Melbourne Football

Season 23/24 - Round 9 - Melbourne City v Visitors Saturday 23rd of December 7:45pm

IssySG

This one is very simple, stop Bruno and you stop them. While everyone is wanking themselves over Victory form. They have 19 goals and he has been involved in 14 of them, looks to me like a 1 man attacking team to me.

Do I have any confidence we can stop him, absolutely not. So probably a 3 or 4 to 1 loss

I guess one positive we are out of the ACL is that Vidmar can do some training work, he has pointed out many times that it has been hard to do much as a head coach because of this. Hopefully we will see an improvement and more cohesion. I think last game was the best we have looked in attack all season, with Vidmar able to better do his job, I expect an improvement.

A derby get's players going, we could play a blinder and blast them out of the park, anything can happen.

10 minutes ago, citypool said:

It's amazing how they are now looking strong and we have gone backwards a bit 

Teague was a brilliant pick up, was playing regularly in the Portuguese 2nd division last season and was a good player for the Aleague before he left. He's their O'Neil, goes about his work unassumingly, but is very effective.

Izzo has been good for them, one of the standout keepers this year.

Machach is a good foreigner, he has been doing bits.

Overall they have done pretty well in recruiting over the last 2 years and have a good balance, attacking wings is their weakest with Folami, Velupilay and Ikon not being the best, or in Ikons case, eternally injured.

Meanwhile we loose 3/4 of our squad and 2 coaches essentially, 3 if you count the assistant. We are in a rebuild period where they have gone through that in previous years and are more settled.

• Like 1

Forgive me if I'm wrong here but isn't any contact to a players face a straight red card?

Just now, kingofhearts said:

Been pretty cagey so far, we need to actually look for our players instead of crossing into the box blindly

Couldn't agree with this more!! We've made some good counter attacks but then almost rush the cross in every single time. Also.. I don't know how many times this season I have counted Jamie Young end up on his ass when he goes to boot the ball out!

8 minutes ago, heart1011 said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong here but isn't any contact to a players face a straight red card?

Couldn't agree with this more!! We've made some good counter attacks but then almost rush the cross in every single time. Also.. I don't know how many times this season I have counted Jamie Young end up on his ass when he goes to boot the ball out!

This guy has refereed the Tehren derby.

18 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Been pretty cagey so far, we need to actually look for our players instead of crossing into the box blindly

You would think we train on these crosses. Jakolis is aiming for first post tap in but JMAC is not there and stands in between their two big CBS. I guess the idea is there as we are never going to out jump them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, heart1011 said:

I was going to say.. Jmac definitely ain't right hey! You can see it so clear. I reckon if Leckie was fit then Jmac wouldn't be playing tonight.

It’s odd. JMAC has historically struggled against their CBs, why even persist for 90min when unfit is odd when you have a better ball playing CF on the bench.

Edited by Mr MO

4 minutes ago, D.B. Cooper said:

Been letting em go all night 

just saying 

Unfortunately that doesn’t suddenly make pulling a player down by shoulder and shirt legal to score a goal. Any shirt pull is foul under the recent rules. We love to be biased.

Edited by Mr MO

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Unfortunately that doesn’t suddenly make pulling a player down by shoulder and shirt legal to score a goal. Any shirt pull is foul under the recent rules. We love to be biased.

Watching it in real time I thought Maclaren had been fouled first. Looked more like six of one and half a dozen... But is what it is. Think we did OK. Arslan and Sakhi both firing in midfield was useful.

Edited by fensaddler

I'm pleased that my scoreline prediction was wrong and pleased that, despite the result, this was our most complete performance of the season.

Positives:

We played to not lose for much of the match, and given where we are, that was a reasonable strategy. Clean sheet.

Very good pressing and gene-pressing from our midfield when we lost the ball, that shielded our backline well and it's no coincidence that we kept a clean sheet.

Aslan is very good to watch.

Aziz's passion drove the whole team; he understands the derby.

Negatives:

Natel is extremely frustrating to watch; he always does something skilful, followed by something a pub team player would do; how did this guy play in the top league in Brazil?

For all the cohesive play, we created very few genuine chances.

• Like 1

Good result given the circumstances.

Vidmar changed it up which is refreshing and good to see the mids cutting off the passing lanes which was something lacking prior to this game. It was the best defensive structure all season.

We are still playing too wide and we struggle to put the ball at Jamie's feet.

With a squad that is obviously lacking in key areas, we did enough to negate their counters, smother the game and provide some real opportunities to score.

Good game.

• Like 5