going to be more of the same or whether some significant changes will finally take place. As I've said before, we need more than just a change in Head Coach/Manager, because IMO the rot does not stop there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

IMO we all just need to let this season play out. A new CEO will take over later this month, so we will, I think, soon see whether it's going to be more of the same or whether some significant changes will finally take place. As I've said before, we need more than just a change in Head Coach/Manager, because IMO the rot does not stop there.

I think its time for you to sweet talk your new mate into some info JW ;)

27 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I think its time for you to sweet talk your new mate into some info JW ;)

I only see him on the train and there are not going to be any of them for the Adelaide match. If I see him again it won't be until the Central Coast match on 26th April.

10 hours ago, belaguttman said:

LOL, Joyce makes Coach Of the Round after spending the whole week sitting on the toilet:tooth:

Long may he reign on the Porcelain Throne

Hahaha love this. As a comment I made a couple days earlier.... The most attractive attacking football we played for months was when Joyce was least involved at training.